TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pacific Northwest: AK, WA, ID, MT, OR, WY

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

1. I’ve been playing golf for most of my life and did The First Tee when I was younger, I got serious about golf about 3 years ago and I am currently a 12.5 handicap.

2. I love golf because it was something that my dad and I did together when I was growing up, and it was fun spending time on the course with my dad. I also like how golf teaches about life skills that will be beneficial later on in life.

3. I came to MyGolfSpy because I wanted real reviews that I could trust, and that weren’t just lies to sell a product.  I am also interested interested in testing products to see if they meet what manufacturers are saying about their products so people aren’t buying products with high expectations just to be disappointed.

4. I am from Bothell, WA.  My home course is Mill Creek Country Club, but I like to play any other course in the area when I get the chance.

5. One of the best things about golfing in Washington is that in the summer it’s not too hot to golf, but that also means that the three other seasons here are rain and cold weather.

6. Currently I am a student

7. I picked my username, Booya, because it’s a play on words of my last name, and my friends always yell it when I hit a drive.

1. Ive been playing golf more recently and did a little in high school when my then future FIL wanted to treat me as his golf project. I've improved but still looking to get better. IF I could be more consistent I could be a solid 85-95 golfer although i did my first 18 of the year and shot a 110. Had three pars but had a horrible start to my day

2. I love being outside and that the way you play is mainly in your control. The mental aspect gives me something else to focus on, which is a healthy break from reality

3. Wanting to learn about the latest clubs, possibly be a tester and just be a part of a golf community

4. Born in ID, raised in WI and now living in Beaverton, OR. I love playing Meriwether National but definitely like a variety of courses.

5. Best is in the summer the weather is usually good. Worse is most driving ranges you hit off turf and either have to be either a member of the club or pay extra to hit off grass. Was not like that back in WI.

6. I am an engineer

7. Simple user name I use for other things. Nothing special

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

• 2 weeks later...

I am 62 and been playing golf since I was in my early 20's. I currently carry an 11 handicap. My user name comes from my college nickname.

My home course is Cougar Canyon in the little town of Myrtle Creek, OR.  The best part of Southern Oregon golf is the beautiful days one after the other in the summer. The worst part is golfing in the mud in the winter (no roll and you can lose a ball in the middle of the fairway.).

I love the personal challenge of golf. Every round seems to teach me something, even if it is something I need to relearn. I like that I am competing against myself. I came to MyGolfSpy because I appreciate the fact that it isn't commercialized like so many other sites are.

Welcome @ThumperK, I've played your course, although it's been a long time.  Wasn't called Cougar Canyon then.  I think it was just Myrtle Creek GC.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 2 weeks later...

New guy here from Hillsboro, OR. 

Been playing golf on and off for 20 years, last 5 getting more serious about it. Signed up this year for official handicap. Started at 22, currently down to 18, and my goal before the end of the official golf season is to be around 15. Currently dealing with some shanking of my irons, so working through that currently. 

Work at a local hospital here in town as a CT Tech. Love hanging on the beach and with the family, and playing just about any course around. I just love the game of golf. 

If you're in the area, give me shout, and lets play a round sometime. 

Welcome to the forum @Wade Kilpatrick

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 8/2/2019 at 11:52 PM, Booya said:

1. I’ve been playing golf for most of my life and did The First Tee when I was younger, I got serious about golf about 3 years ago and I am currently a 12.5 handicap.

2. I love golf because it was something that my dad and I did together when I was growing up, and it was fun spending time on the course with my dad. I also like how golf teaches about life skills that will be beneficial later on in life.

3. I came to MyGolfSpy because I wanted real reviews that I could trust, and that weren’t just lies to sell a product.  I am also interested interested in testing products to see if they meet what manufacturers are saying about their products so people aren’t buying products with high expectations just to be disappointed.

4. I am from Bothell, WA.  My home course is Mill Creek Country Club, but I like to play any other course in the area when I get the chance.

5. One of the best things about golfing in Washington is that in the summer it’s not too hot to golf, but that also means that the three other seasons here are rain and cold weather.

7. I picked my username, Booya, because it’s a play on words of my last name, and my friends always yell it when I hit a drive.

Welcome to MGS!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 8/27/2019 at 1:02 PM, Wade Kilpatrick said:

New guy here from Hillsboro, OR. 

Been playing golf on and off for 20 years, last 5 getting more serious about it. Signed up this year for official handicap. Started at 22, currently down to 18, and my goal before the end of the official golf season is to be around 15. Currently dealing with some shanking of my irons, so working through that currently. 

Work at a local hospital here in town as a CT Tech. Love hanging on the beach and with the family, and playing just about any course around. I just love the game of golf. 

If you're in the area, give me shout, and lets play a round sometime. 

Welcome to the forum!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 8/2/2019 at 10:52 PM, Booya said:

I'm just up the road in Mount Vernon. You missed our nw golfspy golf trip to Spokane, but if you ever want to get a round in let me know. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Hey everyone!!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?   19.8

2. What do you love about golf? I love the challenge, a sport I can stay competitive in now that I am in my 30s, and an awesome hobby with friends and family!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy?  Meeting other spies and improving my game.

4. Where are you from? Beaverton, OR What is your home course? Redtail.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is the proximity to some really great courses. Worst would have to be cost and inconsistency of courses.

6. What do you do for a living? Nonprofit Operations professional.

Driver: :titelist-small: Titleist 917D2 10.5, Regular flex - Diamana Blue Shaft, Golf Pride MCC+4 Gray
3W: :taylormade-small: Taylormade M4 HL, Fujikura Atmos Red 6 Fairway, Golf Pride MCC+4 Gray
5W: :taylormade-small: Taylormade r9, Fujikura, Taylormade Grips
4h: :titelist-small: 818 H1 21*, Tensi Red CK 60HY, Golf Pride Tour Velvet Red
5-PW: :taylormade-small: M5 RH .5*-Flat, True Temper XP100 R300, Golf Pride MCC+4 Gray
Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50* F, 54* S, 58* D, True Temper Wedge flex, Golf Pride MCC+4 Gray
Putter: :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2, SC grip
Ball: :titelist-small: Tour Soft
Tracked With: :Arccos:

1 hour ago, Caleb said:

Hey everyone!!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?   19.8

2. What do you love about golf? I love the challenge, a sport I can stay competitive in now that I am in my 30s, and an awesome hobby with friends and family!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy?  Meeting other spies and improving my game.

4. Where are you from? Beaverton, OR What is your home course? Redtail.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is the proximity to some really great courses. Worst would have to be cost and inconsistency of courses.

6. What do you do for a living? Nonprofit Operations professional.

Welcome Caleb!!  My wife and I were just at Redtail 10 days ago.  Bought her new golf shoes on sale; good prices.  We travel through the Portland area every month or two to see my dad in Corvallis (my home town).  Maybe we can hook up for a game one of these days.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Welcome Caleb!!  My wife and I were just at Redtail 10 days ago.  Bought her new golf shoes on sale; good prices.  We travel through the Portland area every month or two to see my dad in Corvallis (my home town).  Maybe we can hook up for a game one of these days.

Absolutely! I’m a year-around player and I am always down for a round. Redtail is a pretty decent course. Thank you for the welcome!

Driver: :titelist-small: Titleist 917D2 10.5, Regular flex - Diamana Blue Shaft, Golf Pride MCC+4 Gray
3W: :taylormade-small: Taylormade M4 HL, Fujikura Atmos Red 6 Fairway, Golf Pride MCC+4 Gray
5-PW: :taylormade-small: M5 RH .5*-Flat, True Temper XP100 R300, Golf Pride MCC+4 Gray
Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50* F, 54* S, 58* D, True Temper Wedge flex, Golf Pride MCC+4 Gray

Hello, fellow PNWers! Relatively new to the MGS network and enjoying it so far!

Here's a bit about me.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?
Started ~20 years ago when my dad cut down an old set for me, but has been very on-and-off, currently on the upswing again. Currently I'm playing at at 16.8 HC. 

What do you love about golf?
There are lots of things, from making memories with my father/grandfather/brothers/friends, being outside on a beautiful day, getting some much-needed exercise, and the joy of striking a pure iron into the green or lacing one down the middle off the tee.

However, the thing that is most appealing is the fact that it's an individual sport and all the benefits that come with that. It's me-against-me. I can go out and play without having to rely on anybody else (both for score and for required players). It gives me a hobby that I can work on and grow in and hopefully play throughout my life.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?
I saw some videos on YouTube about the Callaway golf ball controversy and appreciated the insight of a group whose goal is to provide thorough, unbiased reviews of products. I find that most reviews are weighed heavily on the positives of a product, and while I appreciate hearing about the good the realist in me KNOWS that there must be flaws and I feel that MGS has done a good job providing the full details on the products they review rather than cherrypicking the stats that are favorable.

Where are you from? What is your home course?
I grew up in BFE Michigan but have lived in the outskirts of PDX for the last 6 years, currently residing in Newberg. My home course would be Chehalem Glenn (it's the only game in town) but we're fortunate enough in this are to have quite a few quality courses that aren't too far of a drive away.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?
The best part has to be the variety of courses, not only in quality and price but also in landscape. Some courses are more flat while others have quite a few hills that vary quite a bit from the courses in MI I grew up playing (Chehalem Glenn has quite a few forced carries).

The worst thing is easily the rainy season, though coming from MI I always appreciate the random sunny day in February where I can sneak out.

What do you do for a living?
Web Development

How’d you pick your user name?
An old gamertag from Xbox back in college. I don't remember how the name came to be but it's been my username on most forums in the past.

WITB 2019

Driver: :titelist-small: 913 D2

3 Wood: :ping-small: G15 15°

4-PW: :cleveland-small: CG16 Black Pearl

48°: :cleveland-small: RTX 588

54°: :callaway-small: X Series Jaws

60°: :cleveland-small: RTX 588

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Anser 2 B

Ball::bridgestone-small: e12 Speed

On 9/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, tinysauce said:

Here's a bit about me.

Started ~20 years ago when my dad cut down an old set for me, but has been very on-and-off, currently on the upswing again. Currently I'm playing at at 16.8 HC. 

There are lots of things, from making memories with my father/grandfather/brothers/friends, being outside on a beautiful day, getting some much-needed exercise, and the joy of striking a pure iron into the green or lacing one down the middle off the tee.

However, the thing that is most appealing is the fact that it's an individual sport and all the benefits that come with that. It's me-against-me. I can go out and play without having to rely on anybody else (both for score and for required players). It gives me a hobby that I can work on and grow in and hopefully play throughout my life.

I saw some videos on YouTube about the Callaway golf ball controversy and appreciated the insight of a group whose goal is to provide thorough, unbiased reviews of products. I find that most reviews are weighed heavily on the positives of a product, and while I appreciate hearing about the good the realist in me KNOWS that there must be flaws and I feel that MGS has done a good job providing the full details on the products they review rather than cherrypicking the stats that are favorable.

I grew up in BFE Michigan but have lived in the outskirts of PDX for the last 6 years, currently residing in Newberg. My home course would be Chehalem Glenn (it's the only game in town) but we're fortunate enough in this are to have quite a few quality courses that aren't too far of a drive away.

The best part has to be the variety of courses, not only in quality and price but also in landscape. Some courses are more flat while others have quite a few hills that vary quite a bit from the courses in MI I grew up playing (Chehalem Glenn has quite a few forced carries).

The worst thing is easily the rainy season, though coming from MI I always appreciate the random sunny day in February where I can sneak out.

Web Development

An old gamertag from Xbox back in college. I don't remember how the name came to be but it's been my username on most forums in the past.

Welcome to MSG! Chehalam Glenn is pretty hilly. Being in PDX too,  I have played there a few times. It really is not too bad of a course, especially before/after doing some wine tasting!

On 9/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, tinysauce said:

Here's a bit about me.

Web Development

Welcome to MGS from Keizer. Chehalem is one of the tougest courses Ive played. Navigating it with zero knowledge of the course proved most difficult. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Michael from Boise Idaho here!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have played golf for about 10 years but only hit the driving range and played every once in a while.  Starting last year I got really serious about getting better.  Practice every day, simulator installed in garage, lessons.  For the first time the score has been dropping from 110s to 100s to 90s and for the first time in 80s but really still 90s player (although much higher if on a narrow course where the penalty shots mount up).  It is a whirlwind of disappointment slightly outweighed by thrills. Still have a long way to go.
  2. What do you love about golf?

I love the challenge to improve.  I am a bit OCD as is and golf just feeds it in a good and bad way.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I love golf so much I am constantly online reading, watching, learning.  But I try to avoid swing mechanics stuff as I have enough running through my brain as is (with exception of Russell Heritage as his focus is similar to my coach's focus).  MyGolfSpy is perfect interesting / fun alternative non-swing instruction content.
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

Boise Idaho.  I like to play at a place called River Birch as it is SUPER wide open / forgiving.
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Golf is relatively inexpensive compared to other areas. Some beautiful courses as well.
  6. What do you do for a living?

I serve the people - government policy and legal analyst.
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

It's my actual name.

Driver: TaylorMade M1
5W: TaylorMade M4
4h:
:cobra-small: One Length 25*
5-GW:
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, Project X 5.5
Wedges:
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* S, 58* D, True Temper Wedge Flex
Putter:  Evnroll 
 ER5 Black Hatchback
Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x when with others who can spot / Callaway Bold Superhot when alone or T off near driving range (so I can find my ball)

1 hour ago, Michael M. said:

Michael from Boise Idaho here!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have played golf for about 10 years but only hit the driving range and played every once in a while.  Starting last year I got really serious about getting better.  Practice every day, simulator installed in garage, lessons.  For the first time the score has been dropping from 110s to 100s to 90s and for the first time in 80s but really still 90s player (although much higher if on a narrow course where the penalty shots mount up).  It is a whirlwind of disappointment slightly outweighed by thrills. Still have a long way to go.
  2. What do you love about golf?

I love the challenge to improve.  I am a bit OCD as is and golf just feeds it in a good and bad way.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I love golf so much I am constantly online reading, watching, learning.  But I try to avoid swing mechanics stuff as I have enough running through my brain as is (with exception of Russell Heritage as his focus is similar to my coach's focus).  MyGolfSpy is perfect interesting / fun alternative non-swing instruction content.
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

Boise Idaho.  I like to play at a place called River Birch as it is SUPER wide open / forgiving.
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Golf is relatively inexpensive compared to other areas. Some beautiful courses as well.
  6. What do you do for a living?

I serve the people - government policy and legal analyst.
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

It's my actual name.

Welcome Michael... from SE Washington State!!  Hopefully, @PING Apologist #9 will chime in as well.  He's in Boise. Maybe you can arrange a meet.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? Started playing in high school with a few buddies from the baseball team. Played somewhat regularly through college but slowed way down afterwards. Started it taking it somewhat seriously this past year. 

2.  What’s your handicap or normal score? Currently a 14 with a goal if getting into the single digits someday!

3. What do you love about golf? I love being outdoors. Whether with friends or by myself it is so peaceful and therapeutic to play golf. 

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Listen to their podcast and wanted to check out the forum.  Do you already know any other Spies? I do not. 

5. Where are you from? Grew up on the California Coast and have been in Oregon for 4 years. What is your home course? Forest Hills in Cornelius, OR. 

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? We have some amazing courses with unreal views. Worst would be the winter weather. 

7. What do you do for a living? Paint Sales

8. How’d you pick your user name? It just my name with my baseball number. 

Driver:  :taylormade-small: SIM Max w/ Ventus Blue

3W: :taylormade-small: M4

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 2

Irons: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0211 w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG 52, 56, 60

Putter::cameron-small: Studio 3.5

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RX 

On 9/30/2019 at 1:04 PM, CGERICKE22 said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? Started playing in high school with a few buddies from the baseball team. Played somewhat regularly through college but slowed way down afterwards. Started it taking it somewhat seriously this past year.

Welcome to the happiest place in earth, if only there were churros. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Welcome @CGERICKE22, make yourself at home..

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys and Girls. I'm new to MyGolfSpy, and this is the first forum I have posted to. Have to start somewhere, right?

My wife and I live in Friday Harbor, Washington in the San Juan Islands. I'm 74, so I suspect I am one of the older guys on this site. I'm not yet retired, and don't plan to. I own a water resource consulting company. My handle reflects that I owned and flew light aircraft for many years, with single-engine land, single-engine sea, and instrument ratings. Didn't fly enough to maintain my desired proficiency, so I sold the plane a couple years ago.  

We have a nice little club with a 9-hole course here on the island. Great conditioning, small greens, a few ponds, and too damn many trees. We also belong to a course in New Zealand (Taupo Golf Club), where we spend 10 weeks each winter (our winter = their summer, how convenient). TGC has two 18 hole courses, one roughly comparable to ours here and the other a real championship track. I play a lot with the "Vets" (old guys) there. My Handicap Index is 16.8 here, but for some reason it is always a couple strokes higher in New Zealand. I play 50 to 70 rounds a year - about 35 in New Zealand and the same or a few less in the Pacific Northwest, mostly because my wife and I go cruising in British Columbia in the summers. (This year we finally made it to Southeast Alaska. That takes a while at 6.5 kt.)

Best thing about golf here on the island is the group of guys I play with. Best thing about the PacNW is the abundance of really good courses no one knows about. Gamble Sands is way out back of the back of beyond in the desert of Eastern Washington, but it is a GREAT (David McClay Kidd) course. New Zealand is kind of the same way. There are more golf courses in New Zealand per capita than any other country on Earth other than Scotland. Every little town seems to have a course and a clubhouse, and the tracks are often quite good. I have played a few where the fairways are "mown" by sheep, and the greens have low electric fences around them to keep the sheep off. Golf there is very egalitarian - everyone plays and everyone is welcome, from the banker to the butcher. 

I started golfing when I was about 14 years old. First got involved by caddying for a friend of my dad. Reason - $5 a round and he let my drive his car to and from the course at 14. I think that was so he could drink a shot of scotch on each tee box. I remember him as a fairly good golfer but a really accomplished drinker. He would let me hit a few shots during his rounds, and I caught the bug. I remember hitch hiking to the course with a buddy before I could drive (legally). It wasn't much of a course, sand greens, a lot more rough than fairways, and a lot of tall unmown areas. But we had so much fun.

I played quite a bit in my first two years of college - even bought a set of Wilson staff woods (real woods) and irons. Then I realized that I better go to class instead. After I started work and got married I basically took 25 years away from golf - from about 25 to 50 - because I couldn't keep from getting angry. I just kept trying (i.e., swinging) harder, and it kept getting worse. Nothing I had ever done in sports couldn't be improved by being more intense. It didn't work for golf. So I hung it up. My sister-in-law was a PGA teaching pro. She advised me that I didn't play golf well enough to get mad about it, but she didn't get through to me. I really regret missing those years now, but that's just water down the creek at this point.  

What do I love about golf? My wife and I play most of our golf together. She plays to a HI of 22 or so, making it a lot of fun. (For many years we also raced one-design sailboats together - the best way I can put it is that she is quietly VERY intensely competitive.) Last year we played in the Five Courses Stableford tournament in Tauranga, New Zealand. Five days, five courses, five rounds, 300+ golfers from all over the world. What a gas!

I found MyGolfSpy by accident because I started watching TXG on YouTube and saw their segment about the infamous golf ball test. I've read many of the Most Wanted articles and enjoy their objective perspectives. Right now I'm really enjoying marathoning the No Putts Given episodes.

I bought a set of Mizuno JPX-919 Hot Metals and a Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid.about six weeks ago. There are my first new clubs in about 10 years. I always thought I didn't play well enough to deserve clubs that good. They were for real golfers. What an idiot! It has been a real eye-opener. My Rocketbalz 3 metal hasn't been out of the bag since. No more surfing eBay for clubs.

I'm mostly looking forward to reading others' posts rather than posting myself. So I may be AWOL from the forum most of the time.

Cheers;

Hecaviator        

58 minutes ago, Hecaviator said:

Hi Guys and Girls. I'm new to MyGolfSpy, 

I'm mostly looking forward to reading others' posts rather than posting myself. So I may be AWOL from the forum most of the time.

Cheers;

Hecaviator        

Welcome welcome. I think I'm about the closest spy to you, being over in Mount Vernon. If you're ever off island and want to get a round in, let me know. 

WITB:

Hi everyone,

I am a new member on the forum, but am a frequent visitor to the site and occasional lurker in the forum. I live in the Bothell/Mill Creek area in WA. 

I consider myself an "aspiring golfer", and am finally taking golf seriously. I first started playing golf at the age of 9, and was a pretty good golfer for a kid that age. My best score at that time was 96, which I considered respectable for being 9 years old. However, I only played for about a year or so and then focused on other sports and hobbies.

I then tried to pick up golfing again in my early 20s, but that lasted only for about a year as well. At that time I was shooting in the low 100s, worse than when I was younger. 

I am now 35 and am taking golf seriously. I started taking regular lessons at Golftec since August, but have only gotten on the course once since I started playing again. I struggle with being reluctant to play on a course until I feel comfortable that I can play "well". Part of my issue is that none of my friends in the area play golf, and don't feel comfortable getting paired up with other random golfers, especially if they are much better than I am. I don't want to be the one that holds them up. 

In the 9 holes that I played, I shot 51, which is not great. I could have easily saved 4 shots by having better course management and not trying to make boneheaded shots, like trying to hit a big fade around trees. And my short game was poor as well. I know I have a lot to work on, but I believe I will soon be able to consistently break 100 on 18 holes, and then in the future break 90. I see the potential, I just need to continue to make progress.

In terms of equipment, I have a taste for expensive/new equipment. Currently in the bag is a PXG 0811 XF Gen 2 driver, Ping G410 2 hybrid, Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals 5-PW, Vokey wedges, and an old White Hot Sabertooth putter. That putter will soon be upgraded to an Evnroll, I have a fitting scheduled coming up at their HQ in Carlsbad. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

In terms of equipment, I have a taste for expensive/new equipment. Currently in the bag is a PXG 0811 XF Gen 2 driver, Ping G410 2 hybrid, Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals 5-PW, Vokey wedges, and an old White Hot Sabertooth putter. That putter will soon be upgraded to an Evnroll, I have a fitting scheduled coming up at their HQ in Carlsbad. 

Definitely on the expensive side of tastes for sure. But those are nice shiny clubs. Are you playing at MCCC or the public courses down there? 

WITB:

5 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Definitely on the expensive side of tastes for sure. But those are nice shiny clubs. Are you playing at MCCC or the public courses down there? 

The plan is to play at public courses for now and eventually join Mill Creek Country Club (potentially).

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

14 hours ago, dlow206 said:

The plan is to play at public courses for now and eventually join Mill Creek Country Club (potentially).

I played a lot at Walter hall, Harbour Pointe and Legion, all different, all fun. Let me know if you want to get a round in. I'm up in Mount Vernon, lots of golf up here too. 

WITB:

8 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I played a lot at Walter hall, Harbour Pointe and Legion, all different, all fun. Let me know if you want to get a round in. I'm up in Mount Vernon, lots of golf up here too. 

Thanks, will have to take you up on that offer in the future. 

How do you like the Evnroll by the way?

Updated 07/15/2022

On 11/9/2019 at 10:29 PM, Hecaviator said:

Hi Guys and Girls. I'm new to MyGolfSpy, and this is the first forum I have posted to. Have to start somewhere, right?

My wife and I live in Friday Harbor, Washington in the San Juan Islands. I'm 74, so I suspect I am one of the older guys on this site. I'm not yet retired, and don't plan to. I own a water resource consulting company. My handle reflects that I owned and flew light aircraft for many years, with single-engine land, single-engine sea, and instrument ratings. Didn't fly enough to maintain my desired proficiency, so I sold the plane a couple years ago.  

We have a nice little club with a 9-hole course here on the island. Great conditioning, small greens, a few ponds, and too damn many trees. We also belong to a course in New Zealand (Taupo Golf Club), where we spend 10 weeks each winter (our winter = their summer, how convenient). TGC has two 18 hole courses, one roughly comparable to ours here and the other a real championship track. I play a lot with the "Vets" (old guys) there. My Handicap Index is 16.8 here, but for some reason it is always a couple strokes higher in New Zealand. I play 50 to 70 rounds a year - about 35 in New Zealand and the same or a few less in the Pacific Northwest, mostly because my wife and I go cruising in British Columbia in the summers. (This year we finally made it to Southeast Alaska. That takes a while at 6.5 kt.)

Best thing about golf here on the island is the group of guys I play with. Best thing about the PacNW is the abundance of really good courses no one knows about. Gamble Sands is way out back of the back of beyond in the desert of Eastern Washington, but it is a GREAT (David McClay Kidd) course. New Zealand is kind of the same way. There are more golf courses in New Zealand per capita than any other country on Earth other than Scotland. Every little town seems to have a course and a clubhouse, and the tracks are often quite good. I have played a few where the fairways are "mown" by sheep, and the greens have low electric fences around them to keep the sheep off. Golf there is very egalitarian - everyone plays and everyone is welcome, from the banker to the butcher. 

I started golfing when I was about 14 years old. First got involved by caddying for a friend of my dad. Reason - $5 a round and he let my drive his car to and from the course at 14. I think that was so he could drink a shot of scotch on each tee box. I remember him as a fairly good golfer but a really accomplished drinker. He would let me hit a few shots during his rounds, and I caught the bug. I remember hitch hiking to the course with a buddy before I could drive (legally). It wasn't much of a course, sand greens, a lot more rough than fairways, and a lot of tall unmown areas. But we had so much fun.

I played quite a bit in my first two years of college - even bought a set of Wilson staff woods (real woods) and irons. Then I realized that I better go to class instead. After I started work and got married I basically took 25 years away from golf - from about 25 to 50 - because I couldn't keep from getting angry. I just kept trying (i.e., swinging) harder, and it kept getting worse. Nothing I had ever done in sports couldn't be improved by being more intense. It didn't work for golf. So I hung it up. My sister-in-law was a PGA teaching pro. She advised me that I didn't play golf well enough to get mad about it, but she didn't get through to me. I really regret missing those years now, but that's just water down the creek at this point.  

What do I love about golf? My wife and I play most of our golf together. She plays to a HI of 22 or so, making it a lot of fun. (For many years we also raced one-design sailboats together - the best way I can put it is that she is quietly VERY intensely competitive.) Last year we played in the Five Courses Stableford tournament in Tauranga, New Zealand. Five days, five courses, five rounds, 300+ golfers from all over the world. What a gas!

I found MyGolfSpy by accident because I started watching TXG on YouTube and saw their segment about the infamous golf ball test. I've read many of the Most Wanted articles and enjoy their objective perspectives. Right now I'm really enjoying marathoning the No Putts Given episodes.

I bought a set of Mizuno JPX-919 Hot Metals and a Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid.about six weeks ago. There are my first new clubs in about 10 years. I always thought I didn't play well enough to deserve clubs that good. They were for real golfers. What an idiot! It has been a real eye-opener. My Rocketbalz 3 metal hasn't been out of the bag since. No more surfing eBay for clubs.

Cheers;

Hecaviator        

Welcome to the Forums!! It nice to see another 70-something here in the Northwest!  I live in the desert in Eastern WA, and my wife and I travel all over the PNW to play golf.  Love Gamble Sands!   Once we played on Orcas Island, not much of a course, but it was nice to get out to play on a nice day.

I would love to visit NZ one of these days; such a beautiful country.  Long way to travel to get out of the cold weather though.  We head to AZ or Palm Springs in January, but only for a couple of weeks since my wife is still working... sort of.

Hope you stick with MGS; it's nice to have someone with both US and international golf experiences.  Enjoy!!