TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pacific Northwest: AK, WA, ID, MT, OR, WY

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been only playing for about 4 years, I was a washed up college baseball player and was introduced to the game by some buddies who played college golf and was hooked.  I now shoot around 80 typically but according to my Arccos I'm a 5 handicap. 🤷‍♂️

2. What do you love about golf? I love the pursuit of perfection and working on your swing and different parts of the game.  Just because there are so many skills to make a good player it's fun to just practice and figure out how to do different shots

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I like the objectiveness they bring to equipment and the way they look at the game.  It's refreshing to read and listen to golf people who aren't bias or stuck in their tradition, just coming from an outsider perspective. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from Wilsonville, OR.  I would say charbonneau golf club is my home course since I play there the most but for a full length 18 I'll go with Langdon Farms or Salem Golf Club. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is the cost, you can play a lot of fun courses for a reasonable amount and most of the are year round.  Also we have Bandon.  Worst is the rain.

6. What do you do for a living? I am a prosthetist and orthotist, which means I see patients and fit them with fake legs and fancy braces to help them walk and live a better life.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's my email handle... not too original. 

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

2 hours ago, Bustaferrari said:

Sup guys,

Been playing for about 3 years now started when I was 35....late bloomer. Still suck ass at driving but iron game is really strong. Hope this goes well and love the game. Stay safe.

Welcome, same age as me and I would consider myself a late bloomer as well. I played for a very short time while I was younger, but just started back up again within the last year. What area of Seattle do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 hours ago, Bustaferrari said:

Sup guys,

Been playing for about 3 years now started when I was 35....late bloomer. 

I took up the game at age 38, but that was a lot more than 3 years ago 🙂  ..... Welcome aboard!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Welcome @twyatt700, and @Bustaferrari. PNW golf is amazing, but only from about mid July through late Sept.. after that All bets are off. Make yourself at home and enjoy.. There's beer in the fridge clean your spikes before entering the clubhouse.. And have fun.. 😀 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

• 2 weeks later...

Good day fellow duffers.  I've been shanking shots since I was about 6 (so more than 40 years) and I the rule seems to be that every time I think I have the game figured out, something else goes awry.  Kind of like life and the fairer sex.  Currently in the single digits and hoping to keep it there.  Life and golf are more fun in the fairway.

I am not sure what I love about the game more, the escape and peace of being outside on a sunny day, or the challenge against myself and the course.  No matter how good/bad your opponent is, you are really playing against yourself and the course out here; can you resist the desire to "grip it and rip it" when a 3-wood or long iron will guarantee you stay in play, or can I play smart and score well?  What will it be today, or this hole?  The psychology really gets me.  There are very few other activities where I can really unwind and get away like I can out on the links. 

I am not sure if I know any other "Spies", but, I have been reading reviews and comments off an on for quite some time and have really enjoyed others perspectives and the reviews.  So, why not become a part of it; I saw another member mention that they need their golf fix, especially during the current situation, I'll echo that as part of the motivation.

I grew up in New England playing the town muni'.  I took lessons, attended clinics, washed carts and walked 36-72 holes a weekend during from sprint through fall.  If I had only been smart enough to listen to the players and the pros back then, who knows what my game might have developed into.  But as a strong kid, it was just "swing out of your shoes" and hope to recover from the trouble spots. My short game and putting got to be really good though and I learned some great recovery skills and I still love the game.  Living in north Kitsap my home course is Gold Mountain.

The Pacific Northwest (PNW) really offers a lot. If you don't mind driving a bit there usually an abundance of opportunity within about an hour of most populated towns and cities. If you don' mind playing in sub-40 degree weather you can play just about years round out here on the Olympic Peninsula and most places east of the cascade range.  Not being a lover of the lower temperatures I play from about May-October but would love to play year round.  For me the 'winter' weather and the cost of some of the tracks up here are the negatives.

I am retired military and currently working on my second career in a similar field.  Working helps keeps me entertained and funds my golf and travel to play golf habits.

My user name comes from my previous life and is my email address, if I could change it it would be something cool like...BeachedAgain or AnotherX or Misseditby...much; Nah, I'll save the time trying come up with another name and use it to work on my putting, indoors.

NorthHole.JPG

Edited by Subdiver1
  • Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

Well Its been about 9 months since I have been on the forum and I see things have changed. Probably for the good. Not being on the forum doesn't mean I've been away from MGS, I have read pretty much every article that comes out. Great stuff and keep up the awesome work that you guys do. I still live in Puyallup Washington but moved my home course to Lake Spanaway GC in Pierce County. I currently have an 8 handicap but been playing really well ( 3 rounds of 74) until the course closures that we're currently dealing with. I am the general manager at a local bowling center here in town. How I picked my user name is that I believe the short game in golf is the most important part of the game. I'm not a long hitter so the short game becomes more relevant to my score. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Superfast Burner

3-wood :mizuno-small: ST180

5-wood :titelist-small: 910F

Hybrid :1332069271_TommyArmour: TA1 

Irons Maltby TE Forged 4 - GW

Wedge :titelist-small: SM6 58/06

Putter :taylormade-small: Monte Carlo Rossa AGSI

Hey, I'm Minesh and live in the Sacramento Area in Northern California, but come to Medford every 2-3 weeks for work. Been playing for about 24 years. I play quite often. In normal times, around once a week from March-October, sometimes twice. In "winter" months it slows down a bit, just due to lack of daylight and rainy days. Sometimes hard to line up free time with breaks in the weather. Still much better than being in snow country where courses completely shut down.

1. How long have you been playing golf? 24 years. Bought my first clubs at age 29.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score? GHIN=18-20

3. What do you love about golf? Relaxing, challenging, and a time to spend with the guys at times. Love going on golf trips with the guys, we've been to Cabo (2x), San Diego, Phoenix, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Bandon, and Scotland (just 4 of us).

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I'd read their reviews on various products I was looking to buy.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course? Grew up in Burbank, currently live in Sacramento area, but spend a lot of time in Medford, OR on business.

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The rounds can be a little slow at times. The weather allows to be able to play almost year round. Golf in Medford is really nice, only 3 public courses but in good/great condition, and afternoon rounds are easily played in 3 hours.

@Subdiver1 @shortgame @EclecticTaste

Welcome to the forums! 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Played as a kid growing up in upstate NY. But playing seriously about 30 years. I'm now about to turn 72. My Index is currently 7.4.

2. What do you love about golf? The camaraderie is great. But most special is the occasional chance to play all by myself early in the morning or early evening. Just walk off the patio to the 14th tee and hit it.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Don't know any other Spies. But came to research equipment and ideas.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm fortunate to live on a great golf course in the Puget Sound area of Western Washington, Canterwood Golf & Country Club. Just southwest from Seattle.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Can play year-round. It doesn't ever get real hot in the summer/fall. And in the winter, we have to put up with a little drizzle at times.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm retired; former SVP for a national investment company.

7. How’d you pick your user name? TTCarrera is my long-time screen name on several motorsports forums I have followed since the beginning of the internet. It references the 3 different Twin Turbo Porsche 911 Carreras I've owned, among several other Porsches over the last 44 years.

download-1.jpg

Edited by TTCarrera

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Picked up the game around 12, I'm 34, hitting balls between trees in the neighbor kid's pasture. After college I started trying to improve and got to an 8. Playing off 10 now and going in the wrong direction. I blame my toddler. 

2. What do you love about golf? The mental challenge. I played basketball through college and battled poor mental chatter my entire playing career. Golf has helped improve that. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've been a member/lurker for a while. I don't buy new clubs that frequently, but I enjoy all the articles on accessories and always come here first when I'm thinking about new shoes or a pushcart. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Grew up in Central Illinois, but currently live in Great Falls, MT. I registered for a handicap at Eagle Falls but I've only played 9 holes there, so it's hard to call it a home course. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Just moved here, so it's hard to say. 

6. What do you do for a living? Air Force

7. How’d you pick your user name? Nickname and old basketball number. 

Hoping Inslee opens up courses on May 5th....🤞

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? - Played in high school, but quit for about 12 years. 12.6 GHIN

2. What do you love about golf? - No matter how well you play, you can improve. And a single focus during the round, nothing else matters for a few hours.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? - I've been reading reviews for 2-3 years, just lurked and never posted.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? - Seattle area. I play all over the region, but it's time to join a club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - Winter rain is the worst, the best is summer golf.

6. What do you do for a living? - Bus Dev

7. How’d you pick your user name? - I live in Washington

3 minutes ago, CC_in_WA said:

Hoping Inslee opens up courses on May 5th....🤞

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? - Played in high school, but quit for about 12 years. 12.6 GHIN

2. What do you love about golf? - No matter how well you play, you can improve. And a single focus during the round, nothing else matters for a few hours.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? - I've been reading reviews for 2-3 years, just lurked and never posted.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? - Seattle area. I play all over the region, but it's time to join a club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - Winter rain is the worst, the best is summer golf.

6. What do you do for a living? - Bus Dev

7. How’d you pick your user name? - I live in Washington

What area of Seattle do you live in?

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

Afternoon Everyone.

Name is Brian been playing since I was 19, took 20+ years off to raise kids, coach and work. Played about 4 times a year during that time, mostly business scrambles.(I'm an 17/18 and its came down 6 shots this year) I've loved this game since the 1st time I hit a ball and it took off like a rocket. I believe it is the hardest and most rewarding game invented. Mygolfspy is just a great resource. Best round on our front was 2 weeks ago 37 front and then a 47 back. !!

My home course is McNary Golf Club in Keizer Oregon. Best the summer months, worst the wetness. But I play in it.

My wife and I own a Staffing Agency, Just started back in this. Prior welder/fabricator production Manager and various sales/Management functions in the

My name is my name..

16 hours ago, bcanini said:

Afternoon Everyone.

Name is Brian been playing since I was 19, took 20+ years off to raise kids, coach and work. Played about 4 times a year during that time, mostly business scrambles.(I'm an 17/18 and its came down 6 shots this year) I've loved this game since the 1st time I hit a ball and it took off like a rocket. I believe it is the hardest and most rewarding game invented. Mygolfspy is just a great resource. Best round on our front was 2 weeks ago 37 front and then a 47 back. !!

My home course is McNary Golf Club in Keizer Oregon. Best the summer months, worst the wetness. But I play in it.

My wife and I own a Staffing Agency, Just started back in this. Prior welder/fabricator production Manager and various sales/Management functions in the

My name is my name..

Welcome! Are the courses closed over there still?

:taylormade-small: M3, 9.5, TENSEI 70, X

:titelist-small: 913F, 15, DIAMANA 72, S

:titelist-small: 913H, 19, DIAMANA 82, S

SUB70 639 CB 4-6 MB 7-PW, KBS TOUR, X

:taylormade-small:ZTP 52, 56 

:vokey-small: SM7 60

:scotty-cameron-1: STUDIO SELECT NEWPORT 2, SUPERSTROKE TRAXION TOUR 2.0

:taylormade-small: TP5X

On 4/18/2020 at 9:03 PM, Kenny B said:

Welcome from eastern WA  @hatchet_44 and @Subdiver1.  Thank you both for your service.

Welcome from eastern WA  @TTCarrera, @EclecticTaste and @shortgame.

Welcome everyone. Glad to see new locals.. Enjoy, and make yourself at home.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:02 PM, bcanini said:

Afternoon Everyone.

My name is my name..

I've played McNary GC a few times many years ago.  I think @pulledabill plays at that course.  You guys should try to get together.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Washington courses are due to open on Tues.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

10 minutes ago, Reesedw said:

Washington courses are due to open on Tues.. 

I am planning to play some time next week, don't know which day yet. Weekend will be too crowded, so going to take a weekday off.

Updated 07/15/2022

21 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I am planning to play some time next week, don't know which day yet. Weekend will be too crowded, so going to take a weekday off.

Nice plan, I wish I could.. looks like I might be able to play mothers day weekend.. that will be the soonest... 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Some of the Washington Tribes decided to go their own way and open sooner.  Salish Cliffs opened Tuesday and White Horse opened Thursday.  It was a scramble Monday to get a tee time at Salish Cliffs for this Saturday, but success was had!  Looking forward to getting back out regularly.

If folks play courses where the cups have been raised above the surface, suggest to the staff they try installing the cubs upside down.  The bottom is concave and sits just about an inch or so below the surface.  You can still put out like normal and easily grab your ball - it never fully drops below the surface.  I played a course in Oregon a few weekends ago and that is how they had their cups installed.  It took some time trusting the ball was going to actually stay in the cup, but it was better than just banging a put up again a raised cup liner, in my opinion.

A quick plug for my men's club.  If you live in the greater Seattle/Bellevue area and want to join an active and fun men's club, consider the men's club at Harbour Pointe Golf Club.  The course is in awesome shape.  The guys did an outstanding job keeping the maintenance up over the past 6 weeks.  We're still working on our revised schedule, but there is a weekend competition at least twice a month, and every Wednesday.  We also have four two-day tournaments throughout the year of varying formats.

Greetings from Portland!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Been playing since I was 4 or 5 years old...parents had a 4wood and a putter cut down for me. Current handicap is about 12

2. What do you love about golf? I love being out on gorgeous golf courses - the peacefulness and quiet ( with the occasional "F O O R R E E")

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Always reading the reviews and articles on upcoming gear!

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Portland, OR - Love all of the local course - especially mountainous areas...Skamania, Indian Creek (Hood River), The Reserve, but really too many fave's to list!

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The view...is the best!   Sometimes drainage can be a problem.

6. What do you do for a living? Am a Sales Engineer for Int'l carrier.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Have used it for years...cannot even remember now!

Callaway Epic Flash 9°

GBB 3 Wood

GBB 7 Heaven Wood

Rogue Pro 4-PW

Mack Daddy 64°

60°

White Hot 2 Mallet 

1. I’ve been playing golf for about 8 years regularly but first started playing at age 10 with my older brother. Im hovering around 12-14 handicap and slowly trying to progress into the single digits. 

2. I just love how anyone can play it. From 3 year olds swinging for the first time with a parent to a grandparent taking a walk with some friends.

3. Wanted to get more involved.looking to get into building/repairing clubs so figured this was a good place to start. And a work friend MALyons31 is a member. 

4. I’m originally from Stafford, VA but live in Kodiak, AK and moving in a few weeks to Cape Cod,MA. We only have 1 course, a nine hole spot surrounded by mountains. Bear Valley Golf Course

5. The views and wildlife are the best. One day you’ll be walking and a Kodiak brown bear pops out of the woods. But the weather can be unpredictable and once it gets into October you aren’t playing until at least May.

6. I’m a member of the USCG since 2010

7. It’s my name. Haha

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to head down to Bandon Dunes for a few day stretch. Does anyone know of any good areas to camp nearby? Was hoping to camp 2 nights, play 3 days.

:titelist-small: TS4, 9.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 6.5TX
:cleveland-small: Launcher 3W, 15, Fujikara Gold X-Stiff
:callaway-small: Apex Pro 19 4-W, Dynamic Gold X100
:vokey-small: SM6 56
:vokey-small: SM7 50, 52, 60
:scotty-small: Circa 62 No. 2
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

5 minutes ago, remste17 said:

I'm looking to head down to Bandon Dunes for a few day stretch. Does anyone know of any good areas to camp nearby? Was hoping to camp 2 nights, play 3 days.

Bullards Beach State Park

Super close, but I believe that it might be closed at the current time.  We stayed in the Yurts here like 20 years ago, and really enjoyed it.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

23 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Bullards Beach State Park

Yeah, parks are closed for now. They may open up by the end of the month, but I'm thinking more public beach access camping. I'm scoping some areas like Agate Beach a little north of Bandon where I can set up a tent on the beach. I'm also open to something inland near the Coquille.

:titelist-small: TS4, 9.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 6.5TX
:cleveland-small: Launcher 3W, 15, Fujikara Gold X-Stiff
:callaway-small: Apex Pro 19 4-W, Dynamic Gold X100
:vokey-small: SM6 56
:vokey-small: SM7 50, 52, 60
:scotty-small: Circa 62 No. 2
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X