Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Pacific Northwest: AK, WA, ID, MT, OR, WY

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

On 2/10/2022 at 12:41 PM, Clayton said:

Hey guys - we are seriously thinking about moving to Vancouver, WA.  I'm originally from Bellingham but have been living in Europe for the past 5+ years (Svensk wife who I met in B'ham).

I am wondering if any of you live in the area and what courses you typically play?  Another member told me there's quite a few MGS peeps in the area. In the pictures of courses and the homes we are looking at, it seems like grass is hard to grow in that area.  So many houses with dying lawns... curious about that.

But I'm mostly looking into the golf there.  Royal Oaks looks really nice but has a $30,000 fee!!!!!

I'll be in Bellingham in March if anyone wants to tee it up and I plan to drive down to Vancouver to take a look around the areas we think we would like to live (open to opinions about that as well).

Hello Clayton and welcome back, to where you decide to call home. I live SW of Portland and travel for golf as there are some really nice courses and willing to drive more than 5 minutes. My brother in law lives in Washougal and is a member at Orchard Hills CC. Its a nice course and a test as some of the holes are tight and the greens always seem to be in good shape no matter what time of year it is. Not sure of the cost but I know it's a crap ton less than $30,000. If that money you want to spend, Waverly, Portland CC, Oregon Golf Club and others are in play as well. Plenty of public courses to choose from on both sides of the river. Washington side I've only played Tri-Mountain, Orchard Hills CC, and Elk Ridge GC. 

Good luck in your search

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

Hey guys - we are seriously thinking about moving to Vancouver, WA.  I'm originally from Bellingham but have been living in Europe for the past 5+ years (Svensk wife who I met in B'ham).

I am wondering if any of you live in the area and what courses you typically play?  Another member told me there's quite a few MGS peeps in the area. In the pictures of courses and the homes we are looking at, it seems like grass is hard to grow in that area.  So many houses with dying lawns... curious about that.

But I'm mostly looking into the golf there.  Royal Oaks looks really nice but has a $30,000 fee!!!!!

I'll be in Bellingham in March if anyone wants to tee it up and I plan to drive down to Vancouver to take a look around the areas we think we would like to live (open to opinions about that as well).

Buddy lives in Camas area so I head up on an occasion to play Camas Meadows. Nice place to play.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Welcome back!!  One of our MGS members, @DPattGolf is an asst pro at Orchard Hills.  You might want to PM him and get his thoughts on what clubs in the area might meet your needs.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm in the Vancouver area. I'm not sure what to tell you about grass being hard to grow, that's not a generalization I'd make (though where I am, in the hills to the east, I've got more clay than I'd like). Last summer was a little on the brutal side, though.

I can't speak to Green Meadows or Royal Oaks, the two main private courses I'm aware of...I haven't played them since high school in the 80s when I was on the golf team.

There are a number of public courses in the immediate area to investigate. Generally what you might expect for a $40-60 green fee. Everyone will have their own thoughts, here are some of mine.

Camas Meadows is probably the most upscale and well kept public course in SW Washington. Not much margin for error off the tee. I like the layout. It's uncommon- stretched out and meandering through the local woodlands and neighborhood...not a lot of side-by-side fairways. Most tees are a 2-3 minute walk from the previous green. Only drawback there comes when I'm walking and my playing partners are riding.

Heron Lakes, just over the river in North Portland, has 36 holes. Being close to where the rivers meet, drainage isn't the best, so not my #1 option for winter golf. Good courses, tons of bunkers.

I play most of my rounds at Tri Mountain in Ridgefield. Wind usually picks up in the afternoons. They keep it in pretty good shape...only complaint I have is with the bunkers (in need of a sand refresh/replenishment).

Lewis River Golf Course, about a 30-45 minute away in Woodland, is probably my second most played course, largely because it's so peaceful and quiet. Front nine has a few holes that are a bit on the short side. #12 is the longest hole I've ever played, 620/647 from white/blue. This course recently came under new ownership, and yesterday the starter told me he's hearing mixed messages about the future.

I'll let others speak to what's over the river in Portland and further south...some really nice courses there. If you don't mind a 5 hour drive, you can also keep going south and head for Bandon.  😁

I hope this overly long post is at least a little bit helpful.

8 hours ago, Gusset said:

I'm in the Vancouver area. I'm not sure what to tell you about grass being hard to grow, that's not a generalization I'd make (though where I am, in the hills to the east, I've got more clay than I'd like). Last summer was a little on the brutal side, though.

I can't speak to Green Meadows or Royal Oaks, the two main private courses I'm aware of...I haven't played them since high school in the 80s when I was on the golf team.

There are a number of public courses in the immediate area to investigate. Generally what you might expect for a $40-60 green fee. Everyone will have their own thoughts, here are some of mine.

Camas Meadows is probably the most upscale and well kept public course in SW Washington. Not much margin for error off the tee. I like the layout. It's uncommon- stretched out and meandering through the local woodlands and neighborhood...not a lot of side-by-side fairways. Most tees are a 2-3 minute walk from the previous green. Only drawback there comes when I'm walking and my playing partners are riding.

Heron Lakes, just over the river in North Portland, has 36 holes. Being close to where the rivers meet, drainage isn't the best, so not my #1 option for winter golf. Good courses, tons of bunkers.

I play most of my rounds at Tri Mountain in Ridgefield. Wind usually picks up in the afternoons. They keep it in pretty good shape...only complaint I have is with the bunkers (in need of a sand refresh/replenishment).

Lewis River Golf Course, about a 30-45 minute away in Woodland, is probably my second most played course, largely because it's so peaceful and quiet. Front nine has a few holes that are a bit on the short side. #12 is the longest hole I've ever played, 620/647 from white/blue. This course recently came under new ownership, and yesterday the starter told me he's hearing mixed messages about the future.

I'll let others speak to what's over the river in Portland and further south...some really nice courses there. If you don't mind a 5 hour drive, you can also keep going south and head for Bandon.  😁

I hope this overly long post is at least a little bit helpful.

Many thanks for taking the time.  Camas Meadows is a bit of a question mark after looking at as much internet information as possible about it.  Looks nice but "unique".  I'd guess I would golf at all of these places a few times a year and have some favorite for whatever reason.  I also think that in WA I won't get to golf as much as I do now with my current situation and will probably build a pretty nice simulator to keep the golf up.  I've been working at a Trackman simulator place for a while and while I don't think I'd choose trackman for indoor, I'm completely addicted to playing simulator golf now.  Hated it 15 years ago when my pops and I tried it but it's so cool and fun now.  I just need to see if it helped my golf for "real outdoor golf" or not.  Again - thanks for taking the time to reply Gusset.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, fellow Washingtonian here! Bend playing golf off and on for about 18 years now, don’t really have a handicap, but if I were to guess it would be 15-20, I just try to keep it under 100 haha.

What I love about golf is how quickly you can see changes within your game when you practice. I love the feeling of a pure golf shot. I love how you can have a horrible round and have one shot that will keep you coming back!

I was brought here just from reading reviews of random golf things and noticed there was a forum, so I decided to join! 

I grew up in the greater Seattle area, through your high school I would say my home course was a tiny 9 hole called Wellington Hills in Woodinville WA. Now most of my rounds are played at another 9 hole called Blue Boy West, in Monroe. I enjoy cheap golf!!!!! Lol

Worst thing about golf in the area is obviously the amount of rain. Best part is all the rain makes you enjoy the sunny rounds even more!

I make my living as a Kia mechanic and have been doing that for almost 13years now.

username is nothing special or unique haha, just a combo of letters within my name.

Looking forward to posting and reading more throughout the forum!

Always go for it

39 minutes ago, Jschifferl said:

Hey guys, fellow Washingtonian here! Bend playing golf off and on for about 18 years now, don’t really have a handicap, but if I were to guess it would be 15-20, I just try to keep it under 100 haha.

What I love about golf is how quickly you can see changes within your game when you practice. I love the feeling of a pure golf shot. I love how you can have a horrible round and have one shot that will keep you coming back!

I was brought here just from reading reviews of random golf things and noticed there was a forum, so I decided to join! 

I grew up in the greater Seattle area, through your high school I would say my home course was a tiny 9 hole called Wellington Hills in Woodinville WA. Now most of my rounds are played at another 9 hole called Blue Boy West, in Monroe. I enjoy cheap golf!!!!! Lol

Worst thing about golf in the area is obviously the amount of rain. Best part is all the rain makes you enjoy the sunny rounds even more!

I make my living as a Kia mechanic and have been doing that for almost 13years now.

username is nothing special or unique haha, just a combo of letters within my name.

Welcome to the forum from east of the Cascades!  Glad you joined us.  there are several Spys near you, and hope you can get together for some fun.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

I will be joining you all sometime this summer!!! 

😱  Well, I suppose it's safe to rule out...   AK, WA, ID, MT, OR, WY  ?

Wait, you are playing at pumpkin Ridge? Are you part of the Saudi golf league? Are you really Kevin Na? 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

When are you heading this way? PNW Meetup happening at the end of June. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

Maybe.  I was just using it as a geographical reference.  I don’t know any other courses besides those out there.  Haha.

Those are far away from each other.  If you are in the area hit up myself and @twyatt700 for a round

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

7 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Those are far away from each other.  If you are in the area hit up myself and @twyatt700 for a round

Where do you guys normally play?

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

On 4/3/2022 at 7:04 PM, Jschifferl said:

Welcome. I live in Monroe and play Blue boy quite a bit, since its close and fairly cheap. The owner is a great guy, for what it is the course is usually in pretty good shape.. Again Welcome. we should try to meet up and play a round.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Incase anyone here is interested, but hasn't seen the other post yet. We are coordinating a PNW golf event in the Tri-Cities of WA. @Kenny B, @fixyurdivotand myself have met up for the last 3 years to do this. A few others have come and gone, but we would like to see as many of you that can make it out this year. Kenny lives in that area is is playing guide and will without a doubt have 5 fewer putts per day then everyone else.

dates are set as June 23rd - 26th. Looking at 18 per day, with options for 36 for those that need more. Please chime in on the thread below if you want to attend so Kenny can work to make appropriate tee times and potentially better group rates. if you have any questions, ask away. 

WITB:

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing golf for about a year now. Really enjoyed it so I tried out for my high school team and now playing varsity as a sophomore. What I love about golf is that is very challenging and I love playing different courses and never gets old my home course is blue boy west golf course but I play echo falls alot because that’s my home course for my high school team!

Blake Lamoreaux

2 hours ago, Blakedagolfer said:

I’ve been playing golf for about a year now. Really enjoyed it so I tried out for my high school team and now playing varsity as a sophomore. What I love about golf is that is very challenging and I love playing different courses and never gets old my home course is blue boy west golf course but I play echo falls alot because that’s my home course for my high school team!

Echo falls, home of the power line sizzle and the single worst opening hole in golf. But fun other then that. Welcome to the forums. 

WITB:

On 4/5/2022 at 5:05 PM, Thin2win said:

When are you heading this way? PNW Meetup happening at the end of June. 

I set up pretty big golf PNW meetups at another golf website at Kayak Point (unfortunately now gone) and Gold Mountain in Bremerton. They both went pretty well with 4-5 foursomes.  I won't be in WA until mid July but sure would be fun to do a meetup somewhere.  The Home Club might be fun and fairly central for west coasters from Portland to Vancouver BC. But are you guys trying to make it for all the different states?  Then it might need to be on the other side of the mountains.

5 hours ago, Clayton said:

I set up pretty big golf PNW meetups at another golf website at Kayak Point (unfortunately now gone) and Gold Mountain in Bremerton. They both went pretty well with 4-5 foursomes.  I won't be in WA until mid July but sure would be fun to do a meetup somewhere.  The Home Club might be fun and fairly central for west coasters from Portland to Vancouver BC. But are you guys trying to make it for all the different states?  Then it might need to be on the other side of the mountains.

I used to have a social membership to Kayak. Fun course... but #1 and #10 were both horrible holes. The other 16 were fine.

WITB:

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

I used to have a social membership to Kayak. Fun course... but #1 and #10 were both horrible holes. The other 16 were fine.

I thought 1 was OK, 10 wasn't my favorite either. I HATED that downhill one that curves left. Maybe #14? I actually lost my whole golf cart down that hole once when the brake didn't engage... it didn't get far before it flipped over, fortunately. 😂

18 minutes ago, Clayton said:

I thought 1 was OK, 10 wasn't my favorite either. I HATED that downhill one that curves left. Maybe #14? I actually lost my whole golf cart down that hole once when the brake didn't engage... it didn't get far before it flipped over, fortunately. 😂

#15. Straight down the hill to a sharp dogleg. With a bunker to collect every shot that doesn't go 200y and the take a magical 90* bend to the left. Okay, so kayak had a number or really questionable holes.... But you could always get a tee time

WITB:

42 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

#15. Straight down the hill to a sharp dogleg. With a bunker to collect every shot that doesn't go 200y and the take a magical 90* bend to the left. Okay, so kayak had a number or really questionable holes.... But you could always get a tee time

Yeah, love to hate that course and I'd be back the second it opened up again.  The place I really want to go back to is the Gold Mountain courses.  Oh man I'd kill to tee it up there again.

1 hour ago, Clayton said:

Yeah, love to hate that course and I'd be back the second it opened up again.  The place I really want to go back to is the Gold Mountain courses.  Oh man I'd kill to tee it up there again.

The ones in Bremerton? They are still open

WITB:

15 hours ago, Thin2win said:

The ones in Bremerton? They are still open

Yes, and they keep getting put on "best courses in the US" lists.  Can't wait to make it back there and play them again.

Hi everyone.  I’ve been a member for years but recently retired and have more time to do more than scan the new reviews.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I’ve been playing for a bout 20 years.  I picked it up after breaking my leg and no longer being able to continue my love of wakeboarding on the Willamette river.  My handicap is a 7.1 but I can hit in the 90’s as often as the 70’s.  I should probably emphasize course management more. 

2. What do you love about golf?  Its competitive with yourself or others.  It feeds the fire when my body can’t respond to most other sports.  I get to spend time with friends and occasionally family and courses are aways so beautiful everywhere I go.  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?   I love the tests and reviews of gear and equipment.  I love the specs and analysis of things and can’t get enough of that. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I live in the Portland Oregon area and am a member at The Reserve and Vineyards but also play often at Langdon Farms. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Well it is so beautiful and green here with a moderate climate and the best summers in the world.  It does get a bit soggy in the winter but it is still playable 12 months a year. 

6. What do you do for a living?  I was a dentist but recently retired. I would love it if my handicap drops now.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  I used to play Taylormade Tour Preferred CB irons and I am a picker seldom leaving a divot.  Luckily I found the 790’s more forgiving and my iron game benefited from the tech. 

Driver Ping 410+ w/  TENSI orange 60 shaft stiff

Ping 3W 425 TENSI orange shaft stiff

Ping 5W 425 TENSI orange shaft stiff

Ping 4 Hybrid orange shaft stiff

Taylormade 790 5 -A irons w/ Aerotech Steelfiber I 95 stiff shafts

Titliest Wedges  SM7 - 54.14 F grind, 58.10 S grind 

Ping Ketcsh Putter

Arccos Sensors

Spoiler