GolfSpy MPR

Pacific Northwest: AK, WA, ID, MT, OR, WY

Our Sponsors

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have been playing golf for about 17 years. I used to only get out about 2-3 times a year. However it wasn’t until about last year I really got the “bug”, and played about 20 rounds. My handicap is 18. 

What do you love about golf?

I love the challenge of golf. There are always ways to get better, and no game is ever the same. I also like the competitiveness of it. Always fun to compete against friends, or just yourself.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I don’t know any other spies. I am always interested in what’s available out there in the golf world. 

Where are you from? What is your home course? 

I am from Spokane, Wa. Lots of courses in the area that I enjoy playing. The course I play the most is Downriver Golf Course. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best thing about golf in my area is the golf courses. Lots have great scenery. The  worst the about golf in my area is winter. Not much golf going on when there is snow on the ground. 

What do you do for a living?

I work for myself as a handyman. 

How’d you pick your username?

Nothing fancy... just my last name, and first initial.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2019 at 7:42 PM, CarlH said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?    I started playing golf late in life, when I retired from the Navy (submarine service) and have been playing for the last 30 years.  Worked my way down to a 7-9 handicap but recent surgeries and age, I'm now carrying a 9.8 index.  Working on my short game to get back to single digits!

2. What do you love about golf?  Hard to quantify or qualify this answer.  It just suits me!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Reading the tests and reviews in the main site.  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Last 15 years, I've lived in Medford, OR and play at the Rogue Valley Country Club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best is that we can play all year long here, albeit some of it isn't that great.  Worst part of golf here lately has been the smoke from the regional fires, along with the wet winters.

6. What do you do for a living?  Retired

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My parents sort of gave it to me....it's my real name with initial

Submarines once, submarines twice......

• Like 1

1. I have been playing golf for 15 years, and my handicap is a 6.

2. I love golf because it the perfect combination of tranquility, stress and integrity. It’s you and the course, which are often beautiful, battling each and every stroke. 

3.  Product reviews and new and up and coming release. I am new and do not know any spies.

4. Originally Ohio, homemcourse beaver creek. Currently Washington, and home course is Chambers Bay. 

5. Best, the beauty, worst the price. 

6. I am in the Army!

7. My username is a go to! 

• Like 2

Greetings All!

I became inspired by my new friend Dan Mann (GolfSpy MBP) to get involved in the forums. I'm located in Anchorage, AK and look forward to being a part of the community. I also run the social media account Knocked Stiff Golf (links below)

YOUTUBE

INSTAGRAM

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I'm 32, so it's coming up on 17 years now. I'm right at about a 5 handicap.

2. What do you love about golf?

I love the aspect of staying competitive, even as I get older, through a sport I can play the rest of my life. I also love the community that surrounds golf and the friendships that I've established through the sport.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I've seen the articles and reviews and have always appreciated the blunt/honest reviews of equipment. I currently only know GolfSpy MBP, but looking forward to meeting many more. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I'm from Anchorage, Alaska - Home Course is Anchorage Golf Course - a place I have worked or helped at since I was 16. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Amazing weather in the summer with incredibly long daylight hours, wildlife, and scenery. Winters are way too long and courses don't come into full bloom until about June or July. 

6. What do you do for a living?

I work for a telecommunications company in Alaska while dipping my toes into entrepreneurial endeavors (Knocked Stiff Golf). 

7. How’d you pick your user name?

Knocked Stiff Golf is currently the brand I'm trying to build in order to make golf a bigger priority in my life over the next few years. 

Looking forward to chatting with a bunch of you - I make my way to the NW quite a bit, so let's get a round in together. 

-Kyle  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JoshuaAlden said:
  1. I have been playing golf for 15 years, and my handicap is a 6.

2. I love golf because it the perfect combination of tranquility, stress and integrity. It’s you and the course, which are often beautiful, battling each and every stroke. 

3.  Product reviews and new and up and coming release. I am new and do not know any spies.

4. Originally Ohio, homemcourse beaver creek. Currently Washington, and home course is Chambers Bay. 

5. Best, the beauty, worst the price. 

6. I am in the Army!

7. My username is a go to! 

Welcome!!  And thank you for your service.  I have got to get over to play Chambers Bay while I can still walk a course!!

63 yrs old, been playing for about 26 yrs now, almost exclusively in the southwestern part of Idaho. Got my hdcp down to an 8 back in the mid-1990s, but back injuries have slowly but steadily pushed it up to 18, more or less, over the past 10 yrs or so. But I can be a dangerous 18 if I'm feeling good that day. I love almost everything about golf, but the biggest benefit I get is the stress relief caused by having to push EVERYTHING else out of my mind in order to hit that little ball. Somedays it's a 4 hole process, other days might be as many as 14 holes. But ultimately I get there, and it's a wonderful place to be.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, pdrury said:

63 yrs old, been playing for about 26 yrs now, almost exclusively in the southwestern part of Idaho. Got my hdcp down to an 8 back in the mid-1990s, but back injuries have slowly but steadily pushed it up to 18, more or less, over the past 10 yrs or so. But I can be a dangerous 18 if I'm feeling good that day. I love almost everything about golf, but the biggest benefit I get is the stress relief caused by having to push EVERYTHING else out of my mind in order to hit that little ball. Somedays it's a 4 hole process, other days might be as many as 14 holes. But ultimately I get there, and it's a wonderful place to be.

Welcome!  Depending on where you are in SW Idaho, you should hook up with @PING Apologist #9 in Boise.

I'm 71 yrs old and have been playing for 27 years.  I have to get down that way one of these days.  I have family in Nampa.

55 minutes ago, pdrury said:

Greetings fellow Idahoan! Welcome to the forums! Having a fellow Spy from my immediate neck-of-the-woods is rare indeed, and as @Kenny B mentioned, please do send me a Private Message (PM) and perhaps we can get out there together sometime! Cheers and I hope to hear from you soon.

• Like 1

Anyone in the Kitsap County area of Washington? Looking to expand my game to some other courses and meet new people.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  About 25 years consistently HCP is 11.

2. What do you love about golf?  The challenge and competition with myself to get better.  The equipment and the new availability of data (LM, & on course metrics)  for the average golfer. Golf is more counterintuitive than any other sport.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Equipment research. it's refreshing to see equipment tests with swing speeds from the planet I actually inhabit.  Don't know any othe spies, hope to meet some.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Seattle area, currently my home course is Newcastle, but looking to re-join a private club.  Sahalee was my home course for about 14 years.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? We have some nice courses, and summer here is unbeleivable. The worst is the short season, and the wet conditions.

6. What do you do for a living?  Retired Tech exec.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's an accurate description of the current state of my short game.

Edited by #handsofstone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just a note to the NW members that there is a golf outing being arranged. Check the link below

• Like 2

I've been playing since I could stand, my grandfather is to thank for that, LOL, so about 30 years or so. I am 34 and love every aspect of the game, my favorite being, although I do enjoy playing team sports as well, golf was that one sport that no matter if it's a game between friends or a tournament its just you against yourself out there.  My favorite golfer is hands down Tiger Woods.  I love the PNW region for golf because I will play in all weather I love the rain and it makes for beautiful green courses.  My home course is Madrona Links in Gig Harbor WA it's right a around the corner, LOL

Edited by Jpgolf416
  • Like 3

Has anyone in the Seattle area been fitted for a set?  I live across the sound in Poulsbo, so I know I'm going to take the ferry across.   And if you have, where did you go and what did you think of it?  I'm thinking about getting fitted for my birthday this fall.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jadams505 said:

Has anyone in the Seattle area been fitted for a set?  I live across the sound in Poulsbo, so I know I'm going to take the ferry across.   And if you have, where did you go and what did you think of it?  I'm thinking about getting fitted for my birthday this fall.

I would recommend Club Champion.  Even if you don't buy from them, the experience and information is well worth it.  Other options to look at Golf Tec.  Perhaps someone from that area will give more specific for local clubfitter/builders that are good.

5 hours ago, Jpgolf416 said:

I've been playing since I could stand, my grandfather is to thank for that, LOL, so about 30 years or so. I am 34 and love every aspect of the game, my favorite being, although I do enjoy playing team sports as well, golf was that one sport that no matter if it's a game between friends or a tournament its just you against yourself out there.  My favorite golfer is hands down Tiger Woods.  I love the PNW region for golf because I will play in all weather I love the rain and it makes for beautiful green courses.  My home course is Madrona Links in Gig Harbor WA it's right a around the corner, LOL

Welcome from the dry side of the state.  I think I played Madrona Links about 10 years ago.   When my wife and I travel to play, we always rent carts.  However, that day we walked with push carts because we were playing with friends in the area and they were walking.  Are the fairways rather slopey, either L/R or R/L?  I rolled my ankle, and ended up getting a cart for the second nine. 

3 hours ago, jadams505 said:

I got fitted at Jorgensen Golf in Everett about 5 years ago when I bought my ping s55 irons, they were knowledgeable and extremely friendly.  I live down in Gig Harbor now but I would definitely make the trip back up there if need be.  

Edited by Jpgolf416

On 4/19/2019 at 1:50 PM, jadams505 said:

Club Champion in Bellevue. Highly recommend getting fit by Brian. He did a great job making sure he tested out my requests while finding things I had never considered. My game improved drastically once I was fitted there. He is also a no pressure salesman. I ended up buying my custom iron set direct from Srixon and save $1k. Their biggest up-sell is "PUREing" your shafts, but I'm not good enough to know a difference. 

- I officially started playing golf at the end of June 2018. My normal score, last season, was around 110 with 106 being my lowest carded score but I just started taking lessons at the beginning of 2019 with the goals of trying to break 100 and being able to get an official handicap started.

- There is a lot to love about golf for me... It’s great to play an individual team sport for once in my life. The fact I can keep playing golf well into my old age is huge. Being able to play golf almost anywhere I travel in the world. The beautiful courses and landscapes that surround them. Being outside and playing with friends. Being able to play competitively against other players even if you are not on the same playing level as them. Hitting pure shots... I’m sure I could keep going on but these are just a few of mine!  

- A co-worker of mine brought up MyGolfSpy as I started getting more into the sport and he tossed over one of their buyer’s guides for a pushcart. After reading a few of MyGolfSpy’s most wanted articles and their mission statement, I instantly became hooked and look forward to all of their articles they publish! 

- I grew up in Salem, OR and have been living in Portland, OR for the past 5+ years. I don’t have what I would consider a home course yet but I do play frequently at either Eastmoreland or Glendoveer.

- Best things about golf in my region: The variety of golf courses you can play across Oregon.
- Worst things about golf in my region: The rainy season

- Software Sales at a startup 

How’d you pick your user name?
- My girlfriend gave me the idea and it’s a play on my Xbox Live Gamertag. My Xbox Live Gamertag is TheSandwichChef (LOVE food and make a pretty mean sandwich), which I have had since about 2006, so she brought up the idea of replacing sandwich with sand wedge.

IMG-6328.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheSandwedgeChef said:

- I officially started playing golf at the end of June 2018. My normal score, last season, was around 110 with 106 being my lowest carded score but I just started taking lessons at the beginning of 2019 with the goals of trying to break 100 and being able to get an official handicap started.

- There is a lot to love about golf for me... It’s great to play an individual team sport for once in my life. The fact I can keep playing golf well into my old age is huge. Being able to play golf almost anywhere I travel in the world. The beautiful courses and landscapes that surround them. Being outside and playing with friends. Being able to play competitively against other players even if you are not on the same playing level as them. Hitting pure shots... I’m sure I could keep going on but these are just a few of mine!  

- A co-worker of mine brought up MyGolfSpy as I started getting more into the sport and he tossed over one of their buyer’s guides for a pushcart. After reading a few of MyGolfSpy’s most wanted articles and their mission statement, I instantly became hooked and look forward to all of their articles they publish! 

- I grew up in Salem, OR and have been living in Portland, OR for the past 5+ years. I don’t have what I would consider a home course yet but I do play frequently at either Eastmoreland or Glendoveer.

- Best things about golf in my region: The variety of golf courses you can play across Oregon.
- Worst things about golf in my region: The rainy season

- Software Sales at a startup 

How’d you pick your user name?
- My girlfriend gave me the idea and it’s a play on my Xbox Live Gamertag. My Xbox Live Gamertag is TheSandwichChef (LOVE food and make a pretty mean sandwich), which I have had since about 2006, so she brought up the idea of replacing sandwich with sand wedge.

IMG-6328.JPG

Greetings from Idaho! Nice intro! Love the screen name!

• Like 1