GolfSpy MPR

Pacific Northwest: AK, WA, ID, MT, OR, WY

5 hours ago, TheSandwedgeChef said:

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?
- I officially started playing golf at the end of June 2018. My normal score, last season, was around 110 with 106 being my lowest carded score but I just started taking lessons at the beginning of 2019 with the goals of trying to break 100 and being able to get an official handicap started.

What do you love about golf?
- There is a lot to love about golf for me... It’s great to play an individual team sport for once in my life. The fact I can keep playing golf well into my old age is huge. Being able to play golf almost anywhere I travel in the world. The beautiful courses and landscapes that surround them. Being outside and playing with friends. Being able to play competitively against other players even if you are not on the same playing level as them. Hitting pure shots... I’m sure I could keep going on but these are just a few of mine!  

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?
- A co-worker of mine brought up MyGolfSpy as I started getting more into the sport and he tossed over one of their buyer’s guides for a pushcart. After reading a few of MyGolfSpy’s most wanted articles and their mission statement, I instantly became hooked and look forward to all of their articles they publish! 

Where are you from? What is your home course?
- I grew up in Salem, OR and have been living in Portland, OR for the past 5+ years. I don’t have what I would consider a home course yet but I do play frequently at either Eastmoreland or Glendoveer.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?
- Best things about golf in my region: The variety of golf courses you can play across Oregon.
- Worst things about golf in my region: The rainy season

What do you do for a living?
- Software Sales at a startup 

How’d you pick your user name?
- My girlfriend gave me the idea and it’s a play on my Xbox Live Gamertag. My Xbox Live Gamertag is TheSandwichChef (LOVE food and make a pretty mean sandwich), which I have had since about 2006, so she brought up the idea of replacing sandwich with sand wedge.

IMG-6328.JPG

Welcome from 200 miles upriver.  I grew up in Corvallis and still travel there every month or so.

• Like 1

- I officially started playing golf at the end of June 2018. My normal score, last season, was around 110 with 106 being my lowest carded score but I just started taking lessons at the beginning of 2019 with the goals of trying to break 100 and being able to get an official handicap started.
- There is a lot to love about golf for me... It’s great to play an individual team sport for once in my life. The fact I can keep playing golf well into my old age is huge. Being able to play golf almost anywhere I travel in the world. The beautiful courses and landscapes that surround them. Being outside and playing with friends. Being able to play competitively against other players even if you are not on the same playing level as them. Hitting pure shots... I’m sure I could keep going on but these are just a few of mine!  
- A co-worker of mine brought up MyGolfSpy as I started getting more into the sport and he tossed over one of their buyer’s guides for a pushcart. After reading a few of MyGolfSpy’s most wanted articles and their mission statement, I instantly became hooked and look forward to all of their articles they publish! 
- I grew up in Salem, OR and have been living in Portland, OR for the past 5+ years. I don’t have what I would consider a home course yet but I do play frequently at either Eastmoreland or Glendoveer.
- Best things about golf in my region: The variety of golf courses you can play across Oregon.
- My girlfriend gave me the idea and it’s a play on my Xbox Live Gamertag. My Xbox Live Gamertag is TheSandwichChef (LOVE food and make a pretty mean sandwich), which I have had since about 2006, so she brought up the idea of replacing sandwich with sand wedge.

IMG-6328.thumb.JPG.a093a3ee9b2b110bfb0ba8a41369c8b6.JPG

Greetings from northwest Ohio. I'm sure you'll improve quickly with those lessons.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 7:53 AM, TheSandwedgeChef said:

IMG-6328.JPG

Welcome from Just north of Seattle.. 

• Like 1

Hey PNWers, I just found MGS and joined up pretty much right away.  I love the idea of being part of a data-driven community  and trying to move past the marketing that is so prevalent around the game.

I've been playing for about 35 out of my 40 years on the planet in some shape or form.  My dad was a high school teacher and golf coach, so I've been around the game my whole life.  I've been getting more serious about it myself over the last few years and finally got my handicap into the single digits, currently at a 9.0.  My dad still beats me most days (we'll see how tomorrow goes up at Sudden Valley), but playing with him and my brother has to be right at the top of why I love the game- that camaraderie and also the microcosm that golf seems to be of life.  There's always more to learn, including figuring out how to master myself amidst stressful moments, overcoming adversity, and succeeding by doing things the right way.

I don't know any other spies yet, but would be happy to meet some of you.  I live in Mukilteo now (and teach high school English locally) and I suppose my home course would be Walter Hall, though I do a lot of practicing at Harbour Pointe.  I love PNW golf in general because we can play year round.  The courses empty out and the fairways are clear... if wet... and not that I'm hitting them enough anyway, but they look clear from the tee box.  I suppose that's kind of the downside too though- how short our season is for really great course conditions, at least compared to what I imagine AZ or Southern CA must be like.

Looking forward to talking with you.

Justin T. (cleverly chosen because my first name is Justin and my last name starts with T.)

• Like 3

Hey PNWers, I just found MGS and joined up pretty much right away.  I love the idea of being part of a data-driven community  and trying to move past the marketing that is so prevalent around the game.
I've been playing for about 35 out of my 40 years on the planet in some shape or form.  My dad was a high school teacher and golf coach, so I've been around the game my whole life.  I've been getting more serious about it myself over the last few years and finally got my handicap into the single digits, currently at a 9.0.  My dad still beats me most days (we'll see how tomorrow goes up at Sudden Valley), but playing with him and my brother has to be right at the top of why I love the game- that camaraderie and also the microcosm that golf seems to be of life.  There's always more to learn, including figuring out how to master myself amidst stressful moments, overcoming adversity, and succeeding by doing things the right way.
I don't know any other spies yet, but would be happy to meet some of you.  I live in Mukilteo now (and teach high school English locally) and I suppose my home course would be Walter Hall, though I do a lot of practicing at Harbour Pointe.  I love PNW golf in general because we can play year round.  The courses empty out and the fairways are clear... if wet... and not that I'm hitting them enough anyway, but they look clear from the tee box.  I suppose that's kind of the downside too though- how short our season is for really great course conditions, at least compared to what I imagine AZ or Southern CA must be like.
Justin T. (cleverly chosen because my first name is Justin and my last name starts with T.)

Welcome! I’m just around the corner in Mill Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

5 hours ago, Justin T. said:

And welcome from Monroe.. 

18 hours ago, Justin T. said:

Welcome from the dry side of the state.  Glad you joined us!!

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  Golf season is upon us- hope you're all getting a chance to get out and enjoy it!  I'm hoping to get my 5 year old daughter out on the course for the first time later this week.  Between that and continuing to try out my new-to-me Ping Sigma Tyne H putter I bought based on MGS reviews, it's looking like a good week for golf 😁

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 2:35 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Hi all, Greg from Portland, or

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I’ve been playing on and off my whole life, dad gave me lessons when I was a teenager so obviously I didn’t listen.  Now I’m in my 30’s and looking to get back and improve. Currently I shoot in the mid 90s to low 100s

2. What do you love about golf? Getting outside, meeting people, playing a game

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Just enjoy reading about new gear and advancements in the game. I love data

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Portland, OR. Home course is either east Moreland (hard time breaking 100), glendoveer ( easily break 100) or heron lakes (just a fun place although the geese are meaner)

5. What do you do for a living? sales analyst

6. How’d you pick your user name? Mashup of nicknames