Jump to content
GolfSpy MPR

Pacific Northwest: AK, WA, ID, MT, OR, WY

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Welcome @CGERICKE22.  I grew up in Corvallis and travel there frequently.  Now I live 200 miles up the Columbia River from Portland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys and Girls. I'm new to MyGolfSpy, and this is the first forum I have posted to. Have to start somewhere, right?

My wife and I live in Friday Harbor, Washington in the San Juan Islands. I'm 74, so I suspect I am one of the older guys on this site. I'm not yet retired, and don't plan to. I own a water resource consulting company. My handle reflects that I owned and flew light aircraft for many years, with single-engine land, single-engine sea, and instrument ratings. Didn't fly enough to maintain my desired proficiency, so I sold the plane a couple years ago.  

We have a nice little club with a 9-hole course here on the island. Great conditioning, small greens, a few ponds, and too damn many trees. We also belong to a course in New Zealand (Taupo Golf Club), where we spend 10 weeks each winter (our winter = their summer, how convenient). TGC has two 18 hole courses, one roughly comparable to ours here and the other a real championship track. I play a lot with the "Vets" (old guys) there. My Handicap Index is 16.8 here, but for some reason it is always a couple strokes higher in New Zealand. I play 50 to 70 rounds a year - about 35 in New Zealand and the same or a few less in the Pacific Northwest, mostly because my wife and I go cruising in British Columbia in the summers. (This year we finally made it to Southeast Alaska. That takes a while at 6.5 kt.)

Best thing about golf here on the island is the group of guys I play with. Best thing about the PacNW is the abundance of really good courses no one knows about. Gamble Sands is way out back of the back of beyond in the desert of Eastern Washington, but it is a GREAT (David McClay Kidd) course. New Zealand is kind of the same way. There are more golf courses in New Zealand per capita than any other country on Earth other than Scotland. Every little town seems to have a course and a clubhouse, and the tracks are often quite good. I have played a few where the fairways are "mown" by sheep, and the greens have low electric fences around them to keep the sheep off. Golf there is very egalitarian - everyone plays and everyone is welcome, from the banker to the butcher. 

I started golfing when I was about 14 years old. First got involved by caddying for a friend of my dad. Reason - $5 a round and he let my drive his car to and from the course at 14. I think that was so he could drink a shot of scotch on each tee box. I remember him as a fairly good golfer but a really accomplished drinker. He would let me hit a few shots during his rounds, and I caught the bug. I remember hitch hiking to the course with a buddy before I could drive (legally). It wasn't much of a course, sand greens, a lot more rough than fairways, and a lot of tall unmown areas. But we had so much fun.

I played quite a bit in my first two years of college - even bought a set of Wilson staff woods (real woods) and irons. Then I realized that I better go to class instead. After I started work and got married I basically took 25 years away from golf - from about 25 to 50 - because I couldn't keep from getting angry. I just kept trying (i.e., swinging) harder, and it kept getting worse. Nothing I had ever done in sports couldn't be improved by being more intense. It didn't work for golf. So I hung it up. My sister-in-law was a PGA teaching pro. She advised me that I didn't play golf well enough to get mad about it, but she didn't get through to me. I really regret missing those years now, but that's just water down the creek at this point.  

What do I love about golf? My wife and I play most of our golf together. She plays to a HI of 22 or so, making it a lot of fun. (For many years we also raced one-design sailboats together - the best way I can put it is that she is quietly VERY intensely competitive.) Last year we played in the Five Courses Stableford tournament in Tauranga, New Zealand. Five days, five courses, five rounds, 300+ golfers from all over the world. What a gas!

I found MyGolfSpy by accident because I started watching TXG on YouTube and saw their segment about the infamous golf ball test. I've read many of the Most Wanted articles and enjoy their objective perspectives. Right now I'm really enjoying marathoning the No Putts Given episodes.

I bought a set of Mizuno JPX-919 Hot Metals and a Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid.about six weeks ago. There are my first new clubs in about 10 years. I always thought I didn't play well enough to deserve clubs that good. They were for real golfers. What an idiot! It has been a real eye-opener. My Rocketbalz 3 metal hasn't been out of the bag since. No more surfing eBay for clubs.

I'm mostly looking forward to reading others' posts rather than posting myself. So I may be AWOL from the forum most of the time.

Cheers;

Hecaviator        

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hecaviator said:

Hi Guys and Girls. I'm new to MyGolfSpy, 

I'm mostly looking forward to reading others' posts rather than posting myself. So I may be AWOL from the forum most of the time.

Cheers;

Hecaviator        

Welcome welcome. I think I'm about the closest spy to you, being over in Mount Vernon. If you're ever off island and want to get a round in, let me know. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I am a new member on the forum, but am a frequent visitor to the site and occasional lurker in the forum. I live in the Bothell/Mill Creek area in WA. 

I consider myself an "aspiring golfer", and am finally taking golf seriously. I first started playing golf at the age of 9, and was a pretty good golfer for a kid that age. My best score at that time was 96, which I considered respectable for being 9 years old. However, I only played for about a year or so and then focused on other sports and hobbies.

I then tried to pick up golfing again in my early 20s, but that lasted only for about a year as well. At that time I was shooting in the low 100s, worse than when I was younger. 

I am now 35 and am taking golf seriously. I started taking regular lessons at Golftec since August, but have only gotten on the course once since I started playing again. I struggle with being reluctant to play on a course until I feel comfortable that I can play "well". Part of my issue is that none of my friends in the area play golf, and don't feel comfortable getting paired up with other random golfers, especially if they are much better than I am. I don't want to be the one that holds them up. 

In the 9 holes that I played, I shot 51, which is not great. I could have easily saved 4 shots by having better course management and not trying to make boneheaded shots, like trying to hit a big fade around trees. And my short game was poor as well. I know I have a lot to work on, but I believe I will soon be able to consistently break 100 on 18 holes, and then in the future break 90. I see the potential, I just need to continue to make progress.

In terms of equipment, I have a taste for expensive/new equipment. Currently in the bag is a PXG 0811 XF Gen 2 driver, Ping G410 2 hybrid, Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals 5-PW, Vokey wedges, and an old White Hot Sabertooth putter. That putter will soon be upgraded to an Evnroll, I have a fitting scheduled coming up at their HQ in Carlsbad. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

In terms of equipment, I have a taste for expensive/new equipment. Currently in the bag is a PXG 0811 XF Gen 2 driver, Ping G410 2 hybrid, Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals 5-PW, Vokey wedges, and an old White Hot Sabertooth putter. That putter will soon be upgraded to an Evnroll, I have a fitting scheduled coming up at their HQ in Carlsbad. 

Definitely on the expensive side of tastes for sure. But those are nice shiny clubs. Are you playing at MCCC or the public courses down there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Definitely on the expensive side of tastes for sure. But those are nice shiny clubs. Are you playing at MCCC or the public courses down there? 

The plan is to play at public courses for now and eventually join Mill Creek Country Club (potentially).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dlow206 said:

The plan is to play at public courses for now and eventually join Mill Creek Country Club (potentially).

I played a lot at Walter hall, Harbour Pointe and Legion, all different, all fun. Let me know if you want to get a round in. I'm up in Mount Vernon, lots of golf up here too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I played a lot at Walter hall, Harbour Pointe and Legion, all different, all fun. Let me know if you want to get a round in. I'm up in Mount Vernon, lots of golf up here too. 

Thanks, will have to take you up on that offer in the future. 

How do you like the Evnroll by the way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 10:29 PM, Hecaviator said:

Hi Guys and Girls. I'm new to MyGolfSpy, and this is the first forum I have posted to. Have to start somewhere, right?

My wife and I live in Friday Harbor, Washington in the San Juan Islands. I'm 74, so I suspect I am one of the older guys on this site. I'm not yet retired, and don't plan to. I own a water resource consulting company. My handle reflects that I owned and flew light aircraft for many years, with single-engine land, single-engine sea, and instrument ratings. Didn't fly enough to maintain my desired proficiency, so I sold the plane a couple years ago.  

We have a nice little club with a 9-hole course here on the island. Great conditioning, small greens, a few ponds, and too damn many trees. We also belong to a course in New Zealand (Taupo Golf Club), where we spend 10 weeks each winter (our winter = their summer, how convenient). TGC has two 18 hole courses, one roughly comparable to ours here and the other a real championship track. I play a lot with the "Vets" (old guys) there. My Handicap Index is 16.8 here, but for some reason it is always a couple strokes higher in New Zealand. I play 50 to 70 rounds a year - about 35 in New Zealand and the same or a few less in the Pacific Northwest, mostly because my wife and I go cruising in British Columbia in the summers. (This year we finally made it to Southeast Alaska. That takes a while at 6.5 kt.)

Best thing about golf here on the island is the group of guys I play with. Best thing about the PacNW is the abundance of really good courses no one knows about. Gamble Sands is way out back of the back of beyond in the desert of Eastern Washington, but it is a GREAT (David McClay Kidd) course. New Zealand is kind of the same way. There are more golf courses in New Zealand per capita than any other country on Earth other than Scotland. Every little town seems to have a course and a clubhouse, and the tracks are often quite good. I have played a few where the fairways are "mown" by sheep, and the greens have low electric fences around them to keep the sheep off. Golf there is very egalitarian - everyone plays and everyone is welcome, from the banker to the butcher. 

I started golfing when I was about 14 years old. First got involved by caddying for a friend of my dad. Reason - $5 a round and he let my drive his car to and from the course at 14. I think that was so he could drink a shot of scotch on each tee box. I remember him as a fairly good golfer but a really accomplished drinker. He would let me hit a few shots during his rounds, and I caught the bug. I remember hitch hiking to the course with a buddy before I could drive (legally). It wasn't much of a course, sand greens, a lot more rough than fairways, and a lot of tall unmown areas. But we had so much fun.

I played quite a bit in my first two years of college - even bought a set of Wilson staff woods (real woods) and irons. Then I realized that I better go to class instead. After I started work and got married I basically took 25 years away from golf - from about 25 to 50 - because I couldn't keep from getting angry. I just kept trying (i.e., swinging) harder, and it kept getting worse. Nothing I had ever done in sports couldn't be improved by being more intense. It didn't work for golf. So I hung it up. My sister-in-law was a PGA teaching pro. She advised me that I didn't play golf well enough to get mad about it, but she didn't get through to me. I really regret missing those years now, but that's just water down the creek at this point.  

What do I love about golf? My wife and I play most of our golf together. She plays to a HI of 22 or so, making it a lot of fun. (For many years we also raced one-design sailboats together - the best way I can put it is that she is quietly VERY intensely competitive.) Last year we played in the Five Courses Stableford tournament in Tauranga, New Zealand. Five days, five courses, five rounds, 300+ golfers from all over the world. What a gas!

I found MyGolfSpy by accident because I started watching TXG on YouTube and saw their segment about the infamous golf ball test. I've read many of the Most Wanted articles and enjoy their objective perspectives. Right now I'm really enjoying marathoning the No Putts Given episodes.

I bought a set of Mizuno JPX-919 Hot Metals and a Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid.about six weeks ago. There are my first new clubs in about 10 years. I always thought I didn't play well enough to deserve clubs that good. They were for real golfers. What an idiot! It has been a real eye-opener. My Rocketbalz 3 metal hasn't been out of the bag since. No more surfing eBay for clubs.

I'm mostly looking forward to reading others' posts rather than posting myself. So I may be AWOL from the forum most of the time.

Cheers;

Hecaviator        

Welcome to the Forums!! It nice to see another 70-something here in the Northwest!  I live in the desert in Eastern WA, and my wife and I travel all over the PNW to play golf.  Love Gamble Sands!   Once we played on Orcas Island, not much of a course, but it was nice to get out to play on a nice day.

I would love to visit NZ one of these days; such a beautiful country.  Long way to travel to get out of the cold weather though.  We head to AZ or Palm Springs in January, but only for a couple of weeks since my wife is still working... sort of.

Hope you stick with MGS; it's nice to have someone with both US and international golf experiences.  Enjoy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 10:36 PM, dlow206 said:

Hi everyone,

I am a new member on the forum, but am a frequent visitor to the site and occasional lurker in the forum. I live in the Bothell/Mill Creek area in WA. 

I consider myself an "aspiring golfer", and am finally taking golf seriously. I first started playing golf at the age of 9, and was a pretty good golfer for a kid that age. My best score at that time was 96, which I considered respectable for being 9 years old. However, I only played for about a year or so and then focused on other sports and hobbies.

I then tried to pick up golfing again in my early 20s, but that lasted only for about a year as well. At that time I was shooting in the low 100s, worse than when I was younger. 

I am now 35 and am taking golf seriously. I started taking regular lessons at Golftec since August, but have only gotten on the course once since I started playing again. I struggle with being reluctant to play on a course until I feel comfortable that I can play "well". Part of my issue is that none of my friends in the area play golf, and don't feel comfortable getting paired up with other random golfers, especially if they are much better than I am. I don't want to be the one that holds them up. 

In the 9 holes that I played, I shot 51, which is not great. I could have easily saved 4 shots by having better course management and not trying to make boneheaded shots, like trying to hit a big fade around trees. And my short game was poor as well. I know I have a lot to work on, but I believe I will soon be able to consistently break 100 on 18 holes, and then in the future break 90. I see the potential, I just need to continue to make progress.

In terms of equipment, I have a taste for expensive/new equipment. Currently in the bag is a PXG 0811 XF Gen 2 driver, Ping G410 2 hybrid, Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals 5-PW, Vokey wedges, and an old White Hot Sabertooth putter. That putter will soon be upgraded to an Evnroll, I have a fitting scheduled coming up at their HQ in Carlsbad. 

Welcome to the forums!!  Don't worry about not playing well.  Many of us here started like you, and we are still trying to learn this crazy game.  

Please take @Thin2win up on a round somewhere.  He's a great guy!!  I try to get out to meet fellow Spys wherever I travel.  I don't make it over the mountains very often, but I'm always open to playing if I get the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Welcome to the forums!!  Don't worry about not playing well.  Many of us here started like you, and we are still trying to learn this crazy game.  

Please take @Thin2win up on a round somewhere.  He's a great guy!!  I try to get out to meet fellow Spys wherever I travel.  I don't make it over the mountains very often, but I'm always open to playing if I get the chance.

Thank you for the welcome and thanks for the encouragement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 10:52 PM, Booya said:

Tee when I was younger, I got serious about golf about 3 years ago and I am currently a 12.5 handicap.

2. I love golf because it was something that my dad and I did together when I was growing up, and it was fun spending time on the course with my dad. I also like how golf teaches about life skills that will be beneficial later on in life.

3. I came to MyGolfSpy because I wanted real reviews that I could trust, and that weren’t just lies to sell a product.  I am also interested interested in testing products to see if they meet what manufacturers are saying about their products so people aren’t buying products with high expectations just to be disappointed.

4. I am from Bothell, WA.  My home course is Mill Creek Country Club, but I like to play any other course in the area when I get the chance.

5. One of the best things about golfing in Washington is that

I live not too far from Mill Creek Country Club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone here a current member of Mill Creek Country Club?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not aware of any members, at least no one has claimed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I'm not aware of any members, at least no one has claimed it. 

Thanks, I know Booya used to be a member so i was able to ask him some questions.

I took a tour today and am planning to join next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks, I know Booya used to be a member so i was able to ask him some questions.

I took a tour today and am planning to join next week.

Nice, I've only played it once. What are the dues these days? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Nice, I've only played it once. What are the dues these days? 

I am in the Young Professional category, so the monthly dues are about $400 if you include all the various fees except for the monthly food allowance. For equity, it is around $600 per month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I am in the Young Professional category, so the monthly dues are about $400 if you include all the various fees except for the monthly food allowance. For equity, it is around $600 per month. 

That's not bad at all. One of my CO workers is a member down at Meridian Valley, so I like playing there. I've looked at Skagit CC because I'm up in Mount Vernon, it is $300 for the young professionals 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 11:09 AM, Thin2win said:

That's not bad at all. One of my CO workers is a member down at Meridian Valley, so I like playing there. I've looked at Skagit CC because I'm up in Mount Vernon, it is $300 for the young professionals 

You should come down and play at Mill Creek when the weather gets nicer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...