TESTERS WANTED! ×

Southwest: CA, NV, UT, AZ, HI

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

Hi everyone, 

Alex Schmitt here from San Francisco, CA. I’be been spectating for a while and finally getting involved. 

1. I’ve been playing golf for about 25 years if I had to guess and for almost 20 competitively (I’m 32). I played the Junior Circuit, in College and still compete in amateur tournaments and club championships annually. I’m currently scratch, but want to get back to the days of scooting underpar regularly and in the 60s occasionally. 

2. I love/ hate that all that matters is results and that on any given day anyone can win. 

3. I am a huge gear junky and want to hear what people are playing and how it could benefit my game. Also very interested in testing clubs as I’ve always felt reviews were very important. 

4. Born and raised in the SF Bay Area. Home course is The Olympic club RN, but still feels like The meadow Club is another one (I was a member there for 15 years) 

5. Best thing about golf here is access to US open course (Olympic club lake) where I’m a member. The worst part definitely is the weather. Cold (I know not really cold, but still) and windy >50% of the time makes it play even tougher! 

6. I’m a management consultant, so if everything is normal I get some Friday afternoon times in a weekly basis.

7. Username is What a 18 Yo golf nerd chose for an eBay name when he was trying to sell some equipment his swing speed outpaced. Haha.

Edited by Golferschmitt
  • TM M5 Driver 9*: Aldila RIP Phenom NL (70TX)
  • TM M5 3 wood 15*: Aldila RIP Phenom NL (80TX) 86g*
  • Adams Pro mini Hybrid 18*: KBS Tour Prototype Hybrid 95X 
  • TM 2019 P790 4iron: KBS Tour C-Taper 130X
  • TM 2013 Tour Preferred 5-9iron: KBS Tour C-Taper 130X
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 46* (bent to 45*) KBS Tour C-Taper 130X ( 1 soft step) 
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 50* KBS Tour C-Taper 130X (1 soft step) 
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 56* (bent to 55*) KBS Tour C-Taper 130X (2soft steps) 
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 60* KBS Tour C-Taper 130X (2 soft steps) 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing for about 2 years this July - My handicap is around 20, I can have really good days where I can shoot consistent bogey golf and land in the high 80s/low 90s and then blow up days where I stop scoring

2. What do you love about golf? I love getting outside and challenging myself, I've been a team sport guy my whole life, so it's nice to have a hobby where I don't need to rely on other people to enjoy

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've been broadening my Golf knowledge intake recently and have been following MGS on instagram for sometime now, so I figured why not join the community

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? San Diego, CA and my home course is the Balboa Park Muni

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Torrey Pines and Torrey Pines, it's an awesome track and I'd play there way more often if I could, sadly, I don't want to deal with the fray of everyone coming to San Diego playing Torrey, so I don't play as much as I'd like, plus non-residents get railed with the green fee.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm an accountant

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's my initials

:taylormade-small: M6 8.5* - 6.0 S Project X HZRDUS Smoke

:taylormade-small: M2 19* - 70 S Aldila NV

:cobra-small: 4H 21* One Length - UST Recoil S
:cobra-small: Speedzone - 5-SW

:cobra-small: KING 60*
:scotty-cameron-1: Newport 1.5 - 34"

1. Before July 2019 I’ve played maybe 5 rounds. Since then I’ve played weekly Throughout our season in northern Nevada. I just established a handicap of 30.5. It can only get lower from there!

2. I love that people of different skill levels/experience can go out and actually compete against each other.

3. I’ve followed along on Instagram for awhile. Figured I’d might as well join in.

4. I’m currently in beautiful Minden, NV and just joined the absolutely underrated Sunridge Golf Club

5. Worst part about the area is it gets pretty windy. Best part are the views. We are at the base of the Sierra Nevadas. 

6. Executive Protection

7. 1910 Pendleton Whisky is my go to drink. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? I have been playing golf for a little over 30 years. What’s your handicap or normal score? My current handicap is 0 and my normal scores fall between 69-74 right now.

2. What do you love about golf?  I love the fact that it is me against so many factors, I have to work it out quickly in my head, and then make that situation happen!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy?  This website has been important to me gaining a better understanding of how my equipment effects my game!  I think about my equipment a lot different now than I used to. Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? I am from Phoenix, Arizona.   What is your home course?  I am currently in the Army and move every couple of years.  Currently my home course is Canebrake Country Club, Hattiesburg, MS.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The best thing about golf in Arizona is how dry it is.  Helping keep the ball in the air longer and keeps everything very consistent.  The worst thing is the 110+ temperatures!  I have playing in dry heat and wet heat, everyone thinks they are different.  They are just both freaking hot! 

6. What do you do for a living?  I am in the Army

7. How’d you pick your user name?  I have been playing golf for approximately 36 years and Monty was my Grandfather's nickname.

Hello

i have been following my golf spy for years now on all the great reviews and content that is available. i have not been very active on forums so figure i am ready to get more involved.

i am currently a 8 HCP and play out of Northern California in San Francisco. my home course is in Novato at Stonetree

i love the game and have been playing for about 10 years seriously. I never played growing up so i found the love for the game  later for me

23 hours ago, Monty35 said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? I have been playing golf for a little over 30 years. What’s your handicap or normal score? My current handicap is 0 and my normal scores fall between 69-74 right now.

2. What do you love about golf?  I love the fact that it is me against so many factors, I have to work it out quickly in my head, and then make that situation happen!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy?  This website has been important to me gaining a better understanding of how my equipment effects my game!  I think about my equipment a lot different now than I used to. Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? I am from Phoenix, Arizona.   What is your home course?  I am currently in the Army and move every couple of years.  Currently my home course is Canebrake Country Club, Hattiesburg, MS.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The best thing about golf in Arizona is how dry it is.  Helping keep the ball in the air longer and keeps everything very consistent.  The worst thing is the 110+ temperatures!  I have playing in dry heat and wet heat, everyone thinks they are different.  They are just both freaking hot! 

6. What do you do for a living?  I am in the Army

7. How’d you pick your user name?  I have been playing golf for approximately 36 years and Monty was my Grandfather's nickname.

Welcome Monty!!  Thank you for your service.  I've played in dry heat and wet heat, and I much prefer dry heat.  We don't get quite to the temps of Phoenix (my brother-in-law lives there), but we do get to 102-108º.  At least we are not soaking wet!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ryan, 

Welcome to the forum. I play in the same region. I’m in Petaluma, but play everywhere in Sonoma, Marin, Napa, and Solano. Stonetree is very nice place to play isn’t it?  

Congratulations on being a 8Hcp, that’s awesome. 

WITB Cobra F9 Speed Back w/Fujikura Atmos x70 black, Cobra 🐍 Fly Z Pro Irons 4-PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60.04L(thanks MGS for the lesson), Ping Ketsch Putter, Ping Pioneer Bag, Tri Swivel II Cart. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 57 years of golf and seen the good, the bad, and ugly sides of my game over decades.  Currently 13 handicap, but recently relocated from LA to PHX and expect to be playing much more golf to get back to single digit handicap. 

2. What do you love about golf? When younger, I was really into the competition, having been on my HS Varsity Golf Team in Chicago since being a freshman and captain since being a sophomore. I was a caddy at a local private club so I could play the course on Mondays hand get lessons from our teaching pro.  Now that I am older (and badly missed the qualifying for the USGA Amateur  a few years ago, I've come to appreciate the blue skies, green grass, and sparking lakes - could not think of a better place to spend 4 hrs during the day!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I've been getting Adam's emails for a while and decided to join the forum officially - would love to test new products!

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Originally from Chicago, where I would play in the winter using red golf balls that you could see in the snow. I once fell through a lake that I thought was frozen--really cold and I missed 4 holes of the round drying off!  My wife and I recently moved from Los Angeles to Buckeye, AZ, just outside Phoenix and live across the street from the clubhouse at the Verrado Founders Course - an awesome course built into the White Tank Mountains where every hole looks like a picture postcard.  Tough greens!

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Year-round golf--but gets a bit toasty in the summer if you can't get out early. 

6. What do you do for a living? I spent years in the Internet industry, at one time having the Most Downloaded Software on the Internet earlier in the century, amassing over 200 million users. That was quite a ride, ending up in litigation at the US Supreme Court. It did not end well for us.  Last summer, my wife and I decided to quit the LA rat race and turn in my entrepreneur stripes to enjoy life and play a lot more golf while we are still young at heart and healthy.  

7. How’d you pick your user name? It was simple, my first name was already taken so I just added my last initial. I supposed I could have been more creative....

- 58 yrs of playing golf and still going strong (just need to putt better).

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

1. I have been playing golf for around 7ish years now and I average around 95 normally. 

2. What do you love about golf?

1. I love golf because I can get away from the world and also the constant struggle for perfection the game provides at all levels.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

1. I have been a MyGolfspyer for a while but I am much better at communicating in person than I am through text online. I do not know any other Spies 😞 Looking to change that.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

1. I am originally from Florida, and I am now in Northern California. I generally play Blue Rock Springs in Vallejo, CA because of price and play-ability.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

1. The best thing is the views of a lot of courses because of the hilly terrain most courses have, and the worst has to be the price for me. I am use to a lower price even for a great golf course back in Florida and wrapping my head around the prices out here for a round takes some getting use too. 

6. What do you do for a living?

1. I work currently as a live-in professional for a Cal State school in the Bay Area. Basically I operate a few residence halls on campus.

7. How’d you pick your user name?

1. Growing up I could see my self in the John Stewart incarnation of the Green Lantern. When I read the story arc of Simon Baz I loved the raw nature of it and even though DC has forgotten him I still love the character and the entire GL universe 

Driver:  default_taylormade-small.jpg Original One Mini Driver 11.5° (Diamana F 64g S-Flex)

3-Wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg RBZ 2 Tour 14.5°

3-Iron:  :nike-small: Forged Pro Combo (2006) 

4-PW, SW: default_callaway-small.jpgSteelhead XR 16

54° & 58°:default_titelist-small.jpg Vokey Wedges

Putter:   Image result for yes putter logo Callie

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have been playing golf for 4 years now and I have gotten my handicap down to a 6.

What do you love about golf?

My favorite thing about golf is that it’s something that you can always improve on.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I am starting to get more into the social media side of golf and seeing what people think about certain things in the golf industry.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am from California but currently living in Las Vegas

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best thing has to be the amount of good golf in such a small area, the worst has to be the heat.

What do you do for a living?

I am currently a student in the UNLV Professional Golf Management program 

How’d you pick your user name?

its a mix of my first initial, last name, and I am the fourth so that’s where the IV comes from.

1. Update your signature to include the following info:

Cobra mb irons, X KBS C taper matte black, standard/standard

Mizuno JPX 900 X Aldila tour blue 

Right handed

Las Vegas

6 handicap

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the MyGolfSpy forums, but I have been reading the articles, listening to NoPuttsGiven and browsing their Most Wanted lists for the last 6 months or so. 

1. "How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?"

I have been golfing since I was around 12 when my dad would take me on rounds with him and i would get to hit a few balls while we were waiting for the group ahead. Slowly I got to play more and more and soon enough I was keeping pace with the old man and his buddies (that is no impressive feat let me assure you). I played more intently through high school and was on the varsity team which was a fairly good team for our area. I was somewhere around a 5-8 handicap at the time maybe a bit lower during some good stretches. After high school I kind of stopped playing with any consistency for 5 years. My schooling took up a lot of my time. I also got married to my wonderful wife and we had an amazing son, they are everything to me but didn't exactly provide me with tons of free time to get back into my golfing form. This summer so far has been good in that I have been able to get out and play more frequently. I have good days and bad days but I would say my average round right now is somewhere in the low to mid 80s. I am looking to get back into consistently breaking 80 again. 

2. "What do you love about golf?" 

I love golf because of the unique blend of power and finesse that you need to shoot low scores. And the fact that you can play golf seriously with just yourself rather than needing a team or playing partners like other sports. 

3. "What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?"

Like I mentioned above I found out about MyGolfSpy about 6 months ago and have been reading the articles, etc since then. I don't know any other Spies yet but would be open to playing some rounds with other guys in the Utah area if they want to make some connections. 

4. "Where are you from? What is your home course?"

I am from Spanish Fork Utah (about 30 minutes south of Salt Lake City) and I don't really have a home course but the three courses I play the most are Hobble Creek, The Oaks at Spanish Fork and Glandstan which are the three closest to me. 

5."What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?"

Utah is actually a fairly good place to play golf. There are tons of courses open to the public and are actually very affordable, if you are willing to walk you can play 15 for around $25 in many places. The hardest part is the winters though, taking 5 months off a year can really throw off any momentum you had gained during the season.  

6."What do you do for a living?"

I am a mechanical engineer that works as a consultant to companies in the Utah and Idaho areas helping them reduce their energy use by making their processes and equipment more energy efficient. I also help them get incentive money from the local utility if it is available. I love my job and the freedom it gives me. 

7."How’d you pick your user name?" 

Nothing special. Just a mashup of my name that I have been using for quite a few years now. 

I am excited to join the forums and learn from everyone here. 

Driver: Ping G10, 9*, Stiff

Irons: Titleist MB714

Wedges: Honma T-world (52,56,60)

Putter: Ping ANSER

Greetings.  Just joined and looking forward to sharing and learning.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Started playing at 11 so that's 49 years. Some long intermissions along the way raising 3 kids. 8.1 Index

2. What do you love about golf? Being outdoors with my friends and the challenge of trying to improve

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Found the site last year and love the content

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Santa Monica, CA and Rustic Canyon in Moorpark is my home course

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? SoCal weather. I can play 365 days a year.  But so can everyone else so 5 hour rounds are common

6. What do you do for a living? Recently retired

7. How’d you pick your user name? Initials and I live on the westside of LA

:ping-small: G30 10.0 w/Alta 55

:taylormade-small: M1 15.0 w/Hzrdus Project X

:taylormade-small: Rescue 4-21 w/Aldila RIP

:callaway-small: Apex 4-P w/Project X LZ105

:cobra-small: King MIM 50, 54 and 58 True Temper 

:EVNROLL: ER8 Mallet

:srixon-small: Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from San Diego. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Been playing for a while - getting back into it now that the kids are older.  Handicap was 11 before kids.  Happy to break 90 these days.

2. What do you love about golf?  Never ending quest to get better.  I enjoy the blend of technical knowledge and "feel". 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I like the data driven approach.  Never seen another golf review site that inserts Tableau tables.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  From San Diego - 90% of rounds are on Torrey North or Balboa.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Can play year round, but can be expensive outside of munis - obviously I'm lucky to have Torrey nearby.

6. What do you do for a living? Engineer

7. How’d you pick your user name? Ducatis are my other hobby.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I got into golf about a year ago. I do not have an official handicap yet but broke 100 in the fall and set a goal of mid 80’s by the end of this year.

2. What do you love about golf? Love the mental challenge and various strategies one can employ to improve scoring. I also appreciate the community and social nature of the sport.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I want to be part of a larger golf community and learn from fellow golfers that I can share and enjoy the game with. Not any that I know of!

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Santa Barbara, CA. Glen Annie Golf Club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Season never really stops because of climate. Hard to find affordable/quality courses with good pace of play. 

6. What do you do for a living? Finance and Operations Analyst for a footwear and lifestyle company.

7. How’d you pick your user name? I’m 6’7”, left-handed and you can call me T.

Ping G irons + Taylormade Burner driver/woods and mom’s old putter. Kaizen.

Welcome, new folks 🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

1. How long have you been playing golf? Since 1982, went with USAF friend to the midnight viewing of Caddyshack in Tempe AZ, next day same friend knocked on door and said “Let go hit some golf balls”, bug got me. My  handicap has fluctuated from 10 to 19 and has settled on a 14.

2. What do you love about golf? Wow, strong term, I enjoy the outings  , the people I meet, then some of what I enjoy, turns into sheer frustration after a bad round, 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? My iPad, actually a link when I was reading about the Kirkland 4 piece golf all.  Do you already know any other Spies? Nope

4. Where are you from? Born raised in Mexicali Mexico until age 12, then East LA. What is your home course? Don’t have one, I enjoy playing different courses and living is So. cal, there is plenty to choose from.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best, when the weather is nice, the courses are in great shape, I hate it when the weather is nice because courses are packed

6. What do you do for a living? Homeland Security (DHS) 

7. How’d you pick your user name? Friend called me that once when things were going pretty bad and I was p****d off big time and was being a big time A-Hole, he just blurred  it out,” Listen here Mad Mex” chill the F up!

Edited by MadMex

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

On 2/11/2019 at 2:37 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Southwest Region

California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Hawaii

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

A little over 16 yrs, but seriously the last 3. Current handicap is 10.2

I truly love see a good golf shot in person. Doesn't even need to be mine

Reviews, and I'd love to be aa tester. I golf way more than I should.

I live in san Diego, CA Home coarse would probably be Balboa 

You can golf year round which is amazing. But people in california are the worst at fixing there divots on the green!

I fly EMS Helicopters

Its just my name. No point in hiding it

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Since 1995 - 10.4

2. What do you love about golf? The constant pursuit of becoming a scratch golfer; comrade, being outside 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Wealth of information, unbiased information; product reviews 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? FL; Honolulu CC

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Pros - Courses & Views... Cons - Tradewinds & Prices ($$$$), played all accessible  courses in less than 1 year 

6. What do you do for a living? Retired Military - Self Employed  

7. How’d you pick your user name? A twist on my initials

Charles E Hall

Hey all - long time listener (follower), first time caller. 😂

I have been playing golf on and off for about 25 years now. Played in high school on the golf team and then went on about a 6 year hiatus. Played again regularly for a few years and then went on a sabbatical until about 5 years ago when I started working for a new company that was involved in the golf world in a round about way. 

Love the game and all it’s about. I have a love/hate with my persona game just like anyone else. Wish I could get out and play more but doesn’t always happen. 

I’m down in the desert in SoCal about an hour and a half away from the Palm Springs area. Lots of courses to play and can get pretty cheap when it’s 120° outside. 

Incognito Hacker

On 7/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, Weston_Gleave said:

A little over 16 yrs, but seriously the last 3. Current handicap is 10.2

I truly love see a good golf shot in person. Doesn't even need to be mine

Reviews, and I'd love to be aa tester. I golf way more than I should.

I live in san Diego, CA Home coarse would probably be Balboa 

You can golf year round which is amazing. But people in california are the worst at fixing there divots on the green!

I fly EMS Helicopters

Its just my name. No point in hiding it

No kidding about green divots, I think just as bad or worse on fairway divots.

If you fly EMS helo's out of San Diego and flown near the border, probably tracked you on radar.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

Hey everybody! Newbie Spy here! Also MGS, thanks for the op to be a tester. I love testing new product, have been a tester at GWRX multiple times.

1. Since 2012, dabbled a touch when I was a junior but never wanted to play. I came back and played with a friend at a lighted Par 3 course one day and caught the bug. The next day, I was on the Bay looking for a reasonable set to purchase.

2. 6.2, actually just hit my lowest index ever yesterday after my last three rounds going 78, 82, 79. 

1. I'm used to being really good at video games really fast, but sports are different story. Golf is easily the hardest, most difficult hobby I have ever had and it's painful. That's why I love it. 

1. I saw an IG post to be a tester on a watch and decided, it was time to join. Been a member at GolfWRX.com for a long time. 

2. I don't know anyone else who is a member at this point, though I'm sure I do.

1. Las Vegas, NV.

2. The Legacy Golf Club, unique course as they have a club, heart, spade and diamond as tee boxes on the tenth hole. #vegas

1. Easy, golf year round is the best thing about being in my region. I couldn't imagine not playing for months out of the year.

2. Worst things would be that most courses are a "desert style" course with no ability to walk the course.

1. Product Support Team Lead at a Telematics company called Geotab, although I'm going to school to be a Software Developer. 

1. It's my user name elsewhere, first three letters of my first name, last name followed by my birth year.

Driver: TM SIM Max 9 | plays at 8.25 | BB 6x untipped cut to 45" 

Fairway: Ping G 14 | plays at 14 | DI 7x tipped half inch, cut to 43" 

UDI: (20) Srixon u65 | plays at 20 | KBS Proto Tour Hybrid 85s 39.75 | half degree upright

Irons: (4-9) Srixon z765 | plays standard loft, 9i one degree weak | KBS C-Taper Lite X half inch long | half degree upright

Wedges: (46-58) Ping Glide 2.0 | plays standard loft, 58 one degree weak | DG Tour Issue S400s half inch long | half degree upright

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (new to the bag, specs unknown)

Hey all! I'm early in my return to golf after a way-too-long absence due to a combination of factors. Very happy to be back playing and having the opportunity to introduce my daughter to the game. Looking forward to connecting with other golfers, and especially trying to find some folks local to Sacramento who I can play with. 

On 2/11/2019 at 2:37 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Played from 1997 to 2004, then pretty much stopped until this spring. No current handicap, was as low as 13 once upon a time, but today would probably be more like 18-20 if I had one.

2. What do you love about golf? So many things. Beautiful courses, cool equipment, playing alone at dusk, long drives, recovery shots...

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Just looking to connect with other golfers! Don't know anyone else here ... yet.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Sacramento, California. I live really close to Del Paso CC, but it's private and I don't have connections there, so I've never played it. Haggin Oaks is my usual haunt these days. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best: lots of courses and golf-friendly weather. Worst: not enough walker-friendly courses.

6. What do you do for a living? Psychotherapist and coach.

7. How’d you pick your user name? By being boring and unimaginative.

Hi! My name is John and I am new to the mygolfspy community. I recently picked up golf again after getting more free time due to the coronavirus. I have been shooting in the low 100’s but lowering my score everytime I go! I keep going because I love the challenge, but mostly I enjoy spending time with people that I don’t see very often. I came to mygolfspy when I was looking for a new putter and the recommendation was spot on for me so I’ve stuck around! I am from Phoenix, Arizona and don’t really have a hole course yet, but arrowhead legends course so far has been pretty good to me. I’d say the best aspect of my area is that I’m near a retirement city so the amount of golf courses is endless, but they’re not always the greatest quality which you don’t really know until you’re there. I am a mechanical engineer who does supply chain work for a living. Finally my username is just related to my name! 

Thanks,

John- Phoenix, AZ

1. Played a little as a junior(in Alaska, maybe 12 times total), and a few times for work and such, but picked it up as a hobby in August 2019. I score anywhere from +14-+22 My app says 18.5, but I'm not sure that is super accurate or if it counts.

2. I love the peace, the being outside, and the escape golf brings.

3. I first noticed you guys when I was searching for a less expensive alternate to PROV1's and found your "find it cut it" information. No, but I have been telling everyone that lends and ear to check you guys out(mainly defending my choices on clubs/balls - snell, Sub70), in fact, I have done it so much I figured I should join and be a part of the forums at least.

4. St.George Utah. I don't really have a home course, I play all 4 municipal courses here regularly.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? You can play comfortably year round, you can find pretty flat courses to walk if you are so inclined. The worst part is middle of the day summers (up to 114 F) and the sandy soil eats up black clubs.

6. NERC Certified Transmission Operator 

7. Cause it sounded the funniest, I thought Net Par, Net Bogey, Net Birdie, But Net Double made me chortle when i thought of it, so i threw it in!

•  

Right Handed, My Bag:   M2 Driver 9 Degree Stiff shaft (2017);    RBZ Black 3W Ventus Stiff;   F7 3 Hybrid;   4-9 Iron Sub 70 699 Pro's standard length +2 lie stiff S300's;   48 Degree Sub 70 KBS Tour stiff shaft;    Bombtech 52/56/60 stock stiff shafts;   Evenroll Tour Stroke Putter 34 Inch  Gravity Grip;   Snell MTB.  I live in Southern Utah, 17 Handicap.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:31 PM, MadMex said:

No kidding about green divots, I think just as bad or worse on fairway divots.

If you fly EMS helo's out of San Diego and flown near the border, probably tracked you on radar.

Ah right on man!!!

1. How long have you been playing golf? On and off for 25 years

2. What do you love about golf? Always come back to it. The scenery is pretty good too. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Reviews

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Kind of a nomad. Now in Temecula. Don't really have a home course but I enjoy playing Cross Creek.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I dunno, I've seen it all. If I'm playing I'm happy. 

6. What do you do for a living? Post Production

7. How’d you pick your user name? From a friend in college - I ran it on my golf balls as a reminder when I played competitively. 

Edited by nofives

Titliest TSi 3

Sub 70 3 Tour

Titliest Ap2

Cameron Newport 2 @ 2008 model. 

1 hour ago, nofives said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? On and off for 25 years

2. What do you love about golf? Always come back to it. The scenery is pretty good too. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Reviews

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Kind of a nomad. Now in Temecula. Don't really have a home course but I enjoy playing Cross Creek.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I dunno, I've seen it all. If I'm playing I'm happy. 

6. What do you do for a living? Post Production

7. How’d you pick your user name? From a friend in college - I ran it on my golf balls as a reminder when I played competitively for a living. 

Welcome!

I played Cross Creek many years ago.  Loved that Arthur Hills design out in the middle of nowhere.  Probably houses all around it now.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Welcome!

I played Cross Creek many years ago.  Loved that Arthur Hills design out in the middle of nowhere.  Probably houses all around it now.  

Not at all, other than the occasional custom up on a hill. 10 degrees cooler and in great shape as well. 

Titliest TSi 3

Sub 70 3 Tour

Titliest Ap2

Cameron Newport 2 @ 2008 model. 

Just started engaging with the forums here after a couple of years enjoying the site - thanks for all the great content and for the kind replies to my early posts.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing for about 35 years - started as a kid at the local course back in Cornwall, UK. Dad used to drop me and my brother off in the morning then go to work, and pick us up at the end of the day during the school holidays - 25 quid a year for a junior membership! Stopped playing during college years, then started up again when I worked at a school with a little 9 hole course in Dublin about 15 years ago (built as a labour of love by the long-standing Chemistry teacher). HCP is currently a 5, and anything in the mid 70s is a good day.

2. What do you love about golf? As most others say, the challenge is what keeps me coming back - it is also good for working on your resilience. That day when your swing feels off and everything is out of sync, you either have to resign yourself to 4 miserable hours, give up,  or commit to figuring out a way to get the ball in the hole. It is also the perfect mix of social and personal time - chat on the tee box and between holes, but plenty of time with your own thoughts in between.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I really like the reviews and data-driven approach. I don't know anyone else on the site, but I'm guessing I've played with a few without knowing.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I currently live in the Monterey area, and play whichever public course has a tee time at a good price (lots of good options, but lately it has been absolutely mobbed down here). 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Lots of options, but can get very crowded and the prices are high for the better courses. Some fantastic public golf (Bayonet-Black Horse, PG muni, Poppy Hills) and I've been lucky enough to play all the private and big-name courses in town. The worst thing is the slow play and the crowds, particularly this summer, and the lack of a reasonably-priced private club option.

6. What do you do for a living? I've been a teacher for 25 years.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Old college nickname that became my email address a long time ago.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

Hi everyone, 

My name is DJ, and  I am looking forward to discussing tips, new equipment, and all other things golf in the forum.

I have been playing golf on and off my whole life, but have only really started making it more of a hobby. I played baseball my whole life through college, and I was always told focusing on one would ruin my swing for the other. I would always use my dad's custom fit clubs when I would play or go to the range, but I am 6 inches taller than him. I wanted to get into golf and was able to find a used—and quite old—set of standard clubs for pretty cheap so I could at least play with clubs more suitable for my height. Since I've gotten my own clubs and played more regularly, I have quickly went from shooting in the 100s to regularly scoring in the mid 80s.

My love for golf stems from being a baseball player my whole life. I enjoy being outside and playing a game where you are aware of things like how the grass plays and the wind and that you need to do a little strategizing on the course. I also just love the feeling of striking a golf ball so pure that you don't even realize you hit it.

As I was browsing clubs and other golf equipment at the beginning of my journey into golf and was reading and searching for reviews, I came across MyGolfSpy and enjoyed the "independent and non-biased" reviews. I loved the thoroughness of all the reviews and actually having various people test equipment or compiling all the data and giving it to the consumers in simple and easy terms. I noticed on the Instagram page that they were looking for testers for various pieces of equipment, so I joined the forum to hopefully get picked as a tester, but I am seeing there is so much more I can learn and discover in the forum.

I am a native of Sacramento, CA. My home course is Haggin Oaks Golf Complex because they have two good 18-hole courses (including the Alister Mackenzie course named after its famous course designer) and a lighted driving range that is open 24/7 during the summer months. My other favorite local courses are Teal Bend and Apple Mountain in nearby Placerville. When I need a quick round during the week or just need to play a short 9, I enjoy playing at William Land Park or Bing Maloney because you can get on and easily walk both of them in the afternoon for under $10.

Living in California, I love that the weather is good for golf (and baseball) year round. I would say the one thing I am not a fan of as a newbie to golf is that the nicer courses are either private courses or have insane green fees. If there are hidden gems around the area that I am missing out on, please let me know.

I just finished law school and am currently studying for the bar exam to become a licensed attorney. Once I begin working, I look forward to playing more golf, upgrading my equipment, and being more active in the MyGolfSpy community. 

Cheers!

Driver:titleist-small: TSR3 9° (Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X)

Woods: (3W:titleist-small: TSi2 15° (Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7S); (7W:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 21° (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S) 

4 Hybrid:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 22° (Fujikura Ventus Blue HY 80S)

5i-6i:taylormade-small: P770 (Nippon Modus3 105 S)

7i-PW:Miura: CB-301 (Nippon Modus3 105 S) 

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 4.0 50 S & 54 S (Nippon Modus3 105 S); Glide Forged Eye2 59 (Nippon Ping Z-Z115)

Putter:odyssey-small: Toulon Design Las Vegas H7 (BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar)

All Clubs Equipped with :Arccos: