TESTERS WANTED! ×

Southwest: CA, NV, UT, AZ, HI

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

Hello all,

Name is Bryon, about an 8 index with the Arizona Golf Association.  Really big fan of the game and the introspective nature each round forces upon us.  

Hole in 1, 144 yards, over the water and in the cup! June, 2020!  

15 hours ago, DJ Mico said:

Hi everyone, 

My name is DJ, and  I am looking forward to discussing tips, new equipment, and all other things golf in the forum.

I have been playing golf on and off my whole life, but have only really started making it more of a hobby. I played baseball my whole life through college, and I was always told focusing on one would ruin my swing for the other. I would always use my dad's custom fit clubs when I would play or go to the range, but I am 6 inches taller than him. I wanted to get into golf and was able to find a used—and quite old—set of standard clubs for pretty cheap so I could at least play with clubs more suitable for my height. Since I've gotten my own clubs and played more regularly, I have quickly went from shooting in the 100s to regularly scoring in the mid 80s.

My love for golf stems from being a baseball player my whole life. I enjoy being outside and playing a game where you are aware of things like how the grass plays and the wind and that you need to do a little strategizing on the course. I also just love the feeling of striking a golf ball so pure that you don't even realize you hit it.

As I was browsing clubs and other golf equipment at the beginning of my journey into golf and was reading and searching for reviews, I came across MyGolfSpy and enjoyed the "independent and non-biased" reviews. I loved the thoroughness of all the reviews and actually having various people test equipment or compiling all the data and giving it to the consumers in simple and easy terms. I noticed on the Instagram page that they were looking for testers for various pieces of equipment, so I joined the forum to hopefully get picked as a tester, but I am seeing there is so much more I can learn and discover in the forum.

I am a native of Sacramento, CA. My home course is Haggin Oaks Golf Complex because they have two good 18-hole courses (including the Alister Mackenzie course named after its famous course designer) and a lighted driving range that is open 24/7 during the summer months. My other favorite local courses are Teal Bend and Apple Mountain in nearby Placerville. When I need a quick round during the week or just need to play a short 9, I enjoy playing at William Land Park or Bing Maloney because you can get on and easily walk both of them in the afternoon for under $10.

Living in California, I love that the weather is good for golf (and baseball) year round. I would say the one thing I am not a fan of as a newbie to golf is that the nicer courses are either private courses or have insane green fees. If there are hidden gems around the area that I am missing out on, please let me know.

I just finished law school and am currently studying for the bar exam to become a licensed attorney. Once I begin working, I look forward to playing more golf, upgrading my equipment, and being more active in the MyGolfSpy community. 

Cheers!

Welcome to the forums!!

I enjoyed playing Haggin Oaks with a couple of local Spys on my drive home, and NO the Spys were not turkeys!!!   🤣

IMG_4315.jpeg.0607fe9c7eed944746335c1b2000385e.jpeg

Nice course and great golf shop!!

IMG_0323.jpeg.7083036c4859c557737dddbbe5c86c4a.jpeg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hi All,  Longtime lurker thought I would join an help contribute

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing golf for the past 40 years, I carry a 5 hdcp these days

2. What do you love about golf? Hanging around others that enjoy the game

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? See above. (Love playing, watching and reading about the game.  Yes I do know other Spies

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Scottsdale AZ, home course is Moon Valley 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Both good and Bad is the heat.

6. What do you do for a living? Software

7. How’d you pick your user name? Combination of MV for Moon Valley and my first name,

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? ive been playing over 30 years , im a 20 handicap  but no i can be better

2. What do you love about golf? I love the challenge and hitting good shots 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? look for in formation and maybe new friends to golf with

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Thousand Oaks CA, live in Carson City NV ,Home course is Silver Oak

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? slow greens Cold winters .

6. What do you do for a living? COSTCO and DAD

7. How’d you pick your user name? Easy lol

I love pizza 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• Consistently, about one year

• 21 WHC

2. What do you love about golf?

• The challenge and the opportunity to play with family for many, many years

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• I'm looking to learn more about the game, grow my skills and meet Spies

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

• California; Indian Hills Golf Club

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Solid courses nearby for all skill levels

6. What do you do for a living?

• Strategic Communications

7. How’d you pick your user name?

Cobra F9 Series: Dr - PW

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 20+ years (its all my brother's fault). Normally shoot in the mid to low 80s

2. What do you love about golf? The challenge and the focus it requires to overcome those challenges. Plus the scenic views at the courses I play is awe inspiring.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I like the format of the posts on IG so I decided to take a look at the full site.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Oakland, CA. My home course is Monarch Bay in San Leandro, CA

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? You can golf year-round in California and that is pretty nice. The worst thing...ummmmm....Covid???

6. What do you do for a living? I work in education. I manage the tutoring department at a local community college

7. How’d you pick your user name? Its the IG handle for my hobbies.

"Hit'em straight ladies and gents!"

My Sticks:

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (9.5 Degree)

3 Wood: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (15 Degree)

Hybrid: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz (19 degree)

Irons: Srixon i506 (3, 5-PW)

Wedges: Cleveland CG15 (50, 54 and 58)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

My name is Michael - looking forward to being a part of this golfing community.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?   I've been playing for 21 years and have a handicap of 10.

2. What do you love about golf? I love the architecture and design of golf courses.  I also just love being outside on a course too, playing with randoms, and figuring out how to tame this game. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I had this resurgence to look into golf resources and find a trusted place to exchange gear from time to time.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from Los Angeles, California, and my home courses are the LA Muni Courses (Griffith, Balboa, Sepulveda).

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best Things: Weather and Food.  Worst Things: Traffic and Smog.

6. What do you do for a living? I work with numbers.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's my name.

Edited by janmichaeldevera

TaylorMade M5 | 10.5° | Project X HZRDUS Black 60

Callaway Mavrik | 15° | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 

TaylorMade Rescue TP | 19° | Fujikura Motore F1 80

TaylorMade P-790 | 4-AW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist SM5 | 54° and 60° | True Temper Dynamic Gold

Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport 2

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing golf since I was 7 so a little over 25 years. My handicap is between a 7-8. This year my scores have ranged from 75-89.

2. What do you love about golf? Hard question to answer. I have just loved it since I started playing. I would love it more if I could become more consistent and get my game to scratch but just have always enjoyed the game and find the courses to be pretty beautiful.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I came to MyGolfSpy to find good and honest reviews on equipment.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Los Angeles, California. I usually play at Griffith Park (Wilson and Harding). Growing up I lived in Western Mass and was a member at a really nice course called the Orchards for several years. The course held the U.S. Womens Open 15-20 years ago.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? There are not many public courses and the rounds are super slow. I usually grab the first tee time during the week to avoid the waits so we can play in 2 hour or so.

6. What do you do for a living? I am in finance. I have passed all three levels of the CFA and currently do business valuation.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It is just my name, didnt pick anything special

Marc Merrill 

• 2 weeks later...

I am relatively new to golf compared to most the old farts out there. 

I love encouraging my friends and playing partners to get the most out of their attempt to play this simple game. 

I am here because I have nothing better to do than this, and I welcome the distraction. 

I am born and raised in Orange County Cali. I am not playing much right now due to Covid. 

The best things about golf in my area are the variety of courses and the weather. The only downside is the golfers who can be rude and obnoxious at times - same as just about anything in life. 

I look forward to exploring and adding where I can on this forum. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? Started in my early 20', been playing for about 24 years

2. What do you love about golf? For 4 hours I can escape the world, I love the beauty of the course and the challenge of getting better at a game that can never be mastered.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? About to get fitted for clubs, and stumbled across the site... would love to test new gear at some point. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Las Vegas Area, typically Rio Secco or Revere Golf Club

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best are the options for golf, so many amazing courses here. As a local to Vegas, fighting for good tee times with tourists. 

6. What do you do for a living? Information Technology

7. How’d you pick your user name? firstlastname

:mizuno-small: Irons: Mizuno MP53 Stiff/standard 

:mizuno-small: Hybrid: 4I

:ping-small: Driver: Ping G25 9 degree, stiff

:cleveland-small: Wedges: 52, 56, 60

:scotty-cameron-1: Select Roundback 2014

Just realized I skipped over this rite of passage, so here's my intro!

1. Started golfing when I was 17 and spent about 4 years obsessed (including starting in a PGM program to become a teaching pro, but didn't finish), then a good 4 years off, and then the next ten years varied (living in Japan for a year and then South Korea for 6 years was the main culprit of the inconsistency, although I did get really into Screen Golf in Korea). Have really jumped in with both feet the past six months and got my handicap back down to 5.4, will shoot between mid 70's to low 80's depending on the course.

2. I've reached a happy medium with golf where I can take it seriously, keep score, and try to improve without stressing myself out about it. In this state, golf is simply perfect. Walking outside, getting exercise, with a specific (but always changing) goal. The game is all your own, but you can still be social with it and everywhere you go is different. No other sport has that.

3. I'm at MyGolfSpy because I don't really have any golf buddies and it's good to be part of a shared community. I also like the purpose of the site and the style it presents information.

4. I've been living in Los Angeles (La Crescenta) and play the LA city courses most often, Hansen Dam most likely counting as my home course just for distance. Yes, they are munis, but they're good munis and very playable.

5. Best thing here is obviously the year-round golf. I suppose the courses get a bit packed, but playing as a single with a players card for advance reservations and tending towards the twilight times means I never have a problem getting out. Honestly no negatives out here for me.

6. I work in Learning & Organizational Development for a technology firm focused on the construction industry. I'm also looking at starting up some content creation (YouTube etc) focusing on the mental side of golf and mindfulness in the game.

7. Just my name, nothing more creative than that. 

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

1. Been playing since I was 4-5 years old (see prof pic) about 24 years. Current HDCP is a 4.6
  2. Love everything about the game, being outside, competing against yourself, practicing integrity and honesty.

3. Came to MGS because I play all the time and am an equipment junkie. Trying to get into product testing.

4. From LA but living in the Bay Area currently. Current home course is Corica Park South in Alameda.

5. Best thing about Bay Area golf is the variety and volume of good courses. Worst thing is tracking the weather in each individual microclimate.

6. Sales

7. K.I.S.S.

Taylormade Sim 9* Driver Oban Kiyoshi 60g Shaft

Taylormade M3 15* 3 Wood / Taylormade Sim Max 19* Hybrid 

4i-PW+48*- Titleist T200 standard length bent 1*up and 1*weak, XS DG105 shafts

54* S-Grind Vokey SM8 / 60* D-Grind Vokey SM8

Scotty Cameron Select Roundback 34"

RH/Oakland, CA/4.6 hdcp

3 hours ago, QuestforScratch said:
  1. Been playing since I was 4-5 years old (see prof pic) about 24 years. Current HDCP is a 4.6
  2. Love everything about the game, being outside, competing against yourself, practicing integrity and honesty.

3. Came to MGS because I play all the time and am an equipment junkie. Trying to get into product testing.

4. From LA but living in the Bay Area currently. Current home course is Corica Park South in Alameda.

5. Best thing about Bay Area golf is the variety and volume of good courses. Worst thing is tracking the weather in each individual microclimate.

6. Sales

7. K.I.S.S.

Welcome! I just read an article today about Corica Park South and all the remodeling they did (and are doing for the North). Would love to make it up there sometime (I'm in LA).

• Since I was 8, so 25 years or so. I haven't really been keeping score over the last 18 months due to limited practice and only playing 9 holes when I get out. Probably in the 10-15 range at the moment.

• I love the challenge and variety. There is nothing better than a beautiful early morning out on the course.

• I read all the articles and reviews. I do not know any Spies.

• Lived and played all over the country. Settled down in LA now. 
      I live close to Penmar and play there most weekends.

• LA city golf can get pretty dang slow. I love seeing the variety of people out playing, but when playing 18, it can be a whole day event.

• Healthcare administration and Sales

• My son 🙂

Driver: :titelist-small: TS3    3w: :cobra-small: F8    4 hy: :taylormade-small: Sim Max    4-Pw: :callaway-small: Apex CF16    52,56,60: :cleveland-small: RTX 3   

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X    Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

• Since I was 8, so 25 years or so. I haven't really been keeping score over the last 18 months due to limited practice and only playing 9 holes when I get out. Probably in the 10-15 range at the moment.

• I love the challenge and variety. There is nothing better than a beautiful early morning out on the course.

• I read all the articles and reviews. I do not know any Spies.

• Lived and played all over the country. Settled down in LA now. 
      I live close to Penmar and play there most weekends.

• LA city golf can get pretty dang slow. I love seeing the variety of people out playing, but when playing 18, it can be a whole day event.

• Healthcare administration and Sales

• My son

Hey fellow Angelino! I also tend to play the LA city courses, but haven’t been to Penmar yet as I’m more northeast. If you’re ever looking to play the Sepulveda or Griffith Park courses, let me know!

Hello SouthWest-erners 

I’m a beginner/recreational golfer (mid/high 90's score).  Been playing for several years, but that typically has meant 3 or 4 rounds a year having a few beers with friends.  Recently, prior to quarantine, I started to take a real interest in golf and wanted to actually improve my game.  I’m also work an irregular schedule and limited funds to invest towards green time

The Pros make it look so easy but it is anything but.  Every shot is a new challenge and even on a bad day, it's nice to get out and enjoy the scenery and weather.

Originally it was the good product analysis but all around great site.

Las Vegas, NV.  No home course, mostly west or Summerlin.

Hot as hell in the summer

I drink and I know things

It has my name in it.

1. I have been playing since I was 8 years old, so a little over 22 years! My handicap is a 6.8 right now, but we have a baby due in 2 months so I don't know if I'll be able to maintain that, haha

2. I love that you can play it very seriously or you can have just as much fun playing with some friends and cracking open a few brews.

3. I wanted to try to find more people of similar skill level to play with in the area, as well as potentially get into product testing.

4. I grew up in NW Suburbs of Chicago, but moved to Los Angeles back in 2011.  My home course would probably be Skylinks in Long Beach, CA.

5. Best thing is that you can play all year round, worst thing is that pace of play in Southern California can be atrocious.  Some courses are even known to commonly send of fivesomes...

6. I am a security engineer at a EdTech startup.

7. golfer847=golfer (probably doesn't need an explanation, haha) + 847 (this is the area code of the city I grew up in)

Edited by golfer847

Brian "CrashBro"

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9°, Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 X flex

:ping-small:  Anser FW 15 °, Grafalloy Prolaunch red

Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 Beta 19° 3 Hybrid Ozik Black Tie

:titelist-small: AP2 4-P Project X 6.0

:titelist-small: Vokey SM 6, 52°/56°/60°

:scotty-small:  Studio Select, Newport 2   34" 

:titelist-small: ProV1

@golfer847 welcome to MGS forums. I have played Skylinks a few times and that is a nice course of all Bermuda grass. 

Pace of play can get long. I just go with it and do what I can to enjoy it. Time of day and day of the week are hit and miss. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 5 years, last 18 months off

2. What do you love about golf? i dont get hurt playing it

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? no, just been a very long time reader for gear. Im a leftie so i have to do more research...A LOT more research

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? San Francisco, Harding Park is down the block from me

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? best: play year round. worse: the horrid upkeep of any muni not named Harding Park

6. What do you do for a living? Electrician

7. How’d you pick your user name? I'm left handed

Hi, my name is Adrian. I am from Colusa County and I golf many of the courses in my area. I am always looking to go play a round of 18 as well as finding a good deal/discount for a round. I am always looking for others to golf with as well. Here are the answers to the introduction questions:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? : I have been golfing since I was about 12. Played a lot in high school on the school's team. I am not a great golfer but I am not bad. I do not know my handicap as I haven't ever kept track of it. As far as my score, I usually shot around 95-100 on 18 holes.

2. What do you love about golf? : I love everything about it. Being outdoors, playing a sport that I love. The excitement of playing a new course for the first time is always fun. I love the etiquette of the sport and how golfers can be total strangers, yet enjoy a nice round on the course together. The challenge that the sport provides is something I always enjoy.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? : I found MGS from a google search for golfing forums. I do not know any other's on here.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? : I am from Colusa County in Northern California and my "home" course I consider to be Wild Wings Golf Club in Woodland, CA as that is the course I frequent the most and enjoy.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? : Best would have to be the number of courses in my area. Even though I live in a rural county, I still have a couple dozen great courses within an hour drive from me. These courses are pretty different as some are on flat grounds, others in the hills, which provides a great variety. As for the worst, prices in this area are a bit high and that is why I am always looking for deals when I go play.

6. What do you do for a living? : I am a restaurant server and eBay sales person.

7. How’d you pick your user name? : It was the ID I used since Jr. High and pretty much just kept it. It has no meaning.

WITB 2020:

Driver: :taylormade-small: M6 10.5*

Fairway: :titelist-small: 915F #3 Wood 16.5*

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M1 #2 17* / :ping-small: G #4 22*

Irons: :taylormade-small: Burner 2.0 #5-AW

Wedges: Generic 56*/12 --- default_cleveland-small.jpg.c74f3b17afe658f686b5fe6afe45378f.jpg RTX4 60*/9 MID

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X Copper

Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart GX

Ball: :callaway-small: Supersoft Matte Green

Bag: HTZ 3.0 Red/Black

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I started playing golf when I was 10 or 11, so about 22 or 23 years. My dad introduced me to the game. The frustration and the addictive qualities of golf hit me almost immediately. During one of my first ever 9-hole rounds I missed a close putt and drove my putter head straight into the green. I handed my dad a great opportunity to teach me about golf etiquette and how to calmly deal with the fact that golf is a game of failure. Between high school and the age of 30 I only played a few times a year and would consistently shoot in the low to mid 90s. It wasn't until 2020 that I decided to turn up the intensity by playing and practicing more frequently. I have started to shoot mostly in the upper 80's with a low score a month ago of 84 at my home course. My GHIN Index is currently 15.9.

What do you love about golf? I love golf because of the promise of what is to come. Whenever I am not golfing, I am thinking about my next round. I am visualizing shots on specific holes. I am considering different strategies to work around weaknesses. I am imagining the feeling of striping drives and flushing irons. I am telling myself that the next round will be the one where everything coalesces. That despite a most recent round score of 96, breaking 80 is just around the corner. I love golf because of the ability to romanticize it. I love golf because it never quite works out the way you pictured it in your head. I especially love golf when it plays out exactly how you imagined it. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? As I mentioned in my introductory paragraph, between high school and the age of 30 I only played a few times per year. I didn't take the game seriously at all and my equipment reflected that. Until the Spring of 2020 I was gaming the same equipment for the previous 18 years. A couple of years ago I took my early 2000's era driver in for re-shafting and the fitter laughed at me. So instead of having it re-shafted I played without a driver in the bag. When I started playing more consistently I determined that it was time to start upgrading my equipment. As such, I began researching clubs and MyGolfSpy was impossible to overlook. To be honest, at first I was a little put off by the name, "MyGolfSpy." I didn't understand what the site was supposed to be, because I would only end up on it by clicking through to specific articles from Google searches. Over time, the writing hooked me and got me to proactively visit the site. I was reading so many product reviews and product announcements and would be so pleased when I'd open up an article and see @GolfSpy Barbajo's name in the byline. I also think that consumers are savvier than ever and realize that OEM's & golf media companies are in bed together. It is hard to give credence to product reviews that you believe have been paid for by the brand being reviewed. The MGS mission of being an independent, unbiased and data-driven review platform is a breath of fresh air. 

I have started interacting with other Spies through the forum but do not really know any yet.

Where are you from? What is your home course? I am from inland Orange County in SoCal but Long Beach is my adopted home since 2007. My home course is Skylinks but also frequently play Recreation Park 18 & 9.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing about golf in my area is the number of quality public courses. Long Beach alone has five municipal courses. The worst thing about golf in my region is the slow pace of play.

What do you do for a living? I am an Analyst on a Logistics team for a home design & renovation company. Among other things, we sell home furnishings, decor & fixtures through our site and app.

How’d you pick your user name? I chose this user name because it is the same as my IG handle. 

Dexterity: RH

Driver:taylormade-small: Sim Max 9˚

3 Wood:Sub70: 939x

4h & 5h:Sub70: 939x

4i-PW: MALTBY TE Forged

Wedges:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52˚ & 58˚

Putter:edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball:titelist-small: Pro V1 or :Snell: MTB-X Optic Yellow

Data Collection:ShotScope: V3

On 10/4/2020 at 11:45 AM, brendalonian said:

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? As I mentioned in my introductory paragraph, between high school and the age of 30 I only played a few times per year. I didn't take the game seriously at all and my equipment reflected that. Until the Spring of 2020 I was gaming the same equipment for the previous 18 years. A couple of years ago I took my early 2000's era driver in for re-shafting and the fitter laughed at me. So instead of having it re-shafted I played without a driver in the bag. When I started playing more consistently I determined that it was time to start upgrading my equipment. As such, I began researching clubs and MyGolfSpy was impossible to overlook. To be honest, at first I was a little put off by the name, "MyGolfSpy." I didn't understand what the site was supposed to be, because I would only end up on it by clicking through to specific articles from Google searches. Over time, the writing hooked me and got me to proactively visit the site. I was reading so many product reviews and product announcements and would be so pleased when I'd open up an article and see @GolfSpy Barbajo's name in the byline. I also think that consumers are savvier than ever and realize that OEM's & golf media companies are in bed together. It is hard to give credence to product reviews that you believe have been paid for by the brand being reviewed. The MGS mission of being an independent, unbiased and data-driven review platform is a breath of fresh air. 

I have started interacting with other Spies through the forum but do really know any yet.

Thank you for the shout-out @brendalonian - you can be my agent any time!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This course has become one of my favorite courses!!Tour/Review of Verrado Golf course in Buckeye, AZ with Brown Bear Golf. This course is much like Troon North but less expensive!  It climbs into surrounding mountians. It has forced carries over desert rock, gigantic views of untouched desert mountains!  Multiple holes could be signsture holes. Elevated tees to well kept greens! Rolling fsirways that can enhance your drive all while fairly challenging your game while taking you to another place and making you forget your worries. Coyotes hang out and relax on the 18th hole. Find out why this has become one of Brown Bear’s all time favorites!

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing for about 3 years. High 90-105

2. What do you love about golf? Being outside, enjoying the golf course. How the smallest change can effect a shot so much.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Trying to learn more about golf

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? California. Play greenhorn creek in angles camp the most.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Golf season is long. Walking some of the foothill courses is brutal.

6. What do you do for a living? Fireman

7. How’d you pick your user name? Name

Fairways & Greens

On 9/16/2020 at 5:01 PM, Cory O said:

Welcome! I just read an article today about Corica Park South and all the remodeling they did (and are doing for the North). Would love to make it up there sometime (I'm in LA).

Just played corica south last tuesday. Man those greens are fast. Love how the wind dictates what shot and club to use. And by shot i mean flush or chunk.

Fairways & Greens

I've been hanging out in the background for a long time. It's about time I introduce myself.

1. How long? Early 40's now, started when I was 15. So glad I did. Got my brothers and dad into it. Now my kids love it too. Handicap? 18 and currently improving. 

2. Love about golf? The personal challenge. I don't care how others are golfing, I want to do my best each time. Love the competition with myself for improvement. My daughter recently started playing and it's totally changed how I approach the game. She's getting better every day, I'm golfing more and improving. My son is doing the same. Love the family time together. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I've been reading/following MyGolfSpy for years. Like everyone else, I get sick of all the ridiculous claims and product ratings. Love the data only approach. 

4. Where are you from? Living in UT now. So many nice courses close by. I play River Oaks the most. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best: So many good courses near by at reasonable (or low depending on where were comparing to) rates. Worst: Winter.

6. What do you do for a living? Supply Chain Mgmt and Sourcing

7. How’d you pick your user name? Simple. Initials and I'm in the SLC area. 

Titleist 917 D3 9.5° Diamana D+ 70
Wilson D200 Hybrids 22°, 25°
Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW
Old Nike Wedges 52°, 56°, 60°
Scotty Cameron Detour
Srixon Z Star

On 10/8/2020 at 10:38 PM, Abower said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing for about 3 years. High 90-105

2. What do you love about golf? Being outside, enjoying the golf course. How the smallest change can effect a shot so much.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Trying to learn more about golf

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? California. Play greenhorn creek in angles camp the most.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Golf season is long. Walking some of the foothill courses is brutal.

6. What do you do for a living? Fireman

7. How’d you pick your user name? Name

Not sure how you play that course often, I am not a fan. When I started working in the golf business I started at Phoenix Lake in Sonora. Don't think it is there anymore though. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1. How long have you been playing golf?
    Been playing on and off for almost 30 years.  I’d guess I’ve been playing for a total time of about 16 years! 
    What’s your handicap or normal score? My handicap would be around 6-7 depending on the course; this year I’ve shot as low as 75 to mid 80’s (Torrey Pines South Course)

2. What do you love about golf? Golf is my release these days...sort of meditation , if you can call it that.  Was diagnosed with cancer early last year and was able to pick up the sticks again come mid November 2019.   Golf has also been my physical therapy...I get fresh air, more than enough sun, all body strengthening including cardio   Love the camaraderie and spending time with my best friends.  Used to love my 1 beer per side but have to watch my nutrition these days! 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Was turned onto your platform about a couple of years back and basically your reviews and non biased opinions on anything golf is my go-to reference when thinking about purchasing another “toy”.  Do you already know any other Spies?  Just a couple and they’re friends of mine  

4. Where are you from? Born anc raised in San Diego, Ca.  What is your home course?  Enagic Eastlake GC

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best aspect of being in San Diego is that we have the best year round weather for golf!  Worst thing is that our courses get pretty worked by the sheer volume of golfers (due to population density and too many tee times per day)  Throw in the dry, summer heat and you have a recipe for ugly baked out greens and fairways! 

6. What do you do for a living?  I work in physical therapy 

7. How’d you pick your user name? Pretty basic...my initials and last name

I started playing golf at the age of 8 and played all the way through D1 college playing it. Was a scratch golfer during college. Was forced to take a break for about 8 years shortly before graduation and picked it back up in 2010 5 handicap

2016 was in auto accident that keep me away from playing untill recently. Just got cleared to start playing again.

I love the culture and the community of it. Even if I'm show up to the course by myself I can get added to a group and enjoy the round still.

I got a notice on my phone about a titleist driver test and set up account since I'm Looking to get playing again so figured I could find some advice and share my knowledge of the game along with photos of my dogs.

I'm from Las Vegas my highschool teams home course was the DI course before it became the wynn course.

I love we can golf almost every day and the twilight green fees are cheap and can usually get a full 18 in during the summer. Also we have a 24hour par 3 course along with a few 24/7 driving ranges.

Semi retired IT security guy. Who now trains dogs.

Name comes from my old company. 

FB_IMG_1571291751597.jpg

steelhead 9°, rbz 5w, ping awr 2 bc irons, isi irons, or nike vapor irons, cleveland 52°, 58°, 64° 2 ball putter.

Not a new member but I realized we now have regional member intros. Hello all from sunny SoCal! Hope to meet you all if we get a regional MGS meet going. Feel like this is the beginning of a new tour! The MGS Tour...like the sound of that!

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4