Southwest: CA, NV, UT, AZ, HI

4 hours ago, StormierCanine3 said:

Hi Spies - Long time forum lurker joining this awesome community.

How long have you been playing golf?

9 years this August.  Started playing in my late 30's.

What’s your handicap or normal score?

What do you love about golf?

Being outdoors and enjoying the day with old friends and making new friends.  Having some drinks, slicing some drives, chunking the wedges, pushing some putts, losing a headcover, shotgun starts & shotgun brews, 19th hole, post round meals and Venmo'ing golf bets back and forth.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I'm always googling golf stuff and MGS is just an awesome repository of data.  Non-biased product testing and reviews set MGS apart from the pack.  The Most Wanted articles and data insights are exceptional.  Don't know any other Spies...that I'm aware of.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Los Angeles.  Sand Canyon Country Club.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Worst - LA Muni weekend pace of play.  Summer weather in LA County.  Finding a weekend Tee-Time.

Best - Ventura County, Santa Barbara County, Central CA, and Coachella Valley golf.  

What do you do for a living?

Project Management

How’d you pick your user name?

It's an old gamertag.

Welcome aboard!

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I LOOOOVE Hobble Creek. Such a cool setting.

Hey all! How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing for about 20 years. I'm currently an 11 handicap and I'm usually shooting in the mid t

Good Day all, My name is Lynn Parker (male) I go by Alzo I've been playing since I joined the military back in 1984, but was only once in a while golfer, I have since graduated to a regular golfe

Posted Images

6 hours ago, StormierCanine3 said:

Hi Spies - Long time forum lurker joining this awesome community.

How long have you been playing golf?

9 years this August.  Started playing in my late 30's.

What’s your handicap or normal score?

Being outdoors and enjoying the day with old friends and making new friends.  Having some drinks, slicing some drives, chunking the wedges, pushing some putts, losing a headcover, shotgun starts & shotgun brews, 19th hole, post round meals and Venmo'ing golf bets back and forth.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I'm always googling golf stuff and MGS is just an awesome repository of data.  Non-biased product testing and reviews set MGS apart from the pack.  The Most Wanted articles and data insights are exceptional.  Don't know any other Spies...that I'm aware of.

Los Angeles.  Sand Canyon Country Club.

Worst - LA Muni weekend pace of play.  Summer weather in LA County.  Finding a weekend Tee-Time.

Best - Ventura County, Santa Barbara County, Central CA, and Coachella Valley golf.  

Project Management

It's an old gamertag.

Ventura County Golf is the best!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

3 hours ago, ole gray said:

Welcome aboard!

Thanks Ole Gray!

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade R15 Aldila Rogue Silver 60g

Hybrid: Ping Karsten 2014 3H, 4H, 5H Ping KS401

Irons: Ping Karsten 2014 5 - PW, UW, SW Ping CFS 

Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60*10 

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten

Ball: SaintNine U-Pro 

Bag: Titleist Hybrid 14

1 hour ago, jddaigneault said:

Ventura County Golf is the best!

Indeed JD! Sterling Hills, Moorpark, Olivas Links, Tierra Rejada, River Ridge and Soule Park just to get started 🙂

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade R15 Aldila Rogue Silver 60g

Hybrid: Ping Karsten 2014 3H, 4H, 5H Ping KS401

Irons: Ping Karsten 2014 5 - PW, UW, SW Ping CFS 

Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60*10 

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten

Ball: SaintNine U-Pro 

Bag: Titleist Hybrid 14

I have been playing golf for 40+ years but my handicap doesn't show it. I usually shoot in the 90's but sometimes over and under that. For me, golf is a chance to be outside and enjoy a round with friends. I have been a member for a while but just started looking in the forums. I do read the reviews and listen to the pod casts.

I am from Northern California and I really don't have a home course right now. The course nearest to me was purchased a few years ago and they have let it go down hill. I decided to start playing other courses in NorCal. I belong to a traveling club in which we play a different course every month. I really enjoy it. The best thing about golf in my region is we have plenty of courses. The worst thing is the closest course is about 40 minutes away.

I am retired but I was in Information technology for 40 years. I have been retired for 9 years now. I play as much golf as possible.

My user name is JPin. It is the first letter of my first name and the first three letters of my last name. I know, not very creative but it works.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 10.5

Fairway: :cobra-small: Speedzone 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons: :cobra-small: F-Max One Length 4 - SW

Wedge: :cobra-small: 60 degree King One Length

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Special Select Flowback 5

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  About 30 years  Handicap is11  

2. What do you love about golf?  It’s not about perfect and it makes you think every shot  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do youalready know any other Spies?  I like hearing other experiences and love to read about equipment. Don’t really know any other spies  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Live in Rio Verde, AZ and am a member at Tonto Verde. 2 courses there - Peaks and Ranch 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best- so many places to play and great people to play with. Worst - hot summers

6. What do you do for a living?  RETIRED!!! 

7. How’d you pick your user name?  Name and BD

17 hours ago, Stshep14 said:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  About 30 years  Handicap is11  

2. What do you love about golf?  It’s not about perfect and it makes you think every shot  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do youalready know any other Spies?  I like hearing other experiences and love to read about equipment. Don’t really know any other spies  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Live in Rio Verde, AZ and am a member at Tonto Verde. 2 courses there - Peaks and Ranch 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best- so many places to play and great people to play with. Worst - hot summers

6. What do you do for a living?  RETIRED!!! 

7. How’d you pick your user name?  Name and BD

Being retired is the BIG ticket!  Glad you joined us 🏌️‍♂️

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Well I started in middle school but took a short hiatus between college and last year. Handicap of 20ish. Never got an official handicap cause I never did big tournaments. On a good day I can almost break 100. 

2. What do you love about golf?

Getting out by myself it's just nice to have some time to myself with my thoughts and hitting some great shots no will believe I hit. In a group it's nice to have people you know having a good time and playing something we can all enjoy and roast my swing.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?
    Can't really remember how I found MyGolfSpy. I have been following for a while and now I am trying to be more social on the forums... Although that is a toughie as my wife describes me as not the most social of people and I have a RBF that could kill a bear. But I generally like people.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

Originally from the PNW now in SoCal. I guess my home course is Pacific Palms Resort as that's the one I played the most since getting back into golf but I am always up for suggestions.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best is I can golf year round the worst is all the people who know and enjoy that with me as tee times are full sun up to sun down.

6. What do you do for a living?

I am an analyst for a healthcare company.

7. How’d you pick your user name?

I am not very original so I just used my name.

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT

Wilson Optimax 3 Wood and 4 Hybrid

Tommy Armour 845s 5i-9i, PW, AW

Texan 56 and 60 degree Wedges

Kirkland Signature KS1 

Long-time reader, first time poster, so here goes...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been playing golf for nearly 40 years, but only started playing seriously when I retired in 2008.  Currently at a 15.4, playing from the blue tees.  Was a 12.7 in 2019, the pandemic and the resulting closure of putting and chipping practice areas killed my short game.   

The complexity of the game.  Playing a great round despite not not hitting the ball well.  Playing a phenomenal round when hitting the ball well.  Dropping a 60 foot putt to save par.  

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

The thorough and comprehensive equipment reviews.  You guys have a different approach towards testing equipment and you stay engaged with the commenters with each review.  Good job there.  Do I know any other Spies?  Nope, afraid not.  Perhaps in the future.   

Los Angeles.  I play the LA City courses, primarily Rancho and Griffith Park with occasional rounds at the Long Beach city courses, Rio Hondo, Industry Hills, Lakewood, Mile Square, and other Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino, and Riverside county courses.  Sometime in the hopefully not to distant future, I'll be calling Las Vegas home.  

The difficulty in getting tee times, especially during and post-pandemic.  The poor course conditions at various municipal courses.  And having to deal with urban freeway traffic either getting to or coming from golf courses.  There have been way too many times I've missed tee times because the freeway was shut down because of an accident.      

I'm retired.  Working was something I used to do a lifetime ago.  

It's one of the many names I've used in the past for fantasy sports leagues.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 8:04 AM, Josef said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Well I started in middle school but took a short hiatus between college and last year. Handicap of 20ish. Never got an official handicap cause I never did big tournaments. On a good day I can almost break 100. 

2. What do you love about golf?

Getting out by myself it's just nice to have some time to myself with my thoughts and hitting some great shots no will believe I hit. In a group it's nice to have people you know having a good time and playing something we can all enjoy and roast my swing.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?
    Can't really remember how I found MyGolfSpy. I have been following for a while and now I am trying to be more social on the forums... Although that is a toughie as my wife describes me as not the most social of people and I have a RBF that could kill a bear. But I generally like people.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

Originally from the PNW now in SoCal. I guess my home course is Pacific Palms Resort as that's the one I played the most since getting back into golf but I am always up for suggestions.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best is I can golf year round the worst is all the people who know and enjoy that with me as tee times are full sun up to sun down.

6. What do you do for a living?

I am an analyst for a healthcare company.

7. How’d you pick your user name?

I am not very original so I just used my name.

Welcome to the group!  I've played both courses at Pacific Palms a few times since I live so close.   Maybe we can get a round in sometime.   

• Like 1

Driver - :taylormade-small:RBZ 

FWs- :taylormade-small: HDLR 3W &  RBZ 7W

Hybrid - :taylormade-small:RBZ 5H

Irons - :cobra-small: RADSPEED One Length - 5 - GW

Wedges - :taylormade-small: TP Wedges - 54* & 58*

Putter - :odyssey-small: Metal-X Rossie

Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 

On 4/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, Cereal Killer said:

Long-time reader, first time poster, so here goes...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been playing golf for nearly 40 years, but only started playing seriously when I retired in 2008.  Currently at a 15.4, playing from the blue tees.  Was a 12.7 in 2019, the pandemic and the resulting closure of putting and chipping practice areas killed my short game.   

The complexity of the game.  Playing a great round despite not not hitting the ball well.  Playing a phenomenal round when hitting the ball well.  Dropping a 60 foot putt to save par.  

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

The thorough and comprehensive equipment reviews.  You guys have a different approach towards testing equipment and you stay engaged with the commenters with each review.  Good job there.  Do I know any other Spies?  Nope, afraid not.  Perhaps in the future.   

Los Angeles.  I play the LA City courses, primarily Rancho and Griffith Park with occasional rounds at the Long Beach city courses, Rio Hondo, Industry Hills, Lakewood, Mile Square, and other Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino, and Riverside county courses.  Sometime in the hopefully not to distant future, I'll be calling Las Vegas home.  

The difficulty in getting tee times, especially during and post-pandemic.  The poor course conditions at various municipal courses.  And having to deal with urban freeway traffic either getting to or coming from golf courses.  There have been way too many times I've missed tee times because the freeway was shut down because of an accident.      

I'm retired.  Working was something I used to do a lifetime ago.  

It's one of the many names I've used in the past for fantasy sports leagues.  

Welcome to the group!!!   

On 4/16/2021 at 9:29 AM, JPin said:

I have been playing golf for 40+ years but my handicap doesn't show it. I usually shoot in the 90's but sometimes over and under that. For me, golf is a chance to be outside and enjoy a round with friends. I have been a member for a while but just started looking in the forums. I do read the reviews and listen to the pod casts.

I am from Northern California and I really don't have a home course right now. The course nearest to me was purchased a few years ago and they have let it go down hill. I decided to start playing other courses in NorCal. I belong to a traveling club in which we play a different course every month. I really enjoy it. The best thing about golf in my region is we have plenty of courses. The worst thing is the closest course is about 40 minutes away.

I am retired but I was in Information technology for 40 years. I have been retired for 9 years now. I play as much golf as possible.

My user name is JPin. It is the first letter of my first name and the first three letters of my last name. I know, not very creative but it works.

Welcome to the group.. Thanks for posting here. 

In case someone posted recently and I missed you... welcome to the group!!   :) 

23 hours ago, White Rhino said:

Welcome to the group!  I've played both courses at Pacific Palms a few times since I live so close.   Maybe we can get a round in sometime.   

Sounds good to me!

Ping G400 SFT

Wilson Optimax 3 Wood and 4 Hybrid

Tommy Armour 845s 5i-9i, PW, AW

Texan 56 and 60 degree Wedges

Kirkland Signature KS1 

Welcome to all newcomers!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

8 minutes ago, OneShot201 said:

Good Morning - I'm new and in Northern Nevada.

I carry a 12.3 at the moment.

Thanks

Welcome!

• Like 1

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've played on and off for the 20 years but have only been playing seriously for the last year.  I'm currently a 20 handicap, I usually score in the mid 90's but I have broke 90 once.

2. What do you love about golf?  I love that in order to play well you have to be fully immersed in the moment and I really love being outside. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Mostly because I've become consumed by all things golf.  I don't know any spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I'm from Oakland CA and I play Metropolitan Golf Links a lot.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The good: Lots of courses and great year round golf weather.  The bad: Tee times are hard to come by.

6. What do you do for a living?  Electrician

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My initials

Callaway epic flash 10.5

Ping G410 3 hybrid

Mizuno JPX 921 forged 4-GW KBS C-taper 

Mizuno T-20 54 degree

Odyssey stroke lab double wide

1.  Played golf for about fifteen years, when driver is working mid 80s when its not mid 90s!

2.  I love the challenge and the mental focus required to play each shot!!!!

3.  Love the discussions that revolve around the game, from advice and mechanics to the mental imagining.

4.  Live in San Diego and have played most courses, admiral baker, bonita and cottonwood are my typical hacking grounds!

5.  Best thing about the area is golf year round, worst wuld be come summer the cheaper courses greens and courses not maintained like a PGA course!!!

6.  Program Manager for the US Navy

7.  Was my job when i was active 

Hi everyone!

FOund this online and  absolutely love  this. Have ben playin golf since I was 25 and absolutely love the game. Wish I could play more... Love the comraderie of golf but also love playing all by myself...Here in AZ in the summer, thats not hard to do...sometimes I am the only one on the course! Any one else here from Phoenix??

Golf On!