Southwest: CA, NV, UT, AZ, HI

GolfSpy MPR

• 1 month later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? Hitting the links for 24 years now. What’s your handicap or normal score? my current handicap is 11.4, down 2 strokes in the past year!

2. What do you love about golf? the never ending challenges, I've been chasing scoring milestones forever, i.e. break 100, 90, 80 (achieved this year!) and next up 75...

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? A community of fellow golfers, it's great to talk golf and see what others are experiencing, practicing, etc like me. Do you already know any other Spies? I do not.

4. Where are you from? I'm from Chicago, currently living in Sausalito, CA. What is your home course? Don't necessarily have a home course, been turning a lot of 9 hole rounds at Mill Valley and McInnis Park lately.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? the best is availability and options, worst would be pace most often...a lot of varying level golfers, great for the game but have been over an hour over pace multiple times.

6. What do you do for a living? I work in analytics for large advertising agency.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Just my name and where I'm living 🙂

In the Bag:

TM M2 - 9 degree - Fujikura Speeder Evolution V 474 Stiff Shaft

3W - 15 degree - Stiff Flex Stock & 5W- 17 degree - Stiff Flex Stock

PXG 0211 4i-60deg - Elevate Tour S - Standard loft/lie

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 (2021) 

So any spies in the Maui area? Potentially heading down there in October with my wife and could have some time to golf. Any thoughts on some places to golf/things to do? Anyone want to golf? 🙂

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :ping-small: G410 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Hybrids: :ping-small: G410 19*  w/ Tensei Blue

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX919 HMP 5-AW Forged w/ Modus 120s

Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX4 55*

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Ten 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

Hey there, my name is Mathew, and i'm from southern california.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I quite honestly have no clue, I've haven't played a round of golf ever asides from a couple times with my father when I was barely knee high to a grasshopper, but at the driving range I have been told by experienced golfers that I hit a perfect draw despite my complete lack of technique (when I actually can make contact with the ball that is)

2. What do you love about golf? I enjoy the fact that it can be played by just about anyone. Its a sport I'll be able to enjoy and possibly be somewhat competetive in for the next 40 years

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? No, I can't say that I do.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from Hesperia, California. Home course is the Hesperia public golf course, which used to be a PGA tour stop at one point

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is the courses arent overly crowded because typically its too hot out for most people, worst thing, is that its hard to maintain courses in the mojave desert especially during a drought, so some courses arent in the best shape.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm an "Over The Road" truck driver.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Well you see, uhm. I'm being buried alive by golf clubs? I have always loved the idea of golf, but never had the money to get into it. But recently, I spent $100 on some old golf clubs, and boy oh boy let me tell you, i have a lot of clubs. I originally was expecting to maybe get a few good sets of clubs out of the whole lot ,(guy i got them from got them at a storage auction and the listing made it sound like most were trash) but upon further review, in think that I Bought the hoard of a serious collector. I have multiple different Macgregor vip sets, even a VIP limited set, as well as muirfield 20th anniversary model, louise sugga model, 130w parmakers, winged MT tourneys, DX, DX2, and DX3 irons, then I've got a bunch of Wilson staff model sets , such as the staff tour blades, fg-17, fg-51, dynapower, and dynapowerED Staff sets, old school golden bear blades, 1967 and 68 hogan bounce soles, radial soles, and other various hogans, I've got walter hagens , "the haig" and "haig-ultra" top flite synchrodyned blades, Forgan blades 

Iconic iron sets galore. 4 Macgregor VIP sets, 5 Wilson staff sets, many ben hogan and walter hagens sets, vintage wedges, and some fancy face woods. I have around 1000 clubs and 50+ bags, that I bought for $100

Hey Everyone, 

Just joined and am looking forward to all the tips and advice MGS has to offer. I've been playing recreationally since I was probably 10 and maybe a few times a year generally with buddies but I live real close to a few courses and want to start playing more. I would love to be more competitive when I do play. I love how challenging the sport is so my question is....

should I just hit up the driving range, watch some yotube and go the DIY route or pay for a few lessons. I know it's a broad question but still look forward to the answers

Just trying to get good enough to beat my brother

48 minutes ago, JayDavid said:

Hey Everyone, 

Just joined and am looking forward to all the tips and advice MGS has to offer. I've been playing recreationally since I was probably 10 and maybe a few times a year generally with buddies but I live real close to a few courses and want to start playing more. I would love to be more competitive when I do play. I love how challenging the sport is so my question is....

should I just hit up the driving range, watch some yotube and go the DIY route or pay for a few lessons. I know it's a broad question but still look forward to the answers

Welcome! And pay for the lessons. Without a question. 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

5 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Welcome! And pay for the lessons. Without a question. 

... Welcome and I'll second this. Best to get some lessons before engraining bad habits that will be harder to over come later. 

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

8 hours ago, JayDavid said:

Hey Everyone, 

Welcome aboard! ;)

How long have you been playing golf? In total, maybe 2-3 years but it has been very sporadic since college. I can probably count the times I have been out in the past 10 years on one hand. Careers and having kids and moving multiple times have all gotten in the way. 

What do you love about golf? With years of competitive sports and activities, it was enjoyable to pick up more of a social hobby in college. I worked at a golf store after classes, so my coworkers and I would usually manage to schedule a round each week and I definitely didn't feel any pressure from them. I was able to go out with some really good players and they didn't make me feel like I was a burden to them so that was a bonus. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Mostly it came from internet browsing to find out how far behind I am with knowledge of things today. As a bit of a nerd, some of the ball lab information caught my interest. Do you already know any other Spies? Too new for any of that. 

Where are you from? While I am originally from Texas, I relocated to Central California two years ago. What is your home course? I've never had a home course, preferring to be more of a nomad to experience different challenges. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I enjoy that I am located within a relatively short drive of many different areas of California, but the valley sure does get hot during the summer. 

What do you do for a living? I work as a chemical engineer for a processing equipment manufacturer. A large part of my job is auditing client plants and making process improvement recommendations while also doing a little bit of technical research and project management. 

How’d you pick your user name? Just a shortened version of my name. Nothing special. 

Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL
3 Wood: Snake Eyes Viper Tour
Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper Tour 18 and 24 deg
Irons: Srixon I-701 5-PW
Wedges: Callaway X-Forged 50, 54, and 58 deg
Putter: Yes! Marilyn

Posted (edited)

Been lurking for a while now (reviews as well as forums) and decided to pull the trigger and join.

1. How long have you been playing golf?  Off and on for a little over 20 years.  Just a little more off than on.

2.  What’s your handicap or normal score?  Current index is 6.6.

3. What do you love about golf?  The challenge and knowing that I will never master it completely.

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  The reviews brought me in originally.  Don't think I know anyone else here.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I am from Central California.  I used to play most of my golf at Rancho Del Rey in Atwater.  My current home course is Pheasant Run in Chowchilla CA.

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The ability to play year round.  The heat in the summer.

7. What do you do for a living?  I am a quality assurance supervisor for a manufacturer of irrigation products.

Edited by LandisJ
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

Getting better.

5 minutes ago, LandisJ said:

Been lurking for a while now (reviews as well as forums) and decided to pull the trigger and join.

1. How long have you been playing golf?  Off and on for a little over 20 years.  Just a little more off than on.

2.  What’s your handicap or normal score?  Current index is 6.6.

3. What do you love about golf?  The challenged and knowing that I will never master it completely.

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  The reviews brought me in originally.  Don't think I know anyone else here.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I am from Central California.  I used to play most of my golf at Rancho Del Rey in Atwater.  My current home course is Pheasant Run in Chowchilla CA.

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The ability to play year round.  The heat in the summer.

7. What do you do for a living?  I am a quality assurance supervisor for a manufacturer of irrigation products.

Welcome! I worked at Pheasant Run for 3 years. Currently work about 1 mile from there now. You can set your clock for the wind to increase at 5 everyday!

17 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Welcome! I worked at Pheasant Run for 3 years. Currently work about 1 mile from there now. You can set your clock for the wind to increase at 5 everyday!

Yep.  Had it happen a couple of weeks ago.  Went into the shop to pick teams for the Wednesday night scramble at 5 with the wind right around 5 mph and came out at 5:25 to a 25 mph wind.

• Like 1

Getting better.

9 minutes ago, LandisJ said:

Yep.  Had it happen a couple of weeks ago.  Went into the shop to pick teams for the Wednesday night scramble at 5 with the wind right around 5 mph and came out at 5:25 to a 25 mph wind.

When I was there it was the "windy" night scramble on Wednesdays!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 

Started playing at 11 or 12.  Got serious in college when I worked at a CC in Lawrence KS (could play for free!!)  After college, played less and less.  The past 2 years getting more back into the game and try to play twice a month in between life.  Current handicap is 15
  2. What do you love about golf?

I love the you against the course mentality.  it is humbling and rewarding.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Really like the reviews and testing that was being done, so i singed up.
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

Phoenix, AZ , Foothills GC in Ahwatukee
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best - you can play year round  Worst - 110 degree plus in the summer
  6. What do you do for a living?

Mechanical Engineer
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

you can probably figure it out.

Keep swinging - JC

Driver: PXG 0811 XF

Wood: (currently shopping)

Irons:  Ben Hogan PTxPro 4-PW

Wedges:   Ben Hogan Equalizer II (56, 60)

Putter:  Ping Zing Bronze

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing about 10 years continuously.  Played a bit when I was a kid, but only really started playing seriously after using golf as a way to spend time with my Grandfather before he passed away.  My handicap is now officially a 13.9 since I signed up for SCGA but has been as low as 11.5 unofficially.  I tend to shoot in the mid to high 80s with the very occasional trip to the low 80s and much more occasional blow up into the high 90s.

2. What do you love about golf? The subtlety and personal challenge.  A tiny adjustment can make a massive difference on the course.  I also like that you have no one to blame but yourself (contrary to popular belief) for your score.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Been dipping my toes in the waters of either getting new irons or getting mine properly fitted to me and really enjoyed the reviews I've been reading.   Also looking for more golf connections in Southern California as I think my wife is going to murder me if I talk about the golf with her anymore. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? From Idaho originally, but have been in Southern California for about 20 years now.  Woodley Lakes is my official home course, but I'll pretty much play wherever I can.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best :  Year round golf and the large variety of courses within two hours.  I have answered Christmas day phone calls while walking off a green in shorts only to hear friends in Idaho complain about the snow.  Worst:  The complete and total lack of golf etiquette (being hit into, no-one fixing divots, slow play, on any course south of a premium or Country Club (Even on some of those)

6. What do you do for a living? Architect + Self-employed = Avoidance of weekend golf crowding.

7. How’d you pick your user name? If anyone remembers the bad movie 'Hackers' from the 90s they'll remember that the cast had 'cool' hacker names.  7th Grade me thought that was awesome and came up with my own and this version is the final evolution of it.  Almost 40 year old me doesn't think its as cool, but also is too lazy to think of something else.

:taylormade-small:  Driver R1 -- Fujikara ventus red S (non velocore) 

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Fujikara Speeder V7.0 S

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°, 5I 24° , 6I 27°, 7I 31°, 8I 35°, 9I 39°, PW 44°  -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 48degree 

Ksig 52 56 & 60

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• I've began playing golf in High School. Since then I took an extended break from playing for nearly 10 years. I Began getting back into golf about 6 months ago. Since picking golf back up I've been shooting mid to low 80's.

What do you love about golf?

• I love that there is never a time when golf doesn't push you to get better both physically and mentally. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• I came here because in my time away from golf it appears that there were some major improvements in the technology around golf and this seems to be the place to learn and understand it.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

• I'm in Southern California and don't really have a home course. I find myself playing mostly at the Costa Mesa County Club or Mile Square Park.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Best thing is the number of courses to play around the area. The worst part is like everything in California, the number of people. 

What do you do for a living?

• Consultant in the Development Industry 

How’d you pick your user name?

• Its what came to mind. not much thought went into it.

• 2 weeks later...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have just started playing golf, I went a handful of times growing up with my father and friends borrowing clubs but never had a full set until this season. I'm currently an estimated 20 handicap and usually shoot in the high 90s low 100s range.

What do you love about golf?

I love getting outdoors with my daughter or anyone on the course and having a good time whether that be enjoying good conversation or the occasional great shot. I do not get much time to practice but I also enjoy the element of having something to constantly improve at and goals to strive for. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Coming from a scientific background in school I love the idea of completely unbiased information and recommendations based solely on cold hard data, no BS, no marketing jargon, just provable truths. 

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am from the Northern Sacramento area of California and I currently do not have a home course as there are many in the area I still have not tried to pick a home. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Hands down the best thing is the ability to play all year round if you can brave a bit of rain and slightly cold weather during the "winter". The worst thing is the triple digit heat in the summer which makes afternoon tee times tough. 

What do you do for a living?

I am a construction estimator with a background in mining/geotechnical engineering. 

How’d you pick your user name?

It was my nickname from playing baseball growing up and in college. 

Here are a few photos of our on course fun

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: - 913 D3

Wood: :callaway-small: - 3W Big Bertha Steelhead

Irons: :ping-small: - Eye 2 3-SW

Putter: :cleveland-small: - Huntington Beach SOFT 8.5

Ball: :Snell: - MTB-X 

Data: :ShotScope: - V3

Hey everyone! My name is Tyler and I'm excited to be here! Have been reading everything from MGS for the last four months and decided it's time to be part of the community.

1. How long have you been playing golf? I've been golfing since I was about 6, but the 20+ years haven't made me any better! My handicap is 17.

2. What do you love about golf? I love that golf is a great opportunity to challenge yourself while being outside and often enjoying the company of others.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? All of the articles, reviews, and most wanted testing got me to fall in love with MGS! I don't know any other spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm originally from the Seattle area, but I now live in Westlake Village, California. My home course is Los Robles Greens in Thousand Oaks.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing about golf here is that you can play year round with perfect weather. The worst is that a lot of the golf around here is expensive.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a middle school math teacher and I love it!

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's my name!

• Like 1

Just golfing to have a good time

18 minutes ago, tylerjarvis said:

Hey everyone! My name is Tyler and I'm excited to be here! Have been reading everything from MGS for the last four months and decided it's time to be part of the community.

1. How long have you been playing golf? I've been golfing since I was about 6, but the 20+ years haven't made me any better! My handicap is 17.

2. What do you love about golf? I love that golf is a great opportunity to challenge yourself while being outside and often enjoying the company of others.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? All of the articles, reviews, and most wanted testing got me to fall in love with MGS! I don't know any other spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm originally from the Seattle area, but I now live in Westlake Village, California. My home course is Los Robles Greens in Thousand Oaks.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing about golf here is that you can play year round with perfect weather. The worst is that a lot of the golf around here is expensive.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a middle school math teacher and I love it!

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's my name!

Dude! I’m also a teacher who plays regularly at Robles. We’ll have to connect for a round sometime. 

• Like 2

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

9 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

Dude! I’m also a teacher who plays regularly at Robles. We’ll have to connect for a round sometime. 

Yes! Let's make it happen! August is usually rough with school starting up, but I'm hoping to play some more afternoon rounds this fall.

• Like 1

Just golfing to have a good time