Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Southwest: CA, NV, UT, AZ, HI

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

Hello all! New to the group and fairly new to golf.

I been hacking/playing(if that’s what you wanna call it) off and on for 6 years but really started engaged, focused play in August’23. I been doing clinics and play 2-3 times a week. I started with a GHIN of 40 and now I’m at a 19. 

I’m a member of USGA and affiliated with Southern California PGA Hope. I’m also member of Team Semper Fi of the Semper Fi Fund. I’m also a member at Temecula Creek Inn Golf in Southern California.

I’m always ready to play anytime especially Sun-Tues. 

My first set of clubs (Orlimar) was a beginner set that I got off of Amazon on 2018 for $299.99. I have upgraded since then, I was fitted for the Ping G430 series. By the grace of the Semper Fi Fund I was just fitted today (3/23/2024) for PXGs new Black Ops driver, hybrids, woods and Gen6 irons. I’m super excited to get them. I’ll let ya know how they perform. 

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_2508.jpeg

Respectfully,

Dave Pruden, 

Area Manager, Dispatch 

DUR9 Temecula, CA

MSgt, USMC (Ret)

Hey all! Im Josh, long time lurker - first time poster. Was finally paired with a fellow MyGolfSpy forum user who encouraged me to actually be active here - so here it goes!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

- I have been playing golf for about 3 years, with a year in between my first year and the past two I had to take off due to a spine surgery. Handicap is currently at a 16.4 - however, as of late it feels like a 20+. In one of those funks the past month or so as I am working through some swing changes. 

2. What do you love about golf?

- I love the challenge and the endless pursuit of trying to improve. However, the best part about golf is the community and the time spent with family and friends who play. I love the idea that its something I can enjoy for many many years to come. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

- As mentioned above, I have always been a lurker of these forums and utilizing the main site for all its reviews/ball labs etc. Always come to MyGolfSpy before making any big gear purchase etc. Also, when I was out after the initial spine surgery I had to be at home for over 4 months and had just got recently bit by the golf bug - so I consumed an unhealthy amount of golf content. That was when I first discovered MyGolfSpy. 

In terms of other Spies - I had the pleasure of being randomly paired and playing a round last week with GolfSpy SAM. He mentioned being a part of a forum which sparked the conversation about MyGolfSpy. He is the one that encouraged me to finally start posted and not just reading. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

- Currently live in Santa Clarita, CA. My home course would be Sand Canyon Country Club I guess, however I love going to different courses and playing new courses all the time. In the short time I have been playing golf, I have played all over Southern California as well as a few other states. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

- Best thing is probably that I can play golf year round and their are tons of courses all around. Funny enough, when I first got into golf - I kept reading on forums, watching youtube videos etc. and they kept mentioned a "golf season". I was confused and tried to research what the season was exactly and what it meant - until it dawned on my that other states just have weather that dictates a "season". 🤣

Worst this is the difficulty to find a tee time without having to wake up at 6am a week before trying to snag a good time on certain courses. (Just look up the FreeTheTee scandal in LA). The sheer amount of golfers sometimes make it difficult for a last minute, unplanned round. The other downside ive noticed vs. other states is how California charges the cart fee separately - making the tee times more expensive than other states. 

6. What do you do for a living?

- Retail General Manager for a large furniture store based out of California but is now in over 7 states. 

7. How’d you pick your user name?

- My first passion was music and I played drums in multiple bands growing up (even went to school for audio engineering etc). With that my first ever msn messenger user was drumnj - so it was an easy transition to golfnj. The 23 comes from my sons birthday. 

WITB:

- Ping G430 Max 9 degree - Ventus TR Blue 6R

- Cobra Aerojet 5 wood and Cobra LTDx 7 wood

- Mizuno MP225 5-GW, KBS C-Taper 120s

- 52 degree Taylormade MG3 HiToe, 56 degree Bettinardi HLX 5.0 (RJ Grind), 60 degree Bettinard HLX 3.0 (RJ Grind) 

- Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini DB (Currently in bag) - rotates with a Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 2022 

Edited by Golfnj23
  • WITB: 
  • Driver: Between Ping 425max and Titleist Tsi2 
  • 3w: Mavrik Max
  • 4 hybrid: Epic Flash 
  • Irons (5-Aw): Mavrik Max
  • Wedges: JAWS MD5 (52,56,60)
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
  • Ball: ProV1 

Welcome the forums @Golfnj23 and @pruden6 glad to see more West Coast area members joining the forums. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

Hi,

Glad to join the MGS community.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing for over 40 years and carry an GHIN of 9. Could be and should be lower. 😃

What do you love about golf? Like life, you can't be perfect, so you learn how to control what you can control and do your best. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Friend recommended the site when I was looking to change balls. MGS's ball reviews were very helpful.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Live in a quiet suburb north of Los Angeles in the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains. Close access to muni's like Wilson, Harding, Hansen Dam, Brookside, etc. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Too many golfers, not enough tee times. The recent "scandal" of tee time brokers in L.A. tells you how tough it is here.

What do you do for a living? Finance and accounting for an apparel company. Only allows me to play on the weekends.=(

How’d you pick your user name? I love music!

Looking forward to improving my game with insightful information from MGS!

WITB

Driver - Titleist TSR3 9 degrees, Mitsubishi Diamana PB Series 60 S
3 Wood - Mizuno ST-Z 230 15 degrees, Mitsubishi Tensei Kaili Blue 70
3-PW - Mizuno 221, Project X LS
Gap - Mizuno T-22, 52 degrees, D grind
Sand - Mizuno T-22, 58 degrees, S grind
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Triple Track Ten S
Ball - Pro V1X Left Dash

kamusicman

Welcome to the MGS forums @kamusicman! Always great to have more West Coast members (we are growing). And any questions you have there will be plenty of members ready to answer for you!

WITB

On 3/26/2024 at 9:25 PM, Golfnj23 said:

Hey all! Im Josh, long time lurker - first time poster. Was finally paired with a fellow MyGolfSpy forum user who encouraged me to actually be active here - so here it goes!

image.gif

Loved playing with you and your dad, but THRILLED you're here! 

Poke around - so many incredible members with literally nothing else to do than respond 😜

Welcome, buddy!!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

On 3/23/2024 at 9:57 PM, pruden6 said:

Hello all! New to the group and fairly new to golf.

I been hacking/playing(if that’s what you wanna call it) off and on for 6 years but really started engaged, focused play in August’23. I been doing clinics and play 2-3 times a week. I started with a GHIN of 40 and now I’m at a 19. 

I’m a member of USGA and affiliated with Southern California PGA Hope. I’m also member of Team Semper Fi of the Semper Fi Fund. I’m also a member at Temecula Creek Inn Golf in Southern California.

I’m always ready to play anytime especially Sun-Tues. 

My first set of clubs (Orlimar) was a beginner set that I got off of Amazon on 2018 for $299.99. I have upgraded since then, I was fitted for the Ping G430 series. By the grace of the Semper Fi Fund I was just fitted today (3/23/2024) for PXGs new Black Ops driver, hybrids, woods and Gen6 irons. I’m super excited to get them. I’ll let ya know how they perform. 

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_2508.jpeg

Welcome!! I'm up in Santa Clarita - let's try to find a time to get a group together to tee it up!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Hey guys. My name is Ian and I live in SoCal near Ontario. I’ve really only been playing for the past 2 years or so besides a few times when I was younger. 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

As mentioned above I’ve been playing about 2 years now and 1 with my own clubs. I had an old hand me down set of Wilson’s. I normally tend to score in the mid 90’s as of now. 

What do you love about golf?

I love being outside and having a good day with friends. I’m also very competitive so that tends to drive a lot of what happens out there. I tend to be good at other sports so it’s currently driving me nuts that I can’t get better on my own as of yet. I love everything about golf now and I’m a true fanatic. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I originally came to MGS for the reviews since I knew really nothing about the game or differences in products. I tend to still stick to reviews, but I’m starting to tip toe into the forum more now.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live near Ontario in California. Technically my home course would be Upland or Marshall Canyon. I tend to try and play anywhere new that I can though because I love seeing new courses. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best thing about our region is probably the weather. I can probably golf 365 if I really wanted to without being too uncomfortable. The worst thing would have to be how crowded everywhere is on the normal days. Especially weekends. Greens fees are going up while courses aren’t improving and they’re actually shortening/changing layouts to add houses or other real estate. 

What do you do for a living?

I’m currently a firefighter and have been for the past 6-7 years. 

How’d you pick your user name?

I honestly just like a clean and simple username. I appreciate the creativity in others, but I like plain I that aspect 🤷🏻‍♂️

WITB:

Driver- PXG 0211, EvenFlow Riptide CB 6.0-S 60g

3h- Callaway Paradym X 18°, Hzrdus 6.0 70g Mid Spin

Irons: 4-P Callaway Paradym X, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw, 52° 10s, 56° 10s, 60° 8w, Dynamic Gold S200

Putter: Ping Craz-e C, Winn Grip

image.jpg

Edited by Imaxwell

WITB: PXG 0211 driver, paradym 3h, paradym X 4-P, Jaws Raw 52, 56, 60, Ping CrazE C putter. 

11 minutes ago, Imaxwell said:

Hey guys. My name is Ian and I live in SoCal near Ontario. I’ve really only been playing for the past 2 years or so besides a few times when I was younger. 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

As mentioned above I’ve been playing about 2 years now and 1 with my own clubs. I had an old hand me down set of Wilson’s. I normally tend to score in the mid 90’s as of now. 

I love being outside and having a good day with friends. I’m also very competitive so that tends to drive a lot of what happens out there. I tend to be good at other sports so it’s currently driving me nuts that I can’t get better on my own as of yet. I love everything about golf now and I’m a true fanatic. 

I originally came to MGS for the reviews since I knew really nothing about the game or differences in products. I tend to still stick to reviews, but I’m starting to tip toe into the forum more now.

I live near Ontario in California. Technically my home course would be Upland or Marshall Canyon. I tend to try and play anywhere new that I can though because I love seeing new courses. 

The best thing about our region is probably the weather. I can probably golf 365 if I really wanted to without being too uncomfortable. The worst thing would have to be how crowded everywhere is on the normal days. Especially weekends. Greens fees are going up while courses aren’t improving and they’re actually shortening/changing layouts to add houses or other real estate. 

I’m currently a firefighter and have been for the past 6-7 years. 

How’d you pick your user name?

I honestly just like a clean and simple username. I appreciate the creativity in others, but I like plain I that aspect 🤷🏻‍♂️

Welcome and nice bag! I haven't played in Ontario yet but I just played in Victorville this passed Thursday. Not sure if the weather is at all similar out near you.

WITB

Hey everyone, now that more than a couple of my friends are getting into the game, I'm also getting back into it. My fitter told me about MGS so I thought I'd join and do an intro so I can ask questions.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 15+ years on and off, played on the HS team and some casual in college then dropped off for about 4 years. Casually played during covid and now almost weekly now that friends have embraced the game.

What do you love about golf? Technique, precision, the outdoors, having a beer on the course. The shiny new toys that are always available.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Fitter told me about the reviews here, been lurking for a couple months.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Los Angeles area, Santa Anita Golf Course in Arcadia is probably my home course as I've played there more than anywhere else.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best: year round golf. Worst: public courses are pretty beat up due to drought and weather. 

What do you do for a living? Entertainment industry.

How’d you pick your user name? It's my video game username for all my platforms, easy to keep it consitent.

Nike Vapor Fly Driver, Covert Tour 3W, Covert 5W

Cobra Radspeed 4H, King F7 5-G, Nike Wedges 56/60

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

23 hours ago, Imaxwell said:

Technically my home course would be Upland or Marshall Canyon.

Marshall Canyon is a great course.  Haven't played it in years but I remember it being challenging but fun, and lots of deer.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

Hey there....I am Philip from Carefree, AZ. I am an 11 handicapper, left-handed and play the following clubs:

*Driver: Ping G430

*3 Wood: Ping G430

*Hybrid: Ping G430

*Irons: (5 through GW) Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal Irons

*Wedges: (54 and 58 degree) Cleaveland RTX Full Face Tour Satin

*Putter: Ping Anser

Philip Henn

Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker

Hunt Distinctive Properties ERA

Cell: 480.825.1686

EMAIL: [email protected]

12 minutes ago, Hennbird said:

Hey there....I am Philip from Carefree, AZ. I am an 11 handicapper, left-handed and play the following clubs:

*Driver: Ping G430

*3 Wood: Ping G430

*Hybrid: Ping G430

*Irons: (5 through GW) Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal Irons

*Wedges: (54 and 58 degree) Cleaveland RTX Full Face Tour Satin

*Putter: Ping Anser

Welcome to the forum, fellow AZ lefty!

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Tour 2.0 Black 65 X shaft

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º :truetemper:Dynamic Gold S 300 shaft

:ping-small: Ping Prime Tyne 4 (pending delivery of custom order :L.A.B.: DF3)

Thanks Musical Medicine!

Philip Henn

Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker

Hunt Distinctive Properties ERA

Cell: 480.825.1686

EMAIL: [email protected]

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?
I've been playing off and on for the majority of my life, probably 25 years or so. However, I largely took a break from 2017-2022 due to a young family, work, etc. After moving to Utah, I picked it back up in the summer of 2022 and have found a love for the game that I never had before. Right now my handicap is 7.7 after a few mediocre rounds at Pinehurst, but I range between 6 and 8 now.

I love the ability to challenge myself and get time outside, especially in the beauty of southern Utah

I'm here because I really enjoy reading the reviews on everything golf-related

I live in southern Utah, though I'm originally from the Twin Cities. My home course is Bloomington Country Club in St. George.

I love that golf is year-round here, and I have no issue at all playing when it's 100+ degrees. As long as I stay hydrated, the pace of play is usually great. One thing I don't love about golf here is that it tends to be fairly expensive compared to other parts of the country. I will say, most of the courses here are great and rounds do come with a cart, so it's far from being a huge negative.

I am in software sales and have spent my career at B2B focused SaaS companies

How’d you pick your user name?
I'm usually pretty un-creative when it comes to user names, so mine is pretty self-explanatory

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 10.5* with Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5

Fairways: Titleist TSR2+ 13* and TSR3 15* (at 15.75) with Tensei 1K Black 75X

Driving Iron: Taylormade Tour Preferred 2 iron with KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff

Hybrid: Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4 hybrid

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-PW with KBS Max Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.08F, Taylormade MG4 54.11, Vokey SM9 60.08M

Putter: Mizuno M-Craft OMOI 06 35"

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

How long have you been playing golf? I’ve been playing for over 30 years. Started as a kid and haven’t been able to quit.

What’s your handicap or normal score? I usually play 9 holes at a time, and I shoot high 30s to mid 40s, depending on how my game feels, and the course difficulty. If I play 18, I usually shoot in the mid 80s  

What do you love about golf? The challenge of getting better, and spending time outdoors with my son and friends. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I came for the reviews and info, but stayed because it seems like a good group of like minded people who all enjoy the game as much as I do.

Do you already know any other Spies? Not yet  

Where are you from? What is your home course? I am born and raised in Salt Lake City, UT. My home course is Glenmoor Golf Course in South Jordan, UT. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing is the reasonable cost, the number and variety of courses, and the beautiful conditions. It is hard to find  course that is in bad shape. The worst thing is the shortened season. Mid-March to mid-November is all we get  those winter months are brutal. 

What do you do for a living? I work in the financial services industry where I oversee regulatory compliance. 

How’d you pick your user name? The Clubhouse Leader resonated with me. They are someone who put in the work and achieved being on top, even if it doesn’t mean they will win the whole thing. But they gave themselves a chance, and that’s all you can ask for. 

Edited by Clubhouse Leader

Robert Garcia

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I started playing golf (seriously) when I was in college. I played baseball growing up and never really played an actual round. My addiction started 7 years ago and i'm currently a 4.0 handicap. These last 2 years have been my biggest leap in progression as I have taken some lessons and dove into my golf swing. 

What do you love about golf? I love that Golf requires patience and a level of focus for every shot. Also being outside and enjoying the beautiful course is never a bad thing. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I came across MyGolfSpy recently after browsing the internet for new golf equipment I don't know any MGS's yet. Hoping to link up in the future though for sure!

Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from Ogden Utah and my home course is Riverside Golf Course. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? There is a lot of variety of courses here (mountain golf, links and desert golf). The bad part is we have heavy winters so from November to March, you're limited to simulator golf or the driving range. 

What do you do for a living? I'm a contract specialist for the Department of Treasury. 

How’d you pick your user name? I went with my Twitter name that I made in high school. 

New here. Love MyGolfSpy's reviews and figured it's time to get on the forum.

How long have you been playing golf? Five years, since March 2019. I started on executive courses when no one was really golfing and tee times were abundant. What’s your handicap or normal score? Currently 11, but trying to get to single digit this year. Usually shooting in the mid/low 80s and usually have a couple of rounds in the 70s each year. I've had many 4-5 over rounds on the local executive courses.

What do you love about golf? I love the challenge of golf and learning and teaching myself new techniques. It's fun learning a basic move and seeing how technical I can get. I also like making new friends and getting paired with other random golfers. who love the game. I usually play solo and grab whatever tee time I can. Sometimes you get a bad pairing, but most of the time it's a fun round.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I've been following reviews for year and signed up to test products and it let me here. Do you already know any other Spies? Nope, no known Spies that I am aware of.

Where are you from? San Diego What is your home course? Balboa Park is where I play the most now but I used to live in Encinitas and Encinitas Ranch was where I learned to play.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Getting tee times and crowded driving ranges. When I started in 2019, no one really played and now you have to book everything in advance.

What do you do for a living? Sales and account managing for a sock company.

How’d you pick your user name? Just figured I'd go with something San Diego based.

SIM2 MAX D, Ping i230 5-PW, SIM MAX 3&4 hybrids, TaylorMade MG3 50/54/88 wedges. Cleveland HB SOFT 4 putter

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been taking golf seriously since the pandemic. Went from a 21 ish handicap to a 13 in the last 2 years. My rounds hover around mid to high 80s.

What do you love about golf? I love being outside and walking. I love trying new shots and figuring out best course management. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Love reading reviews and exploring new gear to improve my game.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Rancho Cucamonga. Red Hill Country Club

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Hot summers is the worst. Not having a true winter and playing year round is the best. 

What do you do for a living? Attorney. 

How’d you pick your user name? Mixture of first/last name. #basic

Ping G430 10k Max with LA Golf Shaft

TM Mini Driver with KBS TD 7 Cat 4 

P790 Irons

MG4 54.11 wedge

High Toe 58.10 wedge

TM Spider GT Putter