TESTERS WANTED! ×

Southwest: CA, NV, UT, AZ, HI

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?--I have been seriously playing for probably 10 years or so. Another 5-7 years much less seriously before that. My normal scores are usually somewhere between 75 and 83, with the occasional outlier on either end.

2. What do you love about golf?--I love to be outside so that is a big plus. But I also love that it's a game that has a system in place where everyone can play together on a pretty even playing field.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?--Curiosity. I think I might know one or two.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?--Born and raised in St. Paul, MN, but moved to Las Vegas about 3 years ago. I don't have a home course. Sort of a nomad

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?--It doesn't snow 6 months out of the year so being able to be on the golf course all year is a big plus. A plus and negative would be there aren't many trees so when it's windy, its windy.

6. What do you do for a living?--I do training, implementation, and consulting for a computer software system installed in car, semi-truck, equipment, and motor sport dealerships. 

7. How’d you pick your user name?--It was a nickname that was given to me by my hockey coaches when I was little. 

Woods: Titleist TS2 8.5*

Taylormade M3 15*

Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 19*

Irons: Ping i5 2 iron

Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-5

Cleveland 588 CB 6-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52*

Cleveland RTX4 Low 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi Mid (43" cut to 34")

Hi fellow west coast golfers. I'm fairly new around here still, so I'll keep sharing information until someone holds up the quiet signs.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing since 1997, with a break during my Michelin star chasing years.

What do you love about golf?

Its a Neverending life lesson and challenge that has shaped my personality for the better. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I found you guys through the ball lab.i don't know any spies yet, but everyone has been unbelievably welcoming and nice. 

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am originally from Portsmouth, NH and currently live in Sonoma County, CA. I am currently a member at Northwood, GC in Monte Rio. We are currently looking to move back to New England in the spring. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best? No off-season. Worst? Lack of grass ranges and fire season. 

What do you do for a living?

I have worked in food for 15 years, and am currently a manager at a grocery store because of the pandemic. I am actively working to transition into the golf industry by next season. 

How’d you pick your user name?

its my old college email address that I just use for everything since it's a combination of my first and last name. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Hey, new here. My dad and I have been hitting the course since I could walk. He’s both my coach and my most frequent companion on the course. My old man is 60 yrs old and a scratch golfer. He keeps me humble. However he just broke his arm (near the shoulder) mad after 8 tedious months got clearance to start back at golfing. I’m coming in here to look for tips people may have re coming back  after injuries and playing into old age for him. As well as building a consistent all around game for me

I’m 25 and looking forward to a helluva lot more golf ahead of me than I have behind me. 

I played golf in my childhood and teen years then got distracted more by other sports in high school. Doing that I built up the muscle and flexibility to really be able to crack the whip on my swing for a high club head speed. I can get some good distance and love my driver, woods and long irons. Now I’m looking to get consistent with them and hit some fairways for once😅 and maybe get it on the green in regulation a couple of times a round 🤷🏻‍♂️

Putter- Wilson staff Michigan Ave

Wedges 52-56-60 titleist vokey

Irons P, 9-4 titleist

taylormade 19 degree fairway wood

3 wood titleist 15 degree

driver- my recent self indulgence. Honma 747 World set at ten degrees. X-Stiff shaft. 

Aloha Everyone!  My name is Jake, been following Mygolfspy on Instagram for a while now, but finally wanted to get involved in the community!!! 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I've been playing golf since about high school about 6 years ago.  Just got into it when my friends and I would start going.  Old buddy of mine gave me clubs and taught me.  My handicap right now is a 9.0, and usually shoot in the low 80's.

2. What do you love about golf? I love golf because it's the most challenging sport out there.  Doesn't matter how athletic you are, and trying to get that swing right is always a challenge no matter how long you've played.  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Been following MyGolfSpy on IG so I've always kept up with the legit reviews!  Don't know any other spies just yet, but excited to do so!!!!

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from Oahu, Hawaii, born and raised.  Home course is Hawaii Kai Golf Course on the south east point of Oahu, but my friends and I play golf once a week at different courses all over the island.  

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best part is we can golf year round with no worries, but since it's Hawaii, the rounds cost a lot of money!!!! 

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a healthcare consultant who provides consultation to large employers around the islands.  

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My friends and I used to call ourselves the Pinhunterz so I felt it was only fitting!! 

I have been playing golf for almost nine years.  My husband bought me a started set for our anniversary one year and I actually stuck with it.

I love getting to see so many beautiful places and the challenge with every round.

I'm from California and have played lots of different courses.

On 11/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, pinhunter808 said:

Aloha Everyone!  My name is Jake, been following Mygolfspy on Instagram for a while now, but finally wanted to get involved in the community!!! 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I've been playing golf since about high school about 6 years ago.  Just got into it when my friends and I would start going.  Old buddy of mine gave me clubs and taught me.  My handicap right now is a 9.0, and usually shoot in the low 80's.

2. What do you love about golf? I love golf because it's the most challenging sport out there.  Doesn't matter how athletic you are, and trying to get that swing right is always a challenge no matter how long you've played.  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Been following MyGolfSpy on IG so I've always kept up with the legit reviews!  Don't know any other spies just yet, but excited to do so!!!!

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from Oahu, Hawaii, born and raised.  Home course is Hawaii Kai Golf Course on the south east point of Oahu, but my friends and I play golf once a week at different courses all over the island.  

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best part is we can golf year round with no worries, but since it's Hawaii, the rounds cost a lot of money!!!! 

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a healthcare consultant who provides consultation to large employers around the islands.  

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My friends and I used to call ourselves the Pinhunterz so I felt it was only fitting!! 

Kalani or Kaiser?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Noob on this forum, not to the game. Decided to join after reading some reviews, exposure to MGS via other social media. Live in the Reno-Sparks area. Grew up in NorCal. Introduced to golf (and good bourbon) by my father. My best golf scores are behind me but I get more enjoyment from the game than when I was a single digit handicap.  I tend to play the area courses under the "Duncan Golf Management" umbrella.  

Looking forward to exploring this website and taking in the views from others who enjoy the game and all of its facets.

Other Stuff

• How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Have played 53 years, Current Index is 15.6.   

• What do you love about golf?  It's unscripted fun, torture, and adventure. The game has taken me to some great venues and I've enjoyed the pursuit of Old Man Par all these years. 

• What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Reno-Tahoe area lacks affordable summer-time golf. Shoulder season rates are good once the tourists go home. There are some world class mountain courses within an hour's drive but they're 3 figure green fees; now that I'm retired, those are maybe one or two times a summer.

• What do you do for a living? I was in manufacturing operations from 1986 - 2019. Prior to that, I was in the military due to a Army college scholarship obligation.

• How’d you pick your user name?  A nickname picked up from college era acquaintances. 

Edited by CPTBilly
Details, details. . .

I was sad because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no lob wedge.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from Las Vegas! I just wanted to stop in and say Hi. 

I stopped playing golf for about 15 years since moving from California to Nevada. But because of the recent quarantine, etc. a good buddy of mine talked me into getting out to the range.

And because of the lack of work/employment recently here in Las Vegas, I've been able to play a round about once or twice a week. (I'm pretty much retired now Lol)

I hope to meet and learn from others on this forum and look forward to starting a new year!

--
702_GolfGuy

• 2 weeks later...

-How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

18 handicapper 

-What do you love about golf?

Love the potential that the game could one day be accessible and others can experience the game. 

-What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Injured and have some free time, looking for community. 

-Where are you from? What is your home course?

Colorado and California.

-What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Weather!

-What do you do for a living?

Teacher. 

-How’d you pick your user name?

Initials. 

Hey im a 13yr 13hdcp

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red Velocore (Reg)

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 3-wood 15* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Blue (Reg)

Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 3hy 19* + 4hy 22* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Red (Reg)

Irons: :taylormade-small: P7mc 4-P (2* flat) Nippon NS Pro (Reg)

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 50,55,60 SB (2* flat) True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom 12

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer

Launch Monitor: Flightscope Mevo+

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

First time I played 18 was in February and I'm a 13 hdcp

A perfect balance on many skills.

just a nice community

Berkeley, Tilden-Chabot-Corica

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Many people are nice, Its not a big sport here

I pay for people to make me do work(school) FYI I'm 13

Just been my username for everything

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red Velocore (Reg)

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 3-wood 15* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Blue (Reg)

Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 3hy 19* + 4hy 22* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Red (Reg)

Irons: :taylormade-small: P7mc 4-P (2* flat) Nippon NS Pro (Reg)

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 50,55,60 SB (2* flat) True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom 12

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer

Launch Monitor: Flightscope Mevo+

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Got my first set of clubs when I was 14, I have never shot over 100, my first round of golf was a 99. Always shot less than that ever since then. Have not played for 10 years, last round I played was a 75 three over par, but had a knee injury from over swinging and quit. So I bought a new set of clubs because I missed it. Trying to see if I can hold a senior swing together without hurting the knee again so far so good.

2. What do you love about golf? Simple and complex at the same time, which means it is endlessly challenging fascinating and you are always learning something.  I always recognized smart successful people enjoyed the game so that is who I wanted to hang out with.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I am a scientist, I love your scientific principle, as rational thought usually carries the day.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Poppy Ridge Livermore

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Lots of good golf courses to choose from/wet courses mean bumpy footprint greens.

6. What do you do for a living? Scientist

7. How’d you pick your user name? Enjoy the Marvel universe.

Callaway Apex Pro 21 (5-AW)

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

Cleveland RTX zipcore sand wedge

Odyssey Rossie White Hot OG Putter 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

About 30 years, normal score is somewhere in the 80's depending on the course.

The thing I love most about golf is that it's always a test against your former self. You can always learn and improve for as long as you play.

I'm looking for unbiased reviews. I don't think I know any other Spies.

Scottsdale, Az. My home course is Grayhawk.

The best thing about golf in AZ are the plentiful options and ability to play year round. The worst thing are the slow pace of play and high greens fees in the winter.

What do you do for a living?

I'm in technology working for a startup company.

Clayton was taken so I went with my initials.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:59 PM, Brittney said:

I have been playing golf for almost nine years.  My husband bought me a started set for our anniversary one year and I actually stuck with it.

I love getting to see so many beautiful places and the challenge with every round.

I'm from California and have played lots of different courses.

Welcome. There is a lot of great people and information to be shared. I hope we learn from you as well. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hello all!  I am James living in the Bay Area, San Carlos to be exact.  Moved from San Diego a number of years ago and recaught the golf bug after taking a break.  Looking to connect with people and be around fellow golfers.  

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing since I was about 7 so around 35 yrs.. Currently sitting at 5

2. What do you love about golf? Always loved playing since picking up a club, demanding sport, mental, and always something new to learn

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Don't know any spies and seemed like an engaging community so thought would see what's going on

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Live in San Carlos and probably consider Half Moon Bay Golf Links home course

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Worst is most places don't have ranges and if they do they are all mat.  Best is the weather is pretty great all year so able to go anytime

6. What do you do for a living? Working in tech

7. How’d you pick your user name? Growing up my father had a few boats and one was a Scarab offshore. Always felt like James Bond when we went out so Scarab007 is the name that stuck

JE

Titleist TSi2 driver fitted with Tour AD IZ-6 

Titleist TS2 hybrid fitted with KBS Prototype 85 

Titleist T200 irons fitted with Nippon Modus 120

Callaway JAWS MD5 54, 58, 60 fitted with Nippon Modus 120 

EVNROLL ER5 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from the California high desert/Victor valley!The main reason I came here was to look for somewhere to post a swing video and get some feedback. Is there a place I can do that? I looked through the instruction forms briefly but didn't see anybody posting swing videos so I am wondering if that's something that's not done here.

1. I've been playing golf since about 2010 normally score in the '80s with the good rounds dipping into the high seventies.

2. I love hanging out with friends being in the outdoors hitting great shots and competing.

3. Best thing about golf in my area is relatively affordable prices and year-round playing. Not really very many great courses in my area though and the winds can be nasty.

4. I'm a school music teacher

• 4 weeks later...

New member here. I hang out at another board quite a bit also.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

1. Was a college baseball player (catcher) back in the 80's, but hurt my shoulder my sophomore year, which wrecked my dreams of a pro career, which was on the near horizon. Took up golf and never looked back. Started playing when I was 20, and was a (bad) scratch player by 23? Have been between a +1 and +3.5 for most years since, though significant back trouble has got me playing to a 1.9 right now, which is the worst I've been in 25 years. Can hardly swing a club right now without significant pain. And this just after two of my best competitive years ever.

2. What do you love about golf?

1. Far, far too many things to mention. It is my passion.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

1. Read a post by a guy who had an electro stimulator implanted in his back to help with back pain. Thought I'd join after seeing that. Strange thing to make me want to join, but what the heck. 🙂

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

1. Inland Southern California. Home course is Victoria Club in Riverside, CA, after about 10 years at Bear Creek in Murrieta, CA.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

1. I love everything about SoCal golf.

6. What do you do for a living?

1. I run admissions and marketing for a small college for actors, dancers, and filmmakers

7. How’d you pick your user name?

1. "Obee" was my college baseball nickname.

I play more hybrids than irons. By a lot.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:31 AM, golfish! said:

Not a new member but I realized we now have regional member intros. Hello all from sunny SoCal! Hope to meet you all if we get a regional MGS meet going. Feel like this is the beginning of a new tour! The MGS Tour...like the sound of that!

Yes! MGS goes SoCal! Go away COVID so we can do this!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

• 2 weeks later...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Off and on more off than on for 38 years. Very passionately for the last two. 16 hcp

living near a large city like San Francisco it's great to be in the middle of a golf course and forget that the rest of civilization is there.

Rohnert Park, CA (Northern SF Bay area)

The best thing is every single golf course we have here.

The worst? What? This is Northern California what are you talkin about?

I do vehicle maintenance for San Francisco Muni. I also have my own YouTube golf channel.

How’d you pick your user name?

It's a nickname I have used for close to thirty years.

Wilson Staff Cortex Driver 9.0 Atmos Red Tour Spec 5s shaft

King Cobra f6 3/4 Fairway wood

Tommy Armour TA1 Combo Hybrid/Iron set 3/4/5 Hybrid 6-G wedge

TaylorMade Black Milled grind Raw Face 54 + 58 Wedges

MLA (Multi Line Alignment) Tour Dreamer Putter

HI everyone!!  New member from Los Angeles.  I am getting back into golf after taking a few years off.   Was part of another golf form for several years, had some great times, wonderful memories, and met some great people over there and hope to get the same or more here.  I have been playing off and on for over 20 years and generally shoot in the 90s to just over 100.  I come here because of the enjoyment I got from that other forum.  I believe I know a few members here but will have to see who else is around.  I know @ole gray and @DawgDaddymaybe a few more.  

Edited by White Rhino

Driver:cobra-small: S3

FW: :taylormade-small:SIM Max 3HL

Hybrid - :bridgestone-small: J40 3H :taylormade-small:RBZ 5H

Irons - :cobra-small: RADSPEED One Length - 6 - GW

Wedges - :taylormade-small: TP Wedges - 54* & 58*

Putter - :odyssey-small: Rossie 

Ball - :bridgestone-small: E12

15 minutes ago, White Rhino said:

HI everyone!!  New member from Los Angeles.  I am getting back into golf after taking a few years off.   Was part of another golf form for several years, had some great times, wonderful memories, and met some great people over there and hope to get the same or more here.  I have been playing off and on for over 20 years and generally shoot in the 90s to just over 100.  I come here because of the enjoyment I got from that other forum.  I believe I know a few members here but will have to see who else is around.  I know @ole gray and @DawgDaddymaybe a few more.  

Hey old friend!   Glad you joined us and looking forward to seeing you around.  It's amazing how many friends we made back then that we have followed all these years.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 minute ago, ole gray said:

Hey old friend!   Glad you joined us and looking forward to seeing you around.  It's amazing how many friends we made back then that we have followed all these years.  

Those days were some of the best in my life.  Once I get used to how things work around here, you know I will be part of things.  Are you still talking about that woodshed?  

1 minute ago, White Rhino said:

Those days were some of the best in my life.  Once I get used to how things work around here, you know I will be part of things.  Are you still talking about that woodshed?  

LOL now and then the woodshed will pop up 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

23 minutes ago, White Rhino said:

Hey Gordon, how you been buddy?  Glad to have you aboard. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

1 minute ago, DawgDaddy said:

Hey Gordon, how you been buddy?  Glad to have you aboard. 

Thanks Randy!!  I am doing ok thanks.  I am excited to get back into the game.   Took quite a bit of time off and ready to start getting out there and playing again.

10 minutes ago, White Rhino said:

Thanks Randy!!  I am doing ok thanks.  I am excited to get back into the game.   Took quite a bit of time off and ready to start getting out there and playing again.

You still in Crovina?  My nephew moved to Reseda so you are not neighbors anymore.  He was in Rosemead

Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Just now, DawgDaddy said:

You still in Crovina?  My nephew moved to Reseda so you are not neighbors anymore.  He was in Rosemead

Reseda is still not too far away.  

Not too sure if I will travel this summer but my great nephew is graduating from H.S. this year and I may make the trip with my sister (his mother) she has dementia and will need someone with her.  She is in the early middle stage and just had her driving license taken last month  She is fine with it as she knows what is happening with the disease. 

If I get out there we will definitely get together one day.  

1. Greetings, I am Kerry Kohashi joining in.

2. How long have you been playing golf? 50+ years What’s your handicap or normal score? 14/15 with mid 80s-90s

3. What do you love about golf? Hardest game I have ever played.

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Quality of the website output. Do you already know any other Spies? No

5. Where are you from? Born and raised in Hawaii.  What is your home course? Don't have one but play 4 regularly.

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Only can play on days that end in "y"

7. What do you do for a living? Retired.