GolfSpy MPR

International

Welcome @HarryC @hovisbap @Bobski121 @Tomkgolf @Mimz @D_Golfer @LeeHDXB @Pandaman 

to the best darn Golf forum on the planet.

Look forward to hearing more about you. Jump in to the threads that interest you, or start your own. We are a very friendly and supportive bunch here.

Just now, perseveringgolfer said:

Welcome @HarryC @hovisbap @Bobski121 @Tomkgolf @Mimz @D_Golfer @LeeHDXB @Pandaman 

Look forward to hearing more about you. Jump in to the threads that interest you, or start your own. We are a very friendly and supportive bunch here.

Awesome, thank you.

I look forward to to diving into the forums deeper.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 5:32 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

Thank you! 

Looking forward to.

I am new to Golf Spy and I am a very committed golfer.

1. I have been golf ever since I was young but over the past couple of years really committed to getting better. I average around 78.

2. I love the challenge of golf and how every day is different, with there is always something to work on, improve, or change every day.

3. I found GolfSpy just through looking through product reviews and recently it has become my first stop when looking for how certain equipment performs.

4. I am from Michigan with Missauke Country Club being my home course.

5. Best thing is that the wind is normally fairly calm hardly ever gets above 15 mph. The worst part is it is very rainy in spring and a very long winter up here losing close to 5 months due to snow.

6. I am currently a college student, and I play college golf.

7.My username is a nickname a bunch of my friends in high school gave me and it stuck since.

• Like 1

Been playing golf for past 15 years but not playing very well because never put in the time to learn to hit my driver well.  I have to be ready to lose alot of balls and kill my scorecard or just tee off with 3hybrid, being 30+ yards behind off the tee.  Driver in the closet! My handicap is 19.6 ... but 30 when I sandbag in corporate golf days 😝 ...but I usually try to hit driver on those days because longest drive and straightest drive holes, so 30 seems fair.  

Golf is my great escape.  Can't think about all the other stuff while trying to focus on hitting a small ball.  Love the walk and even love carrying the bag for 4 hours.  

I was on forum long time ago but drifted away... now I am back.  I am golf nut so love all the club data that goes along with this.  I also need some club advise. 

I am from the US but work around the world, moving quite often.  I am currently living in Norway. Golf in Norway is great but the season is short.  I lived most my life in Asia where I could golf all year but here it is limited to late May - early October. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 7:28 AM, jhak said:

Greetings from icy Finland!

I jumped the gun in the Shafts board before introducing myself. But better do it later than not at all, right? 😉 

My love affair with the game began in 2013, when a friend managed to talk me into taking a green card course. The course was couple of hours of group instruction on three evenings. After the first one, I went straight to the pro shop and bought a beginners set. I think it was Ben Sayers M15 in blue. For a few years, I enjoyed the game immensely without much regard to score, technique or course management.

Realizing that I wasn't really going anywhere, especially technique-wise, I delved into Youtube golf channels and took a few lessons. I started to focus towards short game, mostly because I found I could get the easiest gains near the greens. My long game was mostly held together thanks to the Aeroburner hybrid I still carry around, and humbly accommodating for almost as much slice as distance when lining up my shots.

The Ben Sayers irons gave way to a set graphite-shafted game improvement Callaways which managed to stay in the bag for two years. However, I always graved for the feeling of the steel shaft, and eventually switched to steel-shafted Fly-Z set. They were much nicer to hit, although I had yet to really understand how the golf swing works and how to produce favorable impact conditions. And I never did, until one March (bear in mind, here in Finland we get to play from April/May to maybe October) I spotted a set of new Mizuno MP-54's for half the price at my local golf store. I hit three shots indoors with the seven iron and put the clubs in my bag.

The MP's changed the way I hit the ball overnight. No longer did I have the bravery to just whack at the ball as hard as I thought I could. I had to concentrate, relax, control the club and understand what I was trying to do. For me, these irons were the necessary wake-up call to get my head around the golf swing and the impact. Lacking natural talent at the game, dropping my handicap from 38 to 16 was huge for me. I attribute me still playing golf today to these irons. I will play lots of other sets in the years to come, but I will never part with my MP-54's and they will never gather dust.

As I said earlier, we get to play roughly 6 or 7 months around summer in Finland. This makes winter a natural time for making changes and training. Now, I have always been one to choose playing over training anytime. Last autumn was a magical time for me, but mostly because I played enough to have some rounds where I consistently hit quality iron shots. I shot a new personal best of 89 only to best myself the day after with an 88. Coincidentally, I was born in -88. (This was on a par 73 course, FWIW.)

The newfound iron strike and dropping scores have lead me to finally embrace training; this winter I've started strength training in the gym three times a week and hitting the indoors range as often. Swinging now feels effortless and powerful and I'm set to continue on this regime until the snow melts and grass grows. My goal is to gain as much speed as possible before summer and then learn to control the curve once we can hit balls outdoors and actually see how it flies.

So that's how I've ended up here. Let me know what you think, if that wasn't too long. I sure like writing...

To finish up, here's me (right) with my playing buddy in a memorial scramble, and another picture of my club (Espoo Ringside Golf) at just a magical sunrise last October.

Go Low!

60C9179E-0BD7-4D8A-97C3-DA51644C3954.JPEG

A550B7E2-58D8-4B7F-B4D1-3499F33AF8DD.JPEG

Very cool photos!

MDGolfHacker

Hello from Australia

How long have you been playing golf? 35 years

1. What’s your handicap or normal score? 3 but havent played regular competitive golf for a number of years. Probably more a 5 marker.

2. What do you love about golf? Golf feeds my obsessive personality. The feel of the perfect shot. The history of the game. Collecting beautiful clubs.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Instagram initially brought me. next year I turn 50 and have started thunjing about tournament play again. Unfortunately none of my wedges conform to the new groove rules. Also I love the craftsmanship that goes into producing high quality equipment. Also the beauty of forums is the sharing of stories, knowledge and history. Mygolfspy has helped me keep up to datecwith innovations in low compression golf ball analysis.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? From Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia. Home course is Wagga City Golf club and it is the home to nearly 500 kangaroos.  A typical flat country course with grass greens. We are heavily influenced by drought conditions currently.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?   8 years ago I lost  interest in tournament golf due to mental health concerns and walked away. I fed my golf compulsion by collecting persimmon woods. One day I purchased a set of hickory golf clubs and they got me back on the golf course. For the past 8 years I have played primarily with hickory clubs in tournaments. Along the way I twice finished 2nd in my club championships with hickory clubs. I play the hickory tournaments and have been fortunate to travel to Scotland to play in the world hickory open. Lastbyear I was fortunate enough to play the world famous Royal Melboune golf course at our Australian hickory open. Gplf has allowed me to meet amazing people and stunning places

6. What do you do for a living? Teacher

7. How’d you pick your user name? Thats me.

Thanks for providing great material mygolfspy

8 hours ago, darronwatt said:

Hello from Australia

How long have you been playing golf? 35 years

1. What’s your handicap or normal score? 3 but havent played regular competitive golf for a number of years. Probably more a 5 marker.

2. What do you love about golf? Golf feeds my obsessive personality. The feel of the perfect shot. The history of the game. Collecting beautiful clubs.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Instagram initially brought me. next year I turn 50 and have started thunjing about tournament play again. Unfortunately none of my wedges conform to the new groove rules. Also I love the craftsmanship that goes into producing high quality equipment. Also the beauty of forums is the sharing of stories, knowledge and history. Mygolfspy has helped me keep up to datecwith innovations in low compression golf ball analysis.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? From Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia. Home course is Wagga City Golf club and it is the home to nearly 500 kangaroos.  A typical flat country course with grass greens. We are heavily influenced by drought conditions currently.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?   8 years ago I lost  interest in tournament golf due to mental health concerns and walked away. I fed my golf compulsion by collecting persimmon woods. One day I purchased a set of hickory golf clubs and they got me back on the golf course. For the past 8 years I have played primarily with hickory clubs in tournaments. Along the way I twice finished 2nd in my club championships with hickory clubs. I play the hickory tournaments and have been fortunate to travel to Scotland to play in the world hickory open. Lastbyear I was fortunate enough to play the world famous Royal Melboune golf course at our Australian hickory open. Gplf has allowed me to meet amazing people and stunning places

6. What do you do for a living? Teacher

7. How’d you pick your user name? Thats me.

Thanks for providing great material mygolfspy

Welcome from way up north. Glad you found us - looking forward to your forum contributions. 

Hello from the south of Sweden! 

1. So I first got into golf this year, actually the very first time I held in a real golf club was April 30 this year. I am in my late 20s, have always enjoyed playing mini golf and come from a hockey background so wacking something with a stick is not new to me. A colleague at work asked if I wanted to come along and hit some balls at the range and I was in! I signed up for a weekend crash course at a local golf club mid may and since then I have played somewhere around 30 rounds (70% 18 hole, 30% 9 hole) both alone for practice and with friends or colleagues. I play as a lefty since that was the most natural given that I come from a hockey background. I´m not sure how it works in the rest of the world but in Sweden you start with a "club" handicap of 54 that you need to work down to a 36 before you can start playing by your self at any course, that was kinda quickly done and I now sit at 25,5 but going down almost every week.

2.  What I love about golf is first of all the competitive aspect both against my own handicap but also to be able to compete with my colleagues that are in single digits handicap. It is a very cool sport/hobby that way, to be completely new and still be able to compete with people that played there whole lives is just cool, not a lot of other sports that is an option. I also love to be outside and walking in the beautiful nature that is a golf course. 

3. I don´t know any other Spies just yet but maybe soon? 😁 I first found the golfspy site when I started to look for reviews, tips and information about equipment and then naturally found my way to the forum section. The forum seems so open and friendly so I signed up after a few weeks of just lurking around to be able to join the discussions.

4. So I´m from a small village in south of Sweden but currently live in Malmö, Swedens third largest city that is located at the very south of Sweden with a number of nice golf courses within a few minutes with car. I am member in a club with 3 courses that is a bit spread out just outside the city, very nice to be able to always find a tee time and to have some variation in courses. 

5. The best thing with golf in my region must be the number of courses, I think I have around 70 courses inside 1,5h drive. Since I´m this new I haven´t found all that much that is bad, at least not specific to my region. The lack of selection for a lefty in golf shops is one.. But i guess that is not a regional issue. Not there fault that the majority of golf players play the wrong way.. 😉

6. I work as a design manager at a small company, meaning I spend most of my days at a computer working with 3d cad modeling. 

7. Gurra is just a nickname my friends call me. My name is Gustav so yea.

See you all in the other threads on here! 

Hi All

Joined the Forum as a Senior (61), based near St Andrews the Home of Golf! Printer By Trade, still going in between rounds of golf 🙂

As Harry Vardon said: "Don't play too much golf - twice a day is enough"
Love the website, reviews, labs testing etc....

Home Course Ladybank GC, Fife, Scotland, Open Qualifier 2011
Current handicap 17.3, once (many years ago) 6.3 drifted back to 9.3 - started paying when I was 15!
Double Slipped Disc in my back in 2007 and was played up for 6 months - so couldn't play 😞 played the odd round, but not seriously..... so out of the game for nearly 10 years...

Moved to Scotland in 2016 and decided in 2017 to try again as I missed it badly, and being the home of Golf I have some of the Best Courses in the world within an hours drive!
Love being out doors, great exercise, social - whats not to like 🙂

Old Course, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Castle & Eden, Royal Aberdeen, The Dukes Course to name a few.
Good and Bad?
GOOD: lots of superb courses, great rates/costs, amazing Links Courses in remote areas can be as little as £20 or $30??
Old Course and some in the area a hugely expensive and hard to get on, most local course are great value.
BAD: Not that much, slow greens mainly, can get a lot of rain!

Started last year on 28 now down to 17, age and a bad back has taken it's toll on the swing, but gradually improving, hope to get to about 11-12 next season.
Not as fast or far - but arguably better course management and short game, just need to find the old putting touch!
Clubs had to be replaced, well most of them!

Woods:
Srixon Driver Z785 10.5Deg, Hazadus Red 5.0 Regular (brilliant - not longest but accurate)
4 Wood: Srixon F45 17 deg - Miyazaki Blue 5R Regular (small head but boy does it fly off the face!)

4 Hybdird: Srixon AD 22 Deg, Srixon Regular (not 100% sure what shaft think its a Mitsubishi - not long but solid)
5 Hybrid: Srixon F355 26 Deg Miysaki Jinsoko Red Regular (4/5 iron replacement, 26 degree - but flies high and long!)

Irons: 3- PW (only carry 5 - PW)
Macgregor M685 Forged (Fully Refurbished) Rifle 5.5 Stiff, MMC Multicord grips
(Superb feel and balance - won't change until I find anything as good, have tested a lot but few match them .. Srixon Z 585/785 Combo Golf Irons maybe?)
Wedges: 
Cleveland RTX588 52 & 56
Cleveland 588 Forged 60

Putter(s):
MacGregor P10 Pro Only Answer Style c. 1973 - fully rebished with Ping BlackOut Pistol grip (Ancient but fantastic feel, balance and alignment)
Ping Answer 4 (c 1982) good on fast Greens.....
Ball:
Srixon Z Star, depends on the conditions, cold Scottish Winters so a AD333! 🙂

Looking forward to gettin involved in teh forums!

Regards

Jerry

Hello from Uruguay!

a small country in South America where golf is not that popular, but we have a MacKenzie course over here!

Currently I am 23 years old and a beginner golfer struggling to practice and improve! Unluckily there aren’t too many facilities, so I got some Birdie balls and I am all they way to go!

Hi all,

Looking forward to using the site a bit more, rather than just lurking! From the UK, raised in Scotland, living in Oxford.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing since I was young, but have only recently starting taking it a bit more seriously.

2. What do you love about golf? Pretty much everything, from watching, to playing, to being outdoors. Mainly that it's a constant quest for improvement and pretty much impossible to master. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Instagram - one of the better accounts.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm Scottish but now live in Oxford. My home course is Frilford Heath, also a member as Royal Cinque Ports. My home courses when growing up were East Kilbride and Kingussie.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best - reasonably good weather all year round. Worst - a (very) slow playing senior section.

6. What do you do for a living? Neurosurgery resident.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's my name.

Here's a couple of golfing trip photos for intro purposes - St A's (including a horrendous overswing 😳), Kingsbarns and Loch Lomond

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

image1.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome @seancgmartin Well done 'escaping' to better weather and some cracking courses down your way.

Jump in here at MGS, they/we are a very friendly and supportive bunch.

Hello everybody, 

My name is Lorenzo and I'm from Italy but living in Luxembourg and practically all over west Europe for work. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've always been interested in golf, but I picked it up seriously only a year and a half ago. My comp playing handicap is 36, but the exact one according to the current Italian golf federation system is 43. I've only played 3 comp so far (those are the only scores that count for the current hcp system), and in general I score in the 105-125 range. The penalty shots are way too many per round!!! 

2. What do you love about golf? The possibility to disconnect from the world for a couple of hours, stay open air no matter the weather and focus only on the small hard ball. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I'd like to find some other players willing to interact and discuss about the game, the gears and eventually meet up for a round or two somewhere. At the moment I don't know any other spy - or maybe I do in person, but they're spies, why should they give up their secret identity???!! 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from Italy, living in Luxembourg and constantly travelling around Europe. My home club is "Golf dei laghi" in Travedona, Italy. I also play quite often in Cockermouth and Eskdale, both in Cumbria - England, and Royfos in Mullsjo, Sweden. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The game is still not extremely popular so it's relatively easy to get tee times without booking. Unfortunately there are way too few courses and they're quite expensive (for what they offer). 

6. What do you do for a living? If I were living in the USA I'd say government, but in Europe I'm just a civil servant. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's my first name

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. Playing since Easter of 2016, Handicap 7.6, however coach says by the end of the year I should be off 6. Normal scores range between Low 80s to mid 70s, how ever I can have rounds in the high 80s, and some in the low 70s.

3. What do you love about golf?

4. I've met so many friends that are much older than myself. Me being a teenager, there aren't a huge amount of teenagers on the golf course, so being able to get on well with the others older then me. But also joining the men, in matches and competitions. A good relax from A Levels.

5. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

6. I joined after looking for reviews on a driving iron. Found the information very involving and nowhere else on the internet can match.

7. Where are you from? What is your home course?

8. I'm from Oxford, England. I am a member at Frilford Heath Golf Club, and North Oxford Golf Club

9. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

10. As I mention earlier, there aren't a lot of people that play that are in my age category. However I always find the adult members are warming and are most of the time behaving!

11. What do you do for a living?

12. I'm a student studying my A levels. However I work in a pro shop during the weekend. 

13. How’d you pick your user name

14. A name that's on my social media