GolfSpy MPR

International

Our Sponsors

On 3/14/2020 at 9:48 PM, Average Mo said:

Hi, 

Brand new member here, started hitting gf balls at the local driving range in July 2019 with my older brother after giving up football (or soccer to most of you outside of the UK) following injury woes.

We finally plucked up the courage to get out onto a course for the first time in around September and haven't looked back since. 

I'm trying to teach myself to play, which I find particularly rewarding when I manage to figure something out. 

I usually score between 103-110 on a par 72 course. I broke 100 (twice) at my local course last month and hope to get lucky again and do it a few more times this summer. 

I'm from Manchester, England. Local course is a beautiful parkland named Marland Golf Course I'm Rochdale, which was recently featured on a popular UK golf Vlog channel on YouTube #Golfmates

I work in Optics/Ophthalmic retail, but am a British Army Veteran. 

My username: my name is Mohammed and I wanted to make a play on the Average Joe title as I would love to see golf become far more inclusive of people from diverse backgrounds and less about status/wealth etc. 

I also have the same username/handle on social media so feel free to follow my journey on there.

The main things I enjoy about golf are getting out and doing some walking, getting some exercise, enjoying the fresh air and open spaces. I love the the challenge of trying to make the perfect swing each time in step up to the ball and the immense sense of accomplishment when hitting a nice shot... but best of all is meeting great people, playing a few holes with strangers and getting to hear their golfing story along the way... 

Hi everyone, 

I've already managed to pick up some great tips and advice from forum members who have kindly responded to my posts on DIY training in the garden as well as a problem I've had with a club recently. 

What a great community to be part of! 

As a new "Recruit" on the MGS forums I'm working toward shaking this label and becoming an actual member, learning as much about this beautiful game along the way. 

I guess with the current lockdown situation we've got plenty of time to help each other out... 

I hope you are all doing well and staying safe. 

• Like 3

:wilson_staff_small: D200 Superlight 12° Driver & 15° 3W

:titelist-small: 818 h1 19° & 23° Hybrids

:cleveland-small: CG-16 6i-PW

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 48° GW, 54° SW, 60° LW

:odyssey-small: White Hot 2 ball Putter, 32.5" shaft, Jumbo Odyssey grip

On 3/27/2020 at 6:21 PM, JvS said:

Hello all,

New golfer here.

What an incredible game 🙂

1- I've only been playing since last August , so the majority of it was playing in wet and/or cold conditions, winter greens and all.. There have not been many opportunities to play qualifying rounds, so my officially registerd handicap (EGA 50) is not a true representation, but I'm still really a beginner golfer.

2- I love being outside, and competing against my own skill level and being in the company of friendly people is amazing. 

3- I stumbled upon MyGolfSpy on the Internet, and love the attitude towards the game and the industry around it. Refreshing, and quite a laugh now and again.

4- I'm from the Netherlands, and my home course is Wageningse Golfclub in ( you guessed it...) Wageningen.

5. I really couldn;t tell, I really lack the experience to have an informed opinion, I guess. An abundance of cheap and accessable municipal golf courses would be nice,and would do much to popularize the game in my country I would imagine. Sadly, there are no real municipal courses in the Netherlands AFAIK, although my home course is very accessible from a monetary perspective. But my home course is actually really an outlier.

6. I'm self-employed, and have a range of activities, in quite a broad spectrum. Among others I'm an aborist, but on the other side of the spectrum I also work as an industrial designer.

7. That;s acually quite simple - they're my initials.

I hope to be able to participate, and not just lurk.

Of course I will always try to be civil, but if my lack of understanding of either the game, the etiquette or even the english language leads me to being impolite or acting like a jurk, I hope to be corrected....

Kind regards,

Job van Steenbergen

Hi JvS,

Welcome! 

I'm at a similar point in my golfing journey so I look forward to following your progress to see if I can pick up any tips...

All the best

Mo 

:wilson_staff_small: D200 Superlight 12° Driver & 15° 3W

:titelist-small: 818 h1 19° & 23° Hybrids

:cleveland-small: CG-16 6i-PW

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 48° GW, 54° SW, 60° LW

:odyssey-small: White Hot 2 ball Putter, 32.5" shaft, Jumbo Odyssey grip

Hey all, 

Long time follower joined the forums a few months back but haven't posted. Thought this would be an easy way to start

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 20 Years, 0 Cap

2. What do you love about golf? Too many reasons to list but if I had to choose just one,  it would be the 4 hours (plus the 19th hole) to spend shooting the breeze with friends or whomever you might get paired with. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Love the content and detailed reviews, have read the articles for a long time now. I'm sure I know other Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Calgary, Canada. Lynx Ridge Golf Club

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The worst is definitely the short season. The best, although a short season we do get a lot of sun!

•  
  • Like 4

Been on mgs for several months and finally joining the forum!

Love golf, its been my saviour. Used to

play (3hc) but gave up 20 years ago due to work, family, kids and football.

Then I had bad motorcycle accident and had brain 🧠 injury, came out of coma, retired and thought golf, golf, GOLF!

Joined my local club, Wrotham Heath, Kent England and haven’t looked back. Wife says I’m a pro 🏌️♂️ (time wise) but without the prize money!

Looking forward to chatting.

• Like 5

Hey everyone, 

Looking for anything and everything to do with golf while on C19 - Lockdown!!!!

1. Playing since I was a kid, took about a 15 year break and now making up for those lost years by playing as often as I can!! H/C currently 7.4.

2. Love everything about golf, the competition, the social aspect, the activity, fresh air, sunshine, rain, finding a pristine ProV1 in the bushes, dunking a brand new ProV1 in the water, making birdie putts, missing double bogey putts, snap hooking and power fading, absolutely everything!

3. Twitter brought me to MyGolfSpy, searching for anything to do with golf!

4. From west coast of Ireland and home club is the mighty Galway GC.

5. Best thing is the Wild Atlantic Way and the quality of courses. No worst thing about golf, ever!

6. My username is based on a friend of ours nickname and how he used to hit a tree on most holes in our old home course. We used to say, "How far is it from Jocerators Tree?" so I'm paying homage to him and the craic we have playing golf. 

• Like 2

:cobra:  Bio Cell (set to 10.5 deg), Project X, Stiff.
:cobra:  Baffler Rail F 15.5deg -  Fujikura Motore 60g Stiff

:cobra:  3/H Baffler Rail H 19 deg -  Fujikura Motore 65g Stiff

:taylormade: : 4i - 9i: Tour Preferred CB - Project X 95 6.0

:titleist: 48deg - (not sure what S it is, it's so old!!)

:taylormade: 52deg - Tour Preferred

:titleist: 54deg - SM6 (F grind)

:titleist: 60deg - SM6 (K grind)

:odyssey: White Ice - 2ball

Greetings from Copenhagen! Nice to be here

Welcome from the other side of the 'pond'. Be sure to tell us more about yourself.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

Hi everyone!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I started since 1999 when a schoolmate got me to come to the Saturday afternoon sub-junior competition at a local club. $1 to enter the comp, assistant pro managed handicaps, groups, and divided up all the "prizemoney". Was a great introduction to the game. Played off +1 but some health issues meant I had to take a long break. About a year ago got back into it seriously, got rehandicapped at 15, but have got it down to 7 since. 

2. What do you love about golf? That you can play it in different formats. I can play in a Saturday competition group with mates, I can go on a golf trip, or I can play solo on a quiet day, just me and my thoughts, and get through 36 holes in <5 hours.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? As I got back into golf there was some press about the ball test that was done by MGS. Liked the No Putts Given shows and wouldn't mind chatting about golf stuff on the forums.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Grew up playing at Wynnum GC and Howeston in the Eastern suburbs of Brisbane, Australia. Now play regularly at Werribee Park GC, west of Melbourne.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best part is the weather and access to courses pretty much all year round. The conditions change over the year so that gives a challenge to adapt. Worst thing would be the lack of member courses with reasonable annual membership fees and decent public transport connections. A lot have either one or the other.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a school teacher that does mainly Engineering and Design classes.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's a Simpsons thing with the squishie. Blueberry seemed like a good flavour.

• Like 3

:cobra-small:            Cobra F9 10.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

:srixon-small:                     H85 16° and 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

:mizuno-small:                    MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 51°, 8° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 55°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 59°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:yes-small:                         Tracy 33"

:bridgestone-small:      Tour BX

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys, I started playing golf when I was about 10 but didn't really do it in any serious way until about 10 years ago. I got fit for my first set of JPX 825 Pro which I adored and I've been a bit of a Mizuno groupie ever since. I have been a regular on the Mizuno forum over the years, but love the content MGS produces so thought I would spend some more time here. My handicap is 19, but was on its way down quickly over the winter and I hope to get below 15 by the end of the summer.

I'm a gear head in the fact that I'm an engineer by training, so love data and the technical details, but I also love the hours spent in the countryside getting frustrated by my own limitations!

I love MGS view on equipment, everytime one of my mates asks about a product I can almost always send them to MGS for the answer. You have no idea the amount of times I've picked up a partner's Chrome Soft and said "soft IS slow!"

I play at Brookmans Park GC, Hertfordshire, England. It's a private members club, owned and managed by the members. I also play a lot of simulator golf at Urban Golf in London, thats great fun with a few mates and beers.

The worst thing about golf is the lack of it right now, so frustrating!

I work in IT, for a cloud computing company.

My username is the one I've used pretty much everywhere, forever!

Edited by chrism_s
  • Like 4

:titelist-small: 917 - D2
:titelist-small: 915H - 2 Iron
:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC Fli Hi -  3 - 4 iron | KBS Tour X Stiff
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour - 5-PW | KBS Tour X Stiff
:mizuno-small: S18 49/06 54/12 58/08 | DG XP S300  KBS Tour X Stiff

:odyssey-small:O-Works Tank #7

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7

:ShotScope:

Hello everyone, just joined the forum.

I'm Francesco (Molinari 🤣) writing from Italy. I've been reading your articles for a coyple years now, and I think it was time to join the whole community.

Hooked by the game in fall 2013, been playing in my country club (Valtellina Golf Club, best grass condition ever seen) and in many clubs in whole Northern Italy in these years.

I normally play in the low 80s, my Ega Hcp is 8,7 at the moment.

This game is so special it would take hours to tell what I love about it. One thing for sure is the fact that you always play against yourself: this is special to me, in many ways.

Best thing about golf in my region: my home club is superb.

Worst thing: the closest 18 hole is 1-hour away...

For living I put braces on teen's teeth...yes I had that too, so I know what is like.

MGS is something unique, and I'm sure this community will be very interesting .

See you!

• Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small: XR16 Aldila Tour Green XS

3wood: :callaway-small: XR16 Project X LZ Handcrafted 6.5

Hybrid 19º: :callaway-small: XR OS Fubuki S

Irons 4-5: :titelist-small: 718 AP3 Project X LZ 6.0

Irons 6-P: :titelist-small: 718 AP2 Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey Design SM7, 50º 55° 60º

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X Navy

Greetings from Cape Breton, Canada. My home course is Lingan. I've been playing golf for 20 years off and on. More regularly for the past 4. Handicap is a 4. Used to be concerned about score, but after having kids, it's just nice to get out of the house for a few hours with my wife and play the sport we love. I've been on the site for years reading articles but never joined. Best things about golfing here are likely Cabot Cliffs and Link (which I have criminally yet to play) and the worst is the short season. I am a teacher so I get out as much as I can in the summer. Username is the same as on every other forum. My favourite number and initials.

• Like 2

1. Since I was a kid, 6 or 7. I learned in a pitch&putt in the West of Ireland. I played in the summers and became a member of Enniscrone, a beautiful links course in Sligo. Normal scores nowadays range from high 70s to mid-80s, my handicap is 6.3 but there will be a move to the World Handicap System here this year (I think) and from my rough calculations I'd be around a 7.

2. I love the challenge, the Sisyphusian strive for perfection. The challenge to enjoy which, unfortunately, I fail at more than the golf itself. The fresh air, the walking, the camaraderie, the banter.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? The honesty of the guys on the MyGolfSpy website, the quality of their content and the lack of bs that comes with it, just pure data. I don't know any other Spies yet.

4. I am from Dublin, Ireland and my home course is Lisheen Springs

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best is the amount of courses and a decent driving range nearby. The worst is the cost of golf. I drive past so many golf courses to get to my own which are just way too expensive, exclusive or both. Some of these courses are better than mine.

6. I work in a bank and I detest it. I dream of working in the golf industry in some capacity some day.

7. My username is my initials and then an old work nickname.

• Like 2
  • Like 4

Hi,  

My name is Stephen and I am a full time club builder / customer fitter based near North Berwick Scotland.  I have played golf for 25 years and currently am without handicap but expect it would be 9-10-11 ish.  

I love the game for all the challenges it brings.  I live in on Scotlands "Golf coast" so everyone you meet plays golf here.  

As a club builder I can bring practical knowledge to the the group.  I stock, Tour Edge, Edel, SeeMore, True Temper and Accra, so I am testing and reviewing those products pretty often.  I will be the first fitting centre with Ben Hogan components in Scotland once we get out of lockdown.

My home course is now my fitting base at Castle Park GC just inland from Haddington, about 30 mins from Edinburgh.  A rolling parkland course.

My user name is my business name.  Fit For Purpose Golf.

• Like 1

Hi All, 

Greetings from Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada.

1. How long have you been playing golf? 20 years 

2. What’s your handicap or normal score? 10 Index 

3. What do you love about golf? Great mix of social, family, business, exercise, and travel opportunities 

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Long time fan looking to participate and dive in. Do you already know any other Spies? I likely do, but I think they may be closeted for extra advantage. 

5. Where are you from? From and Currently living in Kamloops, BC. Recently moving back from Calgary, AB What is your home course? Kamloops Golf and Country Club

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing(s) are variety of courses and ability of competitors. Worst thing: Snow 

7. What do you do for a living? Civil Engineer, recently worked on the grading and drainage at Mickelson National Golf Club 

8. How’d you pick your user name? Kept it simple with my name. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
  1. I have been playing golf for more than 60 years. My current handicap is 10.8, once upon a time I was scratch.

2. Golf is not a game you can master, rather it is a game against yourself

3. I have been reading My Golf Spy for a long time and just decided that perhaps I could contribute

4. I have lived all over the world, but now reside in Spain. My Home course is Atalaya, on Costa del Sol

5. This area is nearly golf paradise, weather makes it generally playable year round.The worst thing about here is that we have a lot of tourists that do not follow basic golf etiquette, feeling that they paid their greenfees and don’t need to rake bunkers or fix pitchmarks.

6. Retired, but still do an occasional consutling job.

7. When I learned to play, I didn't have a driver - just a one iron and I kept one in my bag until about five years ago. Occasionally, I pull out my 3 wood and put it back in.

Edited by Trusty1iron
Fixed an auto correct problem

Hello Everyone,

Yelling a preemptive "FORE" all the way from Vancouver BC, Canada. Glad to join a forum where like minds are talking about the thing we all love.

I'm a 23.5 plus handicap looking to make some significant improvements. My goal is to get down to the low teens by the end of 2020. Seems a bit ambitious, but the fact is that a lot of my strokes come from OBs off the tee, so if I can reign that in, rounds in the mid 80s are well within reach.

I started playing the game back in 1998 but never took the time to really learn. Instead, I was more focuses to copying how the pros were swinging the club and looking like that. Looking to change all that now. My biggest struggle has always been the driver. I've literally been spraying it everywhere for the past 20 years. Then a funny thing happened. I learned about club face and face path, stopped trying to look like someone, and suddenly....Well' let's not lie. It's still not great. But now it's a lot more predictable as to where the ball is going to go. I'm still going OB and landing in roughs, but at least I know I should be looking for my ball on the right. LOL.

No Putts Given was actually what got me onto the website, and not the other way around. And now that I am on the forum, I am curious as to what I am going to learn next.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,
Yelling a preemptive "FORE" all the way from Vancouver BC, Canada. Glad to join a forum where like minds are talking about the thing we all love.
I'm a 23.5 plus handicap looking to make some significant improvements. My goal is to get down to the low teens by the end of 2020. Seems a bit ambitious, but the fact is that a lot of my strokes come from OBs off the tee, so if I can reign that in, rounds in the mid 80s are well within reach.
I started playing the game back in 1998 but never took the time to really learn. Instead, I was more focuses to copying how the pros were swinging the club and looking like that. Looking to change all that now. My biggest struggle has always been the driver. I've literally been spraying it everywhere for the past 20 years. Then a funny thing happened. I learned about club face and face path, stopped trying to look like someone, and suddenly....Well' let's not lie. It's still not great. But now it's a lot more predictable as to where the ball is going to go. I'm still going OB and landing in roughs, but at least I know I should be looking for my ball on the right. LOL.
No Putts Given was actually what got me onto the website, and not the other way around. And now that I am on the forum, I am curious as to what I am going to learn next.

Welcome from south of the border, glad to have you here.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

Name is Edgar.

I'm originally from Manila but I am now based in Hongkong and considered my home for more than two decades.

Have been playing golf since 2000 and currently holding a 7.5 handicap.

Cheers

Edited by golfbumHK

I play in Surrey UK. Ive played for a long while, since I was a kid. But I am really taking it serious now as I have given up other sports. I play of 13. Im looking for the community to  help  me cut through the marketing bs. Worst thing about golf in Surrey is the cost. It can attract some wallys who have dropped serious cash and so feel entitled to treat people without respect. It can be a bit of status symbol where you play, the gear you have, etc. The spirit of the game and respect to others can be lost. True of a lot of things in Surrey tbh. I still love the mental aspect of playing the course. The physical side is equal to the mental control you need. Strategy and risk vs reward are the best elements imo. Also I love bombing it miles if I can!!!

• Like 1

Hi, hello all from Indonesia

My name is Angga, glad to be the new member in this forum

1. I first played golf in July 2018 and soon became addictive 😬, i often get over 11 or 12 per round and tryin hard to reach "event bogey" per round in the next months

2. What i love most about golf is the refresh and satisfied mind especially after playing good

3. I knew MGS from instagram and following the account immediately after read some of articles in it

4. I am from Indonesia, my home course is Merapi Golf and Hyatt Golf Course, both are in Yogyakarta City

5. Best thing about golf in my region is there are several of golf course that we can playing to but the worst thing is the green fee is not cheap especially in weekend 😀

6. i working as policemen

7. I pick my username with the last two words of my original name and modified it shortly

• Like 1