TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shafts used on drivers for test?

cg3putt

What test are you referring to? Can you provide more details.

If you are referring to most wanted testing, shafts are best fits to the individual tester. MGS is limited to the shafts provided by the manufacturer. There are a variety of flexes provided and swing speed isn’t the only factor used. Prior to the test shafts and club adjustments are made to attempt to optimize launch conditions for each club for each tester

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There’s so much more to shaft fitting than just swing speed. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Keep this in mind when talking shafts. The stamped flex is at a specific tip length. You can always make it shorter or longer unless the MGR. states absolutely not (very few do). So you can make a Stiff shaft regular which could lead to a  better feel for the golfer. You can make an "A" flex stiffer. It just takes having the correct person fitting you clubs. 

Heck grip size can change torque as a large grip diameter will place a great twist on the shaft. Its Gear principle.

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2019 at 3:09 PM, 10shot said:

Keep this in mind when talking shafts. The stamped flex is at a specific tip length. You can always make it shorter or longer unless the MGR. states absolutely not (very few do). So you can make a Stiff shaft regular which could lead to a  better feel for the golfer. You can make an "A" flex stiffer. It just takes having the correct person fitting you clubs. 

Heck grip size can change torque as a large grip diameter will place a great twist on the shaft. Its Gear principle.

The stamped flex is based on what the manufacture considers the flex do be. There’s no industry standard for flexes.

Your point is correct about being able to change the flex/feel by tip trimming the shaft. Butt trimming affects seingweight more than flex 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 4/15/2019 at 11:27 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The stamped flex is based on what the manufacture considers the flex do be. There’s no industry standard for flexes.

Your point is correct about being able to change the flex/feel by tip trimming the shaft. Butt trimming affects seingweight more than flex 

Who said anything about industry standard ??????? The word I used was Manufacture. Too many beers on the 9.5 tee box 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

Does Mark Crossfield know what he's talking about when he states the shaft doesn't matter and people put too much stock into shafts (paraphrasing)? I have never been properly fit for clubs and I am curious how much the different shaft options could effect my game.

Does Mark Crossfield know what he's talking about when he states the shaft doesn't matter and people put too much stock into shafts (paraphrasing)? I have never been properly fit for clubs and I am curious how much the different shaft options could effect my game.

Lots of different opinions on this. Crossfield did a test to show the shaft didn’t matter. Go to a fitting and change shafts and you can see performance differences.

Most people play off the rack clubs and enjoy the game. Some people say they saved X number of stokes after being fit or gained some distance or decreased dispersion.

I personally think that the shaft has an influence on how well a club works for a person.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The likelihood that an off the rack club and shaft will be the best match for your swing is very low. Especially since most retailers only have like 1-2 choices of shafts on the clubs. A fitter will have ALL the shaft options for the club plus any premium shafts just in case the standard options do not work. Most likely the standard options will work these days. I went through about 6-7 different shafts during my fitting.

In addition, the shaft that works for one brand driver may not work best on a different branded driver.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I put a lot of stock in getting a shaft that fits you.  I think it's much more important than the head, and like @JonMUSC08 says, the shaft needs to fit the head with your swing and not all combinations work well.   I did a fitting with Club Champion and could see the differences between different shafts.  Once we chose the right shaft, we started looking at which heads worked best with that shaft.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

6 hours ago, cmckelvmi said:

That shaft is there to fine tune the fitting. Getting into the right head to achieve launch and spin then use the shaft to optimize the launch characteristics. 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That shaft is there to fine tune the fitting. Getting into the right head to achieve launch and spin then use the shaft to optimize the launch characteristics. 

Most fitters I have used or seen do fittings start with the shaft and then fit the head.  

I agree with this sentiment as well. The shaft ends up being a timing mechanism to return the club face to the desired impact location. A good fitter will go through head choices first to help get the desired launch conditions. They'll look at what the different heads can do for launch, spin, and ball speed and then look to the shaft for the fine tuning. Several videos out there from TXG on YouTube that really explain this well.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

20 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I'll 2nd this as well. From my understanding (im not a fitter ) is the driver head comes first and then the shaft fine tunes. Launch angle, attack angle, head weight ball speeds, position where you tend to impact etc all get accounted for and then dialing in the launch and spin factors with the correct shaft.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I'll 2nd this as well. From my understanding (im not a fitter ) is the driver head comes first and then the shaft fine tunes. Launch angle, attack angle, head weight ball speeds, position where you tend to impact etc all get accounted for and then dialing in the launch and spin factors with the correct shaft.

Then club champion does it backwards. They fit shaft and then head

True Spec had me hit a blade Srixon iron with a bunch of different shafts. Once we found the best shaft they put different heads with that shaft. I’m still not sure which way is right but that’s what True Spec does.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Chi Chi Rodriguez once commented that he'd play any head as long as he could pick which shaft he would use.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Not the club champion by me. If a fitter told me he was fitting for shaft first I'd walk right back out the door 

Went back and looked at my Club Champion fitting approach.  We started with my driver and got some numbers.  Then picked a similar head and found a shaft that worked better.  Then we tried different heads to optimize.  

This was the approach for irons and driver. 

Don’t think there’s a right or wrong way. Lots of ways to approach the game of golf.

the ping fitter that used to work this area when I first got into golf and is now lpga tour rep for pxg, the titleist fitters I’ve gone too in this area and the ping tour van guys that fit me for my g400 all started with heads. We used shafts to tweak my feel or timing.