GX-7 and other teeless drivers

tony@CIC

After being barraged with commercials on the GC with these, what's different about them from let's say a 3 wood? Is there some magic dust that they sprinkle on them to get you the 20 additional yards they claim or has marketing gotten ahead of technology. 

What say you. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Did I see MGS featured on one of the commercials?  Maybe it was the Teeless driver or something but it surprised me a little bit.  It came off like they were endorsing it and I've never seen a test posted on the site.

My bag is a revolving door!

I'll use an insurance analogy.  How many of you have insurance with Progressive, Geico, Allstate or State Farm because of brand recognition due to being barraged with TV advertisements for these brands 10,000 times a day?

Same principle with these products you see any number of former PGA Tour hacks pimping.  And if advertising didn't work, A) you wouldn't have created a thread here on MGS, and B) they would have stopped advertising a long time ago due to running out of money.

I get a Morgan & Morgan law firm commercial here locally about once every 30 seconds when I have local TV on (I spend a lot of time at my MIL's house babysitting her, so whatever mind numbingly stupid TV show she watches, is what I have to endure).  If Morgan & Morgan didn't make money and their TV ads didn't work, they'd stop doing them.

Golf Channel marketers are peddling their crap to a very niche market of viewers.  Anyone with the Golf Channel on probably plays the game at some level.  I'm no marketing genius, but I bet if I advertised 20 times a day at certain times when I knew viewership was up, I could sell you anything golf related, no matter whether or not it actually did what I said it could do.

Looking at this from another angle.  If those gimmick clubs really did work the way the ads said they did, wouldn't you think the pros or serious golfers would be using them?  I'll just leave it at that.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

58 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Looking at this from another angle.  If those gimmick clubs really did work the way the ads said they did, wouldn't you think the pros or serious golfers would be using them?  I'll just leave it at that.

The ads specifically say that the specialty clubs are not designed for elite players.

They claim to be more effective than some mainstream clubs for people with more average athletic ability or golf skills.

Pros not using them is a non-issue.  If you have a 120 mph driver swing-speed , modern low spin design might work for you.

You don't need stuff designed for 80 mph swing speeds.

The OEMs won't market certain game improvement features if they believe that most recreational players will resist the idea that they need them.  The specialty club people seek to fill that niche void. The Alien wedge actually worked for plenty of players not shy about gaming it.

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Thanks for passing this MGS test along! And as I thought no magic dust on the GX7

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

First, this is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion if MGS. I don’t work for them but can provide some insight into MGS appearing in the t-less commercials.

My guess is the company that makes the T less driver wanted to get some actual data on how their club performed. MGS did a test in which players were asked to hit their 3 woods against the T less driver. The testing was filmed. I was one of the testers even though my swing speed is probably over the top end of what would be the recommended swing speed. We hit shots outdoors from fairways, divots, and sand traps. I also hit out I thick rough to do some of my own analysis. We also tested from a tee at MGS labs.

From my observations and my own results the club works as designed and is more reliable than a 3 wood. The t-less driver is designed to impart more backspin providing a higher straighter ball flight than most players current 3 woods. The testers I observed gained distance and had better dispersion. They do not fix bad swings! Even for me the ball launched higher and spun more. This can be a blessing or a curse. For slower swing speeds spin will keep the ball in the air longer for more distance. For higher swing speeds, the ball may balloon and result in less distance.

For me I liked the ball flight. I was hitting a fade with my 3 wood but higher straighter shots with the t-less. I have much better performance from divots and play from rough was quite good. Essentially i get more consistent performance and would use the club in places I would never consider using a 3 wood. To get the best performance you need to play the club more like a 7 iron and not a fairway wood.

These infomercial clubs do work for the player they are targeted towards.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Heck, Mike Golic loves his so that is good enough for me :)

Then again I got drunk and bought a Hammer driver of eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

First, this is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion if MGS. I don’t work for them but can provide some insight into MGS appearing in the t-less commercials.

My guess is the company that makes the T less driver wanted to get some actual data on how their club performed. MGS did a test in which players were asked to hit their 3 woods against the T less driver. The testing was filmed. I was one of the testers even though my swing speed is probably over the top end of what would be the recommended swing speed. We hit shots outdoors from fairways, divots, and sand traps. I also hit out I thick rough to do some of my own analysis. We also tested from a tee at MGS labs.

From my observations and my own results the club works as designed and is more reliable than a 3 wood. The t-less driver is designed to impart more backspin providing a higher straighter ball flight than most players current 3 woods. The testers I observed gained distance and had better dispersion. They do not fix bad swings! Even for me the ball launched higher and spun more. This can be a blessing or a curse. For slower swing speeds spin will keep the ball in the air longer for more distance. For higher swing speeds, the ball may balloon and result in less distance.

For me I liked the ball flight. I was hitting a fade with my 3 wood but higher straighter shots with the t-less. I have much better performance from divots and play from rough was quite good. Essentially i get more consistent performance and would use the club in places I would never consider using a 3 wood. To get the best performance you need to play the club more like a 7 iron and not a fairway wood.

These infomercial clubs do work for the player they are targeted towards.

Thanks that was a great review!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

We got pared with a guy sometime back who had one. he was probably in his mid 30s pretty decent player. He had one in his bag said a friend of his bought it and wanted him to try it. He had hit it on the range a couple of times and liked it ok for what he wanted it for. One short par 4 is a layup hole because of a creek. On that hole in the fall and winter I hit a 4 iron summer 5 iron. He hit it and did the 3 finger thing and on target about 190 yards or so. Told us if he really cranked it he could get 210 or so but because it went so high for him.

Basically that club is engineered with a lot of weight low and to the back with a softer tipped graphite shaft. Basically me or anyone who builds clubs can replicate it with any 3 wood of 13 to 15 degrees and a soft tipped light graphite shaft. Shaft and weight placement are the keys here. But hey engineering and marketing 101 at it's finest.

I have not seen another in person and trust me we have some retirees around here that will buy anything they see on TV if they think it will help their game. In the last few years I have seen quite a few of the funky big soled wedges here.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 weeks later...

When I returned to golf after 2+ decades away and having recovered from foot surgery that left me with <10 toes and iffy balance, I was granted a GX-7 as a gift. My swing speed and ball speed were low at that time and I had only played a true persimmon driver before that time.

I got quite adept with it off of a tee and I loved the height and spin it gave me from the start.  At this time, as well, I was rebuilding my set of weapons almost from scratch.  I had never played a hybrid and the graphite senior flex staffs on my current clubs did not exist.

I have since moved onto using a Ping G5, senior flex, as my driver and I am able to replicate what I got, and more, from the GX-7.  I tend to consider the GX-7 now as a 3 wood and play it as such. I am taking a serious look at the new G410 Plus driver.

Given my physical condition and loss of years playing, it is/was a great club to get me back into the game and feeling success.  As such it is a useful item.  I never have seen it advertised as anything near a pro style club, but heck my irons are GI clubs as well (GMax red, senior flex).

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• 1 year later...
I always like to contact the firm that advertises the golf clubs and in the case of the teeless golf club - longer than your driver- hit it like a 3 wood, there email address they provide is bogus.  Tells me a lot about their company.  

Don’t know who you tried to contact or what address you used. The teeless driver and the backing was legitimate. I say was because it may have changed hands since my interaction a few years ago. It is possible that the email on the site was incorrect or changed; people make mistakes; or you typed the wrong address.

While not ideal, that type of mistake happens and yes leaves a negative perception but if you are interested in a product and the general feedback is good I don’t see an issue.

As your first post, I would have hoped for more info about you and not just a bashing of a company.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Color me interested, as a person who really struggles with a driver (in the past 5 years or so, think of a Charles Barkley mental thing going on) I would love to find one used and give it a try. I do tend to hit the ground first a lot, so that appeals to me as well.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I find myself about to pull the trigger on the (T) Less Driver maybe once a day but haven't yet. I really struggle with my driver.

Are there any other 3-woods out there that may be shaped the same with the idea of the cutting through the turf, gliding, etc and "easier" to hit out of the fairway as well as the tee box. I would to find something to hit before I buy.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

3 hours ago, JohnBarry said:

I find myself about to pull the trigger on the (T) Less Driver maybe once a day but haven't yet. I really struggle with my driver.

Are there any other 3-woods out there that may be shaped the same with the idea of the cutting through the turf, gliding, etc and "easier" to hit out of the fairway as well as the tee box. I would to find something to hit before I buy.

Having hit the TLess driver,  I can tell you there is nothing in the big OEM market that is similar.   It is a higher spin high launching club; perfect for a player looking to get the ball into the air.   Works in fairway, rough, and bunkers.