Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
tony@CIC

GX-7 and other teeless drivers

After being barraged with commercials on the GC with these, what's different about them from let's say a 3 wood? Is there some magic dust that they sprinkle on them to get you the 20 additional yards they claim or has marketing gotten ahead of technology. 

What say you. 

Did I see MGS featured on one of the commercials?  Maybe it was the Teeless driver or something but it surprised me a little bit.  It came off like they were endorsing it and I've never seen a test posted on the site.

I'll use an insurance analogy.  How many of you have insurance with Progressive, Geico, Allstate or State Farm because of brand recognition due to being barraged with TV advertisements for these brands 10,000 times a day?

Same principle with these products you see any number of former PGA Tour hacks pimping.  And if advertising didn't work, A) you wouldn't have created a thread here on MGS, and B) they would have stopped advertising a long time ago due to running out of money.

I get a Morgan & Morgan law firm commercial here locally about once every 30 seconds when I have local TV on (I spend a lot of time at my MIL's house babysitting her, so whatever mind numbingly stupid TV show she watches, is what I have to endure).  If Morgan & Morgan didn't make money and their TV ads didn't work, they'd stop doing them.

Golf Channel marketers are peddling their crap to a very niche market of viewers.  Anyone with the Golf Channel on probably plays the game at some level.  I'm no marketing genius, but I bet if I advertised 20 times a day at certain times when I knew viewership was up, I could sell you anything golf related, no matter whether or not it actually did what I said it could do.

Looking at this from another angle.  If those gimmick clubs really did work the way the ads said they did, wouldn't you think the pros or serious golfers would be using them?  I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Looking at this from another angle.  If those gimmick clubs really did work the way the ads said they did, wouldn't you think the pros or serious golfers would be using them?  I'll just leave it at that.

The ads specifically say that the specialty clubs are not designed for elite players.

They claim to be more effective than some mainstream clubs for people with more average athletic ability or golf skills.

Pros not using them is a non-issue.  If you have a 120 mph driver swing-speed , modern low spin design might work for you.

You don't need stuff designed for 80 mph swing speeds.

The OEMs won't market certain game improvement features if they believe that most recreational players will resist the idea that they need them.  The specialty club people seek to fill that niche void. The Alien wedge actually worked for plenty of players not shy about gaming it.

• Like 1

First, this is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion if MGS. I don’t work for them but can provide some insight into MGS appearing in the t-less commercials.

My guess is the company that makes the T less driver wanted to get some actual data on how their club performed. MGS did a test in which players were asked to hit their 3 woods against the T less driver. The testing was filmed. I was one of the testers even though my swing speed is probably over the top end of what would be the recommended swing speed. We hit shots outdoors from fairways, divots, and sand traps. I also hit out I thick rough to do some of my own analysis. We also tested from a tee at MGS labs.

From my observations and my own results the club works as designed and is more reliable than a 3 wood. The t-less driver is designed to impart more backspin providing a higher straighter ball flight than most players current 3 woods. The testers I observed gained distance and had better dispersion. They do not fix bad swings! Even for me the ball launched higher and spun more. This can be a blessing or a curse. For slower swing speeds spin will keep the ball in the air longer for more distance. For higher swing speeds, the ball may balloon and result in less distance.

For me I liked the ball flight. I was hitting a fade with my 3 wood but higher straighter shots with the t-less. I have much better performance from divots and play from rough was quite good. Essentially i get more consistent performance and would use the club in places I would never consider using a 3 wood. To get the best performance you need to play the club more like a 7 iron and not a fairway wood.

These infomercial clubs do work for the player they are targeted towards.

• Like 5