bens197

Kuchar is embarrassingly cheap

9 minutes ago, GSwag said:

I just post here what I told Katrek & Maggines on their Sirius radio show on the air.  The caddie doesn't speak English, and Kuchar doesn't speak Spanish, so I am gonna assume all the caddie was doing was carrying a bag for the week and smiling and saying, "Muy bien," everytime Kuchar drained a putt.

From my perspective, if Kuchar wants to pay me $5k a week, plus expenses to carry his golf bag on a full time basis, I'm your man.  I'll take that sort of money on every day ending in Y and twice on Sundays.

The fact that Kuchar won the tournament and took home over $1 million is irrelevant to me.  Frankly, no matter how good a caddie I think I am, I seriously doubt I am worth $5k on any week, let alone carrying a golf bag.

More context for you.  Depending on who you ask, $5k American dollars is more money then a LOT of Mexicans make in a single year.  Frankly, this caddie won the lottery just with the $5k alone.  Anything else is, well, see this however you wish.

One final note on this.  The story I am hearing this from was written by Michael Bamberger.  That's the same journalist that called a penalty on Michelle Wie for a bad drop and had her DQ'd from a tournament many years ago.  Bamberger is a POS in my book, if for no other reason then what he did to Wie.  Bamberger is always trying to create controversy and loves being in the center of it.  Do with that information what you wish.

The caddie speaks some english.  But yeah, he only could say muy bien and then do the mexican hat dance after Kuch made a putt.

Par for the course for you.

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I’m glad I don’t work for a lot of the people commenting here.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Judging people on how they would act in this situation isn’t really a good look. Everyone is commenting on the situation and not what they would do.

im pretty sure everyone here is saying they would honor the agreement made with tha caddie which is what it appears to be what Kuchar did.  Should it have been more? Maybe but no one here knows what the customary fee plus tip/winnings is for the resort. 2) what was actually said and/or agreed upon.

• Like 2

It is strange to me that this is still a story or ever was for that matter. I have no idea which side is telling the truth or if they are both manipulating it for their cause.

Now if it were me and I had just won a million dollars I would have definitely tipped 50G.

That said, in my world I don't believe it is any of my concern what kuchar or anybody else does with their money. Just like it is nobody else business what I do with mine(although my wife would disagree).

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 6

My view on most situations that have a contentious or "hot" take is that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Do I think that Kuchar should have paid more than $5k because he won? Yes.

Do I think that the caddie was wrong to try and renegotiate for more than the agreed upon amount? Yes.

Do I think that this situation clearly illustrates everything about who Kuchar and El Tucan are as people? No.

It's not the greatest of looks in a PR sense for Kuchar, but he did stick to his word on the agreed upon price. I would be willing to work for someone that sticks to their word when things are going well and trust they would stick to their word when things aren't going well.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, GB13 said:

I think there is a large difference between what most of us would do and what is fair. I, along with most of us here, would offer the caddie additional money, maybe not 10% but still some extra money. Conversely, Kuchar's handling of the situation WAS fair. They had an agreed upon price before the tournament started and he kept that agreement. He didn't slight the caddie out of any money or wiggle out of paying him through a loophole. Kuchar did nothing wrong, he even offered the caddie additional money, something he didn't have to do. 

Again, while we might handle it differently, Kuch did nothing wrong. An agreement is an agreement. You can't retroactively change the agreement after the fact. 

Perfect!

• Like 1

There was an agreement in place deal with it. If it comes out he was told 50k then that’s different. Me personally would have gave him more with a win. No question but having a deal in place doesn’t mean you have to give him more. You give what your obligated to 

I will preface this by stating that I didn't click the article.  But I think I can get the gist of it from the comments.

Is this what we call journalism these days?  I couldn't care less what the financial arrangements are between a pro and his caddy.  I don't care if Bryson DeChambeau got along with his mother-in-law at Thanksgiving dinner.  I watch these guys to enjoy some good golf, not because they are auditioning to be my next pastor.  None of these guys are perfect (I think that's only been done once), so I really don't understand the need to try and dig up this kind of dirt to make a story out of it.  Is it just the clicks?  

I don't know what is commonly done in deals with local caddies.  From what I have heard, it depends on what side you are on.  It's either customary to set a fee which is usually much lower than for a guy that is on your bag week after week, or you pay them the same as the guy traveling with you every week because that's what's right.

It sure seems like it's easy to spend someone else's money.  I would have given the guy half for pulling off the impossible and dragging me back into the win column (as I look down my nose at the measly five percenters).

I caught some of the discussions and Katrek and Maginnis.  It was pretty clear what side Maginnis was on.  He was putting words in Kuchar's mouth, claiming they were from one of these articles.  Katrek had to go back and tell him that was no where to be found.  It is interesting to hear these guys make stuff up in their heads to convince themselves that they are right.

What would I have really done?  I have no idea.  I have never even sniffed 1.2 million.  But I am certain that I'm not going to tell you millionaires out there what is right for you to do with your money as I ponder what your giant stacks of cash smell like.

• Like 4

As far as I can tell, there is no proof of the initial deal.

The caddie says it's 50K, Kuch says it's 3K + bonus, so it's not fair to say the guy is pushing his luck by wanting more. What if he really was promised 50K from the beginning but none of us knows about it?

Now personally, if I had made that purse, I definitely would have given him 50K.

But this is like tipping culture. In the US you guys are used to tipping 20-30% for something that's supposed to be your job. In Europe, some people will give you 5-10% while others believe no tip necessary, that's what you are getting paid for. In Asia, even though they make less, for them going the extra mile is included and don't expect a tip.

There is no right or wrong... 

• Like 4

Judging people on how they would act in this situation isn’t really a good look. Everyone is commenting on the situation and not what they would do.

im pretty sure everyone here is saying they would honor the agreement made with tha caddie which is what it appears to be what Kuchar did.  Should it have been more? Maybe but no one here knows what the customary fee plus tip/winnings is for the resort. 2) what was actually said and/or agreed upon.

The stories between both parties lack detail of any compensation.

I won’t budge from my statement despite many here who believe the contrary.

This action by Kuchar is a perfect illustration of our Nation and it’s selfish ways.

“A Man’s management of his own purse speaks volumes about character.”

— Thomas Jefferson

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sketchers drops his sponsorship.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Cheap people are the absolute worst kind of people.

Interesting discussion on but sides, but amen to this statement above. There’s a difference between poor and cheap. Cheap people are selfish assholes.

The WGC in Mexico City next week is going to be interesting.  Kuch will likely get a reception to the likes of which he isn't accustomed.  Serious question, will he need added security and protection?  

Only 2 know what was really said and both got a good payday for 4 days of work imo.
History of kuch I tend to lean towards his version of the events.
Not sure if it's customary for these deals to be written or just a handshake.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slap said:

Interesting discussion on but sides, but amen to this statement above. There’s a difference between poor and cheap. Cheap people are selfish assholes.

So with that in mind, just think about all of the pro golfers and celebrities who have had dinner with Tiger Woods, and they all say the same thing, Tiger never picked up the check.

Sure, this is probably a threadjack, but I'm always amazed at the double standard when it comes to everyone else, and then Tiger Woods.  Here we are ripping on Kuchar for this, and if Tiger had done something similar we'd be doing nothing but talking about how dominant he was in his win and the caddie issue wouldn't even have come up.

In my mind, if you think Kuchar is "cheap" and a "selfish *******" based on nothing more than a "news" story by a reporter who is notorious for blowing up the internet with gossip and National Enquirer-esque BS garbage, then the issue here isn't with Kuchar or anything he has done, or hasn't done.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The WGC in Mexico City next week is going to be interesting.  Kuch will likely get a reception to the likes of which he isn't accustomed.  Serious question, will he need added security and protection?  

What Bamberger reported in American news sites probably won't even be known in Mexico.  Other than word of mouth, if the caddie here in question said anything within his sphere of influence.

Also consider outside influences as well.  Personally speaking, I wouldn't even be interested in traveling to Mexico, even if the trip was free, or if you paid me to go there.  The security risk is way too high for me.  All you have to do is your own US State Department google search to find this  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

What's funny to me is that a lot of players bailed on Brazil for the Olympics for whatever tripe excuse was politically correct at the time, but I have yet to hear one player say they weren't traveling to Mexico for any reason whatsoever.  I mean, we essentially have the same security risk in Brazil as we do to Mexico, or any other number of Latin American countries.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/Intercountry-Adoption/Intercountry-Adoption-Country-Information/Brazil.html

But as always, follow the money.  Brazil came with no purse and no appearance fee.  Mexico is free money to anyone that shows up and finishes the tournament.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, GSwag said:

So with that in mind, just think about all of the pro golfers and celebrities who have had dinner with Tiger Woods, and they all say the same thing, Tiger never picked up the check.

Sure, this is probably a threadjack, but I'm always amazed at the double standard when it comes to everyone else, and then Tiger Woods.  Here we are ripping on Kuchar for this, and if Tiger had done something similar we'd be doing nothing but talking about how dominant he was in his win and the caddie issue wouldn't even have come up.

In my mind, if you think Kuchar is "cheap" and a "selfish *******" based on nothing more than a "news" story by a reporter who is notorious for blowing up the internet with gossip and National Enquirer-esque BS garbage, then the issue here isn't with Kuchar or anything he has done, or hasn't done.

So wait - you are defending Kuchar and are mad at people for going after him based on nothing more than a "news" story, yet you are doing the exact same crap with Tiger Woods.

Talk about double standards

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GSwag said:

To be fair, this story began with a Tour player putting Kuchar's behavior on blast on social media, not anything from a reporter.  

I think Kuchar is cheap because he paid a caddie 5k after winning 1.296 million dollars.

Only 2 know what was really said and both got a good payday for 4 days of work imo.
History of kuch I tend to lean towards his version of the events.
Not sure if it's customary for these deals to be written or just a handshake.

Traditionally it is handshake and the work is for the week not just tournament days.

From my discussions with caddies it is usually a flat fee for Monday/Tuesday through Friday. Caddies work during the practice rounds and even scout the course verifying yardage books and learning greens. Then there is a make the cut bonus which could be a percentage or agreed amount based on the negotiation between player and caddie.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

So wait - you are defending Kuchar and are mad at people for going after him based on nothing more than a "news" story, yet you are doing the exact same crap with Tiger Woods.

Talk about double standards

I am not defending Kuchar, nor am I mad at anyone for this, but was merely pointing out an obvious double standard (in my mind).  Whether anyone thinks Kuchar is cheap because of this one caddie instance, but we have multiple reports of Tiger never picking up a check, but no one ever blew up the internet for him doing that.  That's where I am going with this.  And you can pick any other top player and situation like this.

Honestly, I'd like to know how Tom Gillis found out about this in the first place, and what was his motivation for going after Kuchar?  And all my life growing up I kept hearing and being shamed by people who told me, "no one likes a tattle tale."

I think Kuchar is cheap because he paid a caddie 5k after winning 1.296 million dollars.

As I read the story, he was paid $5k on site and would send another $10k. Caddie refuses the $10k wanting upward of $130k or the 10% number that keeps being thrown around. Have also heard $50k.
If the caddie just carried the clubs and raked bunkers as had been reported the flat fee plus 1% bonus seems pretty fair.
  • Like 1