Ronoc

Travel Bag Suggestions (and more)

You can't go wrong with Club Glove for sure.  One other nice thing about CG is that their warranty is fantastic!  I've sent my bag back twice, and they are really good with repair & return.

• Like 3

Looks like the OP found a solution so hopefully I'm not thread-jacking. However, I find myself in a similar dilemma. I will be traveling for work this summer and want to take my clubs with me so I can play golf when time allows. Ship sticks is an option, but it does appear it would be cheaper and easier for me to get a travel case. 

I've  already started planning my trips and it looks like American Airlines will be the primary airline used. They require a hard case to be used if you want them to insure the clubs in case of damage (which I do).

What suggestions do you guys have for a hard-sided case? I saw a couple options on RBG that looked decent, but I really don't know much other than I still want/need to purchase a stiff arm as well.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 9:44 AM, TR1PTIK said:

Looks like the OP found a solution so hopefully I'm not thread-jacking. However, I find myself in a similar dilemma. I will be traveling for work this summer and want to take my clubs with me so I can play golf when time allows. Ship sticks is an option, but it does appear it would be cheaper and easier for me to get a travel case. 

I've  already started planning my trips and it looks like American Airlines will be the primary airline used. They require a hard case to be used if you want them to insure the clubs in case of damage (which I do).

What suggestions do you guys have for a hard-sided case? I saw a couple options on RBG that looked decent, but I really don't know much other than I still want/need to purchase a stiff arm as well.

Personally I would avoid a hard case at all cost. Insurance be damned.  They are a royal pain in the A$$ in rental cars unless you have a Chevy Suburban like SUV.  

Also they take up a lot more storage room at home ALL YEAR.   The others fold up nicely for storage. 

Really any of the quality club glove or sun mountain bags will protect them fine. Almost 20 years traveling with them and not one issue. 

For added piece of mind take your driver and three wood heads off and store them wrapped in a towel in the bag pocket. 

Pro tip: take a picture of the hosel settings before you do so you'll remember what you had it set on. 

Just my personal thoughts.  But to me there is one reason to ever have to get a hard case.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Personally I would avoid a hard case at all cost. Insurance be damned.  They are a royal pain in the A$$ in rental cars unless you have a Chevy Suburban like SUV.  

Also they take up a lot more storage room at home ALL YEAR.   The others fold up nicely for storage. 

Really any of the quality club glove or sun mountain bags will protect them fine. Almost 20 years traveling with them and not one issue. 

For added piece of mind take your driver and three wood heads off and store them wrapped in a towel in the bag pocket. 

Pro tip: take a picture of the hosel settings before you do so you'll remember what you had it set on. 

Just my personal thoughts.  But to me there is one reason to ever have to get a hard case.  

Thanks for the advice. After doing a little more research and cost analysis, I think I've settled on just using Ship Sticks. They appear to have a ton of great reviews and the process seems like it couldn't be much easier or cost effective for my particular need. If I do find that I have to start traveling more frequently or to destinations further away, I will certainly consider the recommendations you've mentioned above. 

• Like 1

Totally agree with the comments about storage. I think this is even more of a difference if you are in a hotel room for a few days and keep your clubs with you. I was able to unpack my bag and fold it in half and stuff it out of sight for a few days.

I just got back from my first trip using my Club Glove bag and was VERY happy with my choice. I flew Southwest and was not charged for the bag. They did make a comment (only the flight leaving) about not being insured since it was a soft case. I took off the heads to my driver and 3/4 wood a suggested and used a Stiff Arm for extra protection.

Plenty of space to put my shoes in the side pocket and stuff in some extra towels, rain jacket, and plenty of balls. Put some laundry in it for the trip home.

Can’t recommend this bag enough!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ronoc said:

Totally agree with the comments about storage. I think this is even more of a difference if you are in a hotel room for a few days and keep your clubs with you. I was able to unpack my bag and fold it in half and stuff it out of sight for a few days.

I just got back from my first trip using my Club Glove bag and was VERY happy with my choice. I flew Southwest and was not charged for the bag. They did make a comment (only the flight leaving) about not being insured since it was a soft case. I took off the heads to my driver and 3/4 wood a suggested and used a Stiff Arm for extra protection.

Plenty of space to put my shoes in the side pocket and stuff in some extra towels, rain jacket, and plenty of balls. Put some laundry in it for the trip home.

Can’t recommend this bag enough!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Almost word for word what I do with mine.  They did make a nice dirty laundry bag don't they.  Ha

6 hours ago, Ronoc said:

6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Almost word for word what I do with mine.  They did make a nice dirty laundry bag don't they.  Ha

+1 on a soft bag for storage and transport.

I also wrap laundry around the heads of the irons and top of the shafts, interweaving towels etc snake like. It ensures WHEN a baggage guy stands on the soft case the shafts and heads dont get damaged. Def take the driver head off and wrap well as CG2 says.