KAB2313

Launch Monitors

Hmm looks like MGS needs to do a review.

Arccos gives me my iron distances worked out from my on course data, so what I'm looking for is to get consistency on the range.

I'm looking to buy a launch monitor and going through the option for me sub £500 is my limit so Sky Trak is out this probably leads me to one of 3 or 4 options.

1. Mevo

2. SC200 or SC300

3. Gramin G80

My initial thoughts are for best functionality and stats including camera then Mevo is the best but I like the G80 mainly due to the versatility i.e it has an on course GPS as well.  I'm teched out at the moment on the course. I have Arccos 360, Skycaddie Touch and a Nikon cool shot. I've just sold my Shot Scope V2 but still have a Bushnell Ion watch and an old Garmin G10. Buying the G80 will let me move some of the other stuff on.

All input gratefully received.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've used my Mevo for about a year. Very pleased with it. Use it for club yardage and monitor spin. Not familiar with the G80.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Andy Capp said:

is there a budget monitor that measure angle of attack ? 

I don't think so. I think your best bet would be to find a place with a GC2 or Quad with HMT and rent it for an hour to see your AOA on each club. AOA is a fairly static measurement that won't change too much from day to day, so getting a measurement every now and then will give you a good way to track improvment/performance. 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GB13 said:

I don't think so. I think you're best bet would be to find a place with a GC2 or Quad with HMT and rent it for an hour to see your AOA on each club. AOA is a fairly static measurement that won't change too much from day to day, so getting a measurement every now and then will give you a good way to track improvment/performance. 

Thank you 

• Like 2

Swingbyte II comes to mind. I use it in conjunction with my Mevo.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Has anyone tried using those silver sharpies and put a dot on the ball instead of the sticker? I'm curious if that would help the sticker situation on the MEVO

Also, I heard they added spin to the app on the SC300. But I need the Android capability. Waiting on that currently. I like the ability to just use the monitor if I want to and not rely on the app. So the SC300 currently has my slight advantage. But I've been recording my swing so it's neat to have that with the MEVO. 

Primarily looking for gapping distances and practicing shots. Even if it's consistently short 5-10 yards. I can adapt that to the course. I'd occasionally use it on the course I think. Especially when I have the distance dialed in with the range finder. 

On 4/22/2019 at 5:56 AM, Alf. S said:

Arccos gives me my iron distances worked out from my on course data, so what I'm looking for is to get consistency on the range.

I'm looking to buy a launch monitor and going through the option for me sub £500 is my limit so Sky Trak is out this probably leads me to one of 3 or 4 options.

1. Mevo

2. SC200 or SC300

3. Gramin G80

My initial thoughts are for best functionality and stats including camera then Mevo is the best but I like the G80 mainly due to the versatility i.e it has an on course GPS as well.  I'm teched out at the moment on the course. I have Arccos 360, Skycaddie Touch and a Nikon cool shot. I've just sold my Shot Scope V2 but still have a Bushnell Ion watch and an old Garmin G10. Buying the G80 will let me move some of the other stuff on.

One thing to consider with arccos is you get total distance and not carry distance. Total distance is going to vary from course to course and course/environmental conditions.

range balls aren’t going to give you near the consistency or performance as the balls you will use on the course.

what consistency issues on the range are you trying to accomplish and how does that differ from what you see on the course?

what/how are you planning to use a launch monitor 

On 4/22/2019 at 5:56 AM, Alf. S said:

1. Mevo

2. SC200 or SC300

3. Gramin G80

Not sure about your #1 and 3, but on the SC200, I would think it's primary utilization is on the range vs. course.  I have a SC200 and on a rare occasion I use it on the course when no one is behind me. The SC200 is a basic launch monitor that measures: SS, Ball Speed and Smash factor only. The 300 has a couple of additional measurement such as launch angle. The 300 also has a  download feature to capture the data. I use the 200 exclusively as a trend indicator for my SS. 

If you're looking for a basic LM for range use vs. on course data you should also consider the ES-14. 

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

One thing to consider with arccos is you get total distance and not carry distance. Total distance is going to vary from course to course and course/environmental conditions.

range balls aren’t going to give you near the consistency or performance as the balls you will use on the course.

what consistency issues on the range are you trying to accomplish and how does that differ from what you see on the course?

what/how are you planning to use a launch monitor 

Mainly on the range, I'm looking to try and get more consistency in my swing and increase my swing speed. And for my wedges specifically hone my carry distance.

3 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Mainly on the range, I'm looking to try and get more consistency in my swing and increase my swing speed. And for my wedges specifically hone my carry distance.

A launch monitor isn’t going to help you with increasing swing speed. 

For wedges an sc100 or sc200 will do what you need and can be had for cheap. Again though taking what you see from distances, flight and such on the range is going to be different than what you see on the course because spin, launch and type of ball is going to be different 

My primary use of the SC 200 is as a trend indicator for swing speed and smash factor vs distance. It's the only way I can quantify whether my SS is improving. As to distance, since I use it primary on the range with range balls, it's less important to me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

On 3/1/2019 at 5:44 PM, cnosil said:

There were some questions on the SC300.  While I was doing most wanted testing Sam happened to be looking at the SC300.  Set it up while I was hitting 7 irons so we did some quick comparisons to the GC Quad.   hit about a dozen shots and results were generally 5-10 yards short of what the GC Quad was showing and height was off as well.   I am sure more testing would be needed,  but what I quickly saw wasn't that inspiring.  

When you were comparing it to the quad, were you hitting it short distances?  Into a net or screen a short distance?  I'd love to find someone in the Phx area with a GC quad for rent, but so far I can't find anyone that even has one.  

When you were comparing it to the quad, were you hitting it short distances?  Into a net or screen a short distance?  I'd love to find someone in the Phx area with a GC quad for rent, but so far I can't find anyone that even has one.  

I was hitting 7 irons which depending on the club is about 170. The screen at the MGS testing facility is about 12-15 feet in front of where we hit.
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 7:14 PM, tony@CIC said:

The 200 works for me, however, keep in mind that I use it more as a 'trend indicator' rather than a more expensive LM that would be used in a fitting.

My primary use is around swing speed, ball speed and smash factor. What I'm looking for in my practice sessions is the level of improvement. Using SS as an example if I start out at 76 and end up at 84 that's important for me to know as it shows progress. Is the 76 really 79 or 80 yeah that would be nice to know but less important for me. Keep in mind I'm looking for progress during a range session only.

I don't pay attention to carry or total distance on the 200 only because the balls at the driving range are pretty dead and nothing like the ones I game. However, one of the forum members suggested using it on the course (when no one is behind you) and I plan to do that. We have a couple of short par 3's and it'll be an interesting comparison to see 'total distance' on the 200 vs. actual distance. Unfortunately this exercise will have to wait until Ohio thaws out.

Would I like one with all the bells and whistles of course - but I do have to work within a budget and as I said before the 200 fits an immediate need.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Have you tried any on course testing yet? 

Just now, ejcrossl said:

Have you tried any on course testing yet? 

Not yet. I'm waiting for a new battery tray for the remote. Somehow i lost mine. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I was hitting 7 irons which depending on the club is about 170. The screen at the MGS testing facility is about 12-15 feet in front of where we hit.

Thanks, based on their recommendations, that should be far enough away for a good measurement.  

There just isn’t anything very accurate, yet, on the market that is sub $500. MGS just did a quick video on the G80 comparing numbers to GC quad, and about the only number that was close was ball speed. On a 7 iron, the distance difference was 8 yards. That’s a LOT. If distance isn’t accurate, what good is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Has anyone tried the Rapsodo R-Motion simulator??? Saw an early comment mentioning it but only one person is semi-familiar with it. Is it accurate with ball data? Looks like a cheaper simulator if you cant buy a SkyTrak. If the data is accurate then could be a great alternative to and starter home simulator!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VD2W9M/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B075VD2W9M&pd_rd_w=spg0R&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=FNmDI&pf_rd_r=D9G2DCP26JD7SC6YVNMF&pd_rd_r=57c6a748-83a5-11e9-89d0-b7902472ba38

Posted (edited)

This is a great discussion I have been debating on pulling the trigger on a launch monitor as well its unfortunate to hear that the SC200 has that much of a distance discrepancy. I have seen some reviews that warn about really short wedges & very high swing speeds but I was hoping i could use this to dial in distances & understand speeds.

I did find a MGS article from a few years back on the SC200 https://mygolfspy.com/voice-caddie-sc200-review/

Seems like they through it was accurate enough, they warn about setting correct lofts in the SC200.

Edited by pozzit