Sign in to follow this  
FrogginBullfish

2019 Most Wanted Driver PXG 0811X/0811XF

With the 2019 Most Wanted Driver results coming in later this month, part of me wants PXG to take the top spots because I am firm believer in what they're doing, while the rest of me wants PXG to take the top spots because the comment section would be hilarious.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

P.S. What driver do you think will take the top spot? I think it'll likely be the F9 Speedback.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I think it would be fun to see PXG finish squarely in the middle of the pack. However your remark about the comments section has me rethinking that opinion. :)

I think it will be Ping or Callaway in the top spot. If the G410 outdid Sam’s G400 as it did in his brief demo it could be the next beast.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

No idea about the winner for each swing speed, but TXG videos show that the F9 and Mizuno ST-190 could be early front-runners for the high swing speed group. A buddy that works at Edwin Watts in New Orleans said that when folks come-in to test drivers, the Epic Flash has finished last in most instances, so I’m not really sure the story there is really about results over marketing, but it will be interesting to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

It doesn’t matter to me who wins and thus yrar there are lots of good drivers which the last 3-4 years has been the case.  

No doubt the comment section will be full of entertainment and it’s pretty much the same type of comments about pxg anywhere one looks. I don’t get the pxg “hate” that is out there and I’ve seen guys who once they hit the clubs do a 180 with their opinion.  

• Like 2

I'm really hoping the G410 is top dog because it MAY make my decision a whole lot easier.

• Like 3

It'll be interesting to see which one comes out on top. I believe that it'll be either the Cobra F9 or the Ping G410. If the 410 is anything like the 400 I just got, it's going to be a beast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Should be good this year. I've been avoiding getting into the bay to try anything because I know it will only make me want a new one more... My vote will likely go with f9. 

• Like 3

I think the f9 will be the top dog. All the oem's are making great stuff but I am curious if the Cortex will be involved and where it will rank. Something about that driver has my curiosity peaked. Too bad there isn't any place around me to try it.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

No idea about the winner for each swing speed, but TXG videos show that the F9 and Mizuno ST-190 could be early front-runners for the high swing speed group. A buddy that works at Edwin Watts in New Orleans said that when folks come-in to test drivers, the Epic Flash has finished last in most instances, so I’m not really sure the story there is really about results over marketing, but it will be interesting to see.

Phil's not exactly the baseline in driver performance but when he ditched Epic Flash after a week to go back to Rogue, it kinda tells a story there. It'll sell well I'm sure, and Golf Digest has it as their #1 in the hot list. Flash face is an interesting story too.

On TXG, still waiting on G410, TM, PXG, but Matty's been getting crazy good numbers from the F9 and Mizzy.

I'm anxious to see which one wins.  But pretty sure nmbers 1 through 5 will most likely see a place in my bag at some point

I’ve hit them all. At 105 mph average ss there was not much separation. The TS3 performance is great for me. I swung the F9 a couple mph faster, but the spin was a bit higher so the yardages were basically the same. The PXG is fantastic. I would have bought it if I didn’t already have the Titleist. Long story, but there are so many good to great options out there that you would be hard pressed to go wrong with anything.

• Like 5

I'm anxious to see which one wins.  But pretty sure nmbers 1 through 5 will most likely see a place in my bag at some point
There is a good chance? I'd put money on it.. lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Phil's not exactly the baseline in driver performance but when he ditched Epic Flash after a week to go back to Rogue, it kinda tells a story there. It'll sell well I'm sure, and Golf Digest has it as their #1 in the hot list. Flash face is an interesting story too.

On TXG, still waiting on G410, TM, PXG, but Matty's been getting crazy good numbers from the F9 and Mizzy.

Hot List... The general public has no clue that it all relates to Ad dollars! Funny stuff.

• Like 2

Hot List... The general public has no clue that it all relates to Ad dollars! Funny stuff.

Not surprising really. Callaway is top of their lists across the board, which while they make good clubs in general, taking the top spot the whole way is suspect for sure. Especially when a lot of YouTube reviews are showing better performance out of competitors.

• Like 1

I’ve hit them all. At 105 mph average ss there was not much separation. The TS3 performance is great for me. I swung the F9 a couple mph faster, but the spin was a bit higher so the yardages were basically the same. The PXG is fantastic. I would have bought it if I didn’t already have the Titleist. Long story, but there are so many good to great options out there that you would be hard pressed to go wrong with anything.

Great time for golf equipment. So much quality stuff out there. I'm just partial to PXG aesthetics and I believe in their tech more than the others. Ping is probably the only one I'd put near them tech-wise, which is no surprise given PXGs lead engineers are formerly Ping. I'm also one of the few apparently who loves turbulators and dragonfly. That being said I really like the raised crown features this year on G410 with internal dragonfly, but PXG takes the looks department and the sound based on watching Horschel is phenomenal. Performance sounds strong though I've not seen any hard numbers yet.

• Like 1

I really don't care.

I do care about who was on the 2017 Most Wanted List because with my budget and the smaller amount of rounds I'm able to play, I'd rather pick up one of THOSE drivers on the cheap! 😄

• Like 4

I think it would almost have to be between the Cobra F9 and PING G410 based on the reviews that are currently out there. However, I haven't seen much on the new PXG driver so it could easily slip in under the radar for most people. I think PXG makes good stuff and would love to try it, but I just can't do the price - it's simply outside of my budget. I had planned/hoped to buy a new set this season, but it will likely get put off until next winter or next spring. Thinking Cobra, Titleist, or Mizuno - maybe even a mixture of all three - so I'm anxiously awaiting the Most Wanted list to see what shakes out.

• Like 1

Man there are some great comments in this thread!

Two take aways for me that I whole heartedly agree with but might tweak.

1. “So much good stuff out there that you can hardly go wrong” - Yes! But I would add so long as you know how each OEM’s driver tends to perform, if it generally fits your swing profile and then get fit from there.

But yes there’s lots of good drivers and the PXG is one of them. But I’m on a budget so why spend the money when I can get the same performance elsewhere?

2. “I do care about who was on the 2017 Most Wanted List”

Brilliant strategy for driver IMO. For irons go ahead and back up to 16 or 15 if you’d like.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, revkev said:

2. “I do care about who was on the 2017 Most Wanted List”

Brilliant strategy for driver IMO. For irons go ahead and back up to 16 or 15 if you’d like.

I made that comment partially tongue in cheek, but it is how I approach things. I play around 20 rounds a year, and a bunch of them are on a Par 3 with my son. Is a $500 new driver going to drastically change my scores or my enjoyment of the game? Heck no.  Like MGS points out, new and expensive doesn't always mean better. Would I like to upgrade my F6? Sure... eventually. I certainly have no issues with golfers who wait for the Most Wanted list to come out and update their bag, it's all about having fun. 

I would like to see a retrospective/comparison though, I think that would be cool. 2019 Most Wanted vs 2017 or 2016 Most Wanted to see what the gains are in distance & dispersion (if any) and what the current new price is vs. the price of that older Most Wanted driver used or NOS. 

• Like 1

This thread title is HUGE clickbait for somebody thinking the results were leaked early!!! It give my head a spin when I saw it.

This is going to be the year I think we are going to see a huge bunching at the top, with different winners in all swing speed categories. As everyone has been saying, 2019 is the year of the driver and I expect that to show in these results. I could easily see PXG, F9 or 410 taking the cake.

But sleeping on the TS series, ST-190, or even 785 would be wrong as well. And that's before discussing the two "top dawgs" in TM and Callaway. I am going to break my F5 button next Monday that's for sure. 

It will also be cool to see if some of the smaller companies like Tour Edge and Sub 70 can make some inroads and how they place. If they can give comparable results to the big boys that is going to help them HUGE.

• Like 4