Sign in to follow this  
FrogginBullfish

2019 Most Wanted Driver PXG 0811X/0811XF

Our Sponsors

It is a great time for equipment, but one thing I have learned over the last few months with a some time in golf bays at GG and PGATSS is that I have to work on getting a more repeatable swing before I concern myself with whether I can eek out that last 5 yards from a new driver. Right now, if I were forced to buy something, it would be an 8.5* M3 with the stock Tensei Blue shaft. It has been, by far, the best for my swing in its current state, at least according to the LM's.

• Like 5

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

A good friend of mine who has access to the 2019 drivers tried the new TaylorMade, Callaway, & Ping.  The Ping G410 had his eyes bulging like Junior Samples in a pancake eating contest!   He said it was sweeeeeeeeeet so 2019 should be interesting in the big stick category. 

• Like 5

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

I’m excited to compare the 2018 data (LST) and results to this year to see how they measure up. I don’t have any desire to change my driver but I would like to see what kind of gains can be made in just one calendar year.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

On 2/18/2019 at 9:04 AM, revkev said:

But yes there’s lots of good drivers and the PXG is one of them. But I’m on a budget so why spend the money when I can get the same performance elsewhere?

With the price drop in this years PXG driver it does make it a contender for me if and when I got to a fitting because it’s only 25-50 dollars more than the other oems. 

• Like 4

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

A good friend of mine who has access to the 2019 drivers tried the new TaylorMade, Callaway, & Ping.  The Ping G410 had his eyes bulging like Junior Samples in a pancake eating contest!   He said it was sweeeeeeeeeet so 2019 should be interesting in the big stick category. 

TXG just did a youtube video on it and Ian (their master clubfitter) did not look like he was impressed. They compared it against the G400 LST and the LST seemed to outperform it in everyway. Now, that was for one person, and not an apples to apples comparison, but I am not sure it is going to be the hit the LST was. 

They were very high on the ST-190 and the F9, as well as the Titleist drivers, for what that's worth.

• Like 3

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I'm calling it now........

Ping g410

Titleist TS

Cobra F9

Callaway Flash

PXG

TM

I note no-one else mentioned Titleist, are they included or are they classed as last year?

• Like 1

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

PING G410

F9

TS

PXG

TM 

Flash

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I think PXG is going to surprise a lot of people this year....

PXG

F9

G410

Flash

M5

• Like 1

In my ATumSBM.jpg Silencer

:cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size

SONARTEC 3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

Gigagolf.com - TXR Hybrid: 3H, UST Proforce V2 S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

:ping-small: G 2016, 4-PW, AWT 2.0 S-flex, +1/2", black dot, with Super Stroke - Soft Wrap TC

:titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D

:EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft

:Snell: MTB-X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope

17 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

I think PXG is going to surprise a lot of people this year....

PXG

F9

G410

Flash

M5

PXG is definitely a dark horse that could win. 

What I do find interesting, is the company that bills itself as "super premium and the best" is not the favorite to take the title. They'll either be proven right all along or just making false advertising claims like everyone else. Obviously, most of us here do not believe them. 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 2

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

10 minutes ago, GB13 said:

PXG is definitely a dark horse that could win. 

What I do find interesting, is the company that bills itself as "super premium and the best" is not the favorite to take the title. They'll either be proven right all along or just making false advertising claims like everyone else. Obviously, most of us here not believe them. 

I've been wrong many times in my life, but it seems like they saw the light since they brought the price point down so much. But you're probably right about the false claims. I hit their irons when they first came out and liked them a lot, but couldn't see myself paying that much. Funny...I even contacted them and asked for a sir name (Parsons) discount...they laughed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In my ATumSBM.jpg Silencer

:cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size

SONARTEC 3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

Gigagolf.com - TXR Hybrid: 3H, UST Proforce V2 S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

:ping-small: G 2016, 4-PW, AWT 2.0 S-flex, +1/2", black dot, with Super Stroke - Soft Wrap TC

:titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D

:EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft

:Snell: MTB-X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope

I like the looks of the G410.  The color scheme is sharp IMO and the simplicity of the adjustments makes it desirable for non techie ole coots like myself.  What does not impress me is the $500.00 bucks sticker shock that comes with gaming one of these puppies.     

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

I'm calling it now........ Ping g410 Titleist TS

Cobra F9

Callaway Flash

PXG

TM

I note no-one else mentioned Titleist, are they included or are they classed as last year?

Titleist was in the testing.  

I am not providing any thoughts on the results.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Well PXG took home Most Forgiving, but to be expected with the 0811XF rolling in at 5900 Iyy and combined over 10000.

Epic Flash Sub Zero takes the crown. Will be interesting to see if Callaway uses Most Wanted as a badge of honour seeing as they declined to participate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

The pxg stuff performed well against what’s out there. It has more checks in the pro box than the winner and only 1 con

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 2/22/2019 at 10:46 AM, newballcoach said:

TXG just did a youtube video on it and Ian (their master clubfitter) did not look like he was impressed. They compared it against the G400 LST and the LST seemed to outperform it in everyway. Now, that was for one person, and not an apples to apples comparison, but I am not sure it is going to be the hit the LST was. 

They were very high on the ST-190 and the F9, as well as the Titleist drivers, for what that's worth.

Yeah, I saw that.   His reaction was definitely noticeable, it was like "Man, I did not see this coming.  I don't know what to say"   

For those that didn't see it,  Matt was comparing the G410 to his custom fit 400 LST.  But the only demo head that TXG had on hand was the 10.5 head compared to the 8.5 I think Matt normally plays.  As a result it was spinning I think 600 or 700 RPM more than the LST.    So even though Matt was getting more ball speed, 179 to 177 I think, he was getting an easy 20 or so yards less carry, due to the high spin.

Matt went out of his way to mention it wasn't a true or even fair comparison and they will do another testing, if a LST 410 comes out or even when they get a lower lofted 410+ head in. 

• Like 1

:callaway-logo-1:  MAVRIK Sub Zero 9.0 Adilia MSI 60S

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:callaway-logo-1: MAVRIK 5-A Nippon Modus 105 S 

:callaway-logo-1: MD5 Jaws 54.10 and 58.12 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

The pxg stuff performed well against what’s out there. It has more checks in the pro box than the winner and only 1 con
Absolutely. 0811XF looks like a surefire winner based on pros and cons, and the con is a noted thing with drivers with crazy high MOI. So tbh not a real con for the category it's aimed at especially when the pros are incredibly consistent ball speed, outstanding carry consistency, exceptionally tight dispersion, while ranking first in looks and feel. To me 0811XF is the big winner here.

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Absolutely. 0811XF looks like a surefire winner based on pros and cons, and the con is a noted thing with drivers with crazy high MOI. So tbh not a real con for the category it's aimed at especially when the pros are incredibly consistent ball speed, outstanding carry consistency, exceptionally tight dispersion, while ranking first in looks and feel. To me 0811XF is the big winner here.

And the con when you look at data it’s an insignificant amount of ball speed difference 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The 0811X was 10 yards longer than my G400 Max..... Ten yards. That was with a fitting that started with stock shafts and results from those combos showing the G400 Max wasn’t going to be beaten. Then an “aha” moment by the fitter, and he grabs the new Graphite Design shaft. Bingo.
Remember, we still get to see winners broken-our by swing speed, and secondly, the tests are done with stock shafts. There’s a very good chance that a driver lower down on the list will be a winner for someone once they’ve gone through a true fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

The 0811X was 10 yards longer than my G400 Max..... Ten yards. That was with a fitting that started with stock shafts and results from those combos showing the G400 Max wasn’t going to be beaten. Then an “aha” moment by the fitter, and he grabs the new Graphite Design shaft. Bingo.
Remember, we still get to see winners broken-our by swing speed, and secondly, the tests are done with stock shafts. There’s a very good chance that a driver lower down on the list will be a winner for someone once they’ve gone through a true fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do you mean 0811XF? The 0811X is bound to be longer with faster ball speeds and low spin with the more low and forward CG location and Iyy MOI between 4400 and 4800.

Ping G400 Max at 5700 and 0811XF at 5900. If you did mean 0811XF, that's a big deal for PXG and goes to show the importance of a fitter who knows what they're doing.