Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Monday Golf on Presidents Day - what to do?

Mr. 82

So I am off from work on Monday, and figured it's a good opportunity to play some golf.  But I pinged a couple of friends, and everyone seems to be working.  So flying solo means I am on my own, but my motivation is only so so.  I am tempted just to play the muni 5 minutes from my house where for $45 you get a round of golf, burger and beer.  But I don't know.  Golf is better with friends, so I'm just lukewarm whatever it is.

I could also drive an hour or more to some better courses.  Heck, I even thought of driving down to World Woods, and play one of the best tracks in Florida, but that's 4 hours each way, and without company on the course I'm not too high on that idea.

What would you do with a day off and golf as an option anywhere you could play?

Also don't know what @revkev or @fozcycle are doing, so their input might sway me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I cherish solo rounds when possible, because for me, it basically can never happen where I live unless its either cold or rainy or both. I use them to hit a couple of balls a hole, rechip my crappy chips, redo my lag putts, basically a full on 18 hole practice round (I always play my first ball so i can track my score though). Plus, I can walk and not be rushed and really clear my head and still be done in 2.5 -3 hours. 

BUT we are clearly at very different skill levels so you might not need to do something like that, If it were me, I would play a solo round somewhere and enjoy the outdoors. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

My bag is currently iron-less, but I was thinking of hitting the range anyway to tweak the driver a bit. If I had my irons, I'd most likely play a round myself as a single since most of my normal partners are working today. Weather looks..."OK"

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Though I agree that golf is often more fun with friends, I don't have any issues with playing solo either. For me, a nice course within an hour is a good option, but so is the course closest to me - that would ultimately come down to what else I had planned for the day. Either way, I think any golf is better than no golf.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

6 hours ago, bardle said:

I cherish solo rounds when possible, because for me, it basically can never happen where I live unless its either cold or rainy or both. I use them to hit a couple of balls a hole, rechip my crappy chips, redo my lag putts, basically a full on 18 hole practice round (I always play my first ball so i can track my score though). Plus, I can walk and not be rushed and really clear my head and still be done in 2.5 -3 hours. 

BUT we are clearly at very different skill levels so you might not need to do something like that, If it were me, I would play a solo round somewhere and enjoy the outdoors. 

I did what you described last weekend.  I reluctantly went out late on Saturday morning, and just figured I'd see what the course 5 minutes from my house was like.  I walked in the pro shop, and the guy said I could go right out.

I walked to the first tee while two guys were teeing off from the forward tees and dribbling it about 100 yards somewhere in the vacinity of the golf course.  I just walked to the practice putting green and waited for about 15 minutes before teeing off.  I hit two balls for the first 12 holes where I still caught these guys.  They waived me right through, but I ended up a hole later bumping into another twosome in front of them, who were waiting on a foursome in front of them.

I had the wife with me in the cart on the back nine, but I took mental notes and figured that if I go out later in the afternoon I might have an open course, as there was no one else behind me after that.  But honestly, I can only play so many solo rounds by myself before it becomes boring.  Golf for me is supposed to be a social game.  I've got my Tuesday evening scramble starting in a few weeks.  We'll see how that goes.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

@GSwag be honest...  you didn't enjoy yesterday because there was no Crown.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

I do enjoy a solo round here and there but like you,  it's social.  I love being with others.  Plus so someone can verify those 2 or 3 awesome shots I have.  When I am alone and don't play well I am more apt to just walk off the course.  And especially when I have to play super slow.  Would u play the course again though? 

Archived