Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

WGC Mexico

Shankster

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Rory and DJ both jack 400+ yard tee shots and play 9 irons second shots into a 620 yard hole... WHAAAT!  Come on now, at some point they need to add some new dimensions to these courses for tour play.  Ideas?

They weren't the only ones.  21 drives over 400y this week.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

....that shot by Tiger was impressive but it wasn't as amazing as everyone is making it out to be.

you can do it too!  check out this article...pretty good write up. =- https://www.adamyounggolf.com/how-did-tiger-woods-hit-that-shot/

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

31 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

....that shot by Tiger was impressive but it wasn't as amazing as everyone is making it out to be.

you can do it too!  check out this article...pretty good write up. =- https://www.adamyounggolf.com/how-did-tiger-woods-hit-that-shot/

No, it really was as amazing as everyone made it out to be. The percentage of success on that shot was pretty low. The physics behind it may be simple, but the feat itself is impressive and not something just anyone can do. Plenty of people can do it, but not anyone.  

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

No, it really was as amazing as everyone made it out to be. The percentage of success on that shot was pretty low. The physics behind it may be simple, but the feat itself is impressive and not something just anyone can do. Plenty of people can do it, but not anyone.  

Name them!

1. Seve

2. Tiger

3. I’m waiting

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Name them!

1. Seve

2. Tiger

3. I’m waiting

emoji6.pngemoji1362.png

3. Phil

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Name them!

1. Seve

2. Tiger

3. I’m waiting

emoji6.pngemoji1362.png

So what, I'm supposed to name every conceivable person on earth who could intentionally slice it out of a fairway bunker? Pretty sure that list extends far beyond what any of us here at MGS could name. If you put everyone on tour in that bunker and told them to duplicate the shot, I think you'd be surprised at the number who could pull it off (within a reasonable proximity). The point was not to diminish Tiger's shot, and I don't think I did that. The point was to say that it was not an easy shot while acknowledging the fact that Tiger IS NOT the only person in the world who could pull it off. Perhaps - under the circumstances - Tiger is the only one who would attempt the shot, but I don't believe he's the only person capable. 

Just to add to your list though there are at least two more:

Phil

Bubba

and I bet one or maybe even both of the Bryan Bros could figure that one out. 

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

8 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

So what, I'm supposed to name every conceivable person on earth who could intentionally slice it out of a fairway bunker? Pretty sure that list extends far beyond what any of us here at MGS could name. If you put everyone on tour in that bunker and told them to duplicate the shot, I think you'd be surprised at the number who could pull it off (within a reasonable proximity). The point was not to diminish Tiger's shot, and I don't think I did that. The point was to say that it was not an easy shot while acknowledging the fact that Tiger IS NOT the only person in the world who could pull it off. Perhaps - under the circumstances - Tiger is the only one who would attempt the shot, but I don't believe he's the only person capable. 

Phil

Bubba

Patty Reed was presented with the exact same shot and decided he'd rather try to go over the tree...he failed miserably...If it was really that easy, he would have tried it too I think...

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

9 minutes ago, bardle said:

Patty Reed was presented with the exact same shot and decided he'd rather try to go over the tree...he failed miserably...If it was really that easy, he would have tried it too I think...

Yeah I give up. Apparently, no one can be bothered to see that I never implied it was an easy shot. Perhaps Reed didn't go for it because he thought he had a higher percentage of success by going over the tree. It's hard to say in a tournament situation with their paychecks are on the line. But if you're suggestion is that Tiger is the one and only person on earth capable of producing that shot then your ignorance astounds me. He gets bonus points for doing it in a tournament round where the additional pressure of scoring reduces the likelihood of success even further, but again - not the only person in the world capable.

27 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Yeah I give up. Apparently, no one can be bothered to see that I never implied it was an easy shot. Perhaps Reed didn't go for it because he thought he had a higher percentage of success by going over the tree. It's hard to say in a tournament situation with their paychecks are on the line. But if you're suggestion is that Tiger is the one and only person on earth capable of producing that shot then your ignorance astounds me. He gets bonus points for doing it in a tournament round where the additional pressure of scoring reduces the likelihood of success even further, but again - not the only person in the world capable.

I suggested nothing. Just making an observation.

I didn't disagree with you at all, I have no doubt other tour players are capable. But I know only one man who would actually try something that crazy. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

On 2/24/2019 at 9:21 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Rory and DJ both jack 400+ yard tee shots and play 9 irons second shots into a 620 yard hole... WHAAAT!  Come on now, at some point they need to add some new dimensions to these courses for tour play.  Ideas?

Interesting tidbit is neither were in the top 5 longest drives all week. 

1st- Justin Thomas with 457yds

2nd - Alex Bjork with 423yds

3rd - Alex Noren with 418yds

4th - Tom Lewis 412yds

5th -Brooks Koepka with 411yds

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Phil
Bubba

Wasn’t trying to be an a word about it. Just wanted a list of players that could do it.

That much side sauce though.... It didn’t even go forward on the green just 90° to the right.

I see your point, and yes, no one else would have tried it, or even would have saw that line? Phil would have went vertical, and Bubba for sure, that would have fit his shot shape perfect.

14 hours ago, bardle said:

I suggested nothing. Just making an observation.

I didn't disagree with you at all, I have no doubt other tour players are capable. But I know only one man who would actually try something that crazy. 

You're right. My bad. I must have just been on edge or cranky or something yesterday to read it that way and respond like I did - to you and to @Shankster. Sorry guys.

It was an incredible shot and doing it under the pressure of a tournament round is what makes Tiger TIGER 🐅.

Interestingly enough, Mark Crossfield had a similar take to mine and got out on the course with Andy and Matt to try and prove it. I thought it was a good watch. Anyone else see it?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

16 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I agree. The only other one that could get that one right would be Phil. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

missed my point....it wasn't hard because he's practiced it.  hundreds of times.  if you take a skilled golfer (ala P. Reed) and they practice the shot over and over again I don't think they're nervous about doing it and most of the times they are able to execute.

as the saying goes - never hit a shot on the course that you haven't practiced!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

missed my point....it wasn't hard because he's practiced it.  hundreds of times.  if you take a skilled golfer (ala P. Reed) and they practice the shot over and over again I don't think they're nervous about doing it and most of the times they are able to execute.

as the saying goes - never hit a shot on the course that you haven't practiced!

From that perspective, I most certainly agree. There's no question that Tiger practices shaping shots because he's been proving that on the course for decades now. Same is true for many other pros. 

1 minute ago, TR1PTIK said:

From that perspective, I most certainly agree. There's no question that Tiger practices shaping shots because he's been proving that on the course for decades now. Same is true for many other pros. 

I recall an interview with him long ago when his dad would take him out onto the course at dusk/dark and have him shape his shots intentionally.  He had to 'feel it' rather than 'see it' and he practiced that over and over. 

I was amazed at that....the guy is an incredible athlete; I'll bet you he could beat plenty of guys with his eyes closed the entire round.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

He had to 'feel it' rather than 'see it' and he practiced that over and over. 

That's probably why I've also heard it said that he shapes shots by intentionally mis-hitting a little. So for that cut out of the bunker, he no doubt struck it closer to the heel.

Archived