TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pace of Play Survey

GolfSpy Barbajo

Does Pace of Play REALLY Matter?  

659 members have voted

1. 1. Does slow play.....

• Keep you from playing golf at certain courses?
    • Keep you from play golf at certain courses on certain days?
    • Keep you from playing golf at all?
    • Not affect how often or where you play?
  2. 2. Does slow play negatively affect....

• Enjoyment of your round?
    • The business health of a specific golf course?
    • Overall participation in the sport?
    • Nothing, it's not a big deal.
  3. 3. What are the biggest causes of slow play?

• Course setup (high rough/narrow fairways/silly-fast greens)?
    • Playing from the wrong tees?
    • A long/difficult Par 3 within the first few holes?
    • Idiots who don't know golf etiquette and think they are JB Holmes?
    • Poor use of 2-person carts?
    • Not enough space between tee times?
  4. 4. How much extra would you be willing to pay for a course with a guaranteed 4 hour or less round of golf?

• 10% over "normal" greens fees?
    • 15%?
    • 20%?
    • 25%?
    • More? This is what they're SUPPOSED to be doing!
    • It's not a problem.
  5. 5. Do you think golf courses REALLY see slow play as a problem that needs to be solved?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, palvord said:

I love the idea of additional options for types of rounds other than 9 or 18 holes.  I know that my in-laws would love a 12 hole round as they begin to fade after that point.

A 6 hole round would be an excellent choice for folks with busier weekend schedules or crazy work week schedules.

The course I grew up playing was interestingly suited for short rounds.  It was a nine hole course, and every hole had at least two distinct tee boxes, one for the front and one for the back.  The really convenient thing was that the #8 tee was closer to the #1 green than the #2 tee was.  That meant you could play 1, 8, 9 in a very logical manner.  I've played 3, 6, 9, 12 and 18 hole rounds on that course many times.  It was very common, when I was first learning the game, for me to go with my parents around dusk and just play 1, 8, 9.  While I don't necessarily think this is a pace of play thing, I do see the benefit of engaging people in the game.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

All I have to add is play Bethpage Black at 10 am on a Saturday. If you finish in under six hours they should give you a medal. Players on the wrong tees, players thinking they are in the US Open, players that need to take pictures of literally every shot they hit (which is a lot of pictures) and players that feel they need to get the most out of the money they paid for the round. I live 10 minutes from Bethpage and play it maybe once a year. I would play it much more often if I was not on the golf course for 6+ hours.

And it is not better on Red or Blue and they have carts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

7 hours ago, revkev said:

Thanks for inviting us to participate Barbajo.  I will make a couple of comments here. 

I think that slow play is a huge problem and that it does in fact keep people away from the game.  I was surprised to see that the overwhelming majority of respondents think that "idiot golfers" cause slow play.  I would maintain that play could be expeditated by the course itself by keeping rough down, fairways wide, setting the tees shorter than listed on the card (guys will always play tees that are too long), carefully setting the pins in level places on the green and keeping speeds at a reasonable rate and then posting lots of reminders about pace of play throughout the course and on the cart.  With the new rules golfers should be encouraged to leave the pin in as everyone doing so will increase pace of play also. 

You have some good points here.  I looked back to get a refresh on what the questions were.  I probably voted for (against?) the idiots.  That may not be the most loving term, but it seemed like the best place for the folks opposed to ready to play golf.  I didn't have the patience to watch most of last weekends PGA event, but it sounds like JB is in the "I'm not going to start thinking about this shot until it is my turn" crowd.

We have a range of course difficulties here.  Some require you to be prepared to battle some tiny or rather unusable fairways and rough that can hide a ball for years.  If I were to return to a course like that, I should be prepared to spend more time searching than swinging.  No point complaining about time of a round there.

One of the easier courses does pose the problem you point out with pins.  It isn't a hard or long course, but the greens do have some pretty big ridges.  Sometimes they place them in places more suited for a "greenskeeper's revenge" tournament.  Three guys three putting one green can lead to some backups really quickly.

Some type of time keeping device for players to keep track should help, I would think, if it begins to get enforced.  Otherwise it just sounds like wasted funds.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

This might be part of the problem......

IMG_8036.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

On 2/21/2019 at 10:18 AM, revkev said:

Thanks for inviting us to participate Barbajo.  I will make a couple of comments here. 

I think that slow play is a huge problem and that it does in fact keep people away from the game.  I was surprised to see that the overwhelming majority of respondents think that "idiot golfers" cause slow play.  I would maintain that play could be expeditated by the course itself by keeping rough down, fairways wide, setting the tees shorter than listed on the card (guys will always play tees that are too long), carefully setting the pins in level places on the green and keeping speeds at a reasonable rate and then posting lots of reminders about pace of play throughout the course and on the cart.  With the new rules golfers should be encouraged to leave the pin in as everyone doing so will increase pace of play also. 

Forget the 4 hour stuff - that's ridiculous - pace of play should be 3:30 - shoot for that - it's not unreasonable.  Greg Norman and Fuzzy Zoeller completed an 18 hole US Open playoff in under 3 hours - that's walking on one of the toughest courses in the world under ridiculous conditions playing for a huge prize. 

Rev you are very optimistic, which is admirable.

I have played hard courses, easy courses, medium courses, a lot of different courses. The only common denominator is the idiots. No matter how the course is setup they will still bog down play. I would agree to a point that the course can influence pace of play via conditions but it only helps to a point. I still find some that no matter what some are just slow. The biggest thing a course can do IMO is to stop the 7 & 8 min or even 10 min intervals of tee times. But that cuts into their bottom line which in turn leads us to fewer healthy golf courses or higher rates which is a lose lose for ALL golfers.  In reality the problem solely lies with the golfers on the course. 

As far as 3:30 18 hole round. I agree that is about perfect, anything under 4 hours for me is perfectly acceptable. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 3:49 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

So much this!   it's meant to be our enjoyment, and if we let things out of our control such as weather, pace of play,  even our own play dictate getting upset, then to me that defeats the purpose of playing.

Do i wish I could shoot 75 each time out instead of 95 or 100....you bet.  And while those high scores might not make me jump for joy, I haven't quit yet after shooting one.   And I don't necessarily want to play a round in 2.5 hours.   To me that's too fast and there's no way you can be enjoying the day, the weather and the company if you're racing around the course.    If @MDGolfHacker is still around and see's this post, he can tell you about a round we played at Maryland National about 10 years ago with a Brit who walked on and joined us on the 10th tee.  We had just finished a very nice front 9, with pretty good scores and enjoyed the pace.    Well he was bound and determined to finish the back nine in about an hour, and while he was walking and we were in carts, it was all we could do to keep up with him, we were sprinting from the cart to our shots, and finally after about 3 holes, we told him to go ahead without us.  

So a round would have to be extremely long, like well over 5 hours for it to really bother me.   If it's slow during the round, I use that time to chat with my playing partner, or just relax and enjoy the weather.   

Lol, and me without golf sneaker shoes.  A good walk spoiled...

MdGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

On 2/21/2019 at 10:18 AM, revkev said:

Forget the 4 hour stuff - that's ridiculous - pace of play should be 3:30 - shoot for that - it's not unreasonable.  Greg Norman and Fuzzy Zoeller completed an 18 hole US Open playoff in under 3 hours - that's walking on one of the toughest courses in the world under ridiculous conditions playing for a huge prize. 

Maybe on private courses, a 3:30 round is reasonable.  Not at a muni on the weekend.  Sure two pros playing by themselves, both fast players, with no one in front of them, no lost balls to search for, shooting 67 and 75 on a tough course playing less than 7000 yards could play under 3 hours.  However, a foursome playing at a muni on a weekend that takes a combined 400 shots isn't going to play in less than 4 hours.  Not happening.  

Yes, the course could be set up to expedite play, and at most munis I think that's the case unless they have a tournament scheduled.  As for playing from the correct set of tees...  here's a message from the Oregon Golf Association (OGA) course:

In the very near future, you will be seeing new tee box markers that will be indicated by numbers and not by colors.  This program is part of a new initiative coauthored by the PGA of America and the USGA.

We are very excited about the program and it’s ability to make the game MORE FUN FOR MORE PEOPLE!

In a nutshell, it works like this:  Based on a person’s clubhead speed, we will have a “best suited” set of tees.  This is neither an age or gender issue, simply clubhead speed.  The research has found that traditional tee assignments are all too long for the average player.

The benefit to you will be that when playing the appropriate tee, you will have the opportunity to hit into the green with the same or at least a similar club that scratch players would hit (like the Pros).  Think of having six or eight birdie putts in one day!  Think of having more energy at the end of the round!  Think of playing at a quicker pace and not wearing out the three wood!  So many great things to experience!

AND, it won’t foul up your handicap.  Course and slope ratings will be updated to keep your handicap accurate. 

We will have staff available on hand to assist you with the measurement of your clubhead speed whenever you are ready.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Maybe on private courses, a 3:30 round is reasonable.  Not at a muni on the weekend.  Sure two pros playing by themselves, both fast players, with no one in front of them, no lost balls to search for, shooting 67 and 75 on a tough course playing less than 7000 yards could play under 3 hours.  However, a foursome playing at a muni on a weekend that takes a combined 400 shots isn't going to play in less than 4 hours.  Not happening.  
Yes, the course could be set up to expedite play, and at most munis I think that's the case unless they have a tournament scheduled.  As for playing from the correct set of tees...  here's a message from the Oregon Golf Association (OGA) course:
In the very near future, you will be seeing new tee box markers that will be indicated by numbers and not by colors.  This program is part of a new initiative coauthored by the PGA of America and the USGA.
We are very excited about the program and it’s ability to make the game MORE FUN FOR MORE PEOPLE!
In a nutshell, it works like this:  Based on a person’s clubhead speed, we will have a “best suited” set of tees.  This is neither an age or gender issue, simply clubhead speed.  The research has found that traditional tee assignments are all too long for the average player.
The benefit to you will be that when playing the appropriate tee, you will have the opportunity to hit into the green with the same or at least a similar club that scratch players would hit (like the Pros).  Think of having six or eight birdie putts in one day!  Think of having more energy at the end of the round!  Think of playing at a quicker pace and not wearing out the three wood!  So many great things to experience!
AND, it won’t foul up your handicap.  Course and slope ratings will be updated to keep your handicap accurate. 
We will have staff available on hand to assist you with the measurement of your clubhead speed whenever you are ready.
See I love the idea of different tee boxes for those who are newer to the game or dont drive the ball further. Often those people aren't the problem it's the guys who think they're good trying to play from the tips and barely hitting the drive past the forward tee. Often those guys are the ones who also take 5 min to putt from 3ft and range each shot. I think another issue is you have so many courses that have to try to make money they load the course with players and it leads to tons of waiting, I often don't have waiting issues at courses that have staggered tee times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 3/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, MDGolfHacker said:

Lol, and me without golf sneaker shoes.  A good walk spoiled...

MdGolfHacker

He lives!

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

As someone who hooved it in 2 hours against darkness and had a 45 minute 9 hole streak through 6 groups, it can be any number of things. The last summer I was playing 3 hour walking rounds at best as a single. I realized I wasn't hitting any fairways and struggling to find balls etc.  I think it sometimes comes down to skill of the golfer because no matter how quick a bad golfer is 100 strokes will take a long time to hit especially if you're advancing the ball 100 yards at a time.

There's also the group that needlessly has a conversation on the tee box or putts out every three footer even kick ins they miss the first time. I don't know what the right answer is anymore.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Bump. (☞ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☞

With all these people online, it's a good time to continue capturing data. Make sure you're on the full site (mobile browser or desktop) to vote in the poll. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

On 2/18/2019 at 11:13 AM, Shankster said:

I can do 18 holes in 1:50 with putting out every hole.

Put a 4 some in front of me that helps each other with the range finder only to Duff it 3 yards and add 3 to that.

I forget where I read it, but one of the pros... ah Sam Snead said sometimes you might just want to find a new hobby...

Or at least find a par 3 course you can hack your way around.

I think it’s skill level and trying to out do your buddy. Growing up working at a course was funny, guys literally spent 3-5 minutes with a range finder and hit it so far out of bounds... it’s frustrating waiting around for these guys.

I think everyone should be able to enjoy this wonderful game... get a few poor playing 4 somes out on the course and it really sucks the fun out it.

Maybe only let 2 go at a time. There isn’t a cure I don’t think.

I understand the reality of spacing tee times, but if courses COULD put more time between groups, I think this problem would be greatly reduced. 

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I don't play weekends much anymore due to slow play at some local courses.   I will play weekends at certain courses with my friends just because that is the only time they can play.

Even though I don't like slow play there was one time when it worked out for me.  I was playing really well.  Got to the the 14th at one under par.   Took 40 minutes to play 14 and I birdied it.  So I'm 2 under going to 15.  We look and there are 4 groups waiting on 15.  The guys I'm playing with look at me and " say we'll stay if you want to".  I said,  "no way.  If I have to play this slow for the last 4 holes I'm sure I'll screw up this round".  We went home and now I have a 2 under round to talk about.

Driver:  Honma BeZeal 9.5 degree S flex

FW:  Adams Tight Lies 2022 3 wood & 5 wood

Irons: Giga Golf Reva 3-PW stiff UST 70 gram shafts,  Mizuno t-7 52degree

SW:  Mizuno T22 55 degree

Putter:  Inazone Stand up

Lots of good discussion here about playing the proper set of tees. If you can take your (not “YOUR”, but those other “yours”) ego out of the equation, I have used a formula that I picked up somewhere, unsure where/when I read/saw it. Deduct your handicap from “142”. The remainder tells you what set of tees you should be playing from, based on the course rating. I play a lot of “travel” golf. This has served me well as a guide. 

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Lots of good discussion here about playing the proper set of tees. If you can take your (not “YOUR”, but those other “yours”) ego out of the equation, I have used a formula that I picked up somewhere, unsure where/when I read/saw it. Deduct your handicap from “142”. The remainder tells you what set of tees you should be playing from, based on the course rating. I play a lot of “travel” golf. This has served me well as a guide. 
Really like that I'll start using it I like when courses do the tee colors by handicap (forward 20+, middle 10-20, tips 10-). I wonder if they use a similar formula for figuring all that out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I know its not the answer but i do not play on weekends unless it is a tournament.I have introduced my kids,nephews and grand kids to the game and had to be very selective on the courses i take them to that allows enough time between groups. Unfortunately these courses are getting fewer so i try to patronize them when i can. It is a shame that it is so difficult to introduce new players to the game

Old Duffer

I to had a hard time answering with your choices in each question. Number 3 golf etiquette encompasses several of the other answers and doesn’t mention technology. The overuse of range finders. I also believe that players that are occasional or getting up in age/ability need to look more closely at the course and tee boxes that they play.

Having worked at a golf course as a ranger, I can only cite my first-hand observations that motorized carts are a primary factor to a slow pace of play. First and foremost, two people going to one ball is illogical. Watching the number of times people go into their bags for clubs, balls, tees, and mystery items is astounding. Instead of hitting a shot and holding onto the club until reaching the next shot's location, riders unfailingly take time to return the club to the back of the cart, and then go to the front empty-handed. This happens with both players adding to the total time of the enterprise. This doesn't include the other trips when pulling the wrong club or changing his/her mind on club selection. Taking two clubs and leaving one behind also adds to the round's time. Riders also miss the opportunity to "see" the next shot - distance, potential wind and topography factors, and type of shot necessary because they are either driving a cart or looking at someone else driving a cart. Walkers are usually in better physical condition and can play more efficiently and thus more quickly. Not to mention the old adage, "Miss it quick" for poorer golfers. The J.B. Holmes reference is apt.

My observation is that searching for balls is what slows groups the most.  Courses could address this by keeping the grounds clean, putting up barriers. And confiscating all ball retrievers until the end of the round 🙂  I know there are lots of guys that get as much fun out of finding balls as they do playing, but often the time they spend searching is what slows down the group.

Slow play is not killing the game but does create many issues for the golfer and the golf course.    For the golfers that are behind the group(s) that are playing slowly, it increases frustration and can and does impact the enjoyment of the game.  For those that are members, other than complaining to the Pro shop, not much else can be done,  but for the greens fee-paying golfers, it could result in them not coming back, which is lost future revenue and poor word of mouth if it becomes habitual.  Golf courses need to do everything possible to ensure those spending money on a game that can take 4.5 hours, enjoy their time and wish to spend their entertainment dollars at the golf course.  Member dues typically support the grounds budget, all other revenues tend to pay for the other operating expenditures, therefore anything that negatively impacts the green fee payer is NOT advisable.  The same can be said for purely private courses, as members may choose to become members elsewhere.

There are many courses across North America that are looking for ways to speed up play, including but not limited to larger golf holes, 12 hole courses and some 18 hole golf courses are reducing to 9 holes.

Unfortunately, many watch the Professional players either live or on TV and think that the time they spend should be the time they spend hitting a shot.  

People need to be educated on the negative impact of slow play in a manner that still encourages people to participate.  That is not to say they need to speed around the course, but they need to be respectful of the course and the other players, and in today's society, respect for the individual is severely lacking.

Edited by minus3hdcp

... I play a TON of golf as a single. I am wintering in Phoenix and play almost everyday and mostly paired up with new people every round. So far that is over 60 rounds this winter and I think there are many reasons for slow play and a lot of them have been addressed. But from my perspective there are really basically two factors that are at the very top of the list.

1) People are selfish. They just don't care about anyone else on the course and are gonna play the way they want. Already a hole behind and here comes the cart girl, so lets stop and talk about what we want, how much, who is gonna pay and oh yea ... flirt with the girl. Kinda like they are at a bar on a Friday night just having a grand time and absolutely never one thought about the 2 groups waiting on the tee behind them. Talking instead of hitting. Going to each ball like a committee, watching and commenting after every shot. Texting or even sharing video's. These are the same people that drive their cart 3 feet off the cart path to get one step closer to the tee box and often drive right next to or even on the fringe of the green because they are selfish. Golf is not a social event, golf is a sport and I can't imagine any other sport where participants just chat away instead of playing, drink to excess and have no consideration for the rest of the people trying to play. Don't get me wrong, there can be and almost always is a social aspect to playing golf and there is plenty of time to talk and have fun between shots as long as you accomplish all of the above in 4 hours. I will add that almost without fail, when I am in a slow group and point out we are a hole behind and it is backing up on the tee box behind us (sometimes within the first 4 holes) they get this HUH? look on their face like I am speaking a foreign language and look back to the tee behind us for the very first time because it is something they just never consider and either shrug or say something like we lost  ball on the last hole and just fell behind a little but were fine. After the first tee they get to tee off without waiting and have no idea what it is like to wait on every shot because they never have to do it. In all my years of playing golf I have only played with one agonizingly slow and selfish group in Orlando that actually caught up to an even slower more selfish group and they were aghast at how slow the group they caught up to were. I simply could not help myself and had to laugh and tell them what they are feeling is what every single group behind them feels every time they play and they could ask the 2 groups waiting on every tee. Selfish. 

2) Actually a spin off of people are selfish is bad golfers taking forever. We all started at some point and were not very good. But they take 3 or more practice swings, freeze over the ball going through a mental check list then finally hit a shot that goes 25-50 yds, take a few after the shot practice swings then finally get to the ball and go through that all over again is just selfish. If you are going to play bad, just play bad quickly. Pick up your ball and move to the green and chip or putt. I have always felt like double par is plenty of strokes, so max is 6 on a par 3, 8 on a par 4 and 10 on a par 5, then pick up and move on if you are holding people up. Go to the range. Play an executive course or a wide open muni late in the day and only play 9 holes. Play a par 3 course. I play with high index bad golfers all the time that have no problem at all keeping up and ironically they seem to enjoy their round much more than the person agonizing over every shot. I have told the story of  3 gentleman from India I played with in LA that hit from the tips and probably didn't break 125, but they played fast and kept up to the group in front of us. They walked while each other where hitting , but never when I addressed a shot, so they were courteous but very fast. They said they knew they were bad and wanted to hit as many shots as they could. It was a fun 4 hours. 

... So in the end it is very simple. Just be aware of and courteous to the rest of the people playing golf and keep pace with the group in front of you. That will fix it 90% of the time. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I found some survey questions difficult to answer because of the required responses. The format locked you into a response that may not have fit the responders point of view. 

As a side note, my golf club complains about slow play every week, yet some of our members are the worst offenders and nothing is done to address this. 

Great comments - yes when we have a great round going we can become slower, but once you discover most of those times your slowing down to analyze killed the round, you realize flow is everything.

Speed of play, flow starts with dropping off partner at his ball and going to hit yours - watch carts, they sit and yack and then go to the next players ball.

Change of rules is helping like flagstick in -  drop.

Does slow play impact game, complaint I hear the most, takes too long, not about rushing, twosome can play easy in 3 to 3 1/2 hours relaxing.

Tour pros -- putting routine, line on ball for lineup -- great aide but then watch public golf and see guys copy and many it does not matter - still miss.

More golf is more fun - the scores come from more play even those who do not work on their game get better playing more - therefore speeding up the game to me will lead to more golf, more satisfaction, more cash to courses.  

More rounds keep the cost down - dreamer maybe I am - and condition, even rough condition should not slow up play. 

Tough conditions, can impact speed of play, but then if golfers thrive on it and are prepared then does not slow down - you mark where your ball entered the rough, you make shots to the middle of the green. 

I am strong advocate of firm greens --- SEEMS TOO MANY EITHER THINK SOMEONE WILL COME OUT TO FIX THEIR MARKS or there are too many bad backs in my area of the country. 

Fast and firm greens ---  I know good and bad putting comes from my either having it or not - stroke and read.  .  

pace of play is yuuuuuuge.  many of the poll answers made me wish of ra letter E option: all the above. 

We absolutely will not play courses with known slow play for whatever the cause. We feel that courses MUST do a better job with tee sheet and course conditions and that golfers Must take responsibility for the pace of play as well. a mutual education proboem, It's as if courses have thriwn their hands in the air and are afraid to tackle this as revenues and rounds have gone down. I understand that however, this is a part of the cause. (how about a national pledge that golfers MUST sign every time they check in?)

At the city courses here in Tucson, walkers are allowed any day at any time and it's ridiculous. Get stuck behind people who are out for a stroll and occasionally hit a golf ball don't belong out there. I know I'll infuriate some folks but get your butt in a cart, get to the ball, hit it, and move on. If you want to walk, go elsewhere. There's nothing worse than getting behind a slow walker who thinks they're on the tour and takes all day to shoot 100.

1 hour ago, Steve S said:

I don't play weekends much anymore due to slow play at some local courses.   I will play weekends at certain courses with my friends just because that is the only time they can play.

Even though I don't like slow play there was one time when it worked out for me.  I was playing really well.  Got to the the 14th at one under par.   Took 40 minutes to play 14 and I birdied it.  So I'm 2 under going to 15.  We look and there are 4 groups waiting on 15.  The guys I'm playing with look at me and " say we'll stay if you want to".  I said,  "no way.  If I have to play this slow for the last 4 holes I'm sure I'll screw up this round".  We went home and now I have a 2 under round to talk about.

A great round!!  Since you played at least 13 holes, you get to post your score for handicap purposes.  Based on your handicap and the handicaps of holes 15-18, you take either a par or a bogey on those holes.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played in a scramble while at a business meeting at The Lake of the Ozarks. For some reason, the starter placed resort guests, with handicaps in the 30's,  in between our groups. It took 2 hours to play 3 holes! We quit and went back to the club house for refunds. The head pro apologized but refused to give us a refund! Luckily, I charged the fees and went back to the charge card issuer, who agreed with me and issued a refund. Will never go back again.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

16 minutes ago, GilB said:

At the city courses here in Tucson, walkers are allowed any day at any time and it's ridiculous. Get stuck behind people who are out for a stroll and occasionally hit a golf ball don't belong out there. I know I'll infuriate some folks but get your butt in a cart, get to the ball, hit it, and move on. If you want to walk, go elsewhere. There's nothing worse than getting behind a slow walker who thinks they're on the tour and takes all day to shoot 100.

... Wow. Golf is meant to be walked and I find walkers are faster players than those in carts almost every single time. In my experience walkers are in better physical shape and move quickly. I hate carts, although many resort courses or courses with extremely long distances between greens and the next tee make them a necessity. But I hold no animosity against those that ride, although I will never understand young and in shape golfers riding in carts. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Several of your questions, such as no. 3, would have benefitted from multiple answers, or ranking of answers.  Slow play can be caused by a variety of things including the "idiots" answer, as well as the "wrong tees" answer. 

There is a local course offering 'Fast play Fridays'. You agree to keep a pace of 3.5 hours in order to play. If you fail, you will be removed from the courses, and given a restricted time raincheck. You will not be allowed to play again on a Friday. Not only is the course filled on Fridays, but the pace of play is excellent. 

More courses should have Pace of Play standards for critical tee times.