GolfSpy MPR

Shorts for Tour Players

The Tour made a big announcement to fix a problem that has long been plaguing the game:

I'm thrilled by this news. I mean, honestly, won't five+ hours rounds be way better to watch if we can see J. B. Holmes's shins?

• Like 3

Didn’t they do this already? Last year?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Didn’t they do this already? Last year?

Had to look this up: they permitted it for last year's PGA Championship, but it wasn't Tour-wide.

• Like 3

Not much in the way of actual news until they permit shorts in tournament play. I understand the desire to maintain a professional appearance, but given the kind of heat and humidity these guys play in I'd be fine with shorts during all four rounds - even at The Masters and The Open.

• Like 4

Not much of a change, practice rounds and pro-ams aren’t on TV. I doubt they will allow this in the Pebble Beach celebrity pro-am; only in the weekly Wednesday pro-am.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Had to look this up: they permitted it for last year's PGA Championship, but it wasn't Tour-wide.

PGA of America allowed it the last 2 years which is not PGA Tour.

overall not a big story imo since it’s not the tournament rounds. 

Wake me when they allow it during tournament rounds.  The PGA Tour is so ridiculous about this honestly.  Force guys to sweat their balls off in pants, but don't enforce your pace of play policy.

Are you sure the PGA Tour isn't run by the government?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Old news. However I do think there should be some kind of dress standard - be it shorts, etc. I forgot the name of the player this past weekend that was wearing the equivalent of workout pants or sweat pants with an elasticized bottom. They looked terrible.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

If they don’t allow shorts when it’s hot they shouldn’t allow winter wear when cold. What they should do is all just wear shorts and tell the pga to piss of. Make it a temperature that permits shorts, 90+ degrees shorts are allowed. 

Just make Plus 2’s and 4’s mandatory. Best of both worlds.

Nothing like a good pair of Shants.

18 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Old news. However I do think there should be some kind of dress standard - be it shorts, etc. I forgot the name of the player this past weekend that was wearing the equivalent of workout pants or sweat pants with an elasticized bottom. They looked terrible.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

You are talking about Kelly Kraft and they are jogger style pants not sure they were sweatpants material. They are from Greyson and are high quality. Rickie wore joggers at least one round most of 2017.

I've thought forever that men tour Pros should be allowed to wear shorts if they choose too. Look at the LPGA. Appears to me they are well ventilated. Shorts, sleeveless shirts, mini skirts, etc.  However, the PGA would have to make it very clear that shorts doesn't mean Kilts. 😖

• Like 3

23 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Not much in the way of actual news until they permit shorts in tournament play. I understand the desire to maintain a professional appearance, but given the kind of heat and humidity these guys play in I'd be fine with shorts during all four rounds - even at The Masters and The Open.

Trust me you will never see it at the Masters. The ANGC runs that tournament and they are steeped in tradition. Of course I could be very wrong after all the lights did go on at Wrigley Field and Hell did freeze over even if it was in a town called Hell Michigan

23 hours ago, cnosil said:

Not much of a change, practice rounds and pro-ams aren’t on TV. I doubt they will allow this in the Pebble Beach celebrity pro-am; only in the weekly Wednesday pro-am.

Well they ought to after all the crap I have seen Larry The Cable guy and Bill Murray wear over the years. 

• Like 2

Quick change happens slowly. Good on you PGA Tour for acknowledging that there is nothing low-rent about common sense and player safety.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Well Ben, that’s what happens when you stand in one place too long to hit a shot.

• Haha 2

It’s good enough for the LPGA, but not for the men in tournament play.... Interesting.

• Like 1

Much as I like tradition/old school, I don't see an issue with PGA players wearing shorts during any period of an event.  I doubt we'll see it happen anytime soon however.

• Like 1