TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cost of golf in your area

PoorGolfer

How much does golf cost you per week/month/year??

As for myself and where I live, it is extremely expensive to even think about golf. As few as the clubs are in the capital, memberships are VERY expensive, green fees are ridiculous, lessons, balls and other equipment are still very very overpriced that's if they are found.

Actually, in normal circumstances, I don't think I would've afforded to play golf or even think about it. Luckily though, I am a member of a sporting social club that includes a more than 100 years old golf course. The membership is for life, is transferred to your sons and daughters and the annual fees are almost nothing.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

I can get weekday afternoon rates for as low as $15 at a good public course ($20 on the weekends).

If I wait until near the end of the calendar year, I can buy at another facility a 3 lesson package (30 min. each) for $99 with a Golf Digest "top" instructor.

Good golf deals are plentiful in my area (San Francisco / Bay Area) ... just gotta do the research!

• SPY VIP

Walking during the week is about $25 for 18 around here with another $15 to ride.

Country Clubs are deep dollars to join with high dues and food. There are some great courses in the area though, nearly all under $100 riding on weekends.

Great deals are available with Golfnow.com too, but I have yet to use that site.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Forgot to mention my rates.

Range session: $2

18 holes: free. Will cost $2 once my membership becomes separate in a year or so.

Lesson with pro: $10

That's why I told you I was lucky being a member of that club.

sdfut.jpg

• SPY VIP

18 holes: free. Will cost $2 once my membership becomes separate in a year or so.

That is great.

The other gripe I have is with walkable courses that force you to ride. That extra $15 is annoying. I guess more people get on if they all ride. Maybe?

Volvo Intorqueo

Golf in my area is decent price wise, even the higher end courses offer great twilight rates in the afternoon, say after a 1/2 day of work..;> I think it's 45.00 with cart after 1pm in the summer at the Arnold Palmer Signature at West Neck. The best maintained semi-public course in my area.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I don't know you, but I hate you.

j/k, of course, just jealousy speaking.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

The $2 range session go me thinking.

Most local ranges are about 10¢ a ball ($4 for 45, $9 for 95). How does this compare to where you are?

The balls are not supplied by the range. You have to bring your own balls and hire a caddy to stand down the range and collect them for you. Any lost balls are on you. I usually loose 2 or 3 balls each time. Of course I use old beaten up balls that are basically worthless.

sdfut.jpg

most courses around here I can walk for right around $20, and ride for less than $30... I think they are pretty reasonable...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

The balls are not supplied by the range. You have to bring your own balls and hire a caddy to stand down the range and collect them for you. Any lost balls are on you. I usually loose 2 or 3 balls each time. Of course I use old beaten up balls that are basically worthless.

The way I swing, I don't know that I have enough money to pay a caddy to stand down range. Sounds very cool though. I like the implied quiet. No ball machines or collecting tractors, all you hear is the crack of ball on club and the lamentations of the caddy.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

There's a ton of golf in my area, but the prices vary tremendously. Walking starts at around $18 for 18. Most of the courses I play frequently are in the $25-$30 range to walk. Of course, I also have both Saratoga National and the Sagamore less than an hour away. Both of those are over $100. Same with the Turning Stone courses (which are all beautiful - and in my estimation worth the money).

Country Club Memberships start at about $2200 on the low end, and upwards of $10,000 on the high end. It's not the membership that kills you though, it's always the food & beverage - and of course, the assessments.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

That's cool, like in the old days. I've heard a lot of Hogan stories where he would have his caddy hold out his hat or something and Hogan would hit it.

Junior prices are great. Mu Little Linker son gets $1 small range buckets and $5 rounds with Dad...

Yes, junior prices are great. Unfortunately, I have only one more year of them.

• SPY VIP

There's a ton of golf in my area, but the prices vary tremendously. Walking starts at around $18 for 18. Most of the courses I play frequently are in the $25-$30 range to walk. Of course, I also have both Saratoga National and the Sagamore less than an hour away. Both of those are over $100. Same with the Turning Stone courses (which are all beautiful - and in my estimation worth the money).

Country Club Memberships start at about $2200 on the low end, and upwards of $10,000 on the high end. It's not the membership that kills you though, it's always the food & beverage - and of course, the assessments.

I would join in a second if I could get in for $2200. Ours are more like 22000 to 100000 with the one closest to my house being even more expensive. Every time I drive by, it is empty too. I have the perfect schedule for CC golf, but no funds for the admission.

Volvo Intorqueo

In my hometown there are two main courses, a public course and the country club. The country club is $220 per month for a family membership along with any assessment that they set forth normally in June here. You also have your cost of the cart house.

The public course is $720 per year and that is unlimited golf and cart. It isn't a fabulous course, but for the price you pay it is the best deal around here.

• SPY VIP

In my hometown there are two main courses, a public course and the country club. The country club is $220 per month for a family membership along with any assessment that they set forth normally in June here. You also have your cost of the cart house.

The public course is $720 per year and that is unlimited golf and cart. It isn't a fabulous course, but for the price you pay it is the best deal around here.

$720 sounds like a great deal. A couple of the courses around here have annual passes, but they are about double that. Knowing that the golf was already paid for would be very cool. No loss if you only can slip out for a couple of holes after work.

Volvo Intorqueo

Golf in Oregon can get to be expensive. I hate to pay $50 to play what I feel is a $25 course. The problem lies in the fact that around here, there are not that many courses. I need to move.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

$720 sounds like a great deal. A couple of the courses around here have annual passes, but they are about double that. Knowing that the golf was already paid for would be very cool. No loss if you only can slip out for a couple of holes after work.

Oh yeah...I'm not going to complain at all. The $720 membership fee is great. I don't have to pay for a cart or anything. Basically, it is $22 a round at this course so if I play more than 3 times a month then I have paid for it and for me that isn't a problem as I play way more than that. Granted the course could be better, but it is fits the need.

• SPY VIP

Golf in Oregon can get to be expensive. I hate to pay $50 to play what I feel is a $25 course. The problem lies in the fact that around here, there are not that many courses. I need to move.

There is always Scottsdale. Although the OR to AZ transition could be a bit rough. When I lived in Phoenix, I was always amazed at the number of courses.

Volvo Intorqueo

Good to see another member in the central/upstate NY area... I hope some of the snow starts melting soon, I drive by 3 courses on the way to work every day, and it drives me nuts to not even be able to see grass out there...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

The monthly bill at my private club on the coast of SC is over $1000 most months.

It's well worth it and sure beats paying over $100 a round on the area's resort courses.

Why do I get the feeling that your club is absolutely beautiful?

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

It's pretty nice. B)

Wachesaw Plantation Club

Yep, beautiful. The real estate seems quite reasonable too. Granted my reference is wacky California.

Thanks for sharing.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived