Cost of golf in your area

PoorGolfer

In my hometown there are two main courses, a public course and the country club. The country club is $220 per month for a family membership along with any assessment that they set forth normally in June here. You also have your cost of the cart house.

The public course is $720 per year and that is unlimited golf and cart. It isn't a fabulous course, but for the price you pay it is the best deal around here.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SPY VIP

In my hometown there are two main courses, a public course and the country club. The country club is $220 per month for a family membership along with any assessment that they set forth normally in June here. You also have your cost of the cart house.

The public course is $720 per year and that is unlimited golf and cart. It isn't a fabulous course, but for the price you pay it is the best deal around here.

$720 sounds like a great deal. A couple of the courses around here have annual passes, but they are about double that. Knowing that the golf was already paid for would be very cool. No loss if you only can slip out for a couple of holes after work.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Golf in Oregon can get to be expensive. I hate to pay $50 to play what I feel is a $25 course. The problem lies in the fact that around here, there are not that many courses. I need to move.

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

$720 sounds like a great deal. A couple of the courses around here have annual passes, but they are about double that. Knowing that the golf was already paid for would be very cool. No loss if you only can slip out for a couple of holes after work.

Oh yeah...I'm not going to complain at all. The $720 membership fee is great. I don't have to pay for a cart or anything. Basically, it is $22 a round at this course so if I play more than 3 times a month then I have paid for it and for me that isn't a problem as I play way more than that. Granted the course could be better, but it is fits the need.

• SPY VIP

Golf in Oregon can get to be expensive. I hate to pay $50 to play what I feel is a $25 course. The problem lies in the fact that around here, there are not that many courses. I need to move.

There is always Scottsdale. Although the OR to AZ transition could be a bit rough. When I lived in Phoenix, I was always amazed at the number of courses.

Volvo Intorqueo

There's a ton of golf in my area, but the prices vary tremendously. Walking starts at around $18 for 18. Most of the courses I play frequently are in the $25-$30 range to walk. Of course, I also have both Saratoga National and the Sagamore less than an hour away. Both of those are over $100. Same with the Turning Stone courses (which are all beautiful - and in my estimation worth the money).

Country Club Memberships start at about $2200 on the low end, and upwards of $10,000 on the high end. It's not the membership that kills you though, it's always the food & beverage - and of course, the assessments.

Good to see another member in the central/upstate NY area... I hope some of the snow starts melting soon, I drive by 3 courses on the way to work every day, and it drives me nuts to not even be able to see grass out there...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

The monthly bill at my private club on the coast of SC is over $1000 most months.

It's well worth it and sure beats paying over $100 a round on the area's resort courses.

Why do I get the feeling that your club is absolutely beautiful?

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

It's pretty nice. B)

Wachesaw Plantation Club

Yep, beautiful. The real estate seems quite reasonable too. Granted my reference is wacky California.

Thanks for sharing.

Volvo Intorqueo

Golf is pretty pricey in Atlanta and used to be really bad. You can play an absolute train wreck of a course for $35 in the city and have a 5.5 hour round to boot. Sounds like fun.

I first moved to Atlanta in 2000 and thought I would probably take a couple years off from the game, then get some money together to join a club in the city and live happily ever after.

Talk about a pipe dream. From about 2000-2004, if you wanted to join a half decent club ANYWHERE in Atlanta you are probably looking at a $5-$50K initiation and then outrageous rates afterwards.

Problem was that they outpriced the golfing population and wound up going bankrupt. Now I've been able to capitalize on that because these courses have been bought out by a company.

Basically the way it's set up is that I pay $150 a monty, and then pay $25 for a cart and green fee every time I play. But, I have 23 courses to choose from.

Not bad.

I may be moving to Florida soon. I can get cheaper memberships there in the end, but I can only get one course to play.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

It's pretty nice. ;)

Wachesaw Plantation Club

A Myrtle Beacher in our forum, welcome, and yes, I have played your course, it's fantastic and certainly well maintained and staffed!

Our group is coming down in June and July this year, but it's the Big Cats for us this time!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

Yep, beautiful. The real estate seems quite reasonable too. Granted my reference is wacky California.

Thanks for sharing.

From what I see on HGTV you don't get much for $400-500K in California and some other parts of the country.

Having said that, our prices appear to be 2/3 of what they were four years ago and high end homes even worse. One home on 17 green was for sale for $1.4 mil in 2006, sold for almost 900K in 2008 and was recently sold again for around 700K. It's a beautiful house with a large home theater, gym and about everything else one could want. I wouldn't want to ave to pay the electric bill though. :rolleyes:

Semper Fi

My Club

A Myrtle Beacher in our forum, welcome, and yes, I have played your course, it's fantastic and certainly well maintained and staffed!

Our group is coming down in June and July this year, but it's the Big Cats for us this time!

When did you play WPC?

Semper Fi

My Club

I live in the Chicago suburbs and golf is (to me) fairly expensive. Many of the courses are $40+ for 18, with plenty being MUCH more. That said, there are so many courses that it's also possible to find plenty of good deals.

Isn't that weird? Please try to explain it to me because I haven't been able to rationalize paying more for golf here than I was in Arizona (which pretty much is the golf resort capital of the US).

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Isn't that weird? Please try to explain it to me because I haven't been able to rationalize paying more for golf here than I was in Arizona (which pretty much is the golf resort capital of the US).

I guess the explanation is simple supply and demand: there are enough people who are willing to pay those fees to keep the courses full. In terms of golf (and ONLY in terms of golf), I liked central Illinois better. I bought a pass that allowed me to play a decent course for a calendar year for $600.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I usually buy a season weekday pass. $300 for green fees/yr. $10-18 holes for the cart. Without a pass- Daily $18 bucks walking, $22 weekend walking. In the boonies in Utah.............

This sounds like a good deal. Not sure about the having to drive to Utah part :) , but I would play T/Th/F most weeks.

Volvo Intorqueo

It seems like with the state of the economy, more courses would be doing all they could to increase play. I know that around here, one of the local private clubs has lost over 35% of its members, and still has not reduced rates. I don't get it.

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

• SPY VIP

It seems like with the state of the economy, more courses would be doing all they could to increase play. I know that around here, one of the local private clubs has lost over 35% of its members, and still has not reduced rates. I don't get it.

We are seeing a bit of deals coming at the courses run by the same management company, but some have gone up too.

Entertainment book is good if you are at a riding course. Most of the 2 for 1 coupons have mandatory cart fees, for both players. Sort of kills the savings.

Some courses have free food deals packaged with drop in rates after 1. Come for lunch then play.

Volvo Intorqueo