Jump to content
GolfSpy MPR

PGA Tour Live on NBC Sports Gold

Recommended Posts

I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed about the move to NBC for the Tour's streaming coverage this year. My subscription ran out this morning, so I'm especially cranky.

Last year, an annual subscription was $40; with NBC, that cost has risen to $65, which is a substantial increase.

In addition, the Sunday streaming (at least so far) has all been featured holes coverage, which is especially dumb on Sunday. It also means that after the final group comes through the last featured hole, they cut the coverage.

For me, having the Tour up on my second monitor on Thursdays and Fridays has been customary for the past two years. Looks like this year, I'll watch the first hour that is free on Twitter, and that'll be it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, I paid the $65... wish I wouldn’t have. The lack of the broadcast coverage makes it worth about $1 to me. Too bad the big cable companies have a stranglehold on these networks. I’d gladly pay for golf channel streaming service.

Even the commentary is... meh.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention the shoddy camera work.. geesh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed about the move to NBC for the Tour's streaming coverage this year. My subscription ran out this morning, so I'm especially cranky.

Last year, an annual subscription was $40; with NBC, that cost has risen to $65, which is a substantial increase.

In addition, the Sunday streaming (at least so far) has all been featured holes coverage, which is especially dumb on Sunday. It also means that after the final group comes through the last featured hole, they cut the coverage.

For me, having the Tour up on my second monitor on Thursdays and Fridays has been customary for the past two years. Looks like this year, I'll watch the first hour that is free on Twitter, and that'll be it.

I happened to get in on the switch before the price increased to the full amount but I'm not happy either. First of all, they made the switch without any notice to current subscribers (at least I never saw it). I still had a couple of months left on my $40 subscription for PGA Tour Live from last year! Thankfully, it was refunded automatically via Apple. Secondly, NBC's apps suck. Every last stinkin' one of them! I never had any trouble at all with the original product, but the first time I tried to sign in for a tournament under the new setup I kept getting errors. It took a couple hours of periodic attempts using multiple devices before I got signed in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I snuck at $50 before the season started, back in early January. Helps my Thursday and Friday’s go smoother


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am overly disappointed in this service.  What crap.  Cut the features groups for two par 3 holes.  What a joke.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now they cut coverage 45 minutes early.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I paid for this stupid service. 3.5 hours of par 3’s with 2 of that being “coverage will resume shortly”

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If they cut it to $10, I MIGHT think about it. Until then, forget it.


Good call. I think I’m going to jump on the SlingTV 40% off for the first 3 months thing or whatever it is, so I can watch proper coverage of golf tournaments, and that’s it.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shankster said:

 


Good call. I think I’m going to jump on the SlingTV 40% off for the first 3 months thing or whatever it is, so I can watch proper coverage of golf tournaments, and that’s it.

 

With all the streaming options available these days, you could probably get through a month of free trials without paying anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pardon my ignorance... but who is this “Coach” guy that is commentating?  He should stick to coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got sick of it last year before the "switch".  It just wasn't worth the cash.  These subscription services popped up because we got tired of getting jerked around by cable/satellite providers.  Now they (subscription service providers) are starting to suck too.  I think I'm going to go pretend I can hit the ball like a pro.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 2:19 PM, Shankster said:

Pardon my ignorance... but who is this “Coach” guy that is commentating?  He should stick to coaching.

Their commentary has been horrendous. A couple interesting tidbits on green slopes and targets but when they cut to the studio I have to mute and minimize. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...