TESTERS WANTED! ×

ADAMS Irons (XTD/CMB) Fans

sumadoggie

Hey Adams fans (or anyone else who has an opinion).  I have a set (OK, 4 sets) of CMBs I've horded away for the future.  I've never played the XTDs, but have heard that they're a lot like the CMBs but basically longer.  While I don't need the length, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with boths sets and has a compare/contrast to share?  Head shape/dispersion/trajectory, etc.  Thanks!

I hit both many years ago and they are two very different clubs.  The XTDs  (not the XTD Forged) have a very large cavity/frame type structure that moves the weight lower and further back - which helps with increasing launch and lowering spin  - an equation for more distance.

The CMB is much more classic.  Smaller footprint, less offset, smaller topline.

The XTD forged is pretty much in the middle of the CMB and XTD.  It has a slightly larger cavity than the CMB, but is definitely easier to look at than the XTD.  The XTD forged also have the speed slot and some tungsten in the cavity, so definitely lends itself to more of a GI performance with a slightly smaller profile. 

In today's iron world, I would liken the CMB to the Titleist CB, the XTD Forged to the AP2 and the standard XTD to the AP1

I really enjoyed the xtd a tour irons when I got to hit them last year. Still insure when I will get to hit them again at this rate of snow! I thought they felt amazing and we're definitely a club longer than my previous DBM irons but that could have been due to loft.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Love the XTD Forged and still have a few sets of them hanging around. They are a bit longer than the CMBs but still retain the great feel. Only Adams set that was better IMO was the MB2s. I think I may be one of the few people that could build an entire Adams bag from Driver to Putter and heck I still have a Adams Tour bag to complete the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2019 at 1:35 PM, sumadoggie said:

"I have a set (OK, 4 sets) of CMBs I've horded away for the future"

That's what I'm talking about, still the best irons I've ever hit and can't imagine playing anything else to be fair. So, so soft.

910 D3, M3 3w, PXG 0211 4"h", Adams CMB 5-G, Vokey 6 52/56, PXG Dagger

On 2/21/2019 at 7:45 PM, sumadoggie said:

Nice description, thanks!  Yah, I meant the Forged version of the XTD.  I love the CMBs.  Whenever I see a set on eBay in very good condition, I have a hard time ignoring them.

Yeah I try and ignore them as well, it's hard. So good.

910 D3, M3 3w, PXG 0211 4"h", Adams CMB 5-G, Vokey 6 52/56, PXG Dagger