tony@CIC

Worst equipment mistakes you've made

Our Sponsors

Ok spies, time to come clean - what are the worst mistakes you've made in buying equipment? 

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

Bought a set of srixon 545s from ebay.  The posting was kind of bare, so I emailed they seller and he confirmed that they were stiff flex and standard everything else.

I bought them, but it turns out they were regular flex shafts and an inch over standard length.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 Plus Ping 9* VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

Probably not exactly what you're looking for.  I left my first set of clubs in a storage building when I left my childhood home at age 17, never to be seen again.  Still a bit bitter about it 25 years later!

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

I can honestly say all of my equipment I currently own. I wasn’t fitted for any of it. I’m sure the shafts are too something, grips are the wrong something, and the lie angle is the wrong angle.

But probably the worst was some Titleist irons I bought on eBay. I didn’t even look at them, they were supposed to be the 990B but they were the regular 990’s and had completely different shafts than the listing. Ended up liking them anyways, but it was right before my Taylormade set so I was golf dumb for several years.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Buying a Cameron from eBay that turned out to be a hackers project gone wrong. Two weeks of battle proving it wasn’t a factory Cameron and threat of law before I was refunded.

I still reported him so he wouldn’t scam someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

Great idea for a thread.

I fell for the whole white driver craze a few years back. Bought an Adams Speedline Super LS driver solely because of the white crown and black face. Really was a sexy club. Couldn't hit it to save my life, though. When I finally bought a used Cobra AMP for cheap last summer, my driving ability went up significantly without much change to my swing.

Knowing what I know now, I should have bought the Adams S driver which was the more forgiving of the two offerings from Adams in that line. I know both were in the shop for roughly the same price, but that was also my first adjustable driver, so I think that's ultimately why I chose the Super LS.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 25, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra x Vessel SpeedZone Stand Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

After a day of golf and a night of drinking bought a driver from a late night informercial.  Iron Byron crushed this driver further than every other driver they compared it to.  Had to have it, lasted 2 rounds in my bag.  I wish I could remember the name of it.

• Like 5

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

When I first got into golf, I bought a couple of different "strong" 3 woods (the 13° kind). Took some time to realize that those sticks aren't designed to be used by ordinary mortals.

• Like 9

:callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero, 10.5°, Project X EvenFlow Blue 65
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:ping-small: G700 5–PW, blue dot, Modus3 105
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab R Ball, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

4 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

After a day of golf and a night of drinking bought a driver from a late night informercial.  Iron Byron crushed this driver further than every other driver they compared it to.  Had to have it, lasted 2 rounds in my bag.  I wish I could remember the name of it.

Reminds me of when my wife's grandmother passed away. She was an avid golfer up to a few months before her passing. When we went through her golf bag, we found she had purchased a Hammer driver from the late night infomercial on the Golf Channel.

My mother-in-law still has the club. I should borrow it sometime this summer for some range fun.

• Like 8

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow

Have bought and traded lots of clubs over the years.

Worst would have to be something that was pretty short lived.

Hybrids - went though a bunch until I tried the titleist ones. We’re total hook machines with the worst being the Hogan’s.

Putters - this is my weakness, I love putters so I have gone through a lot. The worst for me would probably be a Seemore putter, the RST works, but would require significant changes to my putting stroke to make it be effective.

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Pretty much every hybrid I've even owned, I could hook every single one of them 2 fairways over. Other than that, I'd say the cheapo 64* wedge that I couldn't hit now, and I certainly couldn't hit it when I was a 20 handicap. 

• Like 5

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

So this was a few years back, but I made the mistake of buying the Calloway c4 Driver. This was while the Taylormade 200, Cleveland launcher era. The Calloway c4 had a carbon fiber head. It was ... you know the sales pitch.... it sounded like you were hitting something from outer space. It was a dead driver. It went no where. I regret every red cent I spent on that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Easy one for me. When I got the bug for this funny little game back in mid-2017, I didn't have a whole lot of $ to spend. Found an old PING TiSi staff bag and filled it with a set of i3 woods (D, 3, 5 & 7) and a set of Karsten III irons. Awful stuff really. I immediately began selling all of it off to upgrade to gear from at least the early 2010's....Though the G driver I had I really hated because of the sound it made...my ears bleed just remembering it....

• Like 4

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

57 minutes ago, edingc said:

Reminds me of when my wife's grandmother passed away. She was an avid golfer up to a few months before her passing. When we went through her golf bag, we found she had purchased a Hammer driver from the late night infomercial on the Golf Channel.

My mother-in-law still has the club. I should borrow it sometime this summer for some range fun.

Why limit the use of the Hammer to the range?  Get that thing out on the course and share your thoughts with all of us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Okay, while I was fitted for my current driver, I don't feel that I was properly fitted...but I went through with the purchase anyway. I think that it's really hard to find a good fitter, and I hate being fit in an indoor hitting bay, I just don't believe those numbers that come up on their screen. With all that said, I usually find myself choking down on the grip in order to make club shorter and stiffer. It's my dream to go to Canada and get a full bag fitting from Ian at TXG.

• Like 7

In my ATumSBM.jpg Silencer

:cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size

SONARTEC 3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

Gigagolf.com - TXR Hybrid: 3H, UST Proforce V2 S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

:ping-small: G 2016, 4-PW, AWT 2.0 S-flex, +1/2", black dot, with Super Stroke - Soft Wrap TC

:titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D

:EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft

:Snell: MTB-X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope

I've been fortunate to not have many bad choices. Although many purchases over the years most have been decent, if I was the pick the worst it would have to be the fly z hybrid. I loved the driver and figured it would be a great partner to it. It felt so hard and just didn't for work me at all... A close second would be the Nike vrs covert 2.0 tour driver. Loved the look and color, but just wasnt built for me when it came to forgiveness. Was a rocket out there middle and sounded amazing, however off center oh boy!

Edited by Apolloshowl
  • Like 4

⛳🛄 as of May 14, 2020

SWING SPEED- 100

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

17 minutes ago, Apolloshowl said:

I've been fortunate to not have many bad choices. Although many purchases over the years most have been decent, if I was the pick the worst it would have to be the fly z hybrid. I loved the driver and figured it would be a great partner to it. It felt so hard and just didn't for work me at all... A close second would be the Nike vrs covert 2.0 tour driver. Loved the look and color, but just wasnt built for me when it came to forgiveness. Was a rocket out there middle and sounded amazing, however off center oh boy!

Seeing a bit of a trend here with hybrids being mentioned fairly often...interesting...I guess I'm not the only one to not get along so well with them. I have a G-Series 3H that I re-shafted and can't hit it at all now.😡 So this one may be a bigger boner for me than my my first, ugly set mentioned above...

• Like 4

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

7 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Seeing a bit of a trend here with hybrids being mentioned fairly often...interesting...I guess I'm not the only one to not get along so well with them. I have a G-Series 3H that I re-shafted and can't hit it at all now.😡 So this one may be a bigger boner for me than my my first, ugly set mentioned above...

It's also why I'm stupid excited for the 410 crossover. Hoping it will finally be the perfect bridge between 4 iron and 3 wood. 

I could also put several other clubs in that gap which haven't made the cut ... Adams dhy, rogue 5 wood (currently best option), titleist tmb 2 iron, Cobra f7 6-7 wood cranked down, other hybrids. Just a tough spot to fill and most clubs I get to fill it haven't worked out and are more disappointing then playable for me. Rather then a club, that's been a spot which has provided the most poor purchases. 

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of May 14, 2020

SWING SPEED- 100

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

1 hour ago, Apolloshowl said:

It's also why I'm stupid excited for the 410 crossover. Hoping it will finally be the perfect bridge between 4 iron and 3 wood. 

I could also put several other clubs in that gap which haven't made the cut ... Adams dhy, rogue 5 wood (currently best option), titleist tmb 2 iron, Cobra f7 6-7 wood cranked down, other hybrids. Just a tough spot to fill and most clubs I get to fill it haven't worked out and are more disappointing then playable for me. Rather then a club, that's been a spot which has provided the most poor purchases. 

I may have to try one of those cross-overs myself. Keep us posted on when and how you do with them and the other options for sure!

• Like 2

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

2 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Yup, I could have added two Tour Edge Hot Launch 2 hybrids I bought last summer when I was down on my game. Now, I don't think there was anything wrong with those particular hybrids, but I just don't get along with hybrids period. Something about them just gets into my head.

• Like 1