Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Worst equipment mistakes you've made

tony@CIC

I hope the iron-wood I just ordered today does not become one of my mistakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

I was obsessed with the M1 when they first came out and wanted one so bad, so bright minded me decided that r15 is also made by taylormade so I should go with that cause it's cheaper. Not a bad club but thinking back my decision making process was seriously flawed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Easily the Callaway Epic Pro irons that stayed in the bag for about a month. Loved them on the range and hated them on the course. I was fortunate that I got pretty much what I paid for them when I dumped them. To say how bad they were was that I actually sold clubs that I had purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

What mistakes?  I purchased my current set of PE2's in 1988 and it has been bliss ever since. 😍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

For me it was the Scotty Cameron Newport putter. Everyone who had game played a Scotty so without testing I took the leap of faith. In my hands it was horrible......by far the worse putter I’d ever owned. I tried changing grips, weights and even putting style but nothing worked. I finally trashed it for an EVNROLL and haven’t looked back.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

All the clubs purchased after 10pm 🥃

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Wow - my answer could easily be so long that there would be no room left on the site.

Certainly any set of irons I purchased post Nicklaus Ironmax (and I lucked into those) until the current G30’s.

The worst though has to be the Taylor Made Burner. I was chasing distance and my pro at the time said - “Oh you’ll hit this a mile.” True but the thing had a closed face and I had never seen that before - I hit it a mile all over the place.

It lasted in my bag for two weeks and was replaced by one of my best club decisions.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Believing in the lie board (and sadly, retail fittings) was my worst mistake. It was many years ago but I learned a valuable lesson out of it. Impact tape on the sole doesn't tell you anything. They just kept wrenching it more upright trying to get the sole tape to move the strike point away from the toe and I just kept hitting it further and further left. Ended up with a beautiful set of 990Bs that were 3 up and +1" that I couldn't keep on the planet. Sold them for a big loss in under a month.
Fit for ball flight folks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

All the clubs purchased after 10pm

Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t.

Okay, most times it doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

8 hours ago, gaussman1 said:

Believing in the lie board (and sadly, retail fittings) was my worst mistake. It was many years ago but I learned a valuable lesson out of it. Impact tape on the sole doesn't tell you anything. They just kept wrenching it more upright trying to get the sole tape to move the strike point away from the toe and I just kept hitting it further and further left. Ended up with a beautiful set of 990Bs that were 3 up and +1" that I couldn't keep on the planet. Sold them for a big loss in under a month.
Fit for ball flight folks.

Your experience with the lie board/tape is interesting.  When I attended a Ping Demo last year about this time, they fitted me to green dot (which turns out to be the same lie I was fitted for over 30 years ago).  They used lie boards both times. This past summer, I was fitted for irons and they used physical floor to wrist measurement, launch monitor data and lie board/tape once again. 

This method of club fitting seems to have been around for some time now. Might the person doing your fitting just have done a poor job?  Considering the price of clubs, your results would be a real pisser.  The fact that I'm getting consistent measurement results, from different fitters, gives me some confidence moving forward in any new iron purchase.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Your experience with the lie board/tape is interesting.  When I attended a Ping Demo last year about this time, they fitted me to green dot (which turns out to be the same lie I was fitted for over 30 years ago).  They used lie boards both times. This past summer, I was fitted for irons and they used physical floor to wrist measurement, launch monitor data and lie board/tape once again. 
This method of club fitting seems to have been around for some time now. Might the person doing your fitting just have done a poor job?  Considering the price of clubs, your results would be a real pisser.  The fact that I'm getting consistent measurement results, from different fitters, gives me some confidence moving forward in any new iron purchase.  
Keep in mind we're talking about 20 years ago. Fitting was a lie board and a net. The real issue with the lie board is that all it can tell you is how you sole the club through impact, but not really how you deliver into the ball. As someone who delivers a little inside out and shut I'm already afraid of losing it left. Bending the club more upright (and adding +1") increases the tendency to turn the ball over. So by focusing only on the sole tape they were exaggerating my bad shot.
I feel like launch monitors have pretty much resolved this issue.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I sold my R11 just because. Back in 2014 bought a Big Bertha, and didn’t think I’d need a backup. Few years later broke my shaft on my driver and had to hit 3W due to not having a backup

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Now that we have a few of the worst choices actually purchased out there... Is there any equipment that you regret not buying?

For me it is that I still havent gone through the process to get a fitted evnroll... Would love to, but between price and loving my ping putter have yet to pull the trigger. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I would say that I regret not having every been fit for a putter but I just did this, this past week. Not an evnroll but I ended up with a new Scotty Cameron square back. I also got some really great tips to practice with my putting

Now that we have a few of the worst choices actually purchased out there... Is there any equipment that you regret not buying?
For me it is that I still havent gone through the process to get a fitted evnroll... Would love to, but between price and loving my ping putter have yet to pull the trigger. 

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I now have 3 #3 hybrids that I bought at different times, and I cannot hit any of them except at the range.

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft

2 hours ago, RoverRick said:

I let a guy hit my driver one time and he sliced one over the club house and broke the window of my car. Does that count?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wow... That is terrible and yes I'd vote to let that count 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Any equipment that I regret not buying? Of course but then it would just have gone into the earlier section

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So this story has a happy ending. A few years back I got a set of Adams CC1 Irons designed with Chad Campbell. I made the mistake of selling them to a friend. A few years past and I finally have them back. I forgot how badly I missed them. So glad they are back in my bag!

I let a guy hit my driver one time and he sliced one over the club house and broke the window of my car. Does that count?

That definitely counts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the new Taylormade M5 driver Wednesday as I was hitting it really well in the store.   We went through different shafts both stiff and regular and  three drivers to include the M6 and the Ping G410.  Played today and I hit  three good drives with it.  I hope I get it dialed in because if not, this could be sad..... 😥

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I picked up the new Taylormade M5 driver Wednesday as I was hitting it really well in the store.   We went through different shafts both stiff and regular and  three drivers to include the M6 and the Ping G410.  Played today and I hit  three good drives with it.  I hope I get it dialed in because if not, this could be sad..... 

You’ll pull it together ole gray! Hang in there.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

17 minutes ago, ole gray said:

I picked up the new Taylormade M5 driver Wednesday as I was hitting it really well in the store.   We went through different shafts both stiff and regular and  three drivers to include the M6 and the Ping G410.  Played today and I hit  three good drives with it.  I hope I get it dialed in because if not, this could be sad..... 😥

They always hit well until the check clears 🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

15 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

You’ll pull it together ole gray! Hang in there.

Yea first day with it and hopped on the tee without any warm up.   Lot's of tuning up to do and then we shall see how this dawg hunts.  I think maybe I was trying just a little to hard today to pure it.  My tempo was waaaaay too quick which throws a wrench into everything. I'm heading back out tomorrow for round two...

Cleveland

4 minutes ago, CarlH said:

They always hit well until the check clears 🙂

Absolutely and if you're buying a putter, you hole everything you look at in the store.   It's like they put a magnet in the hole. 😳

Cleveland

Yea first day with it and hopped on the tee without any warm up.   Lot's of tuning up to do and then we shall see how this dawg hunts.  I think maybe I was trying just a little to hard today to pure it.  My tempo was waaaaay too quick which throws a wrench into everything. I'm heading back out tomorrow for round two...

Oh you lucky dawg...I may need to book a trip down to see you and nice weather.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Taylormade R11S driver.... Yuck. Never worked for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink: