Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Worst equipment mistakes you've made

tony@CIC

On 3/23/2024 at 9:02 AM, Greg Schmitz said:

So I'm going to be 55 this summer and had a torn labrum fixed in January. Do graphite shafts really make a big difference? I'm at the point that I need my body more than I need to beat myself up playing golf.

I hit graphite for the first time at my last fitting and was sold immediately. If you don't always hit the center -- I certainly don't -- it really makes a difference.

🪵 --> :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke Max D/3w/7w | Tensei Blue 65
🧲 --> :srixon-small: MkII ZX4 | Recoil F3
🎯 --> :cleveland-small: CBX 4 ZipCore | Stock
⛳ --> :odyssey-small: Ai-ONE Seven S | Stroke Lab SL90
⚽ --> :srixon-small: Q Star [or whatever else comes along]

On 2/28/2024 at 6:19 AM, jazz15c said:

Going into pretty much every golf store in a 50 mile radius and finding no left handed clubs has led to a LOT of eBay guesses...and misses! None of these are bad clubs; they were just bad for me. 

SLDR driver - rocketship out of the center; not so much anywhere else...FORE LEFT! 
Srixon ZX5 3H with a Hazrdus Black shaft - good club but shaft felt like a scaffold pole; what was I thinking? 
TM SIM DHY - Couldn't even hit my 5 iron, but thought a 3 iron DHY would be peachy for me. No. Just...NO. 
Cobra RadSpeed OneLength hybrid - so bad for me that I bought it TWICE. Couldn't get the thing more than 10 feet off the ground. 

Basically, a lot of clubs in the space that is now filled quite happily by my 5 & 7 wood, who are both wondering what all the fuss was about 🤣

Amen on the SLDR. You hit is square, absolutely a mistle launcher. Anywhere else on the face, good luck finding that shot. It lasted around 3 weeks in my bag. 

D-  Titleist  TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w - Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB - Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons - 4-PW Takomo 101T w/ KBS Tour Stiff 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

So last year, I decided (arbitrarily) that my driver flight was way too high. Playing in the muddy PNW and getting no roll (unless you count 1-foot of backspin) finally cracked me. I had only just swapped out the Stiff HZRDUS shaft I had on my 9* SIM Max for an X-Stiff Accra shaft when I decided lower lift was in order and then put an 8* Stealth 2 Plus head on the Accra shaft… without even testing it. Between the shaft change, the loft change, and the lower spin due to the design of the Stealth… well let’s just say it was a BAD year off the tee.

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

My current set of irons are not what I need. I was dumb and being cheap, so I bought late model TaylorMades from Dunhams. The salesperson knew almost nothing about golf and basically just allowed me into a room with a hitting mat & net to bang balls. I didn't do any research (had not yet discovered MGS) or had ever been fitted, so while I bought the correct type of head (game improvement), I didn't have anyone catching my other errors. I have a faster swing so I bought regular instead of stiff shafts. I also misunderstood the "high launch" edition of these clubs thinking it was for golfers like me who tend to thin irons, not understanding that they're adjusted for slower swing speeds (the opposite of me).

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

I constantly do this....I just "built" a new driver based on what I think I need. I was fitted, but the performance was never there after I left the bay. I love doing this, however if my wife ever find out how much I spend fitting myself....oof

image.png.702001ca19ba55f2a1ca32610c99752e.pngUSMC Veteran and Weekend Golfer

image.png.a88615aa1dc2ff3464a9f6eba8f8c357.pngCallaway Rogue ST Max 9 degree Driver; Baddazz 60g S

image.png.fc0d250b295cac2c9a0f47aa369c2b96.pngCallaway Epic Max 3 and 5 woods

image.png.bcf13f4bf775adb3a56fd3df40d0ea0e.png Titleist T300; C Taper Lite 105R

image.png.f87968f7ac02b80c1d756215bf1d4f5c.png Cleveland Zipcore 54 and 58

image.png.3538cead307819c04e33f42f9a56c878.png Scotty Newport Special Select 2 33 inch

I blindly just buy what I think I need and make it work. Then I get on the monitor to fit it to me. My iron specs haven’t changed for years but the woods have been a rollercoaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years back in Spain on a spring camp in changing location some 400 k to another town…

As I packed my bag into a travel case, did not check all the clubs were in the bag. On arrival found out few irons were missing in the middle.

Had a competition on the way few days ahead and rushed to a golf shop to buy replacements. Nothing that could fit my clubs and fill the gap.

Bought a set of Titleist AP2-712s and took them out onto the range same night. Could not hit the ball pure with them, yet same shafts and ”same” everything. Total crap of a club that!

No feedback on impact, and the feel was as I was trying to hit a golf ball with a matchbox. The sound was a hollow ”klop” and the ball flight was questionable.

Played in a comp the next day after a sleepless night and scored a pretty respectable 78 with them.

Sold them off in two weeks for half the price payed for and returned back to the clubs I used before, Mizuno MP-60.

Lesson learned, keep better care of your gear and never buy any club by other people’s oppinions.

If there is a risk, take it! AND RECOVER the best you can!

On 2/22/2019 at 8:31 AM, tony@CIC said:

Ok spies, time to come clean - what are the worst mistakes you've made in buying equipment? 

Almost never a "mistake" in buying equipment lol. I will say that buying equipment off the shelf has become a mistake of mine. After getting fitted and learning how much that it affects your game, I will not buy anything stock again. (Unless it fits of course) Biggg promoter of more gear though. Just gives you all the more reason to golf and test equipment.

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

On 2/27/2019 at 4:26 AM, RoverRick said:

I let a guy hit my driver one time and he sliced one over the club house and broke the window of my car. Does that count?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Could be a scene in a movie lol

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

Bought and sold the same set of irons.....three times.  This goes back about 15+ years.  I bought a set of Precept Tour Premium Forged irons with S400 shafts.  Same irons played by Stuart Appleby.  I loved them!  But being the club ***** I am, I sold them.....bought them again.....sold them again......and bought them again.  If you're thinking.......This guy is an idiot.  Yes......Yes, I am.  

Look what I just found on eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/166440429600?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1XA86UI31REO8etZWSeVWug59&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=166440429600&targetid=1587262744497&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9018571&poi=&campaignid=19894961968&mkgroupid=148855406073&rlsatarget=pla-1587262744497&abcId=9307911&merchantid=101707145&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw8diwBhAbEiwA7i_sJf-9GVXsgQOpzfWqjVsiJGgnFo0CY5VIVSIbqjy4yLRcs02kOu38RhoCdyQQAvD_BwE

I gotta run.......Need to call my therapist.

The A Bag:

TM Stealth 2 10.5º KBS TD 60S 44.5"  :taylormade-small:

TM Stealth 2 16.5º Ventus Red  :taylormade-small:

TM Stealth Plus 6 wood - Loft set to 18.8º Ventus Red  :taylormade-small:

TM Stealth 2 Rescue 22º Ventus Red  :taylormade-small:

TM P790 5-P DG 120 S300  :truetemper:

Vokey 50, 56 and 60  :vokey-small:

Bettinardi BB-1 34"  :bettinardi-small: