Kwoodfield

Mixed Bag - Opinions Wanted

Ok everyone. Been a long time since I have played a mixed bag of equipment but the more and more I play lately I feel that I missing the “IT” factor. I have played Taylormade top to bottom, Cleveland, mizuno, and Titleist (thanks to different jobs in the golf industry) Well its been 6 years since I have worked in the industry and a lot has changed. Haven’t really been fitted (or fit myself) for anything in a while.

I feel that each company has started to develop their own niche market. Cobra seems to be in the thick of things for drivers again, and so forth.

So my question stands as this. If you were putting together a mixed set of current equipment what are you looking at and why?

“Sometimes the biggest problem is in your head. You’ve Got to believe.”

Jack Nicklaus

I go by fitting... I really don’t care what brand I play in any category. I’ve tried Titleist in drivers, irons, wedges, etc. Same for Callaway, Mizuno, TaylorMade, etc, it just doesn’t matter, and I hardly have EVER had one brand total in my bag. That to me is not looking for my best game, or potential. I don’t even care what ball I play, or glove, etc. I want performance, and I don’t care where I get it.

There is one caveat where bags are considered.... I can’t have a bag that has a club brand on it and NOT have a club of that brand in that bag! Gotta have at least one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

I’ve never had a one brand total in my bag, but I am the closest I’ve ever been in the current bag I have. The only not PING is my wood, hybrid and wedges. Oh and my putter, but that’ll never be anything other than EVNROLL. I used to play Titleist drivers, but just recently switched to PING. Irons have been Tommy Armour, Knockoff King Cobra, PING, Knockoff Titleist MB/CB Combo, and back to PING. I’ve been fit for one Titleist driver, and the current PING driver. And fit for both sets of PING irons.
By the way, am I the only one that doesn’t always trust a fitting? I just feel like there are times when the person doesn’t care or know as much as I think they should.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

First off, getting fitted is the best thing you can do. A fitting will eliminate any preconceptions you have and put the best clubs in your hands. Like you say, "Cobra seems to be in he thick of the driver market.", maybe for some, but maybe for you, it spins too much and you lose 20 yards. You'll never know unless you get fitted. 

It depends on your level of talent. Reading your post I think you and I share a commonality with golf work experience.

For a better player I’d go Mizuno irons, PING driver, Titleist or Cobra fairway, Cleveland or Titleist wedges and an Odyssey Stroke lab putter.

Good luck.

7 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

I’ve never had a one brand total in my bag, but I am the closest I’ve ever been in the current bag I have. The only not PING is my wood, hybrid and wedges. Oh and my putter, but that’ll never be anything other than EVNROLL. I used to play Titleist drivers, but just recently switched to PING. Irons have been Tommy Armour, Knockoff King Cobra, PING, Knockoff Titleist MB/CB Combo, and back to PING. I’ve been fit for one Titleist driver, and the current PING driver. And fit for both sets of PING irons.
By the way, am I the only one that doesn’t always trust a fitting? I just feel like there are times when the person doesn’t care or know as much as I think they should.

On the fitting part I can somewhat agree with you. Depends on the fitter and the place of business. If the big box stores are anything like the ones around here no. I am blessed with being in the business formerly I can build and fit my own stuff. If I was not such blessed and was going to spend the money for fitting and clubs I would go to an independant shop that specializes in component clubs ie: Wishon Miura KZG etc and go from there. Those 3 companies are real choosy about who their dealers are. If one gets in with a good fitter and gets to know them they can update when they need to for newer clubs. 

Guys thanks for the input, but before this turns into a go get fit thread. All I am curious of is, if you were currently building a mixed bag for you what are you getting??

I have worked in the golf industry for many years, done probably more than 1000 fittings. I know all about the mizuno shaft analysis setup, I have used foresight and trackman to fit, etc. My question isn’t about getting fit, my question is what equipment is actually great in your eyes, and what is just trendy?

For example if the general consensus is the m5/6 is terrible I wouldn’t waste my time looking at it later..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kwoodfield said:

Guys thanks for the input, but before this turns into a go get fit thread. All I am curious of is, if you were currently building a mixed bag for you what are you getting??

I have worked in the golf industry for many years, done probably more than 1000 fittings. I know all about the mizuno shaft analysis setup, I have used foresight and trackman to fit, etc. My question isn’t about getting fit, my question is what equipment is actually great in your eyes, and what is just trendy?

For example if the general consensus is the m5/6 is terrible I wouldn’t waste my time looking at it later..

If I had to pick I'd go with,

F9  9.0 Atmos Black 70S

PXG 3W

PING G410 3 iron crossover 3* strong and 1/2 inch long (trying to make a 2 iron)

PING I210 4-W OR Titleist 718 AP2 Black 

PING Glide 2.0 50-54-58

(couldn't ever change my putter)

• Like 1

I am always playing a mixed bag. Currently.

Titleist TS3 or F9 (on the fence)
Titleist TS2 - just a classic FW
GAPR Hi 19*
Srixon U65 20* (this and the gapr are similar length but completely different flights)
Mizuno 919 forged irons 5-P
SM7 50/54
CBX 58
ER2

5 hours ago, Kwoodfield said:

My question isn’t about getting fit, my question is what equipment is actually great in your eyes, and what is just trendy?

My feeling is that most major brands have strengths and weaknesses but depending on the year and the individual players needs anyone of them may fit you.  I don't think you will find a general consensus that only particular club is bad.

For me I would say the following:

Drivers: After testing the drivers in 2019 most wanted, they are all good.  I felt like if I picked anyone of them off the shelf I could get good performance and if I matched up a shaft I might get even better.  

Fairway woods:  Tour Edge Exotic.   Very underrated,   but always one of the best money can buy.

Hybrids: I am partial to anything Titleist puts out.  Fell in love with them a few years ago and they always seem to work for me.  

Irons:  Most irons are good and you probably wouldn't go wrong with anything you put in your bag.  

Wedges:  I am terrible with partial wedges so I haven't a clubs what should be in my bag so I am not recommending anything 🙂

Putter:  Most putters are good as well.  Just finished 2019 Most wanted blade putters.   If you don't hit the center of the face Evnroll or Ping would be good options.   In most cases as long as the putter works for you it is what you should put in your bag.   I am in the putter market, just because I want something new, and everything I am trying is of good quality.  I seem to prefer putters that are a little hotter off the face since I tend to leave the ball short.

• Like 2

Fitting for sure. What fits my style of play, tendencies and swing the best. Currently hitting Taylormade woods, Srixon irons, Cleveland wedges and a ping putter with a Taylormade ball.

I don’t believe that just one brand will be the best fit for everyone.

I am going to try the Epic Flash but it will be hard to knock the G400 out of the bag. My 917 3 wood isn't going anywhere. I am looking for new irons and currently playing Srixon 545. The 585 are definitely on the radar but I would like to try the new Apex and Mizzy 919 also. 

Hybrid is where I am struggling. Currently playing a 818 but not entirely confident in it. 

Ball should be the Z Star but have been experimenting with the Vice Pro and OnCore Elixir. Also, really interested in trying the MTB-X and the new TP5. 

• Like 1

I’ve really been looking into the new cobra driver and 3 wood. But I’ve heard great things about the new ping and callaway equipment the last few years. Taylormade is a gimmick to me. I am so torn on irons. Seems like there is so much good stuff out. I am interested in the cobra cb/mb, ping i200, Redbird avian 530, and new srixon irons (the number escapes me at the moment). Wedges I’m not changing. I still play my scratch DS 50*, 54*, 58* that have been refinished a few times. Can’t take them out. Too pretty and too reliable. My putter is probably in the same boat. Been putting with a Scotty Circa 62 model 2, and a Yes! Pro Platinum Dawn for quite a bit. But do have some interest in the Evnroll and Scotty 5.5.

Current bag with lots of tinkering is Ping G400 driver, Tour Edge Exotics EXS fairway wood, Cobra F9 hybrids, Ping G400 irons, Vokey wedges, and an Evnroll ER1 putter.

• Like 1

What putter were you using before the er-1. What improvement did you see?

I played a mixed set most of my golfing life with the exception of college (4 years). I enjoy finding the best of the best for me. Getting fit is important and having an open mind to what your fitted for.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:25 PM, PMookie said:

There is one caveat where bags are considered.... I can’t have a bag that has a club brand on it and NOT have a club of that brand in that bag! Gotta have at least one...

I'm the same - a friend has a few year old Titleist bag I really like, but couldn't get one since I have no Titleist clubs. I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

• Like 1

I've done alot of tinkering with my set up. I finally have full confidence that my bag is perfect for me!

Drver: Taylormade M2 2017
3W: Callaway Epic Sub Zero
3 iron: Taylormade P790
4-pw: Mizuno MP-18SC
50: Vokey F grind
55: Vokey S grind
60: Taylormade Hi-Toe
Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3
Ball: Prov 1 2017

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

So here’s what I am currently gaming because statistically I can’t find anything better yet..

Dr - Mizuno GT180 (Hate the blue)
3w - mizuno GT180 TS 14.5*
3h - Adams Super LS Prototype - 19*
Irons - Adams CC1 Black
Wedges - Scratch 50,54,58 DS chrome (refinished a few times :))
Putter - Yes Pro Platinum Dawn or Scotty Circa 62 #2

I am probably in the market for a new driver, 3W, & 3H and going back to Black for me a must. I can’t do the color any more.