Kwoodfield

Mixed Bag - Opinions Wanted

Driver, irons, and wedges are Titleist. Cobra FW, Adams hybrid, and Odyssey #7 putter. All in Ping bag. Does that make me a bad person?

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yes, yes it does

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I were to compile a mixed bag it'd probably look like this as of right now:

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback

Fairway: Titliest TS2

Hybrid/Utility: Taylormade P790

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4i & 5i) & Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (6i - PW)

Wedges: Vokey SM7

Putter: Honestly, I wouldn't change my current putter. If I had to though, I'd probably look at something like the new TM Spyder.

Guys thanks for the input, but before this turns into a go get fit thread. All I am curious of is, if you were currently building a mixed bag for you what are you getting??

I have worked in the golf industry for many years, done probably more than 1000 fittings. I know all about the mizuno shaft analysis setup, I have used foresight and trackman to fit, etc. My question isn’t about getting fit, my question is what equipment is actually great in your eyes, and what is just trendy?

For example if the general consensus is the m5/6 is terrible I wouldn’t waste my time looking at it later..

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nice job! For whatever reason we didn’t properly get your original point and you reeled us back in a reasoned manner.

I like my bag right now so it would be a similar iteration.

By now I know that Ping/Mizuno work for me as driver brands so that’s where I would start.

Tour exotics/Cobra for fairway and hybrid

Ping/Wilson/ irons although I’d like to give sub 70 a try.

Hogan wedges (and nothing else)

EVNRoll putter

So I would have a mixed bag - always have.

• Like 1

The only random setup I would struggle with would be having both Callaway and TM at the same time. I don't know why but that would feel weird to me. Other than that I usually have a mixed bag and it usually looks like this

Driver, 3 wood from one of the big 3- Callaway, TM or Ping. 3 wood could be from anyone

Hybrid from whoever

Irons from Srixon or Mizzy

Wedges either Vokeys or Callaway. I struggle with Cleveland and Ping wedges fsr

If I look back last 10 years my bag is some version of the above.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 2/22/2019 at 7:44 PM, Kwoodfield said:

Ok everyone. Been a long time since I have played a mixed bag of equipment but the more and more I play lately I feel that I missing the “IT” factor. I have played Taylormade top to bottom, Cleveland, mizuno, and Titleist (thanks to different jobs in the golf industry) Well its been 6 years since I have worked in the industry and a lot has changed. Haven’t really been fitted (or fit myself) for anything in a while.

I feel that each company has started to develop their own niche market. Cobra seems to be in the thick of things for drivers again, and so forth.

So my question stands as this. If you were putting together a mixed set of current equipment what are you looking at and why?

“Sometimes the biggest problem is in your head. You’ve Got to believe.”

Jack Nicklaus

I look primarily at feel.  I am not brand loyal.  I have had every manufacture in my bag at some point or another.  When it is time to make a purchase...lets say irons, I will go out and hit as many companies as I can get my hands on in that certain category such as players irons.  I first look for feel, meaning which ones feel the best to me.  I then will look at the numbers and ball flight.  Lastly, is how they look.  As you can see below, I have a pretty big mix of clubs in my bag now. 

I recently went for a driver fitting and hit every driver out there.  I WANTED the new Cobra however the best one for me was the Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero.  I have never needed nor wanted a matching set.  Companies like Taylor Made and Callaway come out with too many clubs too quickly.  I love how Titleist will keep the same clubs for two years then come out with new stuff.    

• Like 1

Ping g400lst - love it

callaway 3-wood and hybrid - meh... but they’re 2015. Next to be upgraded to?

TM p790 4-pw - growing on me more and more

sub70 wedges - liking them a lot

er3- money...

For the first time in my life my bag has been solid.......one OEM, Cobra.

The Cobra Connect Challenge filled out my bag from top to bottom with Cobra F8’s, except for putter. This included the bag! I am comfortable and confident with it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

On 2/24/2019 at 9:25 AM, Kwoodfield said:

I’ve really been looking into the new cobra driver and 3 wood. But I’ve heard great things about the new ping and callaway equipment the last few years. Taylormade is a gimmick to me. I am so torn on irons. Seems like there is so much good stuff out. I am interested in the cobra cb/mb, ping i200, Redbird avian 530, and new srixon irons (the number escapes me at the moment). Wedges I’m not changing. I still play my scratch DS 50*, 54*, 58* that have been refinished a few times. Can’t take them out. Too pretty and too reliable. My putter is probably in the same boat. Been putting with a Scotty Circa 62 model 2, and a Yes! Pro Platinum Dawn for quite a bit. But do have some interest in the Evnroll and Scotty 5.5.

OK I have to know.. You from the Seattle area? Since Redbird are made here. And very few people ever bring up their name.. My $.02 worth is if you can't get fit, try out what you can, figure out what looks good to you, and what gives you confidence. I love my Cobra Hybrids.. I carry 2, a 19* and a 22* the rails make them amazing to hit and almost automatic.. look at them.. 

Edited by Reesedw

No sir. As I stated, worked in the golf industry for quite a bit and know a thing or two about clubs even the smaller companies. Redbird makes some quality products. :) I’m kinda a club nut!

No problem with a mixed bag, play one myself.  Fitting is important to get an understanding of what could work for you, but there is also something about really liking the equipment you play with as well for a confidence factor. In that sense, as long as it works for you, its good.  My current driver is a little old now (Callaway Diablo Tour Black), and will go to my pro for a fitting at some point in 2019.  Don't know if I will change, but i am open to what I play with.

I have always played a mixed bag, usually consisting of mizuno irons, Vokey wedges, and Taylor made driver/3w/hy. 

When I got fitted (not going on a fitted rant here) I switched to srixon irons, Cleveland wedges, and ping driver/3w, Titleist hybrid. 

In my mind, the mizuno brand has always been in a different, far superior, league than srixon. That being said, I have been really impressed with my srixon irons and consider them a better fit for my game without sacrificing quality. 

As far as a “mixed bag” - I worked in the golf services industry imthrought high school and college, and would often purchase the complete sets from mizuno because the price was so good. I feel like having every club in your bag being the same manufacturer gives the appearance that you just went into a golf shop and bought a complete set off the rack. Having a mixed bag gives the impression you took the time to see what club is best for you. 

• Like 1