Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Phoenix/Scottsdale Golf Weekend

hartrick11

I am heading to Arizona next month for a golf weekend and would love some advice on courses. Looks like we are going to do Seville on Friday and Stadium course Saturday, but Sunday morning before we leave town we’re looking to book one more. We’ve narrowed it down to

Gainey Ranch

Talking Stick

We Ko Pa

Troon North

Sun ridge canyon

The price difference between the cheapest and most expensive of those is less than $100 so we are just looking to play the best course we can. Anyone out there that can speak to the differences or pros/cons of those? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Love We Ko Pa. Talking Stick is good. Flat. Dove Mountain and Legacy are both good tracks. 

If you want to break the bank and just say F it, play 36 at Troon and make a day of it. It's a fantastic course and worth the green fee...just make sure the greens aren't punched. The views and scenery at Troon are spectacular. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from AZ.  We Ko Pa is a must play.  Not sure where you are staying but another must play is out west called Verrado Founder’s Course.  I have played it many times and it is an absolute blast.  Prices will range from $100-$129.00 depending on when you play.  I would look at different Tee time websites and get the best deal and call the pro shop as well.  They usually match any deals.  As far as the course goes every hole is different.  There are houses around the course on some holes (not all) but they are positioned well off the course.  There is some dramatic elevation change on several holes.  You will hit every club in the bag which to me says a lot about the course design.  It is challenging but doesn’t beat you up all day either.  Favorite holes- 3,5,8,9,13,15,16,18.  Crap that list got long.  Hole 15 is a long par 5 with a back drop of the White Tank Mountains.  No houses on the west side of the hole just amazing views.  Truly one of my favorite places on earth.  Holes 16 and 18 have awesome tee shots heading east down the mountain with dramatic elevation change.  You will hit some of the longest drives of your life on those two holes.  18 is steeply down hill off the tee and the second shot.  It is picturesque to say the least- i would take par every day and be happy.  I love the hole but it will eat your lunch if you are not careful.  Finally sitting on the patio after the round to enjoy a beer and  the best quesadilla you will ever have makes for a great end to a great day.  Sorry that was a long reply.  Probably made your decision harder.

Jason

WITB

Ping G400 9 Degree with Mitsubishi Chemical Kuro Kage 60 gram Stiff Shaft- Set to 10 Degrees

Titleist TS2 4 Wood 16.5 Degrees Mitsubishi Chemical (S) Tensei AV Series Blue

Titleist 818 H1 20 Degree Hybrid Mitsubishi Chemical (S) Tensei Pro Blue

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-5 Irons KBS C-Taper Lite (S) Standard Loft and Lie

Mizuno JPX 919 6-PW KBS C-Taper Lite (S) Standard Loft and Lie

Titleist SM6 Vokey 50 (F Grind), 54 (S Grind), 58 (M Grind) DG Wedge Shaft

Odyssey 2 Ball Fang Blacked Out (35")

Average Score 74-75

Mason City, IA

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 9:01 AM, txgolfjunkie said:

Love We Ko Pa. Talking Stick is good. Flat. Dove Mountain and Legacy are both good tracks. 

If you want to break the bank and just say F it, play 36 at Troon and make a day of it. It's a fantastic course and worth the green fee...just make sure the greens aren't punched. The views and scenery at Troon are spectacular. 

Just played Troon North Pinacle today.   What a treat.  Views I've never seen on a course.  It's pretty visually intimadating at first.   But once the outing realize the fairways are very generous, it's not that bad.   

We had a bit of wind playing in the afternoon but it just added to the challenge. 

Here's a couple pics. 

8725F01F-A725-4A0E-97D4-212945C08567.jpeg

924D92C8-0AA9-44D6-A8FD-5231F0FF8FFE.jpeg

84B08016-7593-4803-8BA4-B8765FA19EEE.jpeg

C45B81E2-8695-4AE5-986D-CD18AB3E2087.jpeg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

46 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Just played Troon North Pinacle today.   What a treat.  Views I've never seen on a course.  It's pretty visually intimadating at first.   But once the outing realize the fairways are very generous, it's not that bad.   

We had a bit of wind playing in the afternoon but it just added to the challenge. 

Here's a couple pics. 

8725F01F-A725-4A0E-97D4-212945C08567.jpeg

924D92C8-0AA9-44D6-A8FD-5231F0FF8FFE.jpeg

84B08016-7593-4803-8BA4-B8765FA19EEE.jpeg

C45B81E2-8695-4AE5-986D-CD18AB3E2087.jpeg

Lot more houses than when I played it in 2003.  😎

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Lot more houses than when I played it in 2003.  😎

They were crammed in on every hole.  In this case they didn't really annoy you.  They kinda were part of the scenery. 

9 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

They were crammed in on every hole.  In this case they didn't really annoy you.  They kinda were part of the scenery. 

There weren't any (or very few) when I played.  And it was only $80... of course it WAS July!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great pics! Some of the best scenery (available to the public) in Phoenix on those two courses. 

@golfspy_CG2 Where else are you playing? 

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

On 4/5/2019 at 11:03 AM, txgolfjunkie said:

Great pics! Some of the best scenery (available to the public) in Phoenix on those two courses. 

@golfspy_CG2 Where else are you playing? 

The only other round I played was with AZStu324 on Tuesday afternoon after I got in.  Hadn't planned on playing that day, just hanging out , but he invited me out to a cool little executive course Rolling Hills and we raced darkness and got 18 in there in about 2.5 hours or so.  

Main purpose was to visit PING about some forum stuff coming up.   But tried to get in some golf out there.   Troon was a real treat.

19 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The only other round I played was with AZStu324 on Tuesday afternoon after I got in.  Hadn't planned on playing that day, just hanging out , but he invited me out to a cool little executive course Rolling Hills and we raced darkness and got 18 in there in about 2.5 hours or so.  

Main purpose was to visit PING about some forum stuff coming up.   But tried to get in some golf out there.   Troon was a real treat.

Wow...you poor thing. Need a new best friend for these research trips? 

• Lefty

Those tee shots do look a bit intimidating.  We just visited Sun City Grand a couple weeks ago and really liked how generous they were in fairways when designing the four 18 holes courses.  Unlike most I've seen/played, they left healthy boundaries between fairway and home lot lines. My wife is now shopping houses with the golf cart garage. 😲

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Of the courses you listed I would definitely go for Troon North. I have played them all many times and Troon is just amazing. Next I would go We Ko Pa, then Sun Ridge Canyon, Gainey Ranch, then lastly Talking Stick. Another in the Scottsdale area is Eagle Mountain or Grayhawk.

6 hours ago, geez2323 said:

Of the courses you listed I would definitely go for Troon North. I have played them all many times and Troon is just amazing. Next I would go We Ko Pa, then Sun Ridge Canyon, Gainey Ranch, then lastly Talking Stick. Another in the Scottsdale area is Eagle Mountain or Grayhawk.

Definitley recommend Troon North.  I looked at Grayhawk and We Ko Pa as well.  We-Ko didn't have any tee times in my time frame.  And Grayhawk was $90 more than Troon for the same tee time slot.   So I asked a few locals if it was wotth the extra $100 and it was a resounding No.  

But I don't think anyone  can go wrong with any of them. 

On 4/8/2019 at 9:26 AM, txgolfjunkie said:

Wow...you poor thing. Need a new best friend for these research trips? 

LOL!! Pretty much the same thing I ask Golfspy_Barba all the time 😎

Definitley recommend Troon North.  I looked at Grayhawk and We Ko Pa as well.  We-Ko didn't have any tee times in my time frame.  And Grayhawk was $90 more than Troon for the same tee time slot.   So I asked a few locals if it was wotth the extra $100 and it was a resounding No.  
But I don't think anyone  can go wrong with any of them. 

Definitely not worth more than Troon. They are all good courses. If you know some people, estancia and silverleaf are great as well.

Sent from my iPhone

Archived