Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Re-gripping (DIY or PAY)

I've recently been looking into re-gripping my clubs myself, but I'm a stickler for perfection and feel that if I don't have all of the tools for the job then it won't be done right.  How about you, do you do it yourself or pay someone else to do it?  If you do it yourself, what tools do you use?  Where did you buy the tools from?  Thank you for any feedback you might have.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I do it myself because I want it perfect :) I have a vise and a rubber shaft holder for it. I bought tape from the same source as my grips. I have a knife blade that slides under the grip (can't remember what it's called) and I use mineral spirits. I have very little money involved and I can get the wraps I like, etc. I always like to do those things myself because I'm picky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

DIY all the way. I'm dreadful with tools in my hand, and I can re-grip all my clubs without a problem. Shows how easy it can be.

I use a vice and a rubber shaft holder I got with a regripping kit. I take my old grips off with a hook blade, clean the shafts, re-tape, and slide the new grips on with solvent. Only takes a few minutes per club. This way I can experiment with different grips, different widths and amount of tape, etc. to find a combo I really like. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I DIY but I blow them on. Stupid simple to do with the Pure gun. I re-gripped my all my clubs with Pure DTX grips before they went to Florida in January and it took about 30 minutes, with the longest part getting the OEM grips off the Bridgestones. When I re-grip next time it'll probably take about 10 minutes for all of my clubs. 

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

7 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

I've recently been looking into re-gripping my clubs myself, but I'm a stickler for perfection and feel that if I don't have all of the tools for the job then it won't be done right.  How about you, do you do it yourself or pay someone else to do it?  If you do it yourself, what tools do you use?  Where did you buy the tools from?  Thank you for any feedback you might have.

Definitely DIY. I'm with @SteddyGolf once you do it once you'll be embarrassed to pay someone. The steps are super easy and doesn't require a lot of different tools. I've bought most my stuff from eBay but you basically need a utility knife (hooked blade preferably), vice with rubber shaft holder and new grips/grip tape. I'll post some Amazon links just so you know what to look for. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wedge-Guys-Complete-Regripping-Clubs/dp/B00SRGJ53W/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=golf+grip+tape&qid=1551098217&s=gateway&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Jewel-Hooked-Cutting-Sheffield-England/dp/B00EKKBRZI/ref=sr_1_5?crid=34MVFUDBUZ403&keywords=hooked+blade+utility+knife&qid=1551098253&s=gateway&sprefix=hooked+blade+%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-5

Also, I've used Mineral Spirits the last few times instead of Grip Solvent. Its cheaper but has a stronger smell during installation. 

Hope this helps!

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

I do it myself. I've gone the traditional route and I've gone the air compressor route. I've even done it for friends and once for a customer during my brief stint working in a pro shop. As @SteddyGolf said, it really doesn't require much in the way of tools. Truly, all you need is a knife to remove the old grips and tape. You can easily slide new grips on without a vice if you use the right technique and enough solvent. Personally though, I prefer the air compressor method. It's the easiest for getting grips on and off and you don't even have to use tape unless you need extra wraps. Just find you a half-decent pancake style air compressor and a PURE Grips grip installer tool.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I echo the rest in here, DIY is great. I did it for the first time this year. Golfsmith has a great website you can order what you need off of there, but it's really just the goop and the tape you need. Some use mineral spirits, I went with the grip solvent (since it's odorless and non-toxic) but that was because of having a pregnant wife and a one year old. Hook knife is also useful as with a regular knife you can damage your graphic shafts. Just make sure you have a paint drip tray to reuse old solvent. Honestly use one of the @McGolf youtube videos and you are gold.

I used a workmate bench instead of a vise, it still worked fine (I just had to take the heads off the woods before doing their shafts). I bough the rubber shaft holder just to give myself a little more wiggle room. I enjoyed doing the work myself and it is tres simple and easy to do. Knowing you did it yourself means you know you did it right, whereas a guy at a club shop doing 100 isn't going to give your club the 2nd look once he's done. If you don't like where you put the grip, redo it quickly after you put it on and it will be fine. 

Have at it, good luck!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Here's how I get the job done.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Broken record here...Echo everyone above as well. DIY since day one for me. Went to a mega-home improvement store, grabbed up a small vice I can chuck up to my coffee table since it has an integrated clamp and found a utility knife with hook blades. Got a simple re-grip kit at DSG that came with the vice insert, tape & solvent. Last go-around I got a big bottle of mineral spirits from Wally-World that I refill my original little bottle with since it has a deploy-able nozzle I like to use to squirt solvent inside the old grips with. I did buy a specialty grip-removing tool from Golfworks that has actually paid for itself over time. Give the DIY a try. It's actually quite rewarding.

shopping.png.a3122cddaffea8daa75499e34cc643ed.png

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

DIY, IMO use plain old masking tape if your frugal or buy the Golfworks its Full size build up tape .015 which makes 4 wraps  =1 grip size.

Some customers ask for no tape, I don't recommend due to condensation between the shaft and rubber. (easy no jokes)

I use solvent on just the inside of the grip to push over shaft then, Air compressor. Double sided tape IMO is useless unless you have a high swing speed 110+, unless the customer insist.

Just watch You Tube for the air compressor grip installation process, easy peeze.

4 minutes ago, 10shot said:

DIY, IMO use plain old masking tape if your frugal or buy the Golfworks its Full size build up tape .015 which makes 4 wraps  =1 grip size.

Some customers ask for no tape, I don't recommend due to condensation between the shaft and rubber. (easy no jokes)

I use solvent on just the inside of the grip to push over shaft then, Air compressor. Double sided tape IMO is useless unless you have a high swing speed 110+, unless the customer insist.

Just watch You Tube for the air compressor grip installation process, easy peeze.

Gotta try the air-gripping technique one day myself. I just gotta get over the mental block that the only thing holding the grip on is sheer friction and not some sort of adhesive...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I'm not sure what else I might have replied before but I don't use the compressor to get the grips on. I found it's not necessary. I just clamp the shaft and align the club, use plenty of solvent, and slide the grips right on over the tape. The only few times I do use the compressor is when (rare) I mess up and the grip gets stuck. Then I hit it with a little air and it comes right off. 

I'll also add.... now days my buddies are mostly using the equipment. 🤗

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I do it myself, and paid for everything within the first three times I gripped my clubs.

I bought a standard vise, grip solution, rubber clamp insert, exacto knife with the hooked blades, double-sided 2” tape, and a spray bottle. My father-in-law put the vise on a table for me, so I’m all-set. At $3 per club, plus tax, I’m saving over $40 each time I re-grip, and I generally buy grips on-sale online. Lamkin always has some discounted. It’s really not that difficult to do, and I haven’t messed-up yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

6 hours ago, MattF said:

I DIY but I blow them on. Stupid simple to do with the Pure gun. I re-gripped my all my clubs with Pure DTX grips before they went to Florida in January and it took about 30 minutes, with the longest part getting the OEM grips off the Bridgestones. When I re-grip next time it'll probably take about 10 minutes for all of my clubs. 

Matt,

I like to put a couple extra wraps for the lower hand on the grip, how can you achieve this with the "blow on" Pure grips?

• :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗
6 hours ago, DannyDips said:

Definitely DIY. I'm with @SteddyGolf once you do it once you'll be embarrassed to pay someone. The steps are super easy and doesn't require a lot of different tools. I've bought most my stuff from eBay but you basically need a utility knife (hooked blade preferably), vice with rubber shaft holder and new grips/grip tape. I'll post some Amazon links just so you know what to look for. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wedge-Guys-Complete-Regripping-Clubs/dp/B00SRGJ53W/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=golf+grip+tape&qid=1551098217&s=gateway&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Jewel-Hooked-Cutting-Sheffield-England/dp/B00EKKBRZI/ref=sr_1_5?crid=34MVFUDBUZ403&keywords=hooked+blade+utility+knife&qid=1551098253&s=gateway&sprefix=hooked+blade+%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-5

Also, I've used Mineral Spirits the last few times instead of Grip Solvent. Its cheaper but has a stronger smell during installation. 

Hope this helps!

Awesome!  Thank you

6 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I do it myself. I've gone the traditional route and I've gone the air compressor route. I've even done it for friends and once for a customer during my brief stint working in a pro shop. As @SteddyGolf said, it really doesn't require much in the way of tools. Truly, all you need is a knife to remove the old grips and tape. You can easily slide new grips on without a vice if you use the right technique and enough solvent. Personally though, I prefer the air compressor method. It's the easiest for getting grips on and off and you don't even have to use tape unless you need extra wraps. Just find you a half-decent pancake style air compressor and a PURE Grips grip installer tool.

@TR1PTIKCan you do this with any grip (Golf Pride), or does it have to be a PURE Grip?

21 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

@TR1PTIKCan you do this with any grip (Golf Pride), or does it have to be a PURE Grip?

Works with any grip in my experience. With a shaft clean of conventional grip tape, you can easily blow grips on and off with the PURE gun. I've not had a lot of success trying to blow off grips that were installed via traditional means (i.e. grip tape and solvent), but you could get lucky. Just in case, have a utility knife with hook blade at the ready and perhaps a rag and some goof-off to remove all residue. Clean after with some windex or soap and water (anything non-greasy) and blow the new grips on. Most of your time will be spent getting the old grips off. Installing the new grips should not be an issue. It is recommended that you keep air pressure relatively low (as low as possible while still getting the grip on) to prevent a blow-out (I've never experienced this personally, but have heard plenty of stories). There are plenty of videos available on YouTube and PURE even has some good instructions on their site. 

I should also note, that there are plenty of posts on re-gripping with an air compressor available in the Club Making/Fitting/Repair forum here at MGS.

Edited by TR1PTIK

1 hour ago, M. Parsons said:

The one grip that doesn't work well is the Winn Excel which has the hard rubber at the bottom of the shaft.  Air doesn't expand the grip enough to slide it on.  I have done it but it takes patience and grip solvent.

With all grips ready to go, I can take off the old grips on 13 clubs and put new ones on in under 10 minutes.  If the old grips are still reasonably decent I will save them.  Sometimes I find a used club that I want to try that may have a poor grip.  Cut it off, put on a used Pure grip, ready to go.  If I don't like it, no great loss.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, 10shot said:

Just out of curiosity, do you have evidence of problems with blowing on grips with higher swing speeds?

I've heard the odd story here and there of a club flying out of the grip, but assumed that had more to do with a bad install than a swing speed related issue.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

3 hours ago, romeopapazulu said:

Just out of curiosity, do you have evidence of problems with blowing on grips with higher swing speeds?

I've heard the odd story here and there of a club flying out of the grip, but assumed that had more to do with a bad install than a swing speed related issue.

Only tears in the grip never had anyone say it came off. I would also say swing tempo played a part as well.

Grips coming off IMO, due to not allowing grip to dry. Some guys use a lot of solvent and it take hours to dry. Could see this at the club going straight from the pro shop..maybe

Using the .015 tape allows me to take grips on and off allowing the customer to try several grips in short time. Double tape is OK it's just a PITA removing it when you have 100 to do 🤣🤣

I've been doing my own for quite a while.  It really is pretty simple.  You'll probably be as happy with your own results as you will with someone else doing them.  Plus, you can use the money you save on more golf.👍

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

17 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Gotta try the air-gripping technique one day myself. I just gotta get over the mental block that the only thing holding the grip on is sheer friction and not some sort of adhesive...

It really works quite well and I've been tempted to try another method a time or two...

I come from a BMX background and when I used to swap grips on my bike the easiest way to do it was (believe it or not) WD-40. Spray the bars down with WD-40, slide the grips on, and let it sit overnight - good to go the next morning. I've yet to brave trying this with a golf club, but I've been tempted. The only reason I've not yet tried is because I fear having to chase after my driver at the range or golf course.

That shouldn't happen since the inner diameter of the grip is smaller than the OD of the shaft. I guess if someone uses solvent but no build up tape or doesn't let the solvent dry before hitting it's technically possible. One of the benefits to air installs is that you don't need solvent. Just a little touch around the inner lip of the grip to get it started over the top of the shaft.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

That shouldn't happen since the inner diameter of the grip is smaller than the OD of the shaft. I guess if someone uses solvent but no build up tape or doesn't let the solvent dry before hitting it's technically possible. One of the benefits to air installs is that you don't need solvent. Just a little touch around the inner lip of the grip to get it started over the top of the shaft.

Caveat to this reply, Kenny B is correct in his earlier post. 2 piece grips are much more difficult to install with air. I haven't done Winn but have struggled with New Decade DD for the same reason. The bottom portion is very sticky.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

18 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Matt,

I like to put a couple extra wraps for the lower hand on the grip, how can you achieve this with the "blow on" Pure grips?

Easy, just use painters or masking tape. Do the wraps like you would using grip tape and blow them on.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

29 minutes ago, MattF said:

Easy, just use painters or masking tape. Do the wraps like you would using grip tape and blow them on.

I'll add on to this a little as well. Did grips for a buddy of mine a few years back using the air compressor method and we did something like 7 wraps under the upper and 4 wraps under the lower portion of his grips? It could have been more quite honestly - he has large hands and I have a shoddy memory sometimes. I do know that I used to game the PURE Big Dog putter grip and had 10 wraps of blue painters tape underneath to make if feel closer to a SuperStroke 3.0. It requires a little more air pressure with that many wraps, but still not bad.

I think we've pretty much covered the methods and ease of installing your own grips.  Personally I use the air compressor and blue painters tape method.

I'll add this for your consideration.  Who do you trust more with your clubs...some guy making $10-$15 in a big box store with 10 other sets to do after yours?  Or yourself?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

4 hours ago, gaussman1 said:

Agreed.  I have never had to use solvent putting grips on with air, except for those Winn Excel grips.

I like the blue painters tape.  While you can put the grips on with no build up tape, I would recommend at least one wrap or at least a little tape covering the end of the shaft.  Here's why...

I have found that over time, the rubber on the inside of the grip can stick to a bare metal shaft.  It will come off, but you will need more coaxing than when the shaft is taped.  Also, the end of shafts are somewhat sharp and can cut the inside of the grip if you are not careful.  A little tape over the end will prevent that.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Agreed.  I have never had to use solvent putting grips on with air, except for those Winn Excel grips.

I like the blue painters tape.  While you can put the grips on with no build up tape, I would recommend at least one wrap or at least a little tape covering the end of the shaft.  Here's why...

I have found that over time, the rubber on the inside of the grip can stick to a bare metal shaft.  It will come off, but you will need more coaxing than when the shaft is taped.  Also, the end of shafts are somewhat sharp and can cut the inside of the grip if you are not careful.  A little tape over the end will prevent that.

Another reason why I think taping the end of the shaft is important is because it helps divert the air so that works between the shaft and the grip rather than shooting down the shaft. This isn't necessarily a huge problem, but if you're working with clubs that have a bore-thru hosel design (like my 906 F2) I've noticed that air can escape from the bottom making things a tad more difficult. So even when I've put a grip on with no wraps, I still like to cover the end of the shaft for that reason.