TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-gripping (DIY or PAY)

I DIY grips and have no tools at all, just tape and solvent.

Cut them off with a standard knife, tape on, solvent inside the grip, shake and pour it on the tape, grip on.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Ive been doing my own. Originally bought mineral spirits, tape, and a rubber clamp to put in my vice. Workrd fine but got tired of the littke rubber clamp so I recently upated to a speed vice and built a solid bench in my basement wirh a catch pan that drains bsck into a container. and added some other club building gadgets.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

On 2/26/2019 at 8:03 AM, hckymeyer said:

I think we've pretty much covered the methods and ease of installing your own grips.  Personally I use the air compressor and blue painters tape method.

I'll add this for your consideration.  Who do you trust more with your clubs...some guy making $10-$15 in a big box store with 10 other sets to do after yours?  Or yourself?

Good point! I don't even trust those guys with the launch monitors and a fitting. Thank you.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗
On 2/25/2019 at 2:38 AM, MattF said:

I DIY but I blow them on. Stupid simple to do with the Pure gun. I re-gripped my all my clubs with Pure DTX grips before they went to Florida in January and it took about 30 minutes, with the longest part getting the OEM grips off the Bridgestones. When I re-grip next time it'll probably take about 10 minutes for all of my clubs. 

+1 for air compressor install, I use a layer of painter's tape underneath as well. I've done it with a Tour Velvet 360 as well, it doesn't have to be Pure brand.

I'm probably going to try the new Tour Velvet +4 and see if I like them.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Question for those that do their own (wet vs. air compressor) install: 

As anyone used multiple layers of tape to increase the thickness of the grip? If so what tape do you use. FYI I already have MCC+4 on my clubs which I believe is the "thickest" grip that GP makes. 

Note for those air compressor installers: I don't have a air compressor which is why I'm directing the questions to those that use tape and mineral spirits. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

As anyone used multiple layers of tape to increase the thickness of the grip? If so what tape do you use. FYI I already have MCC+4 on my clubs which I believe is the "thickest" grip that GP makes. 
Note for those air compressor installers: I don't have a air compressor which is why I'm directing the questions to those that use tape and mineral spirits. 

I personally have just used additional layers of grip tape. I have heard that masking tape works too.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

23 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Did this with some PURE grips using blue painters tape and the air compressor method. Can easily be done with traditional methods and traditional grip tape - or you could just use painters tape then cover with traditional grip tape. Just make sure to use enough solvent as it may be more difficult to get the grip on and you don't want it to get stuck.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:55 AM, TR1PTIK said:

I'll add on to this a little as well. Did grips for a buddy of mine a few years back using the air compressor method and we did something like 7 wraps under the upper and 4 wraps under the lower portion of his grips? It could have been more quite honestly - he has large hands and I have a shoddy memory sometimes. I do know that I used to game the PURE Big Dog putter grip and had 10 wraps of blue painters tape underneath to make if feel closer to a SuperStroke 3.0. It requires a little more air pressure with that many wraps, but still not bad.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I've saved so much over the years by regripping myself. I used to do it for the longest without a vise and fared just fine.

A vise makes life easier of course. Bought a cheap (but danged good) vise off ebay, a grip kit through Golfworks and a compressor through Harbor Freight.

Needed the compressor anyway but as to regripping, I'll use it or I won't equal amounts. I'm not a handy guy but regripping really is child's play.

I've been doing my own regripping for about 5 years now. It's simple and less expensive than having it done.

And....you can do them in the evening and play them in the morning without having to wait for them in the shop.

Tools are simple.

1. Bench vise

2. Rubber shaft adapter

3. Razor knife with hook blade

4. Grip tape removal tool

5. Grip tape

6. Mineral spirits

7. Paint roller pan to catch drippings

8. New grips

Edited by Drumdog
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9.0*    3-Wd: Taylormade M1-3HL    Hybrid: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 - 18*    Irons: Callaway Apex CF-19 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 50, 56, 58    Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider    Ball : Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

I love doing everything myself specifically because I know that I will make it right. I love learning new things and there is always room for improvement. I have had things done by other people that was less that stellar. Sometimes I end up redoing things myself after I already paid someone to do it for me....especially haircuts. 

It doesn't take much to be able regrip by yourself. You can do it with some pretty basic stuff. You can also spend a lot of money and get some nice equipment. 

I like trying different grips and so normally I just blow the grips on with an air compressor and use masking tape on the shaft. I don't have any issues with the grips coming off though sometimes they do twist a little bit. If I find a grip that I like a lot then I'll use grip tape and fix it on there nice. 

Edited by Stephen1125

Driver: Taylormade M3 440cc 9* 45.25" Diamana D+ 70 x-flex

3w - Taylormade RBZ stage 2 tour 14.5* Fujikura 70 s-flex std length

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 850 s-flex std length. 

Irons: Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 4-PW. Project X 6.5 flighted shafts ⅜" gapping. 39.25" 5 iron 2* upright

Wedges- Titlist Vokey SM6 51*, 55*, 59* 2* upright

Putter - Machine M10 adjuster, no sight line. 35.5"

• 2 weeks later...

When I originally posted in this thread a few weeks ago it reminded me it was time to regrip my irons for 2019. The whole process took less than an hour and they look great using the tape/solvent method I’ve used before.

IMG_1102.JPG

Also thought I’d try blowing on the grip to my new Ping Sigma G Kushin putter. It was a whole lot easier than I ever imagined. I’m still unsure about blowing on irons/woods. Afraid I might lose the club at impact. Lol but for putters it’s perfect.

IMG_1140.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

Always DIY. I like fresh grips, so I change them every few weeks. If I paid to have them done I'd go broke!

:titelist-small: TSi2 9.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3 15 / 18.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3H 20° (set for 22)

:titelist-small: CNCPT 5i-48°

:vokey-small: SM8 52° / 58°

:cameron-small: Fastback 1.0 Circle T

I have typically paid to have my grips done.  I'm about to DIY for the first time this weekend.  Grabbed a deal on the grips (Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize) and gear on Amazon.  Already have a vice.  Will let everyone know how it goes.  Fingers crossed.

:taylormade-small: M1; 10.5; Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff

:cleveland-small: CG Gold 4-PW

:odyssey-small: White Hot Pro #9 35"

Always DIY. I like fresh grips, so I change them every few weeks. If I paid to have them done I'd go broke!

I think changing your grips every few weeks is enough for you to go broke as is. Idk anyone who changes them that frequently lol

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I re-grip my own now.  As others have said, it's pretty easy.

To make quick work of taking off the old spent grips, use a hook blade in your utility knife.  You'll find them at you local hardware store. Be especially careful not to cut graphite shafts with a knife blade. To avoid that, insert the hook under the end if the grip with the blade tangent to the shaft, and keep it tangent while you slit the grip open.

The toughest part for me has been getting the old tape off. There are tape removal tools that make that a lot easier, such as these from Golfworks and Brampton, or you can make your own from an old shaft.  It also helps to warm the tape a bit before you try.  A propane torch works well for that, if used carefully.

Grip solvent will take off what you can't scrape off.  By the way, paint thinner works as well as grip solvent for that job.  It also works just as well for installing new grips over fresh grip tape.

That is all easy enough, but it's messy and you need to wait a few hours for the adhesives to set.  But I think I've found a better way.  (Thanks to the friend who led me to it!)
Now I use a compressor to blow the old grips off and the new grips on.  Instead of using grip tape (with adhesive on both sides), I now use pieces of 2-inch wide masking tape cut to the length of the grips.  That way, if I'm only replacing worn grips with new of the same model, I don't even have to take off the old tape. How to air-install them is shown in this video.

Instead of that special airgun shown in the video,  I just use one that came with this $15 air compressor starter kit.  To help keep the grip from flopping around and buckling during installation, I slip a piece of PVC pipe over it that is a couple of inches shorter than the grip. (1 1/2-inch Schedule 40 PVC pipe has an average inside diameter of 1.38 inches; it fits nicely over my midsize grips

I have been using Pure™ DTX grips.  That is the same brand as used in the application video.  I like the way they feel and they last a long time. Two years ago when I last bought grips, they were pretty economical two years ago ($60 for 13), but the price about 50fi higher now.  I have heard that grips of other manufacturers can be applied the same way.

I blew on my first set of grips with a $15 12-vdc emergency tire inflator. It worked, but it was a bit of a struggle. Since then, I purchased a pancake compressor for other reasons.  It can deliver 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi and it works much better on installing grips.

I’ve always paid, but I usually kick myself for not going the DIY route when I see how easy it is. Lots of good info in this thread about the DIY route so I may ween myself off paying and start doing it myself the next time I need a grip refresh.

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I’ve always paid, but I usually kick myself for not going the DIY route when I see how easy it is. Lots of good info in this thread about the DIY route so I may ween myself off paying and start doing it myself the next time I need a grip refresh.
Bring your sticks by my mom's place and I'll show you how easy it is to use compressed air. Just threw 3 of these on, using my crappy little 2-gal compressor, my 4i, 8i, and 56 today:

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190324120217102_COVER.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Bring your sticks by my mom's place and I'll show you how easy it is to use compressed air. Just threw 3 of these on, using my crappy little 2-gal compressor, my 4i, 8i, and 56 today:

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190324120217102_COVER.jpeg.58ed373c09fe7e673d565c6c6ec419b1.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Dude those TV Plus4s are awesome. My new favorite grips!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

• 4 years later...

Silly question. I have watched a bunch of regripping videos and have a question about the use of double sided tape. It looks like they only remove the paper backing from the side of the tape that touches the shaft but not the side that touches the grip. If that’s the case what’s the point of double sided tape?  What am I not understanding?  Thanks

43 minutes ago, NickG622 said:

Silly question. I have watched a bunch of regripping videos and have a question about the use of double sided tape. It looks like they only remove the paper backing from the side of the tape that touches the shaft but not the side that touches the grip. If that’s the case what’s the point of double sided tape?  What am I not understanding?  Thanks

Remove paper backing from one side of the tape allows you to put on the shaft and get it smoothed out without getting stuck to it.  Once on, then remove the other paper backing and the grip is ready to put on with solvent applied inside the grip and on the sticky tape.  Use lots or it might get stuck halfway on.

I stopped doing that years ago and went to installing grips with an air compressor and no sticky tape or solvent.  Do a search of the forum for using air to install grips.  Lots of posts.  good luck

Edited by Kenny B

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I do my own grips. I usually remove the factory grips and add at least one layer of one sided masking tape and blow on my grips. 

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS