M. Parsons

Re-gripping (DIY or PAY)

3 hours ago, romeopapazulu said:

Just out of curiosity, do you have evidence of problems with blowing on grips with higher swing speeds?

I've heard the odd story here and there of a club flying out of the grip, but assumed that had more to do with a bad install than a swing speed related issue.

Only tears in the grip never had anyone say it came off. I would also say swing tempo played a part as well.

Grips coming off IMO, due to not allowing grip to dry. Some guys use a lot of solvent and it take hours to dry. Could see this at the club going straight from the pro shop..maybe

Using the .015 tape allows me to take grips on and off allowing the customer to try several grips in short time. Double tape is OK it's just a PITA removing it when you have 100 to do 🤣🤣

• Like 1

I've been doing my own for quite a while.  It really is pretty simple.  You'll probably be as happy with your own results as you will with someone else doing them.  Plus, you can use the money you save on more golf.👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Gotta try the air-gripping technique one day myself. I just gotta get over the mental block that the only thing holding the grip on is sheer friction and not some sort of adhesive...

It really works quite well and I've been tempted to try another method a time or two...

I come from a BMX background and when I used to swap grips on my bike the easiest way to do it was (believe it or not) WD-40. Spray the bars down with WD-40, slide the grips on, and let it sit overnight - good to go the next morning. I've yet to brave trying this with a golf club, but I've been tempted. The only reason I've not yet tried is because I fear having to chase after my driver at the range or golf course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just out of curiosity, do you have evidence of problems with blowing on grips with higher swing speeds?
I've heard the odd story here and there of a club flying out of the grip, but assumed that had more to do with a bad install than a swing speed related issue.
That shouldn't happen since the inner diameter of the grip is smaller than the OD of the shaft. I guess if someone uses solvent but no build up tape or doesn't let the solvent dry before hitting it's technically possible. One of the benefits to air installs is that you don't need solvent. Just a little touch around the inner lip of the grip to get it started over the top of the shaft.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

That shouldn't happen since the inner diameter of the grip is smaller than the OD of the shaft. I guess if someone uses solvent but no build up tape or doesn't let the solvent dry before hitting it's technically possible. One of the benefits to air installs is that you don't need solvent. Just a little touch around the inner lip of the grip to get it started over the top of the shaft.

Caveat to this reply, Kenny B is correct in his earlier post. 2 piece grips are much more difficult to install with air. I haven't done Winn but have struggled with New Decade DD for the same reason. The bottom portion is very sticky.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Matt,

I like to put a couple extra wraps for the lower hand on the grip, how can you achieve this with the "blow on" Pure grips?

Easy, just use painters or masking tape. Do the wraps like you would using grip tape and blow them on.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MattF said:

Easy, just use painters or masking tape. Do the wraps like you would using grip tape and blow them on.

I'll add on to this a little as well. Did grips for a buddy of mine a few years back using the air compressor method and we did something like 7 wraps under the upper and 4 wraps under the lower portion of his grips? It could have been more quite honestly - he has large hands and I have a shoddy memory sometimes. I do know that I used to game the PURE Big Dog putter grip and had 10 wraps of blue painters tape underneath to make if feel closer to a SuperStroke 3.0. It requires a little more air pressure with that many wraps, but still not bad.

• Like 2

I think we've pretty much covered the methods and ease of installing your own grips.  Personally I use the air compressor and blue painters tape method.

I'll add this for your consideration.  Who do you trust more with your clubs...some guy making $10-$15 in a big box store with 10 other sets to do after yours?  Or yourself?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, gaussman1 said:

Agreed.  I have never had to use solvent putting grips on with air, except for those Winn Excel grips.

I like the blue painters tape.  While you can put the grips on with no build up tape, I would recommend at least one wrap or at least a little tape covering the end of the shaft.  Here's why...

I have found that over time, the rubber on the inside of the grip can stick to a bare metal shaft.  It will come off, but you will need more coaxing than when the shaft is taped.  Also, the end of shafts are somewhat sharp and can cut the inside of the grip if you are not careful.  A little tape over the end will prevent that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Agreed.  I have never had to use solvent putting grips on with air, except for those Winn Excel grips.

I like the blue painters tape.  While you can put the grips on with no build up tape, I would recommend at least one wrap or at least a little tape covering the end of the shaft.  Here's why...

I have found that over time, the rubber on the inside of the grip can stick to a bare metal shaft.  It will come off, but you will need more coaxing than when the shaft is taped.  Also, the end of shafts are somewhat sharp and can cut the inside of the grip if you are not careful.  A little tape over the end will prevent that.

Another reason why I think taping the end of the shaft is important is because it helps divert the air so that works between the shaft and the grip rather than shooting down the shaft. This isn't necessarily a huge problem, but if you're working with clubs that have a bore-thru hosel design (like my 906 F2) I've noticed that air can escape from the bottom making things a tad more difficult. So even when I've put a grip on with no wraps, I still like to cover the end of the shaft for that reason.

• Like 1

I DIY grips and have no tools at all, just tape and solvent.

Cut them off with a standard knife, tape on, solvent inside the grip, shake and pour it on the tape, grip on.

• Like 1

Ive been doing my own. Originally bought mineral spirits, tape, and a rubber clamp to put in my vice. Workrd fine but got tired of the littke rubber clamp so I recently upated to a speed vice and built a solid bench in my basement wirh a catch pan that drains bsck into a container. and added some other club building gadgets.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2019 at 8:03 AM, hckymeyer said:

I think we've pretty much covered the methods and ease of installing your own grips.  Personally I use the air compressor and blue painters tape method.

I'll add this for your consideration.  Who do you trust more with your clubs...some guy making $10-$15 in a big box store with 10 other sets to do after yours?  Or yourself?

Good point! I don't even trust those guys with the launch monitors and a fitting. Thank you.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:38 AM, MattF said:

I DIY but I blow them on. Stupid simple to do with the Pure gun. I re-gripped my all my clubs with Pure DTX grips before they went to Florida in January and it took about 30 minutes, with the longest part getting the OEM grips off the Bridgestones. When I re-grip next time it'll probably take about 10 minutes for all of my clubs. 

+1 for air compressor install, I use a layer of painter's tape underneath as well. I've done it with a Tour Velvet 360 as well, it doesn't have to be Pure brand.

I'm probably going to try the new Tour Velvet +4 and see if I like them.

• Like 1

Question for those that do their own (wet vs. air compressor) install: 

As anyone used multiple layers of tape to increase the thickness of the grip? If so what tape do you use. FYI I already have MCC+4 on my clubs which I believe is the "thickest" grip that GP makes. 

Note for those air compressor installers: I don't have a air compressor which is why I'm directing the questions to those that use tape and mineral spirits. 

As anyone used multiple layers of tape to increase the thickness of the grip? If so what tape do you use. FYI I already have MCC+4 on my clubs which I believe is the "thickest" grip that GP makes. 
Note for those air compressor installers: I don't have a air compressor which is why I'm directing the questions to those that use tape and mineral spirits. 

I personally have just used additional layers of grip tape. I have heard that masking tape works too.
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Did this with some PURE grips using blue painters tape and the air compressor method. Can easily be done with traditional methods and traditional grip tape - or you could just use painters tape then cover with traditional grip tape. Just make sure to use enough solvent as it may be more difficult to get the grip on and you don't want it to get stuck.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:55 AM, TR1PTIK said:

I'll add on to this a little as well. Did grips for a buddy of mine a few years back using the air compressor method and we did something like 7 wraps under the upper and 4 wraps under the lower portion of his grips? It could have been more quite honestly - he has large hands and I have a shoddy memory sometimes. I do know that I used to game the PURE Big Dog putter grip and had 10 wraps of blue painters tape underneath to make if feel closer to a SuperStroke 3.0. It requires a little more air pressure with that many wraps, but still not bad.

• Like 3

Use a tee to plug the hole at end of grip it will pop out when the grip hits the butt end . Save the compressor for the golf cart tires

Definitely DIY. With decent tools from Golf Works, it’s a fairly easy process. 

I've saved so much over the years by regripping myself. I used to do it for the longest without a vise and fared just fine.

A vise makes life easier of course. Bought a cheap (but danged good) vise off ebay, a grip kit through Golfworks and a compressor through Harbor Freight.

Needed the compressor anyway but as to regripping, I'll use it or I won't equal amounts. I'm not a handy guy but regripping really is child's play.

• Like 1