I. Am. Shocked.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I. Am. Shocked.
Same. I was certainly expecting either Cobra or PING.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Very surprised... Although briefly looking at the data it shows a lot of them are so so close to each other and really a true fitting will bring out the best driver for each individual. A lot of them are within 2 mph ball speed.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

sounds like the Cobra was so so close...

I will admit this section really really stood out to me... I don't see anything this year that "appreciably" outperforms what I have.

Q: How often should I buy a new driver?

A: While on rare occasions there are quantifiable year over year breakthroughs, typically it takes 3-5 years for manufacturers to make any significant performance gains. With the USGA further tightening restrictions on manufacturers, it’s possible, even likely, that it will take longer still moving forward. Our recommendation is to buy a new driver only when it appreciably outperforms what is already in your bag. Of course, if you want a new driver because you want a new driver, that’s fine too.

Great year for those looking to upgrade though!  Some super sweet sticks out there.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

The bummer for me is the top 2 don't even support MGS that I'm aware of but you can bet they will market these results.  It shows the professionalism of the MGS staff and at the end of the day they do base the results on performance and not bias....which I surely would have in this case.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Just now, GolfSpy Stroker said:

sounds like the Cobra was so so close...

I will admit this section really really stood out to me... I don't see anything this year that "appreciably" outperforms what I have.

Q: How often should I buy a new driver?

A: While on rare occasions there are quantifiable year over year breakthroughs, typically it takes 3-5 years for manufacturers to make any significant performance gains. With the USGA further tightening restrictions on manufacturers, it’s possible, even likely, that it will take longer still moving forward. Our recommendation is to buy a new driver only when it appreciably outperforms what is already in your bag. Of course, if you want a new driver because you want a new driver, that’s fine too.

Great year for those looking to upgrade though!  Some super sweet sticks out there.

If you were properly fit for your F7+, then you likely will see very little gains with a new driver.  

Based on personal experience, however, I think Cobra alone made significant improvements to their drivers over the last two or three years.  I think someone upgrading from the F7 to the F8 or F9 would see more improvement than someone upgrading from a 2016 M2 to an M4 or M6.

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

If you were properly fit for your F7+, then you likely will see very little gains with a new driver.  

Based on personal experience, however, I think Cobra alone made significant improvements to their drivers over the last two or three years.  I think someone upgrading from the F7 to the F8 or F9 would see more improvement than someone upgrading from a 2016 M2 to an M4 or M6.

Agreed!  And I was fit for it.

Below is the other paragraph that I found important.  I underlined probably the most important sentence in the entire article.

My 'circles' with the F7+ are relatively small right now.  I don't want to mess with that.  😉

Q: What should I look for when testing drivers?

A: While golfers have been conditioned to consider distance to the exclusion of nearly everything else, we recommended looking at the little numbers and looking for small circles. When comparing metrics like distance and ball speed, be sure to look at your standard deviations (the small numbers usually found under the big ones on the data screen). Smaller numbers mean better consistency which will usually mean more than an extra yard or two on the golf course. Similarly, look for tighter dispersion ellipses (small circles). We can’t understate the importance of consistency with the driver

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I was shocked that PXG took the most forgiveness category. It could be ignorance, but I just don't associate forgiveness with that brand...

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

The write up for these results was excellent! I like the FAQ section as it is doing more to help people understand that there is not one driver for everyone, but everyone has the one driver for them. Get fit folks!
I was surprised to see how close many of the top performers really were to each other. It really goes to show that with the regulations from USGA, most manufacturers are all within a similar range of each other.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

The results didn’t really shock me, but I was one of the testers. I haven’t looked at the results in detail but After each of my sessions I sent my summary to@golfspy_cg2 and he can confirm that the flash and M6 were near the top of my list and that the PXG was forgiving.

Pretty much every driver tested is too notch and you wouldn’t go wrong with any choice even if you picked one up off the rack. Our own biases and fitting will be what makes one seem better than another.

While all the drivers are goid, I am still sticking with the G400 max currently in my bag.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Colour me shocked as well. But, having said that, I think I'm going to have a red hot look at the PXG. Fortunately the place where I'll be testing and buying my new driver is a dealer for them as well as pretty much every other brand.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Count me as another who was surprised to see Callaway atop the list, but Cobra being not far behind in overall performance means it's a definite go for personal testing and hopefully will make a great replacement for my aged G25.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Hot topic for sure here...🔥 Racking up replies on the MGS site like gangbusters and most of them seem to be in line with everyone's gaping jaws here. Broke the site for a bit too... I've been seeing other websites tout the Epic on their reviews for a few weeks, so I'm not too surprised to see it at the top. I also see (for whatever reason) like 50% of tour guys with the new Epic flash staff bags...I mean like everywhere this season...maybe the color combo just stands out on TV...

I'm not too surprised to see PING kicked down the ladder this year after last years dominance & popularity. I was actually kinda surprised that they came out with the 410 line this season quite honestly...seemed too fast of a turn around to me for some reason and I figured they'd ride the momentum of the 400 series a little longer.

No worries though, I love my 400 SFT and it's going nowhere...though if someone were to toss me a new 410 SFT, I'm sure I'd find an excuse to at least hit it...a lot...😎

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

2 hours ago, GB13 said:

I. Am. Shocked.

Me too. Other than the Callaway marketing machine, this driver seems to have been flying a bit under the radar compared to Ping, Cobra, and the TS2/3 - at least I haven't heard nearly as much about it as those others.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

...honestly, if I were buying a new driver this year, I'd give the Tour Edge serious consideration.  The price is 299.99 and it ranked top 10 in ball speed, consistency and strokes gained.

No offense to the Epic - I'm sure it is great - but at 529.99 that is a 76 percent (!!!!) premium over the Tour Edge.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

...honestly, if I were buying a new driver this year, I'd give the Tour Edge serious consideration.  The price is 299.99 and it ranked top 10 in ball speed, consistency and strokes gained.
No offense to the Epic - I'm sure it is great - but at 529.99 that is a 76 percent (!!!!) premium over the Tour Edge.

Rick Shiels has a video out about that topic. Great way to grow the game charging an arm and a leg.

Just now, Shankster said:

Rick Shiels has a video out about that topic. Great way to grow the game charging an arm and a leg.

saw that this morning...he makes really good points.... curious to see how he'll get around with the 70.00 set he bought.  Certainly don't need to go to that extreme but my first set was a box set from Costco for 150 and played those for about 3 years and had a great time.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yup, just watched that myself...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

2 hours ago, bardle said:

I was shocked that PXG took the most forgiveness category. It could be ignorance, but I just don't associate forgiveness with that brand...

PXG is saying the new 0811XF has a MOI of 5900 which is as high as you can legally go and is the same level that the old square drivers were able to hit (Nike Sumo 5900).  It's even higher than the Ping G400 Max which MGS stated they had to expand their center of gravity/MOI chart to display.

My bag is a revolving door!

What stuck out most for me was how the TS 3 and Z585 had high ball speeds and some of the lowest launch angle numbers. Safe to say for a longer hitter that this would yield a longer ball?

All in all it’s pretty impressive to see the narrow dispersion among all participants like jlukes mentioned.

Hard to go wrong with any of these.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

44 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Or.... you could just get an F8 for 299.99....Cobra discounted them, honestly you can probably get one cheaper than that...

imo the OEM's just markup their clubs for every-year upgrade golfers, whatever small % that is. Then profit margins and MSRP come back down to earth the following year and I'm guessing there is an insanely higher number of golfers who buy last years model than current year models. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Just now, bardle said:

Or.... you could just get an F8 for 299.99....Cobra discounted them, honestly you can probably get one cheaper than that...

imo the OEM's just markup their clubs for every-year upgrade golfers, whatever small % that is. Then profit margins and MSRP come back down to earth the following year and I'm guessing there is an insanely higher number of golfers who buy last years model than current year models. 

This is true!  I was at a golfers warehouse (golf superstore near me) and they had the F8 for 299 .... quite a few of them actually.  Also had a few lightly used Rogue too, that were even cheaper.

Certainly if I wanted something brand spanking new the TourEdge would be worth comparing.  

I always have this internal debate on if the depreciation on new cars or new golf clubs is higher...  it's got to be close!  😁

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

With roughly 13.6 yards difference in all of the drivers it is safe to say if you get properly fit that you will have a good driver in your hands.  Only 11.4 yards of difference in carry.  This just stresses the need to get fit correctly.  I wonder what the 2018 driver test and 2019 driver test look like side by side.

If i looked at this correctly:

2018 Longest Carry - 219.00

2019 Longest Carry - 223.74

2018 Longest Total - 233.01

2019 Longest Total - 240.74

7 yards over one year is a good jump.  I believe i looked at this data right.  Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

59 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

saw that this morning...he makes really good points.... curious to see how he'll get around with the 70.00 set he bought.  Certainly don't need to go to that extreme but my first set was a box set from Costco for 150 and played those for about 3 years and had a great time.

Mine was a boxed set from Kmart. they were MacGregors... I also played them about 3 years... 

I wish we could really see how they were ranked, 1-25 ect.. But it does show how close things really are. Best to worst is almost to little to draw much conclusion about.. it just tells me that If I am fit for a driver I should not worry about the half a yd shorter that club is vs the field. which gives me confidence.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

20 minutes ago, jacustomgolf said:

With roughly 13.6 yards difference in all of the drivers it is safe to say if you get properly fit that you will have a good driver in your hands.  Only 11.4 yards of difference in carry.  This just stresses the need to get fit correctly.  I wonder what the 2018 driver test and 2019 driver test look like side by side.

If i looked at this correctly:

2018 Longest Carry - 219.00

2019 Longest Carry - 223.74

2018 Longest Total - 233.01

2019 Longest Total - 240.74

7 yards over one year is a good jump.  I believe i looked at this data right.  Someone correct me if i am wrong.

What we don't know is if the testers are the same. Different testers=different Swing speeds=different distances. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

3 minutes ago, GB13 said:

What we don't know is if the testers are the same. Different testers=different Swing speeds=different distances. 

I agree, but i believe they stay the same mostly year to year.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf