TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 MGS Most Wanted Driver (Results!)

null

41 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I understand why people want to see comparisons vs previous years, but I think many do not realize 

How much time that would take

The resources

The storage space 

The costs 

And for what? The average golfer doesn't replace his driver year after year (it's more like every 3 to 5 years). 

The entire concept of the the testing isn't to prove that drivers go further than previous years (MGS does other tests for that). It's to provide a sort of starting point or buying guide for someone who is already looking to buy a new driver. 

I totally understand, and I think the testing and the MW list is a great thing, like I said, I'm happy to keep my monthly donation. I love golf talk, gear and gadgets. And this forum as a whole. 

And I get that the MW list is aimed at the person buying off the rack and that the blog post will get read a million times this year by people that are not forum members and are in the market for a new driver. It gives them great information and a good place to start. 

I'm just saying, that for me as a consumer, I'd love to know if the $500+ Epic Flash has any real gains over the $250 Epic from 3 years ago. 

The sheer scale of that test makes it entirely impossible. I get that. 500 swings per club is real time. 

Really, I just want to know if my beloved G400 Max still rules the world. I'm sure others want to know how their loved "x club here" stands up well. 

The MW list is awesome, I'm not even getting a driver this year (at least I don't think I am) and I'll probably open and read it 20 times. The obvious hard work and hours that go into it are not overlooked. 

You make a good point that the average golfer doesn't change their driver every year, but if you look at the subset of golfers that make up this forum, there is a real possibility that they do. Or if they happen to be named Rob, they might change 4 times a year. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

35 testers X 24 drivers x 10-12 shots each =10,080 more shots each year. That's just the actual hitting of the shots. It doesn't take into account anything else. 

What MGS does is better than anything I have seen in the industry. We live in an information age and the more we get the more we want, which is fine. BUT in reality the game of golf doesn't fall into this line. EVERY swing is different and while the Most Wanted testing is wonderful it is nothing more than information. And if my swing isn't the same as your swing then the information is just background for actually testing and fitting. 

I don't think I made myself clear. All I'm saying to test is last years winner. Only 1 extra club, not 24. Just so we can see if there was any improvment form last year. Does that make sense?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

I'm at a odd spot with this year's MW list. It isn't that I don't trust it; the F9 had been killing it on reviews, everyone knows the M2(6) line hits a long ball and Callaway constantly makes great drivers. The return of viable Titleist drivers to the top tier is welcome too. Mizuno, srixon etc, drivers are all pretty damn good these days. 

I love the MGS message, I'm a happy donor to the site, but this single list makes me wish that the "trust the numbers not the hype, message" was better conveyed. I'm waiting for the next step in this process where MGS has the time /resources to do the test I think many of us really want, which is the currently year product line VS prior year product line. 

Based on reviews, I think I could say that if you have a prior year Cobra or Titleist, and your are brand loyal, this is a good year to upgrade. Other than that... M2's can be had for $150...

I recall reading that Jack Nicklaus played the same driver this whole career, I'm starting to think that with manufactors hitting the spec limits, my G400 Max might get a new shaft every few years, but the club itself might be with me until the rules of golf change. 

Great post IMO

It truly would be nice to see that test - same testers top 3 last 3 years or even last 5 years.  Jack certainly didn't use the same driver his entire career but he did for the majority of it.  At the very end he had to start hitting metal woods because that was where the trend was.  Like everything else things change quicker now and consumers are more likely to purchase clubs on an every other year cycle (I think the avid golfer averages a new driver every three years).  So it's important for OEMs to have their pros playing the newest equipment.

If I were thinking of I new driver I'd try trufit as my starting point BTW - just because the Callaway won this year or the Ping last year does not mean it's the best driver for me.  If I'm reading last year's chart properly the Ping G400 LST was the best driver for 51 % of the testers.  That means there's only a 50/50 chance that it would be the best driver for me - pretty amazing but still a bit of a crap shoot.

I'm looking forward to the next results - best driver for fast or slow swing speeds and then perhaps being able to dig deeper and find some testers who have similar swing characteristics to my own - mid-90's SS, 3 degrees up. 

The thing that stood out for me with the drivers this year verses last was the reduced spin rates.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 minute ago, GB13 said:

I don't think I made myself clear. All I'm saying to test is last years winner. Only 1 extra club, not 24. Just so we can see if there always any improvment form last year. Does that make sense?

Sorry if I misunderstood. Yes if it was just the winner that is a little different scenario. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

4 hours ago, KAB2313 said:

@MattF Being from the area where do you go for fittings?! I've gone to a couple really good places in the area. 

What places? As spring gets closer, I want to do a shaft fitting for the JGR driver that I tested last fall. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

This is the link to last years data.... theoretically you could cut/paste last year and this year into a single spreadsheet and do a year-to-year comparison.  https://mygolfspy.com/2018-most-wanted-driver/  

One thing not to overlook....as @revkev stated, be sure to get the one for YOU... and the difference between a handful of them might be very small.... As you can see from the results the numbers are really close so you may find that there are 3-5 that are good for you and it might come down to aesthetics.  For a very small price using TrueFit as a starting point is a great resource!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Just now, jlukes said:

Any word on when the TrueFit database is going to be updated with the current drivers?

Awaiting response...I asked that very question when the test results were released.  I'll keep asking and let you know if/when I hear something.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Excellent!

Is updated, was last night. Tony mentions it in the comment section on the blog post

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

6 hours ago, jlukes said:

I understand why people want to see comparisons vs previous years, but I think many do not realize 

The resources

The storage space 

The costs 

And for what? The average golfer doesn't replace his driver year after year (it's more like every 3 to 5 years). 

The entire concept of the the testing isn't to prove that drivers go further than previous years (MGS does other tests for that). It's to provide a sort of starting point or buying guide for someone who is already looking to buy a new driver. 

This is so spot on.  It should bs posted at the top of the Most Wanted results.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

7 hours ago, jlukes said:

The resources

The storage space 

The costs 

49 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This is so spot on.  It should bs posted at the top of the Most Wanted results.  

I'll take the devils advocate to that...

For me the fact that most people don't upgrade every year makes the test I have in mind more relevant.  I know Rev (and others) have requested it more than once, but I would absolutely love to see the winners from the previous 5 years tested head to head.  Maybe you don't need 35 testers, maybe a subset of 9 testers with say 90mph, 100mph, 110mph (or close to those) could be found to do a smaller scale version.  

I realize there is cost, and time, and resources involved in a test like this, but with how often I see it requested isn't it worth it?  Isn't that was MGS is all about?

I think this would be a perfect "off season" test.  It would be a great something to fill the void between when Most Wanted ends and before the new stuff comes out.  I know some of this type of thing is out there already.  Sam did a few head to head's at the PGA show, and Rick Shiels did that series of video's testing the current model against the previous 5 within a brand.  MyGolfSpy is the best in the business though when it comes to testing clubs so that's who I'm hoping will finally tackle the issue.

Anyway, just my .02.  I'm looking forward to the day when it finally happens.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great post IMO
It truly would be nice to see that test - same testers top 3 last 3 years or even last 5 years.  Jack certainly didn't use the same driver his entire career but he did for the majority of it.  At the very end he had to start hitting metal woods because that was where the trend was.  Like everything else things change quicker now and consumers are more likely to purchase clubs on an every other year cycle (I think the avid golfer averages a new driver every three years).  So it's important for OEMs to have their pros playing the newest equipment.
If I were thinking of I new driver I'd try trufit as my starting point BTW - just because the Callaway won this year or the Ping last year does not mean it's the best driver for me.  If I'm reading last year's chart properly the Ping G400 LST was the best driver for 51 % of the testers.  That means there's only a 50/50 chance that it would be the best driver for me - pretty amazing but still a bit of a crap shoot.
I'm looking forward to the next results - best driver for fast or slow swing speeds and then perhaps being able to dig deeper and find some testers who have similar swing characteristics to my own - mid-90's SS, 3 degrees up. 
The thing that stood out for me with the drivers this year verses last was the reduced spin rates.
I also think this would be great. From a manufacturer's perspective, I can see why it doesn't happen. How many manufacturers are going to be thrilled to have their $500 latest and greatest not perform better than their previous model?
It's one thing to show that all this year's models are good but to show these aren't any better than last year? Didn't two main brands not donate to MGS this year? If I recall that was a $50-75k cost to testing. What if everyone else pulls out? That would be a pretty big hit to the MGS operating cost.
This is no more than a conspiracy theory with no real evidence, but it is asked for in every other post on every most wanted test. I realize that MGS is going to strive to tell the truth no matter what, but there have to be some boundaries that the big makers have some control over.
I'll go put my tin foil hat in the microwave now...

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

6 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

I'll take the devils advocate to that...

For me the fact that most people don't upgrade every year makes the test I have in mind more relevant.  I know Rev (and others) have requested it more than once, but I would absolutely love to see the winners from the previous 5 years tested head to head.  Maybe you don't need 35 testers, maybe a subset of 9 testers with say 90mph, 100mph, 110mph (or close to those) could be found to do a smaller scale version.  

I realize there is cost, and time, and resources involved in a test like this, but with how often I see it requested isn't it worth it?  Isn't that was MGS is all about?

I think this would be a perfect "off season" test.  It would be a great something to fill the void between when Most Wanted ends and before the new stuff comes out.  I know some of this type of thing is out there already.  Sam did a few head to head's at the PGA show, and Rick Shiels did that series of video's testing the current model against the previous 5 within a brand.  MyGolfSpy is the best in the business though when it comes to testing clubs so that's who I'm hoping will finally tackle the issue.

Anyway, just my .02.  I'm looking forward to the day when it finally happens.

Oh no doubt I think that would be an ideal test for MGS to do, especially once the normal most wanted testing dies down. I was just trying to clarify what I perceived as the goal of the most wanted testing and why it may be unreasonable to alter or add to the testing process. 

But it 100% agree that it would be a great test MGS to initiate later in the the season 

17 hours ago, KAB2313 said:

@MattF Being from the area where do you go for fittings?! I've gone to a couple really good places in the area. 

My last 2 drivers I tested for this forum. The first one I was fit at Windmill Golf Center in Macedonia and the second one I got based on what I was currently using.

I'll be in Florida next month for a couple of weeks and will be going to The Golf Guys in Bonita Springs and being fitted there.

Honestly, if I was to be fitted around here again, I'd probably end up doing the drive down to see @McGolf.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

3 minutes ago, MattF said:

My last 2 drivers I tested for this forum. The first one I was fit at Windmill Golf Center in Macedonia and the second one I got based on what I was currently using.

I'll be in Florida next month for a couple of weeks and will be going to The Golf Guys in Bonita Springs and being fitted there.

Honestly, if I was to be fitted around here again, I'd probably end up doing the drive down to see @McGolf.

Matt,

What did you think of Windmill and Trent (if that's who your fitter was) ? You can pm me if you don't want to respond on this site. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Matt,

What did you think of Windmill and Trent (if that's who your fitter was) ? You can pm me if you don't want to respond on this site. 

I didn't see Trent, I saw another guy (name escapes me, but he was an older gentleman). He was OK but I thought he could have been a bit better. I've heard Trent is really good and for instruction Randy is very good.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

17 minutes ago, MattF said:

I didn't see Trent, I saw another guy (name escapes me, but he was an older gentleman). He was OK but I thought he could have been a bit better. I've heard Trent is really good and for instruction Randy is very good.

Thanks. My wife and I talked to Trent a few weeks ago by default. The guy at the counter was not too knowledgeable. Trent happen to walk in 3/4 of the way through the conversation. She liked what Trent had to say. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

It's really amazing how closely matched the top contenders are.  But I think that simply reflects the advantages of CAD/CAM.  In seems the M6 has the best numbers in the chart - but we're splitting atoms here.  It would be cool to see how a MGS Most Wanted Driver test turned out back in the days of persimmon wood.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I think the topic of testing last years/previous winners is interesting, but kind of futile. Those things happen every once in a while (I'm recalling the EVNROLL tests when they came out, the Cortex vs. G400 LST this year) but the ability to put them into practice all the time for every test is not feasible. I don't think MGS is going to change testing methods for drivers and not also change it for FWY woods, hybrids, irons, putters, etc. at that point, you need 14 storage lockers to store all your clubs. I also think the comments about the manufacturers not being exactly thrilled about those tests is valid as well. What a way NOT to get Callaway back.

Plus, I honestly think it's largely irrelevant. How often does a company release a driver it finds to be inferior to what they released before? Do you believe they just slap something paint on something and send it out because they need to fit a product cycle. We all know the increases from year-to-year are often minimal, with small jumps being made every 3-5 (hence why that's a normal persons driver replacement cycle). How often have you seen a company release a worse driver than the year before? Which models? 

Testing previous years models is for people who a) want justification to not buy a new club or b) are just "interested" in the results. I don't see anybody spending thousands on club testing just to satisfy the curiosity of a few forum members. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

15 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

I think the topic of testing last years/previous winners is interesting, but kind of futile. Those things happen every once in a while (I'm recalling the EVNROLL tests when they came out, the Cortex vs. G400 LST this year) but the ability to put them into practice all the time for every test is not feasible. I don't think MGS is going to change testing methods for drivers and not also change it for FWY woods, hybrids, irons, putters, etc. at that point, you need 14 storage lockers to store all your clubs. I also think the comments about the manufacturers not being exactly thrilled about those tests is valid as well. What a way NOT to get Callaway back.

Plus, I honestly think it's largely irrelevant. How often does a company release a driver it finds to be inferior to what they released before? Do you believe they just slap something paint on something and send it out because they need to fit a product cycle. We all know the increases from year-to-year are often minimal, with small jumps being made every 3-5 (hence why that's a normal persons driver replacement cycle). How often have you seen a company release a worse driver than the year before? Which models? 

Testing previous years models is for people who a) want justification to not buy a new club or b) are just "interested" in the results. I don't see anybody spending thousands on club testing just to satisfy the curiosity of a few forum members. 

Shaft manufacturers are more guilt of the paint job than club OEM's.  Won't mention names but it's pretty well known in the business. 

Cally gets top honors with a computer designing its face. But humans were JUST as good as evidenced by all of the results. Go HUMANS!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I know everyone wants previous winner(s) vs this years drivers but that is MGSs decision. I know there isn’t a lot of storage space for all the current product much less old product. For example the putter tests are going on while the green is lined with golf bags from bag testing.

My random thoughts:

if you just compared to last year people would start with why just the previous winner why not the last 3, 5, etc.

The testers change every year. Even though there were 35 the past two years, they are not the same 35.

Carry and overall distance is impacted by hitting the fairway. Most of the tests are dine in a simulated hole. Miss the fairway you may hit a tree and you end up with less roll. Hard to compare numbers from previous years. I would chalk it up to more forgiving heads and more consistent testers, but that is just me and not intended to be a MGS opinion.

Adding just one driver, fairway wood, putter, etc may impact the grouping of clubs and create another session for each golfer. This could add another 35ish hours to the test which could result in weeks if delay. Fatigue is an issue with some of testers.

MGS really doesn’t have a downtime. Most wanted testing consumes most of the year. Between contacting OEMs for equipment, getting the equipment, and coordinating testers, as well as lab tests, article writing, video production, and OEM discussions there isn’t much time. I know I am engaged 10-11 months just as a tester.

Remember, what works for one tester doesn’t work for another. Last years most wanted was not the best driver for me; mine was the M3 and the LST was a low spin pull hook machine if I remember correctly.

Yes, the bottom driver on the list may be the best for you. If so, put it in your bag!

Having a perspective into all the work that goes into the various tests I can tell you the team works really hard to get you the information they provide. I know we all want different things and have great suggestions so keep providing them. Trying to create justification on how easy it would be doesn’t take into account all the background work that occurs on a day to day basis that not even I as a tester can see.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I know everyone wants previous winner(s) vs this years drivers but that is MGSs decision. I know there isn’t a lot of storage space for all the current product much less old product. For example the putter tests are going on while the green is lined with golf bags from bag testing...

...Having a perspective into all the work that goes into the various tests I can tell you the team works really hard to get you the information they provide. I know we all want different things and have great suggestions so keep providing them. Trying to create justification on how easy it would be doesn’t take into account all the background work that occurs on a day to day basis that not even I as a tester can see.

I have now slept on this, and I still agree with you, and with myself 😃 

I have 1 idea for future testing. And maybe it is something that MGS can put behind some sort of paywall, like a patreon content or only available to donors(I'm sure that crosses some mission statement that Adam has, if so, please disregard). 

For the 35 (or however many there are any given year) or so testers, have them test their personal club as well. Each tester would only be doing 1 more club. Then if possible, each tester could give the same kind of quick note that the forum testers do on all product reviews, they could give a 2 sentence trade it in or keep it comment. 

i.e.

Current Gamer: G400 Max

Keep for 2019 or replace(with?): Keeping, it is still the club for me

-or-

Current Gamer: Taylormade Burner Bubble

Keep for 2019 or replace(with?): Replace, the Mizuno ST90 was my best fit and a significant upgrade on distance and dispersion.

boom. all the sudden we still get the MW awesome sauce list that comes out and can put up pictures of the newest tech on our walls, and we get some older club comparisons. Everyone wins, well, we all win for being on the forum anyway. 

WITB:

12 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I have now slept on this, and I still agree with you, and with myself 😃 

I have 1 idea for future testing. And maybe it is something that MGS can put behind some sort of paywall, like a patreon content or only available to donors(I'm sure that crosses some mission statement that Adam has, if so, please disregard). 

For the 35 (or however many there are any given year) or so testers, have them test their personal club as well. Each tester would only be doing 1 more club. Then if possible, each tester could give the same kind of quick note that the forum testers do on all product reviews, they could give a 2 sentence trade it in or keep it comment. 

i.e.

Current Gamer: G400 Max

Keep for 2019 or replace(with?): Keeping, it is still the club for me

-or-

Current Gamer: Taylormade Burner Bubble

Keep for 2019 or replace(with?): Replace, the Mizuno ST90 was my best fit and a significant upgrade on distance and dispersion.

boom. all the sudden we still get the MW awesome sauce list that comes out and can put up pictures of the newest tech on our walls, and we get some older club comparisons. Everyone wins, well, we all win for being on the forum anyway. 

Why would someone want to pay for that sort of information?  I'd rather just use that money to get a fitting of my own, as that would be much more beneficial for me.

53 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Why would someone want to pay for that sort of information?  I'd rather just use that money to get a fitting of my own, as that would be much more beneficial for me.

Unless the reader swings exactly the same as the tester that data means nothing imo. I’m with you and hitting/getting fit makes much more sense. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I just completed my driver fitting at Miles of Golf in Michigan. I tried the F9, PXG Gen2 0811 X, Ping G410, TS3, Epic Flash, and Epic Flash SZ. The winner was the.......................

Epic Flash SZ!

I had said in an earlier post that the only way I switch my driver was if I saw ball speed gains, AND kept my dispersion the same, with no missed shots diving left. Well, the Epic Flash SZ beat my G400 Max by 3 mph more ball speed, AND the dispersion shows no misses left, and the last FOUR balls missing the center line my a TOTAL of 6 feet... Silly. Straight, and long. Ball speeds averaged 169, and I hit 171 once, so there wasn’t much drop-off on mishits.

Shaft was the Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X, and it felt great! We had to keep tweaking things to keep the ball speed, but get spin over 2000. This shaft was the answer. Great feeling shaft, perfect spin, and tight dispersion.

It all came down to the TS3 and the Epic Flash, with the Epic Flash beating the TS3 significantly in dispersion. Ball speed was a mile-and-half less average with the TS3.

I’m shocked. I knew the SZ would see some distance, but to have the accuracy stick-out like that, it was really eye-opening. I hit out of a bay, doors open, onto the snow covered range. The bay was heated so it wasn’t super cold (24* outside). He even had me hit real balls, Chrome Soft, just to make sure spin was actual. The bay was about 65*, or so, so to see ball speeds hit 170 mph, and it’s not summertime, and really warm, really has me stoked. Wow.

Epic Flash SZ. Totally nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Rick Shields did a Youtube not that long ago comparing several generations of Ping drivers from G20 to the 400. You might want to check it out as there were interesting results from all of the models.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

41 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I just completed my driver fitting at Miles of Golf in Michigan. I tried the F9, PXG Gen2, the TS3, Epic Flash, and Epic Flash SZ. The winner was the.......................

Epic Flash SZ!

I had said in an earlier post that the only way I switch my driver was if I saw ball speed gains, AND kept my dispersion the same, with no missed shots diving left. Well, the Epic Flash SZ beat my G400 Max by 3 mph more ball speed, AND the dispersion shows no misses left, and the last FOUR balls missing the center line my a TOTAL of 6 feet... Silly. Straight, and long. Ball speeds averaged 169, and I hit 171 once, so there wasn’t much drop-off on mishits.

Shaft was the Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X, and it felt great! We had to keep tweaking things to keep the ball speed, but get spin over 2000. This shaft was the answer. Great feeling shaft, perfect spin, and tight dispersion.

It all came down to the TS3 and the Epic Flash, with the Epic Flash beating the TS3 significantly in dispersion. Ball speed was a mile-and-half less average with the TS3.

I’m shocked. I knew the SZ would see some distance, but to have the accuracy stick-out like that, it was really eye-opening. I hit out of a bay, doors open, onto the snow covered range. The bay was heated so it wasn’t super cold (24* outside). He even had me hit real balls, Chrome Soft, just to make sure spin was actual. The bay was about 65*, or so, so to see ball speeds hit 170 mph, and it’s not summertime, and really warm, really has me stoked. Wow.

Epic Flash SZ. Totally nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro an

Anyone want in on a "pick the date"  pool shot the first Callaway commercial boasting of the MGS MW title? 

Glad you saw such a noticeable gain over previous gamer! 

WITB:

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Using the MGS fitting app is exactly this. They are using some base metrics about the testers swings as well as the raw club data from this test for the recommendations. As I understand it, the app is basically a MW person specific club recommendation. 

So while the MW overall winner was the EFSZ, the app tells me that the ST190G is likely my personal winner based on all the data from this year's testing. 

So, I've paid $7 for this information. I'd guess lots of people have. 

I

WITB:

Archived