TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 MGS Most Wanted Driver (Results!)

null

I had a club champion fitting in mid December before all the new equipment came out. However I’ve hit a couple of the new drivers since. The m5 was so low spin that I couldn’t play it. The F9 could get to fast ball speeds but the dispersion was all over the place and it just didn’t look or feel as good to me. The epic flash sz was very solid and dispersion was good for me. It was not able to beat my TS3 in terms of ball speed and was about 3-4 mph less on average. Really want to hit the new mizuno but honest just need the season to get here so I stop looking at equipment and actually play some golf. I did find out today I get to go to Brandon dunes for a 4 day trip thru work so that’s a big time plus!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone want in on a "pick the date"  pool shot the first Callaway commercial boasting of the MGS MW title? 

Glad you saw such a noticeable gain over previous gamer! 

I reached out to a friend at Callaway, and there are no plans to use the test results in advertising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

17 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I reached out to a friend at Callaway, and there are no plans to use the test results in advertising.

So I'll put you down for $5? 😃

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

42 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I don't know which friend, as I know you have a few there.  But I know one in particular who would be making that decision,  has had a propensity to change his mind 😉   And for the record, I think he is among the best in the biz at his job. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I don't know which friend, as I know you have a few there.  But I know one in particular who would be making that decision,  has had a propensity to change his mind    And for the record, I think he is among the best in the biz at his job. 

Harry might do it, who knows, but the person on Harry’s team said they have no plans. Like JLukes texted me, they would look hypocritical by doing it. “Test isn’t valid,” then advertise about the test.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

57 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Harry might do it, who knows, but the person on Harry’s team said they have no plans. Like JLukes texted me, they would look hypocritical by doing it. “Test isn’t valid,” then advertise about the test.

Yeah. I tend to agree.  They probably have enough marketing plans of there own.  

I also wonder if companies that didn't provide product for testing are prohibited from using the Most Wanted branding logos.   

I have no idea if this is correct.  But I would guess companies that win a category might automatically be sent a Most Wanted media kit. 

Just by curious thoughts.  

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah. I tend to agree.  They probably have enough marketing plans of there own.  

I also wonder if companies that didn't provide product for testing are prohibited from using the Most Wanted branding logos.   

I have no idea if this is correct.  But I would guess companies that win a category might automatically be sent a Most Wanted media kit. 

Just by curious thoughts.  

My guess is that the logo is copywritten/trademarked and they would have to get MGS approval to use the logo in any form of advertising.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Rick Shields did a Youtube not that long ago comparing several generations of Ping drivers from G20 to the 400. You might want to check it out as there were interesting results from all of the models.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I watched a bunch of those vids as he did it with a number of OEMs, however I don't buy too much into those results. He's a pro with a consistent swing that's high speed - as a result his misses are still going to be relatively close to the sweet spot, while my misses are going to be all over the place.

Nearly every club out there is going to perform when hit well. It's the newer tech that helps minimize misses that really sets new clubs apart from each other or older models IMHO. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

I watched a bunch of those vids as he did it with a number of OEMs, however I don't buy too much into those results. He's a pro with a consistent swing that's high speed - as a result his misses are still going to be relatively close to the sweet spot, while my misses are going to be all over the place.

Nearly every club out there is going to perform when hit well. It's the newer tech that helps minimize misses that really sets new clubs apart from each other or older models IMHO. 

I think you're spot on re; dispersion vs more distance. If I was buying a new driver today that's what I'd be looking for. Yes additional distance would be nice but forgiveness would be better - at least for me.                                

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

First I want to state up front that this is it a jab or anything directed at russtopherb.
This is why it is so hard for MGS to please everyone. Testers swing to fast, too slow, to perfect, too imperfect, etc. I find all the articles insightful but reading the comments with people explaining why the tests aren’t valid is almost as enjoyable.
We as consumers need to evaluate the pros and cons of each testing method, parse though the data to determine what is relevant to us, and then go hit the clubs personally.
Driving irons are a great example for me. They are the big rage and everyone needs one. I can read the most wanted, read magazines, watch YouTube videos and hear how great they are. What I learn every time is that driving irons are not for me!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, PMookie said:

I don't see how in good conscience they can. They seem to have a decent relationship with MGS, the most wanted testing is the only area they didn't cooperate with. I don't think they want to burn a bridge like that, I can not imagine the MGS team would be happy if they did. Probably the right move on their part.

In other tests, when donors have won the most wanted they have had email blasts, advertising etc. out the next day (sometimes even with deals or promo codes). Too bad Callaway doesn't choose to participate to take advantage of this, but I certainly don't think it's fair they put nothing in to get something out.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

First I want to state up front that this is it a jab or anything directed at russtopherb.
This is why it is so hard for MGS to please everyone. Testers swing to fast, too slow, to perfect, too imperfect, etc. I find all the articles insightful but reading the comments with people explaining why the tests aren’t valid is almost as enjoyable.
We as consumers need to evaluate the pros and cons of each testing method, parse though the data to determine what is relevant to us, and then go hit the clubs personally.
Driving irons are a great example for me. They are the big rage and everyone needs one. I can read the most wanted, read magazines, watch YouTube videos and hear how great they are. What I learn every time is that driving irons are not for me!

I got into a fight yesterday on my local golf forum (toronto) about somebody who said MGS is "lazy" with their test results. I might have exploded a tiny little bit...

Things were said, notes were taken, 24 hour bans were put in place...

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

45 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

I got into a fight yesterday on my local golf forum (toronto) about somebody who said MGS is "lazy" with their test results. I might have exploded a tiny little bit...

Things were said, notes were taken, 24 hour bans were put in place...

Some people have their minds made up or an agenda.   I saw a friend of mine who is a admitted Callaway Homer get into a Twitter back and forth with Tony yesterday.   I think he is predisposed to defend all things Callaway regardless of the points being made.  I mean they won the Most Wanted for cryin out loud, and some Callaway devotee's were still complaining about the way it was presented, that MGS listed some cons in the little info block....SMH

This is about all you can say. 

image.jpeg

Any insight on when/if MGS will post results based on swing speed? 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

5 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Any insight on when/if MGS will post results based on swing speed? 

It usually follows 2 to 3 weeks after the initial results. 

On 2/27/2019 at 7:49 AM, tony@CIC said:

Matt,

What did you think of Windmill and Trent (if that's who your fitter was) ? You can pm me if you don't want to respond on this site. 

On 2/27/2019 at 8:15 AM, tony@CIC said:

Thanks. My wife and I talked to Trent a few weeks ago by default. The guy at the counter was not too knowledgeable. Trent happen to walk in 3/4 of the way through the conversation. She liked what Trent had to say. 

@tony@CIC @MattF

I've done three fittings at Windmill - I was satisfied with 2/3 - I've done irons and two driver fittings - None of the fittings were with Trent though - 

I really like Windmill and would suggest it over a CC - But, I can't decide if I want to do a wedge or putter fitting at Windmill or at a place like TrueSpec - 

I've been thinking of changing to Windmill and Randy for lessons as well.. I currently drive to Columbus and while its great and has really worked, it's 4 hours total drive time roundtrip. 

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

On 2/26/2019 at 7:18 PM, MaxEntropy said:

What places? As spring gets closer, I want to do a shaft fitting for the JGR driver that I tested last fall. 

Windmill Golf Center is great in Macedonia - Pretty cheap considering too.. 

I had 2 driver fittings - the original driver fitting I wasn't happy with what I left with, and so I went back and got a new fitting and a new driver and it essentially cost me 50 bucks trade in... so I can't complain.. 

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

I was shocked that PXG took the most forgiveness category. It could be ignorance, but I just don't associate forgiveness with that brand...

Same here. I thought for sure Ping would take this category. But with the price drop closer to what most new drivers cost now, I’m actually considering trying out the PXG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going off topic a bit, but something that has been eluded to previously on MGS. For me even though Callaway techncially won, I think even more the MGS MW Testing showed is what a great year it is for drivers... Not to say other years were not, but it seems like we have so many incredible options this season for those looking for a upgrade. All the drivers are so close in performance and most all look pretty darn nice it is hard to pick a bad one in the bunch. 

When I look at the data it's easy to pick out 4 or more that I'm really eager to go and test. Regardless of who got top spot there are so many options out there for everyone we are bound to find a awesome product for each individual... Which could (and I think will) make the trugolf fit even better when we also get shaft options and so on. 

Anyway great year for drivers and good to see a great variety of stunning drivers on the market at all price ranges!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

This is just damn..interesting.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

At first I thought it was a Callaway ad. Hence the interesting part.

Then after pulling my head out of idiotville, I realized that it was an MGS original. And it is badass.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

On 2/28/2019 at 9:41 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

It usually follows 2 to 3 weeks after the initial results. 

Can't wait to see the swing speed results. Any chance the data can be uploaded to allow for open filtering; filter for swing speed, hdcp, ball speed, etc? I think this will allow people to compare themselves to one of the testers

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 7:55 PM, cnosil said:

I think I got over the sound of a driver after owning and playing a Cleveland Hi-Bore.  

This.  I had a hi-bore XLS and wow that thing was loud.  I used to go to a range that had brick walls between hitting bays... I hit my driver exactly one time in one of those bays.  I think I can still hear the ringing today! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

3 hours ago, B.Boston said:

This.  I had a hi-bore XLS and wow that thing was loud.  I used to go to a range that had brick walls between hitting bays... I hit my driver exactly one time in one of those bays.  I think I can still hear the ringing today! 

Yup.  I took mine to get some baseline numbers for my G400 fitting, and the fitter said he used to put in earplugs when people were hitting those.  Good drivers, though.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

One of the closest groupings at the top that I can remember.  
You're looking a total of 5 yards of carry difference between the longest and the 16th longest driver in the test.

I was thinking the same thing bits going to come down to feel, looks and consistency for me. A custom fit will help but confidence with it in your hand is most important.

Driver: SIM2 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with Ventus Blue 6X Velocore

3WD: MAVRIK SZ

5WD: MAVRIK SZ

3i: Titleist U500 w/ Tour AD 95X

5-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ C-Tape Lite X 115

52: Mizuno T20 Chrome

56 & 60: Cleveland ZipCore Tour Raw

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (34"/4/71)

Ball: THE Titleist Pro V1x

Archived