Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Annual 3 wood search.

did you see that?

Each spring I hope to add a 3 wood to my arsenal and each year I fail....I'm an 18 handicap trending better...driver swing speed is in the 90+ neighborhood....I hit my 5 wood pretty accurately and average 200.  Any suggestions with this years crop ?

Thank-you i'll hang up and listen to your answer

Maybe try a 4W, or .. do you really need a 3W..?? 

Ie... Are you missing a yardage gap at the top end of your bag??

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Three suggestions, maybe in this particular order. 

1) Get a 3W head but put a 5W shaft in it.  i was fit for a 917 FW this way except it was 5W and 7W shaft, and it was incredible how much better---and further--- I was hitting the 5 wood with the shorter shaft than the stock.

2) As for models, I believe there are several good ones out there, but I know for a fact the Titleist TS2/3 are so easy to hit and get some very good distances.   The Mizuno ST190 pretty much the same thing, I hear they may be the star the Mizuno lineup this year.

3) As suggested by cksurfdude, consider the 16.5, with the shorter shaft and increased loft, you might gain just as many yards and be more accurate, 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Have you been fit for a 3 wood recently?  I've had issues hitting my 3 wood off the deck the last few years.  I went to a Club Champion this winter and found a great shaft that was much more consistent and helped launch the ball higher.  I tried the 16.5 degree/4 wood route as well but the standard 15 ended up being perfect.

Also keep in mind how many times you actually hit your 3 wood in the round.  My best results came from a PXG Gen 1 wood but I wasn't willing to spend that much money on something I hit less than 5 times per round.  The shaft upgrade was a close 2nd and cost about $400 less than what they wanted for a new PXG.

A 2 hybrid or driving iron might also give you similar results if you can hit the center of the club face more consistently with them.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

For me I tried a handful of different 3woods at a few different lofts and couldnt hit anything. Every once in a while off the tee I would hit it well. 

Then I tried the g400 series 5wood and since I was able to launch it higher with a better trajectory I was hitting it further than any 3 wood I tried whether it was off the deck or the tee. What I like most about the ping woods is how flush with the ground they sit and to me makes me feel much more confident. I'm finally able to try and attack most par 5s. I've had it for a couple months now and have had more eagle chances than ever and more tap in birdies than ever as well. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

I hate my 3 wood. I have zero confidence in it and do whatever I can to leave it in my bag.

I feel your pain.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Definitely recommend the 4 wood, it's so much easier to hit and my Callaway 4+ steelhead can go as far as my drives...sometimes.

a strong 5 wood is also a really good club to have if you cannot get on with a 3 wood.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I hate my 3 wood. I have zero confidence in it and do whatever I can to leave it in my bag.

I feel your pain.

I'm saddened that they don't work for you and others as well. I've enjoyed some pretty good luck with my FW's and consider them among the more favorite of my clubs. I simply love the sound they make and with these shafts, they've really helped me tackle longer holes a whole lot better and with a fair amount of confidence. I hope you find the right combo one day.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I'm saddened that they don't work for you and others as well. I've enjoyed some pretty good luck with my FW's and consider them among the more favorite of my clubs. I simply love the sound they make and with these shafts, they've really helped me tackle longer holes a whole lot better and with a fair amount of confidence. I hope you find the right combo one day.

It’s all in my head. Just finding the right look is all it takes. Thanks for the kind words
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Wow

Tour Edge always seems to rise to the top as a most wanted fairway wood. I’m surprised it hadn’t been mentioned already. Go back a few years and grab one on the cheap. You won’t be sorry!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If you're looking at new product, there is new material coming out from the guys at TXG today on the new Callaway FW's. They also already have information out on the new lineups from Ping and Cobra. No doubt we'll see more reviews still to come for Taylormade, Mizuno, Titleist, possibly Tour Edge.

If you're looking for a recommendation on a FW that's a couple years old, I would personally recommend the Epic SZ 3 wood or 5 wood. Standard lofts of 13.5, 15, and 18, and all can move down one, up one, up two in loft if you're lookibg for a 4 wood option

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

Cobra F9 3-4W, turn it down to 15* or 16* loft. Worked better for me than a Rogue 4W at 18* off the deck plus 10-20 yard more distance. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Wow

Tour Edge always seems to rise to the top as a most wanted fairway wood. I’m surprised it hadn’t been mentioned already. Go back a few years and grab one on the cheap. You won’t be sorry!

LOVED the Tour Edge SXS...great call. Thanks for the idea.

I hit my 3 Wood 257 yards and to 3 feet. Okay, I hit a 3 Wood once that far and also another time it stopped 3’ from the hole in the past 30 years. However, I bet if I had tracked every 3 wood shot my actual yardage would be about the same as a 5 or 6 iron, and my dispersion area would be roughly the size of Lichtenstein or some other small European country.

As an 18 handicapper, if you are too far from the green to reach with a 5 Wood, a much easier to hit club, you would be better off hitting a 7 iron (or favorite club) and wedge.

Off the tee, the 5W loft will still give you almost as much distance and be far easier to hit. BUT I admit I was intrigued with the mini drivers that came out a few years ago.

This lead me to create what I call my Midi-Driver. This is a TM R9 Super Deep 10.5° set at 12° on a Motors F1 3 Wood shaft 42”. This head is 430cc but with a super deep face, hence the name, and a much smaller looking body. The loft and forgiveness of the head and shorter shaft make this a fairway finder. I hit 19/21 fairways last weekend when I used this. (I don’t want to talk about my next shots) but I still had the driver to hit on the more forgiving holes.

I can’t hit it off the deck but I tracked my statistics and KNOW that if I HAVE TO HIT A 3W to the green, then I probably should not hit a 3W.

I also own several and will probably take my 917F to range this weekend (I still dream of recreating the 3’ eagle putt) but probably won’t have it in the bag for the money rounds.

This is not the advice you wanted.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I went the other way as I added length to the shaft. Put a stock Epic driver shaft in my Epic 3 wood, set the head to 16 degrees and have never had a better 3 wood. Took the 3 wood shaft and put it in the 5 wood and that also good. Looking for an Epic 7 wood head to put the 5 wood shaft in and let my 4 hybrid go...

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 2/27/2019 at 4:12 AM, RoverRick said:

I hit my 3 Wood 257 yards and to 3 feet. Okay, I hit a 3 Wood once that far and also another time it stopped 3’ from the hole in the past 30 years. However, I bet if I had tracked every 3 wood shot my actual yardage would be about the same as a 5 or 6 iron, and my dispersion area would be roughly the size of Lichtenstein or some other small European country.

As an 18 handicapper, if you are too far from the green to reach with a 5 Wood, a much easier to hit club, you would be better off hitting a 7 iron (or favorite club) and wedge.

Off the tee, the 5W loft will still give you almost as much distance and be far easier to hit. BUT I admit I was intrigued with the mini drivers that came out a few years ago.

This lead me to create what I call my Midi-Driver. This is a TM R9 Super Deep 10.5° set at 12° on a Motors F1 3 Wood shaft 42”. This head is 430cc but with a super deep face, hence the name, and a much smaller looking body. The loft and forgiveness of the head and shorter shaft make this a fairway finder. I hit 19/21 fairways last weekend when I used this. (I don’t want to talk about my next shots) but I still had the driver to hit on the more forgiving holes.

I can’t hit it off the deck but I tracked my statistics and KNOW that if I HAVE TO HIT A 3W to the green, then I probably should not hit a 3W.

I also own several and will probably take my 917F to range this weekend (I still dream of recreating the 3’ eagle putt) but probably won’t have it in the bag for the money rounds.

This is not the advice you wanted.

220px-Stop_Making_Sense_-_Talking_Heads.jpg.3af5540e5afc7cede1a554772760ebd6.jpg

😉

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I went the other way as I added length to the shaft. Put a stock Epic driver shaft in my Epic 3 wood, set the head to 16 degrees and have never had a better 3 wood. Took the 3 wood shaft and put it in the 5 wood and that also good. Looking for an Epic 7 wood head to put the 5 wood shaft in and let my 4 hybrid go...

I have also done this to good effect.

Lately, I have found that my problems with the 3 Wood are actually caused by me over swinging. But that is not an issue limited to just that club. This is actually not a new discovery, it is simply that now I am getting better about doing something about it.

Oh yeah! I think I prefer none adjustable FW’s and hybrids. I have switched to 909H because of this. I grew weary of having the mud and junk getting stuck in the hosel and grooves on the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

On 2/25/2019 at 3:03 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Three suggestions, maybe in this particular order. 

1) Get a 3W head but put a 5W shaft in it.  i was fit for a 917 FW this way except it was 5W and 7W shaft, and it was incredible how much better---and further--- I was hitting the 5 wood with the shorter shaft than the stock.

2) As for models, I believe there are several good ones out there, but I know for a fact the Titleist TS2/3 are so easy to hit and get some very good distances.   The Mizuno ST190 pretty much the same thing, I hear they may be the star the Mizuno lineup this year.

3) As suggested by cksurfdude, consider the 16.5, with the shorter shaft and increased loft, you might gain just as many yards and be more accurate, 

I’ll go opposite a bit of point 1. Get a 4/5 wood and put a 3w shaft in it. 

For models ping g410 or ts3 are tops in my book

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 4 weeks later...

I am green with envy. I have the opposite problem! I stripe my 3w 265-275 off the tee and 245-255 off the deck but my driver is 245 and way right. I think I need lessons!

My two cents are the the F9 Cobra is just brilliant and very adjustable

:callaway-small: EPIC FLASH SZ 9 Stiff Project X HZARDS SMOKE stiff 70g

:callaway-small: EPIC 18 Rogue MAX 75g stiff

:taylormade-small: M1 (2016) 4H Fuji Pro Stiff  

:taylormade-small: P760 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 Stiff

SM6 52° degree F-Grind 8 Bounce  MD3 56° S-Grind 10 Bounce  RTX-3 60° 10 Bounce

:odyssey-small: O-Works R-Line w/SS 2.0

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have stumbled onto a solution for my never ending search for a 3 wood, and believe me it was dumb luck. Here's the story....

I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many 3 woods I've bought (easily 50, some I've even bought twice 🙄. The ones I had the most success with were the V Series and '15 GBB by Callaway. The V series was the easiest to elevate, but didn't have much distance. The GBB was the longest I had hit. The first one I had came with the stock Kuro Kage shaft, and it was good, accurate, but just a little less pop then I wanted. I then got the the same club with the Bassara shaft that was in the V series in it, and it was great.

But because I'm never happy, I traded it for the M2 that all my buddies said blew away the Epic 3 wood in their testing, and sure enough, they killed it. I got plenty of distance (for me anyway) but was so erratic with it I rarely pulled it from the bag. I was resigned to playing my #3 hybrid as my "long" club from the deck, but it max's out at about 190 for me.

Then on a whim I bought a Outlet condition Epic 3 wood from CPO 3 weeks ago for $119. The rub was it came with a Diamana 40 shaft. I was worried it would be too light at 48 gms, but to my surprise it is perfect! I'm playing it at 15* in the D setting, and I'm getting a nice baby draw (which I would kill for in my other clubs) and I'm getting about 210 yds off the deck with it, which is long for me, and perfect for my gapping; The best part is how easy it is to hit. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to try the Epic FWs, but I hated the driver, and replaced it with my Ping 400 Max the day it went on sale.

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

Archived