Sign in to follow this  
did you see that?

Annual 3 wood search.

Our Sponsors

Each spring I hope to add a 3 wood to my arsenal and each year I fail....I'm an 18 handicap trending better...driver swing speed is in the 90+ neighborhood....I hit my 5 wood pretty accurately and average 200.  Any suggestions with this years crop ?

Thank-you i'll hang up and listen to your answer

• Like 3

Maybe try a 4W, or .. do you really need a 3W..?? 

Ie... Are you missing a yardage gap at the top end of your bag??

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR) and/or Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

yes the 4 wood was almost the exact distance of my 5 wood, but not as quite as accurate, the risk reward wasn't here....so I'm hoping to go from 190-210 to 200-220 with a 3 wood. 

• Like 1

Three suggestions, maybe in this particular order. 

1) Get a 3W head but put a 5W shaft in it.  i was fit for a 917 FW this way except it was 5W and 7W shaft, and it was incredible how much better---and further--- I was hitting the 5 wood with the shorter shaft than the stock.

2) As for models, I believe there are several good ones out there, but I know for a fact the Titleist TS2/3 are so easy to hit and get some very good distances.   The Mizuno ST190 pretty much the same thing, I hear they may be the star the Mizuno lineup this year.

3) As suggested by cksurfdude, consider the 16.5, with the shorter shaft and increased loft, you might gain just as many yards and be more accurate, 

• Like 3

:callaway-logo-1:  MAVRIK Sub Zero 9.0 Adilia MSI 60S

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:callaway-logo-1: MAVRIK 5-A Nippon Modus 105 S 

:callaway-logo-1: MD5 Jaws 54.10 and 58.12 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I like the idea, I shortened the shaft on my epic driver as result of an article here on my golf spy, I love it!!  Why I didn't think of that for the three wood is beyond me.   Thanks!

• Like 3

Have you been fit for a 3 wood recently?  I've had issues hitting my 3 wood off the deck the last few years.  I went to a Club Champion this winter and found a great shaft that was much more consistent and helped launch the ball higher.  I tried the 16.5 degree/4 wood route as well but the standard 15 ended up being perfect.

Also keep in mind how many times you actually hit your 3 wood in the round.  My best results came from a PXG Gen 1 wood but I wasn't willing to spend that much money on something I hit less than 5 times per round.  The shaft upgrade was a close 2nd and cost about $400 less than what they wanted for a new PXG.

A 2 hybrid or driving iron might also give you similar results if you can hit the center of the club face more consistently with them.

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X
Fairway Wood:  :cobra-small: F9, Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, N.S. Pro Modus3 G.O.S.T. Tour S
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, Fujikura ATMOS 7 Stiff
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: KING Black 50°, 54°, 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5B

For me I tried a handful of different 3woods at a few different lofts and couldnt hit anything. Every once in a while off the tee I would hit it well. 

Then I tried the g400 series 5wood and since I was able to launch it higher with a better trajectory I was hitting it further than any 3 wood I tried whether it was off the deck or the tee. What I like most about the ping woods is how flush with the ground they sit and to me makes me feel much more confident. I'm finally able to try and attack most par 5s. I've had it for a couple months now and have had more eagle chances than ever and more tap in birdies than ever as well. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 17.5*/ 7 Wood 20.5* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 7-GW NS Pro 950GH JPX MMC Fli-Hi 5-6 NS Pro 950GH

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

I hate my 3 wood. I have zero confidence in it and do whatever I can to leave it in my bag.

I feel your pain.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

Definitely recommend the 4 wood, it's so much easier to hit and my Callaway 4+ steelhead can go as far as my drives...sometimes.

a strong 5 wood is also a really good club to have if you cannot get on with a 3 wood.

• Like 1

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I hate my 3 wood. I have zero confidence in it and do whatever I can to leave it in my bag.

I feel your pain.

I'm saddened that they don't work for you and others as well. I've enjoyed some pretty good luck with my FW's and consider them among the more favorite of my clubs. I simply love the sound they make and with these shafts, they've really helped me tackle longer holes a whole lot better and with a fair amount of confidence. I hope you find the right combo one day.

• Like 3

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I'm saddened that they don't work for you and others as well. I've enjoyed some pretty good luck with my FW's and consider them among the more favorite of my clubs. I simply love the sound they make and with these shafts, they've really helped me tackle longer holes a whole lot better and with a fair amount of confidence. I hope you find the right combo one day.

It’s all in my head. Just finding the right look is all it takes. Thanks for the kind words
  • Like 2

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

Wow

Tour Edge always seems to rise to the top as a most wanted fairway wood. I’m surprised it hadn’t been mentioned already. Go back a few years and grab one on the cheap. You won’t be sorry!

• Like 4

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

If you're looking at new product, there is new material coming out from the guys at TXG today on the new Callaway FW's. They also already have information out on the new lineups from Ping and Cobra. No doubt we'll see more reviews still to come for Taylormade, Mizuno, Titleist, possibly Tour Edge.

If you're looking for a recommendation on a FW that's a couple years old, I would personally recommend the Epic SZ 3 wood or 5 wood. Standard lofts of 13.5, 15, and 18, and all can move down one, up one, up two in loft if you're lookibg for a 4 wood option

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

Cobra F9 3-4W, turn it down to 15* or 16* loft. Worked better for me than a Rogue 4W at 18* off the deck plus 10-20 yard more distance. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*, 5-6 FWY at 17*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 5-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:taylormade-small: TP Berwick

Wow

Tour Edge always seems to rise to the top as a most wanted fairway wood. I’m surprised it hadn’t been mentioned already. Go back a few years and grab one on the cheap. You won’t be sorry!

LOVED the Tour Edge SXS...great call. Thanks for the idea.

• Like 1

I hit my 3 Wood 257 yards and to 3 feet. Okay, I hit a 3 Wood once that far and also another time it stopped 3’ from the hole in the past 30 years. However, I bet if I had tracked every 3 wood shot my actual yardage would be about the same as a 5 or 6 iron, and my dispersion area would be roughly the size of Lichtenstein or some other small European country.

As an 18 handicapper, if you are too far from the green to reach with a 5 Wood, a much easier to hit club, you would be better off hitting a 7 iron (or favorite club) and wedge.

Off the tee, the 5W loft will still give you almost as much distance and be far easier to hit. BUT I admit I was intrigued with the mini drivers that came out a few years ago.

This lead me to create what I call my Midi-Driver. This is a TM R9 Super Deep 10.5° set at 12° on a Motors F1 3 Wood shaft 42”. This head is 430cc but with a super deep face, hence the name, and a much smaller looking body. The loft and forgiveness of the head and shorter shaft make this a fairway finder. I hit 19/21 fairways last weekend when I used this. (I don’t want to talk about my next shots) but I still had the driver to hit on the more forgiving holes.

I can’t hit it off the deck but I tracked my statistics and KNOW that if I HAVE TO HIT A 3W to the green, then I probably should not hit a 3W.

I also own several and will probably take my 917F to range this weekend (I still dream of recreating the 3’ eagle putt) but probably won’t have it in the bag for the money rounds.

This is not the advice you wanted.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I went the other way as I added length to the shaft. Put a stock Epic driver shaft in my Epic 3 wood, set the head to 16 degrees and have never had a better 3 wood. Took the 3 wood shaft and put it in the 5 wood and that also good. Looking for an Epic 7 wood head to put the 5 wood shaft in and let my 4 hybrid go...

On 2/27/2019 at 4:12 AM, RoverRick said:

I hit my 3 Wood 257 yards and to 3 feet. Okay, I hit a 3 Wood once that far and also another time it stopped 3’ from the hole in the past 30 years. However, I bet if I had tracked every 3 wood shot my actual yardage would be about the same as a 5 or 6 iron, and my dispersion area would be roughly the size of Lichtenstein or some other small European country.

As an 18 handicapper, if you are too far from the green to reach with a 5 Wood, a much easier to hit club, you would be better off hitting a 7 iron (or favorite club) and wedge.

Off the tee, the 5W loft will still give you almost as much distance and be far easier to hit. BUT I admit I was intrigued with the mini drivers that came out a few years ago.

This lead me to create what I call my Midi-Driver. This is a TM R9 Super Deep 10.5° set at 12° on a Motors F1 3 Wood shaft 42”. This head is 430cc but with a super deep face, hence the name, and a much smaller looking body. The loft and forgiveness of the head and shorter shaft make this a fairway finder. I hit 19/21 fairways last weekend when I used this. (I don’t want to talk about my next shots) but I still had the driver to hit on the more forgiving holes.

I can’t hit it off the deck but I tracked my statistics and KNOW that if I HAVE TO HIT A 3W to the green, then I probably should not hit a 3W.

I also own several and will probably take my 917F to range this weekend (I still dream of recreating the 3’ eagle putt) but probably won’t have it in the bag for the money rounds.

This is not the advice you wanted.

220px-Stop_Making_Sense_-_Talking_Heads.jpg.3af5540e5afc7cede1a554772760ebd6.jpg

😉

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR) and/or Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I went the other way as I added length to the shaft. Put a stock Epic driver shaft in my Epic 3 wood, set the head to 16 degrees and have never had a better 3 wood. Took the 3 wood shaft and put it in the 5 wood and that also good. Looking for an Epic 7 wood head to put the 5 wood shaft in and let my 4 hybrid go...

I have also done this to good effect.

Lately, I have found that my problems with the 3 Wood are actually caused by me over swinging. But that is not an issue limited to just that club. This is actually not a new discovery, it is simply that now I am getting better about doing something about it.

Oh yeah! I think I prefer none adjustable FW’s and hybrids. I have switched to 909H because of this. I grew weary of having the mud and junk getting stuck in the hosel and grooves on the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated