Shankster

Greatest Shots in Golf

IMG_4976.JPG

After Tiger’s super sideways bunker shot. There’s been some discussion on how good it was. Let’s compile a thread full of these hero shots.

*ill post more later

• Like 1

*Bubba deserves his own spot in the hall of fame because he bends the ball like noone has ever done.....the shot on 18 from the woods at the Masters has to be the best...place/time/position/at a major/18th hole....

• Like 5
  • Love 1

*Bubba deserves his own spot in the hall of fame because he bends the ball like noone has ever done.....the shot on 18 from the woods at the Masters has to be the best...place/time/position/at a major/18th hole....

100% agree. Probably one of the most important shots in golf as far as tournament outcome.
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Except, it was on #10 in the playoff!  But you're right, that shot was ridiculously amazing!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Whoops!   You're right....to do it in a playoff for a major makes it even more impressive.

• Like 2

For a bit of a throwback, Jack Nicklaus's 8 iron shot in the 1977 British Open on the 18th hole. 

He hit his shot with the ball nestled almost against a gorse bush and was somehow able to get the ball on the green to give him a chance for the  win.  It was incredibly impressive IMO, but making the 35 foot birdie putt was icing on the cake.

Watson was able to sink his birdie putt and win, but Nicklaus tested his nerves with those two amazing shots.

Also, Seve Ballesteros's shot in the 1993 European Masters over the wall.  I'm sure that we could find a shot per round that Seve played that was amazing

• Like 3

17th at pebble has a claim to two of the greatest shots in the moment. Nicklaus's 1 iron and Watson's chip. 

If you are talking just shots and execution Tiger's 9 Iron (pictured above) and his 6 iron out of the bunker in 2000 at Canadian Open have to be the top or near the top. So few people would even have considered either one of those let alone pulled them off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Ditto! Opening this tread up, that shot was the very first one to come to mind. I remember watching it live on TV and just sitting there absolutely dumbfounded...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Ditto! Opening this tread up, that shot was the very first one to come to mind. I remember watching it live on TV and just sitting there absolutely dumbfounded...

Me too! He was coming out at right angles then next minute it's on the green and spinning towards the pin. I remember shouting "WTF" and rewinding to watch again as it 'MUST HAVE' hit a tree or something...lol Unbelievable execution to order.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Given the gravity of the situation, Bubba's hook out of the woods was about as majestic as it gets.  My non-golfing wife came out of her seat and said, "that cannot be normal" while looking at an overhead view of #10 on Google Maps on my phone.  I told her Bubba may be the only person in the world that could have hit that shot, under those circumstances, at that moment.

It was incredible!

• Like 2

I posted about Tiger's 6 iron at the Canadian open, a very good one. But the below is the one i was thinking of. 

• Like 2