Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Tyler Ferrell -Motorcycle Move

On 11/1/2020 at 9:15 PM, Max M. said:

... can’t comment on why you got banned but the “motorcycle move is taught/supported by many golf instructors, among them Monte Scheinblum (who I consider one of the best/most insightful coaches).  
And the concept works brilliantly if done done correctly. 
So I completely disagree with your opinion. Cheers. 

You do understand that Monte Scheinblum is one of Golfwrx sponsors so posting alternative opinions  is a banning risk . I don't think Monte himself would demand someone be banned but some of the 'shills'  might do so on his behalf.

What if I can provide some research data that casts doubt on any 'motorcycle move' in the downswing? It might help your swing using the qualitative opinions of Monte and Tyler but is it really happening the way they proclaim?

I can provide the graphs that show the flexing of the lead wrist for 97 golfers which may provide some rationale why Tyler Ferrell and Monte advocate the move.  But I can also show you more accurate research data that proves there is no active flexing of the wrist and torqueing of the grip to close the clubface (in the downswing).  That the closing of the clubface is more likely explained by Dr Sasho MacKenzies  'Moment Of Force' concept which will passively cause the clubface to square by impact.

Addendum:

Actually , on reflection and reading the  research article again , I could be wrong about the 'motorcycle' move . Now , if the other Golfwrx  forum members had argued their case with some logic, I would have accepted it but they just banned me without giving any reason at all .

Edited by Wildthing

On 2/26/2019 at 11:59 PM, jlukes said:

This isnt new or unique. Crossfield speaks of revving the bike to start the downswing in videos that are 6+ years old. And I'm sure there were others before him. 

But I'm not really sure what this thread is about so... Yeah we are friendly here.... 

This video is really interesting and way before Tyler Ferrell and Monte Scheinblum started using the 'reverse motorcyle move'  , but is it correct ?

Have a look at this new article that goes into great depth

What effect does lead wrist bowi (perfectgolfswingreview.net)

Maybe some of the more technically minded forum members might be able to fit all the pieces of the puzzle together better than I can.

Edited by Wildthing

Here's some proof that might show there is no motorcycle move and also a bit surprising about the golf swing in general. This is research done by 'Choi' where they've put sensors on the golf grip to measure torques and forces applied via the hands .

Look at graphs O and S which show the left and right hand torques applies on the grip (ie. clubshaft twist ).  If your into physics you need to use the 'right hand rule ' to visualise the rotation of the club that will produce a  torque vector in the 'Z ' axis direction on the coordinate system (connected to the club in that left image). 

The magnitude is basically zero for the whole downswing and most of the follow-through.  Unless I'm mistaken , there doesn't seem to be a 'reverse motorcycle' move being applied via the hands on the grip for the 9 golf pros used . If you look at the shaded areas around the best fit solid line graphs it shows the variance between the golfers data, but its all pretty consistent for graphs O and S (ie . virtually zero torques with no shaded variance regions). 

This means the clubface squaring is being done by something else and not any torques/twisting on the grip via the hands.  Its more likely caused by Dr Sasho Mackenzie's passive torque concept (see image further below) which creates some angular momentum in the yellow arrow direction ,which will increase the angular velocity of the club (around its longitudinal shaft axis) as the left wrist ulnar deviates . For a given initial instantaneous angular momentum, the ulnar deviation causes the MOI of the 'upper arm/forearm/club' unit to rapidly reduce which will cause increasing shaft rotational angular velocity that closes the clubface automatically by impact without any active muscular forearm rotation .

image.png

image.png.165b6abff41b2da1aeab1437888e4ca0.png

PS.  The 'Crosswise' force is something else I found out about and too complicated to explain here but it's quite small ( nothing like that Green arrow suggests) and a requirement to facilitate the passive torque effect as seen in the diagram above.

Edited by Wildthing