TESTERS WANTED! ×

Counter Balance Grip on Putter

JAGolfore

So i just ordered a counter balance grip for my putter.  I was wondering who here uses them and what your thoughts on them are.  Good or bad.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I used to have a counter weighted Superstroke Flatso on my Scotty GoLo 5. Went for a putter fitting at Club Champion and ended up going with an Odyssey 7S Black with a non-counter weight grip. Had a good conversation with my fitter about counterweight grips lacking feel on distance putts. After a season without the counterweight, I ended up agreeing. By adding weight to the hands, I lost the feel of the putter head, making the lengthy putts much more inconsistent.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

My personal feeling is if you are a rock the shoulders type of putter AND you have a relatively heavy putter head then counterweight grips match up quite well. Handsy putters not so much

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

3 hours ago, gaussman1 said:

My personal feeling is if you are a rock the shoulders type of putter AND you have a relatively heavy putter head then they match up quite well. Handsy putters not so much

Yep!  That's me!!  Rock the shoulders... Ping Sigma G Doon at 400g with CB60 grip, custom fit at 34" and Green dot lie angle.  

I looked for years trying to find a putter that felt good.  CB putters did it.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have used pretty much nothing but a counterbalanced putter for the last five years.  I agree about the lack of feel to some degree but they are deadly from 10 feet and in.  I went back to a putter last year with a lot of toe hang and a standard grip and had my worst putting year ever.  These work for me since I need to get my hands out of the stroke now that I am on the wrong side of 40.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Many grips are already counterbalanced with their natural weights.  With weights over 115g,  they are counterbalanced.    I think counterbalanced works but it will depend on how you view your stroke.  Are you swinging the head or hands, do you move the handle or do you keep it in pace, weight above, equal, or below your hands, or lots of other things.   All you can do is experiment and see what works best for you.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I tried it for a while but ended up taking out the weight on mine. My stroke felt a bit more “solid” and easier to keep on plane with shorter putters but outside 20 feet I noticed that my feel for control was thoroughly decreased.
I’m a player that hits a lot of greens but proximity to hole isn’t the best so I tend to have a lot of longer putts. For me it just didn’t mesh. I did like it for different aspects tho. Keep us posted how you perform with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Thank you all for the replies.  I am hopeful that this helps in that 8-12 range where you can really gain some strokes.  Lots of the greens I play on here in central IL are smaller and you get a lot of putts in that range.  And lets be honest I am not getting any younger.  I will update when I get everything all set up.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Thank you all for the replies.  I am hopeful that this helps in that 8-12 range where you can really gain some strokes.  Lots of the greens I play on here in central IL are smaller and you get a lot of putts in that range.  And lets be honest I am not getting any younger.  I will update when I get everything all set up.

Do let us know. I just bough a new putter with a weight in the grip. First time for me with this type of grip.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

Do let us know. I just bough a new putter with a weight in the grip. First time for me with this type of grip.

Same here, I will be installing it on a Taylormade Spider Tour Black.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Question -  Does everyone playing counterbalanced grips grip the putter near the end?  That makes the CB weight under the hands.for the most part.

That is not the case for my putter.  For years I had been putting with putters that are 31-32 inches long.  The Ping Sigma G Doon that I was fitted for had stock lengths of 35-38 inches.  The 35" was a little too long for me, so I had a 34" custom made.  But I still grip the putter exactly like I have always gripped a putter.  That means I grip at the bottom of the grip with about a foot of the grip above my hands. The Ping CB60 grip is 15" long which allows me to do that.  And no, I don't armlock!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have a 38 inch Cleveland Elevado with the CB grip and i grip it a few inches above the bottom of the grip. I tried the bottom, middle and top, and the bottom was most consistent for me this far

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

If it wasn't so damn expensive I'd love to get a Flat Cat Solution on my Pipe. With that weight down the grip I think it would really help, but I can't justify a $50 grip, I just can't do it.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• 1 month later...

I've got a counterbalanced flatso on my marksman putter and being it's my first experience with a counterbalanced grip I'm really enjoying it. I'm not ready to say that I have distance control issues like a few guys here have mentioned but I don't have enough rounds in yet to completely disagree. Time will tell but so far I'm not making any changes

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

We've been counter balancing putters since 2000.

Counter balancing IMO helps override the fast twitch muscles in the hands up to the forearms.

We used and still do use an insert weight but the superstroke had made it easy to add the weight.

There are others and as long as you are comfortable with the feel and style of the grip it aint all bad.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

We've been counter balancing putters since 2000.
Counter balancing IMO helps override the fast twitch muscles in the hands up to the forearms.
We used and still do use an insert weight but the superstroke had made it easy to add the weight.
There are others and as long as you are comfortable with the feel and style of the grip it aint all bad.

McGolf - what is the range of counter weights that are used in the super stroke grips?

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

25, 50, 75

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 3 months later...

I do believe that to get the true benefit of a counterbalanced putter, the entire putter has to be designed as such from the get go.  You can't just add a counterbalanced grip to a regular putter and get the proper performance.  It is my understanding that the putter heads on a CB putter are heavier than regular putter heads.  This would account for the comment above that the poster lost the feel of the (lighter) putter head.

I've been using one for years and it is awesome for distance control, particularly the long putts.  I grip it near the bottom of the grip.

For a while a couple of years ago, there was a wide selection of CB putters.  Now, even at PGA Tour Superstore, there are only 3 or 4 to choose from.  Disappointing, 'cause I'm a big fan of them.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

The Wilson Staff putter I just picked up is counter balanced.

Its a big change in feel to my old Odyssey Rossie 2. Not sure yet how effective it is, my putting game has always been a weak link.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.