TESTERS WANTED! ×

Minding Your Gaps

Berg Ryman

So, this is always something that intrigues me and it's gapping. Admittedly, I was never the best at gapping at the bottom of the bag for the longest time. There was a period of time where I was 46*, 56* in high school at the bottom of the bag. Then I added a second wedge with my new iron set to go to 44*, 54*, 64*. I eventually got my head together to go to my old current set up which was 44* 50* 56* and 62* and with my One Lengths I'm currently at 45* 50* 55* 60*. 

So, I ask my fellow spies, any of you out there which weird gaps or with those with consistent gapping, what's your set-up to get there? Could you go bigger? Do you want to go smaller? How does it affect other choices in your bag? If you've got weird gaps at the top end I wanna hear about those too!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Gapping in club lofts seems to be what you are asking about.

I am more concerned about distance gaps. I want to put the clubs in my bag that let me hit specific distances. If that results in big or small loft gaps then so be it.

I will admit that I just do the 4* gap at the bottom of the bag and really need to get out and work on my short game to figure out my individual distance swings for each wedge. I used to have a chart but never redid it when I got new clubs.

I am less concerned about top end of the bag. When I start getting over about 210 itbus mire if a hit it toward the hole and see what happens.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The only truly "weird" gap in my bag is between PW & GW. My PW is 46* and my GW is 52*. I'd prefer to have a 4 or 5 degree gap between all clubs at the bottom end of my bag, but I find it's not a huge deal. For me, it is much easier to control distance at the bottom end of my bag than it is at the top end. It's not overly difficult for me to dial back the PW to fill in whatever I might be missing. I think when I do build a new set, I will probably wind up with a 50 & 54, but then still go back to the 60 or maybe even 62 or 64. I've started to get much better with my other wedges and view the LW as a specialty wedge (which is what it is). It's a club I really only pull out when I'm right next to the green and I don't attempt very many full shots with it.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I have 3 irons that are at the manufacturer specs. Every other club has bent not for loft reason but to achieve even yardage gaps throughout. With every set I have had I have based my gaps off my PW yardage. This allows my gaping at the bottom of the bag to be perfect for my game. There have been times that I have had large gaps at the top of the bag due to this, however I have found that it doesn't affect my game as much as having large gaps in the bottom of the bag. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

To be fair to Cnosil, I am talking about static loft gapping, probably should have made that more clear. I just know so many people revert to standard 52, 56, 60 gapping at the bottom without giving any thought to it so I'm always intrigued by people who go a touch different. I think of distance gapping at the top end of the bag more than the bottom because I play all these different shot speeds and lengths of swing through feel. It's weird to describe fully.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

45,52,58 are my wedges. I also only play a 13 club bag. I can do everything I need with these 3 wedges. I enjoy using artistry to hit different shots. I use my 52 and 58 for so many different shots, adding another club might hinder me, and it would definitely take away some of the artistry. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

58 minutes ago, GB13 said:

45,52,58 are my wedges. I also only play a 13 club bag. I can do everything I need with these 3 wedges. I enjoy using artistry to hit different shots. I use my 52 and 58 for so many different shots, adding another club might hinder me, and it would definitely take away some of the artistry. 

I've often contemplated going back to a 3 wedge set, PW, SW, LW. I'm finding less and less use for my GW. The only problem I have currently, is I don't know what I'd replace it with. I've not experienced any glaring issues at the top end of my bag that would cause me to add something there. I have clubs I would swap for other clubs, but only because I'd look for something which was a little easier to hit - not because I would change anything about the distance I hit them.

7 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I've often contemplated going back to a 3 wedge set, PW, SW, LW. I'm finding less and less use for my GW. The only problem I have currently, is I don't know what I'd replace it with. I've not experienced any glaring issues at the top end of my bag that would cause me to add something there. I have clubs I would swap for other clubs, but only because I'd look for something which was a little easier to hit - not because I would change anything about the distance I hit them.

Yeah I understand that. I have no gap at the top end of my bag, so I just play 13 clubs. I like my 3 wedges but am considering adding a 62/64 degree wedge for emergencies. It wouldn't mess up my gapping at all, and I'd probably only use it 1 or 2 times a round. 

I have played 48-53-58 for years but this last year I got new irons so now it is 45-49-53-58. When it was the old setup I used 3-pw with 18* hybrid between 3 iron and 3 wood. Now I have 4-pw and I'm adding G410 Crossover 2 to bridge the gap so we shall see.

The wedges were weird initially but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

My current setup is 45, 52, 56, 60. I feel like there is too much yardage gap between the 45 and 52, so I'll probably work to sort that out, but like most mid to high handicappers, my distances aren't always the same on every shot because of mishits. So, I really would like to find out my exact distances with each club, with good contact of course, and I'm hoping to use my range finder to help with that, but I need to wait for the grass to green up so I can see the ball land. Also, I've been playing in some tournaments lately and just purchase a yardage book for the course, so I plan to keep track of my shots that way, and hopefully that'll help too.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I’m with cnosil here. The numbers don’t matter, because the same numbers on different clubs will go different distances.

mine are stamped 45,50,54,58, but in reality, they’re closer to 45, 48, 52, and 57.   But they’re all about 12-15 yards apart

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 2/27/2019 at 10:51 AM, TR1PTIK said:

I will probably wind up with a 50 & 54, but then still go back to the 60 or maybe even 62 or 64.

Well, for the Bridgestone review I wound up ordering 50, 54, & 58 due to bounce angles and available sole grinds. Admittedly, I should have ordered the 56 with A-sole grind then had it bent to 54. Didn’t think about it until it was too late, but considering I don’t typically use my SW for bunker shots it won’t really be a huge deal. Excited for these to come in and get to work on testing and reviewing for my fellow spies!

I used to play the stock pw then 52-56-60 wedge set for years. Then last year I decided to try a little different since the 52 seemed to be coming up a little shorter than in previous years. I switched the package to 50-56-58 and that seemed to be a pretty good gappage for me. I will start this coming year the same way and see if it continues to be a success.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9.0*    3-Wd: Taylormade M1-3HL    Hybrid: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 - 18*    Irons: Callaway Apex CF-19 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 50, 56, 58    Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider    Ball : Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

The bottom of my bag is 46/50/56/62, but it's rare that I ever make a full swing with any wedge.  It really comes down to a lot of trial and error in finding what works for you.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

With the stronger lofts that manufacturers have gone to, ive had a similar issue in the bottom of the bag. For years I went from a 47*/48* PW to a 56* and 60*.  Now that I learned how to fit wedges, thanks to Titleist, I have a set up of 50*, 54*, and 58*. These are all after a 46* PW. It has allowed me to be more aggressive and make better swings when I’m inside 120 yards. 

I would kill to do a full set at 11.5 yards a club from 225 down to 75. That's 12 clubs (plus driver and putter) to perfectly gap at 11.5 each... Now since that isn't humanly possible for me to be that accurate, I have a pretty good 15 yard gap right now from my 58° upward...

Mine looks something like this...

58° - 90 yds
54° - 105 yds
50° - 120 yds
45° - 135 yds
9i - 150 yds
8i - 165 yds
7i - 180 yds
6i - 195 yds
5i - 210 yds
4i - 225 yds

2 hybrid - 240 yds

I think this is as good as it gets for me and also why I grabbed the irons I did. They just fit far too well.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

My bottom end looks like this

46 - 150 yds

50 - 135 yds

54 - 116 yds

58 - 105 yds

Which probably means I should get that 54 tweaked a bit.  I think while the iron set lofts have creeped lower over the years, the "standard" wedges of 52, 56, 60 have left a big gap between the PW and GW.  

I think I'm rather mechanical, so I try to go by the Pelz clock method.  If I were to go by feel like @GB13, my hdcp would be on a steady increase for a long time.  If you are looking for art, I would recommend one of his paintings over mine.

I would also like to see a still photo of the top of all my iron swings overlaid and compared to @Waazzupppp.  The top end of our bags look really close in yardages, but I am a full club longer by the time we get to the 9i.  I don't think I have a giant backswing on the lower irons and wedges, but perhaps my perception is wrong.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

It also depends on the lofts of the irons. There are a ton of games being played in the loft and style department by manufacturers right now. I think that's why it is so vital to start with a 100 yard club and build. I don't care if it says 60 or 8i or whatever, finding that starting point is huge!

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

43 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

I think I'm rather mechanical, so I try to go by the Pelz clock method.  If I were to go by feel like @GB13, my hdcp would be on a steady increase for a long time.  If you are looking for art, I would recommend one of his paintings over mine.

😂🤣🤣 Trust me, unless you want Crooked Barn or Stick People Picnic, you should do the painting. Golf is how I express art, I can't draw or paint to save my life. 

It also depends on the lofts of the irons. There are a ton of games being played in the loft and style department by manufacturers right now. I think that's why it is so vital to start with a 100 yard club and build. I don't care if it says 60 or 8i or whatever, finding that starting point is huge!

What are your iron lofts? Mine have a 4 deg step up to a 22 deg 4 iron.

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

• 1 month later...

I’m one of those guys you were talking about that plays the 50 54 58 setup but that fits my set makeup with a 46* wedge up the 22* 4-iron. Short game is my strongpoint but that’s from a combination of hitting tons of shots and no high school social life. There may be better setup options for me but I know these clubs well enough to where I don’t know that I wanna look for them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 45, 50, 54 (bent to 55), and 60. Works well for me

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur