TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lets hear your chipping tips/techniques...that work!

As a long time fat and thin chipper I could do with some inspirational simple techniques to try.

Currently I set up feet close together and open, ball nearer the back foot, weight 65/45 on lead foot, shaft neutral to slight forward lean, little wrist break and smooth swing. Sounds great huh! but if it's a great chip it's luck, I have no idea whether it will be a chunk, thin or sweet strike everytime.

I don't want to go down the "use a 6 iron" route so what do you do that works?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Fats and thins sound like a little body movement.  A lot of people suggest starting with weight more to the left (forward) side, and let it remain there.  If your weight doesn't shift back and forward, your body won't be moving back and forward.  Along with that, I like the feel of moving my chest, minimizing the feel of hands and arms doing anything.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Get on Phil Mickelsons instagram....he has been posting short game tips every week.   I'd certainly take his word over mine 🙂

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

18 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

As a long time fat and thin chipper I could do with some inspirational simple techniques to try.

Currently I set up feet close together and open, ball nearer the back foot, weight 65/45 on lead foot, shaft neutral to slight forward lean, little wrist break and smooth swing. Sounds great huh! but if it's a great chip it's luck, I have no idea whether it will be a chunk, thin or sweet strike everytime.

This quick youtube video from the "Professor" might work for you. Also I'd setup a video next time you're out practicing. I found that sometimes what we think is happening with our bodies (movements, stance, etc) is not necessarily what's occurring.. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

37 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Personally, I think the break in the wrists may be your achilles heel - especially if it's something you're doing consciously. If you're catching it both fat and thin, then it's likely there is a timing issue revolving around this one aspect of your swing. Release too early and you dump it into the ground, too late and you skim it across the green. Dead wrists should clear this problem right up. You may have to tweak a few other things - depending on where you find the bottom of the swing, but this should do the trick IMO.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

@PMookie had a great method in his Ben Hogan testing I've been using that's very simple and effective. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Grab James Sieckmann's Your Short Game Solution.

All the wisdom of Pelz (He even taught under Pelz) boiled down to a much simpler system that feels very natural. Short book too.

Sounds like you are moving your lower body a lot on your chips.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Hard to answer this question. This is my problem area and I have been struggling for a while to find a permanent solution. Looking for a local instructor to help.

In my situation I don’t think it is lower body; I think it is my upper body. Thinks like not swinging on the right plane, dropping my shoulder to hit it fat or flipping to correct and hitting it thin.

Good luck, but it is a hard think to fix without knowing core problem.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

[mention=2567]PMookie[/mention] had a great method in his Ben Hogan testing I've been using that's very simple and effective. 

This has the idea of the stance and the shaft:

“To simplify things, get closer to the ball with the shaft more vertical. Feel like the clubhead is up on its toe (below). This sets up a straighter swing path, with the clubface always looking down the line you want to hit the ball, not rotating open and closed. Plus, the swing will be shorter, so less can go wrong.”

The ball is played off the back foot’s big toe. Wrists set, stroke is made similar to a putt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/no-chunk-chipping-stand-closer-to-simplify-your-swing/amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

10 minutes ago, PMookie said:

This has the idea of the stance and the shaft:
“To simplify things, get closer to the ball with the shaft more vertical. Feel like the clubhead is up on its toe (below). This sets up a straighter swing path, with the clubface always looking down the line you want to hit the ball, not rotating open and closed. Plus, the swing will be shorter, so less can go wrong.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/no-chunk-chipping-stand-closer-to-simplify-your-swing/amp

This works for me as well. I always find that I slip into the "too far away from the ball" stance.  As soon as I get closer to the ball, chips improve.

Put this with Phil's lesson and I think we've got something.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I use my 8i for chipping and it works great for me.  But I attribute that to having had success when i first started doing this years ago, after watching an older friend do this with lights out consistency, and simply committing to this method. I'm able to adjust the ball strike for more roll out or add height for a short bounce and less roll. This quite honestly is the most consistent and score saving part of my game.  My pre round practice almost always includes some short chips (I tell myself they're putts) before moving to my putter.

A couple of key things; I choke down slightly, keep my hand grip very light, always take a few practices swings, and silent count a "one-two" to keep the stroke consistent.  This has helped reduce those duff's, stubs, whatever you choose to call them.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Standard disclaimer: all "help me figure out something in my swing" advice on a golf forum is subject to a million variables we don't have access to, and demands a level of expertise few of us possess.

That said, now I'm going to jump in!

I definitely second @chemclub's recommendation of Sieckmann's work. I'd add to that Stan Utley's The Art of the Short Game, which has a lot of similar instruction.

Like @perseveringgolfer, I went through (about a season of) playing with the "ball way back, open stance, Dave Pelz" approach to the short game. For me (not saying it won't work for some), it made my short game much worse. It was simultaneously very mechanical and very unpredictable.

Sieckmann and Utley's approach encourages a more touch-based swing that allows the bounce of the club to work in your favor (rather that the steep swing that brings the leading edge into play too often).

If I could boil a lot of their content into a single thought that has helped me: Sieckmann asks you to imagine a flashlight on your chest. At setup, you want it aimed just in front of the ball. As you swing through, turn it toward your target. That encourages a nice body rotation through impact. Without it, my short game shots get very armsy and inconsistent.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

One thing a former player of mine taught me was to go buy a cheap, beat-up wedge. Then, grab some old balls, and practice chipping off of CONCRETE! You learn to use the bounce VERY quickly! I thought he was crazy, but he was taught this by Chuck Cook when the kid was a student of his back when the kid was going Pro. It’s crazy, but it DOES work if one tends to blade shots!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Chest, chest, chest. Focus on moving your chest. It will feel like way more body movement than necessary but it will work. Very little hands and use the triangle of arms and chest to hit it. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

My current method is a blend of Mickelson's method of setting up off the front foot or back foot depending on the desired ball flight, and Pelz's method of the length of the back swing determining the distance of the shot.

I use more feel than Pelz would probably recommend.  As @GolfSpy MPR mentioned, Pelz's method is more mechanical.  I did learn quite a bit from the Short Game Bible that I have incorporated into my play.  I do attribute an increased attentiveness to my short game to the fact that I was able to finally break 90.

@PMookie, practicing off of concrete sounds like a fun but dangerous way to learn.  Once the ice clears from my driveway in 5 months, I'll think about it as a training exercise.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

1 minute ago, palvord said:

As @GolfSpy MPR mentioned, Pelz's method is more mechanical.  I did learn quite a bit from the Short Game Bible that I have incorporated into my play.

I'd absolutely concur with this: there is a ton to learn from Pelz, even if you don't use everything he's teaching. I'm going to give a more serious attempt at the "four wedges, three swings with each wedge" distance control system this year (since SkyTrak has that feature built in). It's specifically his chipping technique that tied me up in knots 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'd absolutely concur with this: there is a ton to learn from Pelz, even if you don't use everything he's teaching. I'm going to give a more serious attempt at the "four wedges, three swings with each wedge" distance control system this year (since SkyTrak has that feature built in). It's specifically his chipping technique that tied me up in knots 🙂

Learning my 3 distances per wedge is my current challenge.  Right now I have my top end distance and 50% swing distance.  Figuring out the 75% swing is my current challenge.

@perseveringgolfer, is there a reason that you don't want to go with the, "chipping with a 6-iron technique?"  I find that grabbing my 7-iron and using a putting motion keeps me from making worse mistakes if I am having a struggle with wedges around the green.

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I absolutely cannot use 4 wedges, 3 swings around a green.  I have tried that with bad results. I will use my 58º most of the time, maybe a PW if I have a longer shot.  I control the distance by where I want to land the ball.  If I have too many club options It seems that I cannot commit to a club or the shot.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I absolutely cannot use 4 wedges, 3 swings around a green.  I have tried that with bad results. I will use my 58º most of the time, maybe a PW if I have a longer shot.  I control the distance by where I want to land the ball.  If I have too many club options It seems that I cannot commit to a club or the shot.

I've struggled with this as well after reading The Short Game Bible. Now I just go purely based on feel immediately around the green and base my decision on how much carry, roll, and (arguably) spin I want/need. Further out from the green, I tend just to use my SW unless I find myself beyond its maximum distance.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

22 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I've struggled with this as well after reading The Short Game Bible. Now I just go purely based on feel immediately around the green and base my decision on how much carry, roll, and (arguably) spin I want/need. Further out from the green, I tend just to use my SW unless I find myself beyond its maximum distance.

I've done the same myself: I use my 58° (PM Grind) only if the situation demands something that gets up immediately, and then my 54° for everything else from chipping to full swings out to 100-ish yards.

I'll still intend to use the 54° for everything greenside.

Being able to test with the SkyTrak will determine whether I take the Pelz system to the course this spring. If I can consistently hit stock yardages with specific swings, it's worth it. But if the distances don't slot perfectly, there's no point at all in bringing it to the course.

Full WITB with pictures

Grab James Sieckmann's Your Short Game Solution.

All the wisdom of Pelz (He even taught under Pelz) boiled down to a much simpler system that feels very natural. Short book too.

Sounds like you are moving your lower body a lot on your chips.

I second this! Great book, helped me alot.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, palvord said:

Learning my 3 distances per wedge is my current challenge.  Right now I have my top end distance and 50% swing distance.  Figuring out the 75% swing is my current challenge.

@perseveringgolfer, is there a reason that you don't want to go with the, "chipping with a 6-iron technique?"  I find that grabbing my 7-iron and using a putting motion keeps me from making worse mistakes if I am having a struggle with wedges around the green.

thick wet fringes, bunkers in the way, very soft and unpredictable bounces close to the green, undulating green needing to fly the ball past the undulation etc etc it does work great on links courses though.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

7 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

This quick youtube video from the "Professor" might work for you. Also I'd setup a video next time you're out practicing. I found that sometimes what we think is happening with our bodies (movements, stance, etc) is not necessarily what's occurring.. 

This is what helped me. I watched all the short game videos and then went and played in a tournament. After chipping in on 2 holes in a row, I got that feeling that the 3 other guys were expecting it on every other hole I had the chance to chip on after that, but it was like I had completely forgotten how to chip after those 2 holes and it was horrible the rest of the day.

Edit: Another one that helped was "The Truth About Golf" by AJ Bonar. He said that your PW should fly half way and roll the other half, Lob Wedge should fly 75% and roll 25%, and 6-iron should fly 25% and roll 75%. I still use the 6-iron 75/25 method when I have a lot of green to work with. But I mostly just use my 60 degree around the greens and in the sand.

Edited by M. Parsons
More info
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

29 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

thick wet fringes, bunkers in the way, very soft and unpredictable bounces close to the green, undulating green needing to fly the ball past the undulation etc etc it does work great on links courses though.

Makes complete sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Best of luck in your search for the best swing for you.

If you don't have time or feel like changing or analyzing your chipping motion try this...

1) Take a few practice chip swings.
2) Wherever you brushed the grass is the lowest part of your swing.
3) Make sure the ball is in that low point on the real swing.

I find that mentality takes the mechanics out of chipping and makes it more about shot making.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

1 hour ago, chemclub said:

If you don't have time or feel like changing or analyzing your chipping motion try this...

1) Take a few practice chip swings.
2) Wherever you brushed the grass is the lowest part of your swing.
3) Make sure the ball is in that low point on the real swing.

I find that mentality takes the mechanics out of chipping and makes it more about shot making.

When I am struggling getting the feeling of my chips or pitches, I take the same approach as my putting.  I will do the same preshot routine as putting, taking the exact practice strokes and time over the ball, etc.  This helps me take my mind out of the shot and try to alleviate the pressure I put on myself of the shot itself.  Technique is critical but in the middle of the round when I need to "take a breath and step back" to slow things down, this helps keep my head out of my way.  

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Read Stan Utley’s book - so much simpler than Phil/Pelz.

But keeping feet close together, a little open, weight on left side and lots of practice works.

That and pick a ball, any quality ball and use only it - different balls are a variable

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD