Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Lets hear your chipping tips/techniques...that work!

25 minutes ago, revkev said:

Read Stan Utley’s book - so much simpler than Phil/Pelz.

But keeping feet close together, a little open, weight on left side and lots of practice works.

That and pick a ball, any quality ball and use only it - different balls are a variable

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

OK, why a little open?

In Phil's video he did not say anything about an open stance.  It doesn't look like he was open.  Neither did Butch in the article posted by @PMookie.  I have always been told to open my stance by my instructors over the years.  I stopped doing this because most of my chips went left of the hole, down my foot line.  When I stand closer to the ball like Harmon says and treat it more like a putt, I need to be square.  Much better results.

I agree about the ball.  I switch balls from cold weather to warm weather.  It takes me a couple of practices chipping to get the feel of the different ball.  From the looks of the weather I will be using the cold weather ball for quite awhile once the snow melts.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kenny, a couple thing I work on:

So your clubface should point at your target. And then swing along your foot line.

Make sure to open the face then regrip if you are going to do it this way.

Opening steepens the swing, so in theory it should help with ball first contact.

At least this is how my mind sees it. I can do it all day long, but trying to explain it is like me trying to do common core math.

There are a lot of GREAT tips in here, but ..... none say, "Go see your pro".... Many pros offer focused short game clinics.

That said.. I'd agree with many of the pointers in here - especially the one about Low-Point Control. And taking the hands out.

I've practiced my short game A LOT and it has paid off. That's the best advice I can offer .. practice, practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. Hours and hundreds, if not thousands, of balls. 

Indoors works. Just focus. Hit enough balls and you will start to clearly recognize the difference between a solid "nip" vs a chunk or a thin.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Since you struggle, and want a simple tip or trick. Then keep it simple, if you are chipping, grab either a gap wedge, or PW, stand a bit closer to the ball so the shaft is more upright, with the heel of the club slightly off the ground, and then just use a putting stroke and you control the distance the same way you do when putting. Don’t overthink it just putt it with your wedge. Very simple technique. Stance should be square just like putting. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

OK, why a little open?
In Phil's video he did not say anything about an open stance.  It doesn't look like he was open.  Neither did Butch in the article posted by [mention=2567]PMookie[/mention].  I have always been told to open my stance by my instructors over the years.  I stopped doing this because most of my chips went left of the hole, down my foot line.  When I stand closer to the ball like Harmon says and treat it more like a putt, I need to be square.  Much better results.
I agree about the ball.  I switch balls from cold weather to warm weather.  It takes me a couple of practices chipping to get the feel of the different ball.  From the looks of the weather I will be using the cold weather ball for quite awhile once the snow melts.

Because it causes you to face the target - the little open thing. You become target.

I have no problem with switching balls for the season of the year - that makes sense - I’m talking about generally playing the same ball.

I’m not big on copying Phil, he’s incredibly gifted, most guys on tour can’t do what he does. Likewise Seve who was brilliant.

Simple, think simple and practice, it’s do easy to practice the short game.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Best tip I ever got, and it works many days, but not all, 'cause it's mental.  Assuming you have a basically sound technique, go up to your ball and remember that your subconscious is a lot better chipper (and golfer) than your conscious.  Just pick a spot where you want your ball to hit and let your subconscious do the work.  Steph Curry surely is not thinking any mechanics or calculating force and relative arc when he lets fly from 30 ft.  When I can get into this mindset, good things happen.  Sadly, there are many days where that mindset is totally elusive. Practice sessions focused solely on this mindset definitely help.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I'm going to take a simpler approach here. As a 6 handicap, you CAN chip, you are just having a mental block. Just always remember to not rush the club to the ball. This will allow your natural technique to stay consistent and take any "hit" out of the chip. Take your time while swinging, let the club get to the ball, don't get the club to the ball. Relax while chipping. Tell yourself that you are a good chipper, and you will improve. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

31 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I'm going to take a simpler approach here. As a 6 handicap, you CAN chip, you are just having a mental block. Just always remember to not rush the club to the ball. This will allow your natural technique to stay consistent and take any "hit" out of the chip. Take your time while swinging, let the club get to the ball, don't get the club to the ball. Relax while chipping. Tell yourself that you are a good chipper, and you will improve. 

This is a good reference.  Feel the weight of the club head in the swing and let it do the work.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Because it causes you to face the target - the little open thing. You become target.

I don't face the target on a full shot; the chip/pitch shot is just a smaller version of the full shot.  I work on my full shot, but when I get up to the green, I'm supposed to set up left but not swing left?  For me that introduces error in my swing.  The ball will go left.  I had been doing that for 10 years as that was what my swing coach said to do.  Not sure why it took me so long to change, other than I wanted to do it like most golfers do.

I guess some of us are ab normal.  Do what works.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Best chipping tip I can offer is to stay connected with your club by letting your body lead the take away rather than your hands. If you maintain an imaginary connection between the butt of your club and your sternum your body will stay connected with your club. This movement is very much like your putter stroke. The result is consistent downward contact with the ball, balance and tempo.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

some of us are ab normal

"You brought me an abnormal brain?!?!”

😆😆

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

14 hours ago, Shankster said:

I’ll post the video again. But you can absolutely not go wrong with learning from one of the best short game players of all time.

Shanks - that Seve vid is pure gold!!! Thx!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

That second Shawn Clement vid reminded me of an excellent tip I received in one of my early short game lessons..... 

Hold a golf ball in your trail hand, palm up, and gently toss the ball underhanded onto a spot on the green.

Pick up a club and do the EXACT SAME motion.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 2/28/2019 at 12:52 PM, JudgeSmails said:

Get on Phil Mickelsons instagram....he has been posting short game tips every week.   I'd certainly take his word over mine 🙂

I started following Phil's tips and i´m getting a great ball contact, that alone improved my approach shots.

Some simple but effective techniques in here...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Honestly I don't love the back foot ball position for most players. It creates a very steep attack angle that I think leads to a lot of chunks (or blades if you flip at it from back there).
I prefer the ball further forward, so you have to chase after it a little bit. If I'm struggling to find the bottom of the arc I'll practice for a few minutes standing on my left foot only w the right off the ground. That helps me center and keep the proper loft on the club.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

19 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I KNEW someone would get it.  I should have known it would be you!!  😂

I got it,  just didn't comment.  🙂 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is an odd one but it came from Michael breed and is all about contact. It’s extremely simple but effective. Concentrate on the front part of the ball during your chip. I like to put the logo facing the target and just look at the logo. It’s so simple but it really works well and gives more consistent contact

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

4 minutes ago, juspoole said:

This is an odd one but it came from Michael breed and is all about contact. It’s extremely simple but effective. Concentrate on the front part of the ball during your chip. I like to put the logo facing the target and just look at the logo. It’s so simple but it really works well and gives more consistent contact

As you cannot touch the ball until it's on the green this could prove difficult 😏

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On 3/2/2019 at 1:15 AM, gaussman1 said:

Honestly I don't love the back foot ball position for most players. It creates a very steep attack angle that I think leads to a lot of chunks (or blades if you flip at it from back there).
I prefer the ball further forward, so you have to chase after it a little bit. If I'm struggling to find the bottom of the arc I'll practice for a few minutes standing on my left foot only w the right off the ground. That helps me center and keep the proper loft on the club.

I like this a lot as back foot thins and chunks are my game right now. I found concentrating on chest turn in the downswing helps enormously but can lead to quickening of the swing again leading to thins and chunks.

I'll try some left foot only drills. Where do you position the ball and is your stance open and wide or small?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On 3/1/2019 at 8:15 PM, gaussman1 said:

This is an excellent point that I had never considered. I move the ball around in my stance a lot depending on how high or low I want the ball to go. At my skill level (or lack thereof), maybe I'm asking too much of myself hoping for a perfect strike every time.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I like this a lot as back foot thins and chunks are my game right now. I found concentrating on chest turn in the downswing helps enormously but can lead to quickening of the swing again leading to thins and chunks.
I'll try some left foot only drills. Where do you position the ball and is your stance open and wide or small?
My stance is open and narrow with ball up. That seems to make it easier for me to hit sort of "turn-turn" chips and pitches. And I stand pretty tall instead of bending way over the ball. Even flops I play this way. These are from a practice session hitting about 5 yard softies last summer. Still photos aren't super useful but it does show how much turn I'm using on such a short shot. For me the key is softness in the hands and arms on both sides of the ball and turn turn.Screenshot_20190304-115633.jpegScreenshot_20190304-115701.jpegScreenshot_20190304-115728.jpegScreenshot_20190304-115755.jpeg

My stance is open and narrow with ball up. That seems to make it easier for me to hit sort of "turn-turn" chips and pitches. And I stand pretty tall instead of bending way over the ball. Even flops I play this way. These are from a practice session hitting about 5 yard softies last summer. Still photos aren't super useful but it does show how much turn I'm using on such a short shot. For me the key is softness in the hands and arms on both sides of the ball and turn turn.Screenshot_20190304-115633.thumb.jpeg.0528c8b38c93a0a6a2c5c09697cedc48.jpegScreenshot_20190304-115701.thumb.jpeg.c84e11e42566dc84b78f9bb9b3896393.jpegScreenshot_20190304-115728.thumb.jpeg.66e02a9acb694b3c59f3a046e34e4dc1.jpegScreenshot_20190304-115755.thumb.jpeg.fbe489041e8d888176bceced5875c590.jpeg

Pretty big swing for a chip, I consider that more of a pitch.
I do agree with the turn aspect just do it with a shorter swing.
I am also finding that not dropping my right shoulder is key as well.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I agree.  Definitely a pitch shot, but a nice one though.  I think of a chip shot something less than a 9 o'clock backswing and a follow through without a release of the club.

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

These were 5-10 yard soft flops. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. As you can see clubface is wide open